• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2012 (Jan 16 - Jan 22)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
that's is good, first day sales already beat The Mercenaries 3D lifetime sales in Japan right?

Considering the about 100k number...almost. Mercenaires sold almost 120k in the end.
RE:R also, possibly did in line with Umbrella Chronicles first week (106k), better than Revival Selection's one (93k) with just one day.

But since this is a main chapter, it had to start better than spin-offs / collections :p

Oh, thanks Chris! :D

EDIT: PES 2012 is such a loser! 10.525 through 25 December being released on 8th December. Good job, Konami :lol

Mpl90

Comgnet Daily Preorder Chart

Updated: Jan 30, 2012 (Mon) 08:00
Ranking is closed at January 29, 2012

[PS3] Musou One Piece (Limited Edition) - 168pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Taisen 2 - 105pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 102Pt
[PSP] Tales of Heroes Limited Edition Premium Twin BOX Brave - 72pt
[PS3] Binary Domain - 69pt
[PSP] I pretend Limited quantities Ta ぽ little friend "BOX very unfortunate girl × × game = shame" - 62pt
[PSP] BOX ☆ limitation agreement portable Madoka Magika Maho Shojo (Full, Limited Edition) - 56pt
[3DS] NEW Love Plus - 43pt
[3DS] Puchipuku pack and Future Stars Project mirai Hatsune Miku - 40pt
[PS3] Soul Calibur V - 37pt
[PS3] TREASURE BOX One Piece Warriors - 36pt
[PSP] Shining Blade - 32pt
[3DS] Land of Harvest Moon begins - 31pt
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid Rising - 30pt
[PS3] Generation Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm NARUTO - 28pt
[PSP] Black Panther Yakuza Ashura Part 2 - 27pt
[PSV] Ragnarok Odyssey - 27pt
[PSP] Sundered centuries when spun Suikoden - 26pt
[PSP] Fotokano - 26pt
[3DS] Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] - 23pt

[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors - 204pt
[PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage - 136pt

[3DS] New Love Plus - 43pt
[NDS] Love Plus + - 43pt

[PS3] Soul Calibur V - 37pt
[PS3] Soul Calibur IV - 71pt

And now, the real fun

Comgnet Weekly Sales Chart

Updated: Jan 30, 2012 (Mon) 08:00
Index aggregation period: 29 January 2012 ~ January 23, 2012

[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 558pt
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 356pt
[1053] Tales of Innocence R - 128pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 73pt
[Xbox360] Armored Core 5 - 54pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 53pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 44pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 40pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 26pt
[3DS] Legacy of Emperor Napoleon R Rhythm Thief - 18pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 17pt
[Wii] Disney and the Magic Brush ~ ~ Epic Mickey Mickey Mouse - 17pt
[PS3] OROCHI 2 Warriors (Limited Edition) - 17pt
[Wii] GO VACATION (Go Travel) - 16pt
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Path of horses - 14pt
[3DS] One Piece Unlimited Cruise Specials - 14pt
[PS3] Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition PlayStation3 the Best - 13Pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Shine - 13pt
[Wii] Kirby of the Stars Wii - 12pt
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 12pt

Last week chart

Updated: Jan 23, 2012 (Mon) 08:00
Index aggregation period: 22 January 2012 ~ January 16, 2012

[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 96pt
[3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 81pt
[3DS] Legacy of Emperor Napoleon R Rhythm Thief - 58pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 51pt
[Xbox360] sword fight Kagura, Z ~ ~ Sister - 36pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 34pt
[3DS] Beyond the Labyrinth - 34pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 33pt
[PS3] OROCHI 2 Warriors (Limited Edition) - 32pt
[PSP] I & II Machine God tier Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - 26pt
[Wii] GO VACATION (Go Travel) - 21pt
[PSP] Heroes Fantasia - 21pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Dark - 21pt
[3DS] Inazuma Eleven GO Shine - 20pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 15pt
[PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 15pt
[PSP] Heroes Fantasia Limited Edition "Limited Edition" - 15pt
[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 15pt
[PSP] Boost Cardboard Senki - 14pt
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 14pt

[PS3] Armored Core V - 558pt
[PS3] Armored Core: For Answer - 203pt

[360] Armored Core V - 54pt
[360] Armored Core: For Answer - 67pt

[3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations - 356pt
[3DS] Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - 133pt

[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 128pt
[3DS] Tales of the Abyss - 196pt

The Comgnet chart shows also that probably 3DS dropped another bit despite Revelations ( or at least, this is what it seems looking at how the big three dropped, but maybe they dropped due to the coming of another pretty relevant game...we'll see! ), that there must have been some deals for Epic Mickey and One Piece UC SP for Comgnet users, or something else... and that the Gundam game have been such an absolutely epic fail.

Mr Swine

Banned
So how does Vita's software sales fare compared to the 3DS software sales? Curious since the Vita is one month old now and are the Japanese devs happy for the sales?

duckroll

Man I wish we could have come to an agreement a long time ago when it was first suggested that we ban Comgnet numbers because of common sense confusion.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Man I wish we could have come to an agreement a long time ago when it was first suggested that we ban Comgnet numbers because of common sense confusion.

you have my axe.

Managed to snag a (used) copy of Armored Core V (PS3) thankfully - seems awesome so far. Speed is down a bit (at least it seems to be) so my dream of this being more Chromehound-y might come true!

Will be hitting some stores today - wonder if it's back in stock.

Road

Well, Gravity Daze is going to bomba.

In other news, the February March edition of the Famitsu Xbox 360 magazine out today has the 2011 Top 30 and an all-time Top 50 for the platform.

Mpl90

...Ok, guys, I don't know. I thought posting them could have been a good thing, something like an indication, a sort of a preview of what we could expect for the next week, with even comparisons for many titles, but if you really want me to stop posting them, I'll stop, ok? :p

duckroll

Well, Gravity Daze is going to bomba.

Yeah it's definitely going to bomb hard. But trying to extrapolate how well certain titles on the list will do based on Comgnet's pre-orders alone is totally silly. But yet, as long as they remain a reference source for Mpl90 to obsess over like a bunch of other meaningless info sources he tends to, others will be tempted to use that as the main discussion point. Same with Amazon rankings, random retailer blogs, etc.

...Ok, guys, I don't know. I thought posting them could have been a good thing, something like an indication, a sort of a preview of what we could expect for the next week, with even comparisons for many titles, but if you really want me to stop posting them, I'll stop, ok? :p

Most of us really do love you here. It's just that there's a bit too much excitement over ever piece of information. >_<

Mpl90

Ok: no more Comgnet / Amazon watch. What I want here is to be the most useful possible to the discussion, an active partecipation not only with just my opinion. But if what I think could be useful poisons the discussion instead of improving it, why to continue? :D

Now, about Gravity Daze: unfortunately, I think it'll bomb too. There's a slight possibility it could become a sort of a little sleeper hit, due to the fact it seems a quality brand new effort so early in Vita's lifespan, but it's really thin.

guek

Banned
I know this is a media create thread, but what do you guys think are the chances of vita lighting up the sales charts in the US? It's only a few weeks away and I'm not really feeling any sense of overall hype in the states or seeing any kind of pre-launch marketing blitz.

I know this is a media create thread, but what do you guys think are the chances of vita lighting up the sales charts in the US? It's only a few weeks away and I'm not really feeling any sense of overall hype in the states or seeing any kind of pre-launch marketing blitz.
February is typically a weak retail month so it has an uphill battle. I wouldn't expect miracles.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
adding in here :

There are three 7-11's within walking distance of my house.

All of them have reduced Vita to 19,800 for Wifi, 24,800 for 3G.
It _was_ odd of them to carry the machine from day 1 , so don't think this marks a big price cut elsewhere, but might just pop in a few other combini's to check whether other places follow suit.

LOCK

Same with Amazon rankings, random retailer blogs, etc.

I do not agree that every anecdotal piece of evidence is not worth talking about.

Most of us really do love you here. It's just that there's a bit too much excitement over ever piece of information. >_<

I also don't feel that this is a negative either.

Other than from the enthusiast crowd, I don't "sense" any hype whatsoever for the Vita.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really don't see the problem with stuff like the Comgnet charts. I'd rather have anecdotal stuff to discuss over nothing at all between Media Create days.

Stupid people will take stupid conclusions based on speculation with or without the charts anyway, so I don't see why it matters.

duckroll

I do not agree that every anecdotal piece of evidence is not worth talking about.

It's worth talking about if you have a specific point it could address. It's not worth talking about if all you do every week is spam stuff like that with no context to "help generate discussion" because people who casually post on the thread are going to take that as meaningful information, and regular people who post on this thread have to explain again and again that such information does not always indicate a trend or meaningful information. It is worse when the information is not even in a language most people here can read.

It's not about the information being invalid, but how it is being presented.

Dalthien

Please do.

I apologize in advance for pulling this quote out, because I really don't mean to play "gotcha", because we can find isolated gotcha examples on anybody. But it seems to be the best way of making the point in this particular case.

This was what you said disputing someone's prediction about FFXIII-2, which was pretty much exactly what comg was showing relative to FFXIII.

But 600k first week crawling to 800k lifetime wouldn't be a bomb, it would be a spectacular ultra-mega-bomb, an event so far outside Square's expectations that it would probably change their entire approach to the series for all future installments. Nothing you have said so far indicates an awareness of the magnitude of what exactly you are predicting here.

As I said, I'm not trying to play "gotcha", but to provide a clear-cut example where comg showed quite clearly that FFXIII-2 was very badly under-performing relative to it's predecessor. So there is some value present in the charts. It's not a magic 8-ball showing all the answers, and there are a bunch of variables to be taken into account, such as that comg tends to be biased towards Playstation titles, core titles, etc. And really, it holds the most promise when used to compare similar titles on similar platforms, such as comparing FFXIII-2 to FFXIII.

Do people end up reading too much into the comg data, resulting in some pretty silly conversations? Of course. But the same thing happens with people using Famitsu historical data from garaph comparing sales from different timelines or different platforms or different userbases that also result in some very silly discussions.

Anyway, it's not a big deal either way, but Mpl90 only posts the comg charts on Sundays, which is well after the main sales discussion has already trailed off for the week anyway. So it doesn't seem all that harmful in that light.

This is a valid point.

Biff

Sorry for the slightly-off topic post but I have a case discussion for lecture tomorrow about the 'Console Wars', believe it or not (it's a Strategy class, just lucked out on the case choice).

I'm searching everywhere for an accurate worldwide sales-to-date chart of PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii. I'm hoping for a simple line chart to show how quickly Wii pulled away at the beginning, and how quickly PS3/360 are catching up now. Most I've found online seem to end at 2009.

I also don't want to bring blatant lies and shit data in by using chartzzzzzzzzzzz, hence I come to you guys for help. Does anyone have a link, or even an Excel file that's been tracking worldwide data since launch?

Please help me look like a total baws in front of my classmates. Thanks everyone :)

Honest question: relative to the amount of hardware out there, what would be considered a successful launch for Gravity Daze? At what point do you think it would be considered a bomb?

As I said, I'm not trying to play "gotcha", but to provide a clear-cut example where comg showed quite clearly that FFXIII-2 was very badly under-performing relative to it's predecessor.

As duckroll points out, we're not asking for a ban on mention or discussion of Comgnet numbers. What I'm dissatisfied with is a presentation of a full, unedited list, which has a few effects: it presents the Comgnet figures as data (rather than high-variance anecdotal data); it privileges the numbers as a direct source of relevant data (when usually they're just telling us stuff we already know); and they present Comgnet as an active, equivalent part of our sales discussion (rather than a single, usually minor source of info about the real data.)

If people want to check the numbers and report any that are particularly unusual given the thread's overall expectations, or summarize trends, that's fine. It's just the overall report of all the figures together we want to discourage.

Dalthien

If people want to check the numbers and report any that are particularly unusual given the thread's overall expectations, or summarize trends, that's fine. It's just the overall report of all the figures together we want to discourage.
Yeah - I have no problem with this line of thought.

Kazerei

Banned
Sorry for the slightly-off topic post but I have a case discussion for lecture tomorrow about the 'Console Wars', believe it or not (it's a Strategy class, just lucked out on the case choice).

I'm searching everywhere for an accurate worldwide sales-to-date chart of PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii. I'm hoping for a simple line chart to show how quickly Wii pulled away at the beginning, and how quickly PS3/360 are catching up now. Most I've found online seem to end at 2009.

I also don't want to bring blatant lies and shit data in by using chartzzzzzzzzzzz, hence I come to you guys for help. Does anyone have a link, or even an Excel file that's been tracking worldwide data since launch?

Please help me look like a total baws in front of my classmates. Thanks everyone :)

vgsales.wikia.com is a good place to start, but it hasn't been updated in a year or so. If you want to gather more recent data, worldwide figures are usually obtained from financial reports, released once per quarter. Note that Sony and Nintendo's fiscal year starts April 1, while Microsoft's fiscal year starts July 1. Good luck.

duckroll

I also want to make it clear that while I'm a moderator, a lot of the time I'm also just expressing a viewpoint here, based on what I think is best for the thread. If a lot of regular contributors to the thread disagree, we can definitely come to a consensus about what we want to discuss and what we don't in the thread.

Mpl90

Honest question: relative to the amount of hardware out there, what would be considered a successful launch for Gravity Daze? At what point do you think it would be considered a bomb?

In my opinion, a 40-50k would be a good opening for the game. But it will never do as much :(

duckroll

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201201/30009160.html

It has been reported that in the last 10 days, the Ragnarok Odyssey demo on PSN has enjoyed over 100k of downloads! Surely this means that Japan is super excited for the game, and will rush to buy the game this week! But wait, there's a catch! Surely since most of them familiarized themselves with the game on PSN, they would also buy the game on PSN instead of a retail store! This means Ragnarok Odyssey will sell over 100k this week, but only on PSN! No one can prove me wrong! :eek:

Mpl90

It has been reported that in the last 10 days, the Ragnarok Odyssey demo on PSN has enjoyed over 100k of downloads! Surely this means that Japan is super excited for the game, and will rush to buy the game this week! But wait, there's a catch! Surely since most of them familiarized themselves with the game on PSN, they would also buy the game on PSN instead of a retail store! This means Ragnarok Odyssey will sell over 100k this week, but only on PSN! No one can prove me wrong! :eek:

Ah, ah!

Well, the number of downloads for the demo is good, considering of which game we're talking about, right? Just, GunHo has to hope it doesn't happen here what happened with Ace Combat X2 on PSP :D

LOCK

It's worth talking about if you have a specific point it could address. It's not worth talking about if all you do every week is spam stuff like that with no context to "help generate discussion" because people who casually post on the thread are going to take that as meaningful information, and regular people who post on this thread have to explain again and again that such information does not always indicate a trend or meaningful information. It is worse when the information is not even in a language most people here can read.

Ok, fair point which I agree with.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mpl90 said:
Well, the number of downloads for the demo is good, considering of which game we're talking about, right?
Hasn't the DS Ragnarok game sold 100-200k or something? And with this being another MH clone, surely at least the demo interest should be half decent.

At any rate the demo looks like a more interesting effort then the Tales game - whatever little good that will do it.

Hasn't the DS Ragnarok game sold 100-200k or something? And with this being another MH clone, surely at least the demo interest should be half decent.

At any rate the demo looks like a more interesting effort then the Tales game - whatever little good that will do it.

No, more like 50k, while the PSP one just 17k.
Btw, the DS one was completely different from the Vita one, IIRC.

Michan

adding in here :

There are three 7-11's within walking distance of my house.

All of them have reduced Vita to 19,800 for Wifi, 24,800 for 3G.
It _was_ odd of them to carry the machine from day 1 , so don't think this marks a big price cut elsewhere, but might just pop in a few other combini's to check whether other places follow suit.

...combinis are selling Vitas?

Mpl90

No, more like 50k, while the PSP one just 17k.
Btw, the DS one was completely different from the Vita one, IIRC.

[NDS] Ragnarok Online DS (GungHo Works) - 33.219 / 49.470 / 67,15% 18/12/08
[PSP] Ragnarok: Hikari to Yami no Koujo (GungHo Online Entertainment) - 17.788 / 17.788 / 100,00% 27/10/11

Kenka

100k for a demo in Japan ? Sounds übergood ! Duckie, you really added some useful info in this thread, alright you wanted to make a point but the news itself is truly informative.

Spiegel

100k downloads and only 2700 ratings.
So, if Minna no Golf has 1600 ratings... someone do the math!

Top Bottom