• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2017 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Rncewind

So uh is Altus not gonna support Switch other than that SMT game that is supposed multiplatform? Vita as a dead console is getting a new game (we'll dance game)

atlus has very little need nor the necessity to gamble on a plattform with no huge install base, and more importantly, without their fanbase

is nothing new

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
atlus has very little need nor the necessity to gamble on a plattform with no huge install base, and more importantly, without their fanbase

is nothing new

Supporting a Switch isnt really a gamble at this point. But i agree that they dont have to support it with the games announced today since other platformers are a better fit and the games have been in development for at least a year.

Also the Switch version of P5 Dance would have a negative effect on them trying to get the hardcore fans to pick up the Vita and PS4 versions.

Alrus

The only surprising things about this announcement is that they're making two separate dancing games (seems a bit greedy but with that kind of game it's probably a good business move) and that they're not PS4 exclusive. (Last big Vita game to be released?)

You interested? ;)

Haha I already own one and I never have time to play it as is (only own Zelda and Snipperclips so far).

The only surprising things about this announcement is that they're making two separate dancing games (seems a bit greedy but with that kind of game it's probably a good business move) and that they're not PS4 exclusive. (Last big Vita game to be released?)

It'll be the last > 50k game, but even for Vita that's not particularly big. I doubt it'll outsell DanganRonpa V3. But yeah, it's the only relatively noteworthy thing in 2018 so far.

P4D limped past 100k:

Persona 4 Dancing All Night 2015 Atlus 94,036 / 125,504

So with two SKU's for these games, I'm not expecting either one to pass 100k individually.

Rncewind

Supporting a Switch isnt really a gamble at this point. But i agree that they dont have to support it with the games announced today since other platformers are a better fit and the games have been in development for at least a year.

Also the Switch version of P5 Dance would have a negative effect on them trying to get the hardcore fans to pick up the Vita and PS4 versions.

Yeah but we talking about atlus and game devolpment in 2017. Even atlus entered the HD stage so its not like they make can make this decisions on the fly. Going from that with what they showed on SMT HD, which barely qualifes as Tech demo imo, i would be high suprised if they have other big things for the switch in the pipeline in the near future (as in years, in atlus timeline).

Happy to eat crow here (as i did now, they did annouce a p3 spinoff game lol) but i dont see it happning.

Agree with the rest what you said

Mr Swine

Banned

is nothing new

Yet they supported Vita which was a "dead" system in Japan and the rest of the world. Guess they think that it's better to support Vita than Switch

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
What's baffling to me is the inability of jp developers to develop and launch ports of their games, while the smallest of the western Indies can launch several versions of their games WW. They took forever to start releasing their games on PC and we got mostly very delayed ports.

Persona had a fanbase on the 3DS for Q?

What's baffling to me is the inability of jp developers to develop and launch ports of their games, while the smallest of the western Indies can launch several versions of their games WW. They took forever to start releasing their games on PC and we got mostly very delayed ports.

Like I said earlier. The Japanese publishers are mad incompetent when it comes to new hardware. Look at EA, Activision, Ubi, Take Two, as soon as new hardware launches they have their games cross gen. You just assume.

People go on and on about visuals not being up to snuff but 90% of the time just a resolution boost amd minor additions will make people upgrade. People would rather play these games on their new hardware even if it doesn't fully utilize it.

Rncewind

Persona Q is a chibi game with low tier assets with for a HH with super huge install base

Like. its right there in the post you quoted

Also i dont get the mental leap from "a 5 month old system is getting no atlus support" to "a 3 year old system gets a persona spinoff", like whats the linking point here?

Rncewind

That doesn't explain SMT getting it's next mainline entry on the Switch which would be a high stakes "gamble" in it's own right but okay.

SMT is associated with nintendo/3ds at this point and im like 99 % sure that SMT HD UE4 dont run on a 3ds. Does not seem odd to me.

The more intressting point is if SMT Switch is exclusive

maxcriden

Switch sells 1,000 in just over a minute at Rakuten

The Japanese website Rakuten sold over 1,000 Nintendo Switch consoles in just over a minute including 700 Splatoon 2 bundles earlier today at 14:00 JST. The number of stock was displayed on the Rakuten website so will be representative of the actual number sold.

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/163708846404 (via GoNintendo.com)

Apologies if already posted. Searched the thread but couldn't find it.

Huh I thought P4D sold better than that. Guess there's not much overlap between Miku and Persona fans...
Yeah I expected P4D to sell a lot better but I think the troubled development + the delays really hurt it. It came out well after the initial hype.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Very nice for DQXI- especially PS4 version. Thought PS4 hardware might be a bit higher, but that's quibbling.

cw_sasuke

Yeah but we talking about atlus and game devolpment in 2017. Even atlus entered the HD stage so its not like they make can make this decisions on the fly. Going from that with what they showed on SMT HD, which barely qualifes as Tech demo imo, i would be high suprised if they have other big things for the switch in the pipeline in the near future (as in years, in atlus timeline).

Happy to eat crow here (as i did now, they did annouce a p3 spinoff game lol) but i dont see it happning.

Agree with the rest what you said

I mean im more or less agreeing - there are reasons why Atlus doesnt need or want to bring these games to Switch. I dont think Switch being a gamble is one of them. We pretty much know which part Switch will play in the industry...so does Atlus, which is why they were okay showing off SMT for it.

When it comes to Atlus the only things i expect for now are the SMT HD game, #FE port and the FES/Golden type re-release of P5. But except of #FE these releases are like 18-24 months away.
Like I said earlier. The Japanese publishers are mad incompetent when it comes to new hardware. Look at EA, Activision, Ubi, Take Two, as soon as new hardware launches they have their games cross gen. You just assume.

People go on and on about visuals not being up to snuff but 90% of the time just a resolution boost amd minor additions will make people upgrade. People would rather play these games on their new hardware even if it doesn't fully utilize it.

While i agree...i dont think thats completely fair. The western publishers target a much bigger market than a niche console dev ala atlus. Hell even DQXI is a good example...it sold +2m on two consoles, but it likely also had sold 2m if it was just a 3DS game. Thats the reason why many of them just dont bother with multiplattforms development. Every 3DS game could have been on Vita either...but it likely wouldnt have resulted in much higher total sales.

If you are targeting the Persona fanbase there really is no reason to bring the game to Switch as well if have the game running on PS4/Vita...total sales would change, only that the added Switch sales would be offset but whatever they lost on PS4/Vita.

Since Switch is pretty much console and portable in one it could have even worse impact on total sales for publishers who rely/hope that the fans double dip and get both versions.

Rncewind

While i agree...i dont think thats completely fair. The western publishers target a much bigger market than a niche console dev ala atlus. Hell even DQXI is a good example...it sold +2m on two consoles, but it likely also had sold 2m if it was just a 3DS game. Thats the reason why many of them just dont bother with multiplattforms development. Every 3DS game could have been on Vita either...but it likely wouldnt have resulted in much higher total sales.

If you are targeting the Persona fanbase there really is no reason to bring the game to Switch as well if have the game running on PS4/Vita...total sales would change, only that the added Switch sales would be offset but whatever they lost on PS4/Vita.

Since Switch is pretty much console and portable in one it could have even worse impact on total sales for publishers who rely/hope that the fans double dip and get both versions.

this is also a good point. While i think porting to PC can have its benefits because there is really an audience that is really secluded from the "normal" console market, when you port stuff that is more reliant on a dedicated fanbase or is simply not a huge thing to other console there is not much gained. Same reason why Persona Q for example doesnt need a port. The dedicated persona base is gonna buy it regardless of the plattform and you can also cash in on EO fanbase on 3ds. The sales would not would really up in the sum i think.

Same goes as you said with Persona 5, there is no "need" (altho as you said it gonna be happen maybe in 1 - 2 years) to port in on a switch asap because there is already a high colleration of the audience, same with DQ XI

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Hardware launches are consistently the best way to introduce new IPs, as people are more open to try new things and there's less competition from established IPs. I would think the same about expanding the audience of your IPs. While not a hardware launch per se, P5 exploded from P4 and that wouldn't be impossible without the PS4 Sku, even though Persona fans would have followed IP to the PS3.

Same goes as you said with Persona 5, there is no "need" (altho as you said it gonna be happen maybe in 1 - 2 years) to port in on a switch asap because there is already a high colleration of the audience, same with DQ XI

Keep targeting only your established audience is a 100% guaranteed recipe for sales stagnation. Even Q was a risk, as its appeal is based on a franchise that Atlus has kept Sony exclusive until then, and still does for the main entries. Is not like the 3DS was lacking on EO games.

DrWong

So we know the Switch is at least over 1,000!

Very interested to know what the new baseline is (or if this will just be a single post-Splatoon launch week bump).
c1ef878874eef3eb93466c77ba651bb4.jpg

They could target a bigger market (hint western ones) if they embraced multiplatform development. It's better to support a system early and drop it if it's not up to snuff then wait and wait for older platforms to totally die off. Are they going to release a 3DS game in late 2018 internationally? It's just a pointless exercise not going cross platform when new hardware launches. Not doing this just condemns software to dying systems.

You still help cultivate a userbase on new hardware and that will benefit you down the line. But this isn't really about Persona. My point is Japanese publishers failure to transition to new hardware both hurts them and their competitiveness internationally. And they basically condemn Sony and Nintendo to having to do the insane lifting gettimg platforms off the ground.

When I talked about consoles being able to do more than 2 million a year this was part of my point. If publishers refuse to transition there is no point in picking up new hardware early. Think of it this way. As a total what do you lose going cross gen?

What were Rakuten numbers from that week? Can't remember that we got numbers from them.

I've no idea i just remember the overall hints being similar to the week before for non bundle, so 30k-ish which implied a 30/70 split which is what ratukan is now implying too

cw_sasuke

this is also a good point. While i think porting to PC can have its benefits because there is really an audience that is really secluded from the "normal" console market, when you port stuff that is more reliant on a dedicated fanbase or is simply not a huge thing to other console there is not much gained. Same reason why Persona Q for example doesnt need a port. The dedicated persona base is gonna buy it regardless of the plattform and you can also cash in on EO fanbase on 3ds. The sales would not would really up in the sum i think.
Yeah, big western publishers can justify the overhead because of the additional sales they get from adding other systems. But even then it doesnt make always sense...see Nintendo western support. If it doesnt result in additional revenue, why bother ?

Its also the reason why the Xbox Once even though it has a solid installed base is getting ignored when it comes to JRPGs - its expected at this point that everyone interested in this genre is on PS4 or at least has access to a Gaming-PC/Steam.
Hardware launches are consistently the best way to introduce new IPs, as people are more open to try new things and there's less competition from established IPs. I would think the same about expanding the audience of your IPs. While not a hardware launch per se, P5 exploded from P4 and that wouldn't be impossible without the PS4 Sku, even though Persona fans would have followed IP to the PS3.
P5 is a special case though - the game was delayed for a quite a bit and had to come to PS4 as well since the PS3 just wouldnt be as viable in 2016 ad for the western market.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
They could target a bigger market (hint western ones) if they embraced multiplatform development. It's better to support a system early and drop it if it's not up to snuff then wait and wait for older platforms to totally die off. Are they going to release a 3DS game in late 2018 internationally? It's just a pointless exercise not going cross platform when new hardware launches. Not doing this just condemns software to dying systems.

This also an important factor. And 2018 would be a best case scenario, I expect a 2019 for a western release of Q2. How much does the Western 2008 PSP released did?

P5 is a special case though - the game was delayed for a quite a bit and had to come to PS4 as well since the PS3 just wouldnt be as viable in 2016 ad for the western market.
It doesn't take a crystal ball to think the same about the 3DS on 2019.

cw_sasuke

Why shouldnt they be able to release 2018 on 3DS ? We are likely getting DQXI next year as well. Is there any law that prevents publishers to release 3DS games in 2018 ?

2DS XL just launched with a couple of interesting 3DS games... this year it will have another Pokemon game as a big Holiday title. Those sold 3DS system wont just vanish from the earth just because of Switch.

PS. For all we know, they could consider Switch releases for later western releases when market conditions forces their hand or a first party - in this case Nintendo - steps in, though thats highly unlikely.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to think the same about the 3DS on 2019.

P5 is/was the companies biggest and most important project....are we really compare this to a low budget Q2 on 3DS ? Its not the same.
Them porting over #FE is much more likely than Q2. The EO/Q2 series pretty much exists only because of the DS/3DS line. It would be something else if it was just a standard console game ala SMT Next or Persona Main series.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have much trust on DQXI 3DS localization to be a thing to be honest. There's a reason why SE hasn't announced platforms for it yet.

Rncewind

This also an important factor. And 2018 would be a best case scenario, I expect a 2019 for a western release of Q2. How much does the Western 2008 PSP released did?

So ok, lets do the math.

You gonna relese a game that its base is 3ds on switch on ps4 and pc and xbox one in 2018/19 with graphics of the glorious 240p pica chip? No you gonna not do that because it would be terrible outdated. So you need to do a upport, of all the mentioned system above.
For a low budget spinoff title

Seems very unfeasible

Early 2016 the Vita was the PS system with the biggest active userbase. If they then had announced a Vita exclusive Persona spin-off, it wouldn't have been necessarily strange, even if it was scheduled for a Late 2017 release. However, right now the tables have turned. The Vita is now less popular than the PS4 in both hardware and software sales. It would make sense to port it over to PS4 too.

The same goes for the 3DS. Of course the New 2DS LL just launched and a couple of big games are scheduled for release, but it's only a matter of time, and to depend on a system that's on its retour (not even now, but in 18-24 months) is ridiculous. I totally understand that they choose to develop for the 3DS, but I'm afraid sales will be disappointing when it finally releases - assuming that's in H2 2018). Internationally the 3DS will be dead and by that time most of Japan will probably have transitioned too.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So ok, lets do the math.

You gonna relese a game that its base is 3ds on switch on ps4 and pc and xbox one in 2018/19 with graphics of the glorious 240p pica chip? No you gonna not do that because it would be terrible outdated. So you need to do a upport, of all the mentioned system above.
For a low budget spinoff title

Seems very unfeasible

Ports of PSP assets seem to be worth it on Steam at least, since they keep porting games. And games with NES/SNES graphics are all the rage on the indie scene.

L~A

Media Create

New2DS LL 110,963
Switch 89,314
PS4 82,368
New3DS LL 26,587
PS4 Pro 10,988
Vita 4,967
2DS 3,680
New3DS 1,370
Wii U 142
PS3 121
Xbox One 94

DQXI 3DS > 1 148 888
DQX PS4 > 950 315
Splatoon 2: 105k

Rncewind

Ports of PSP assets seem to be worth it on Steam at least, since they keep porting games. And games with NES/SNES graphics are all the rage on the indie scene.

How much of that "ports of psp assets" sell for 40 $ on steam?
Also i dont even comperhend the last sentence. Persona Q does not even look remotly like nes/snes and even if it dead it has nothing to do with the price range of the game.

edit: didnt expect that switch numbers

Why shouldnt they be able to release 2018 on 3DS ? We are likely getting DQXI next year as well. Is there any law that prevents publishers to release 3DS games in 2018 ?

2DS XL just launched with a couple of interesting 3DS games... this year it will have another Pokemon game as a big Holiday title. Those sold 3DS system wont just vanish from the earth just because of Switch.

PS. For all we know, they could consider Switch releases for later western releases when market conditions forces their hand or a first party - in this case Nintendo - steps in, though thats highly unlikely.

I'm talking about the software situation. Not the ability or lack of to physically launch a game. Comparing Nintendo releases a pokemon at the end of the year with literally any third party release on the 3DS next year is misguided. In 2018 you are gonna see 3DS sales drop off a cliff. The solution is not to skip a western release either.

Top Bottom