• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2013 (Jan 14 - Jan 20)

test_account

XP-39C²
Looks like Mario Kart U and/or Super Mario U will be a holiday 2013 title, especially concidering that they're playable at E3 this year. Wii Party U and Zelda Windwalker HD remake will probably also make it out this year, and perhaps Yoshi U as well.

Now that Nintendo's blown its proverbial load of announcements for like the next year or so, presumably the notion of announcements, particularly those of third parties, being held back will cease?

Will the Nintendo Direct have any impact on the current trajectory though, or does it need releases, not just announcements.

vareon

Looks like Mario Kart U and/or Super Mario U will be a holiday 2013 title, especially concidering that they're playable at E3 this year. Wii Party U and Zelda Windwalker HD remake will probably also make it out this year, and perhaps Yoshi U as well.

Wind Waker is stated for Fall I believe.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo Direct consisted of:

-Smash, Mario, and Mario Kart at E3
-X (Monolithsoft multiplayer RPG that looks like Xenoblade with drivable mechs)
-Yoshi's Yarn
-Zelda Wii U implied to be non-linear and multiplayer
-MegaTen x Fire Emblem
-Windwaker HD

They certainly sold me on a Wii U. Now let's see if they've sold Japan. (Edit: Over the next 2-3 years as these games come out. Not next week in case that wasn't clear. I'm certainly not buying one until things I want are out.)

Now that Nintendo's blown its proverbial load of announcements for like the next year or so, presumably the notion of announcements, particularly those of third parties, being held back will cease?

Will the Nintendo Direct have any impact on the current trajectory though, or does it need releases, not just announcements.

Yeah at this point Nintendo has announced far into the future, so I think we can assume Wii U games will be announced whenever.

FLAguy954

A combination of releases and anouncements works out the best (see 3ds).

Looks like Mario Kart U and/or Super Mario U will be a holiday 2013 title, especially concidering that they're playable at E3 this year.
Well, no guarantee. The first Galaxy was playable E3 2006. But perhaps more likely given this is a Nintendo who talks about things less early.

Yeah this still means things will be bad for Wii U for a while, but at least there is some hope now. They're going to have a rough time until then.

The Boat

Nintendo Direct consisted of:

-Smash, Mario, and Mario Kart at E3
-X (Monolithsoft multiplayer RPG that looks like Xenoblade with drivable mechs)
-Yoshi's Yarn
-Zelda Wii U implied to be non-linear and multiplayer
-MegaTen x Fire Emblem
-Windwaker HD

They certainly sold me on a Wii U. Now let's see if they've sold Japan.

Yeah at this point Nintendo has announced far into the future, so I think we can assume Wii U games will be announced whenever.
I do 't think announcements are as important as people make them out to be. It's all about the releases.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I do 't think announcements are as important as people make them out to be. It's all about the releases.

My statement was more about the 2-3 years these will come out over instead of today.

The Wii U will presumably be halfway in the grave for quite a while.

Alrus

The Wii U ND at least showed they had quite a few games planned but they pretty much admitted that they had a shitty line up for Jan-March because they had to delay some of their games. Wii U has some really tough times in front of itself.

What they announced is very exciting as a fan but I don't think it's going to change the Wii U's fate drastically. Nintendo software announcements are nice but we always knew they were coming. The 3rd party situation is still very worrying.

Animal Crossing sales actually increased? Damn
And :( at the LBP Karting sales...no love for Sackboy in Japan :(

LBP Karting bombed everywhere. Sony didn't really push it that well and I don't LBP was big enough a franchise to have successful spin-offs.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, no guarantee. The first Galaxy was playable E3 2006. But perhaps more likely given this is a Nintendo who talks about things less early.
Ah ok. I didnt know it was playable, i thought they only showed an in-game trailer for it. But yeah, if i should guess between Mario Kart and Super Mario U, i would guess more on Mario Kart making it out this year than Super Mario U.

Ah ok. I didnt know it was playable, i thought they only showed an in-game trailer for it. But yeah, if i should guess between Mario Kart and Super Mario U, i would guess more on Mario Kart making it out this year than Super Mario U.

If Wii U is almost dead, Nintendo will have both out.

test_account

XP-39C²
If Wii U is almost dead, Nintendo will have both out.
If they have the developement resource to do it, they might aim for getting both games out this year indeed. But it depends a lot on how far they've gotten in the developement. It was almost 1.5 year between playable Galaxy 1 and the final release date. Hard to say if it will be a similar senario like that or if they have been working for a longer time on Super Mario U when they first demo it compared to how much they had worked on Galaxy when they first demoed it.

Kid Ying

12./10. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 8.408 / 393.485 (-16%)
19./26. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040) - 5.844 / 360.313

dem taikos

Please bring it to the US, digital release, I don't care! :(
Taiko drum master failed so much that i honestly doubt that we will ever see the series again in english (i did my part! I bought 3 COPIES! Even though i sold two of them. lol). I really love Taiko.

Someone said last week that the fact that there was not any other big release competing against Taiko helped Taiko 5, and i agree, since Taiko 4 had to compete against Zelda, but i think that maybe the Wiiu is helping it too. People buying the last Taiko on Wii to play on the Wiiu wouldn't be a shock to me. It's a very popular series, after all.

Ever since the PS2 days, Taiko always had that kind of pattern. The first one being the biggest seller and the following ones selling less and less and that pattern mantained itself on the PSP, DS and Wii. This one is the first that's breaking it, so it's quite something.

P90

With what was shown today at the Nintendo Direct, this week's numbers for WiiU aren't that distressing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This must have been the most desperate Nintendo I've seen in years. From not announcing anything until close to release they went to announcements of announcements.

Kenka

Here it is :)
Bluntly said, this AC entry will sell best among the ones from the same period from other Nintendo flagship series (BW2, NSMB2, MK7, Oni Brain Training) ? It would be the first time AC emerges as the best selling Nintendo franchise in Japan during a "gen" (read flood of big guns being released within one year).

Durante

Sony not dropping the price was dumb for reasons not relating to Wii U, and we saw that in the December NPDs.
What reasons would that be exactly? Is having slightly more market share at all relevant at this point in the generation compared to gaining significantly more profit per unit?

This must have been the most desperate Nintendo I've seen in years. From not announcing anything until close to release they went to announcements of announcements.

One might appreciate that at least they recognize there is a problem, and they tried to address it. Until two years ago, there was only E3, basically.

Mario007

When do wii u and vita games start coming out? I haven't seen a new game from them in a minute.
I think February and March are pretty much the most Vita packed months since the release of the console so we'll have to see. THere's a few Vita games announced for the summer as well, but Sony really needs much more. That's not even talking about western-based games, as Sony currently has nothing coming out on the Vita in the west.

Keyouta

The Wii U's sales I can see still staying relatively low until new games start releasing for it. Sure, they can excite some buyers after announcements like today's to buy the console now, but the majority of people will still wait until the games they want are out.

I'm glad they announced the games they did today, alongside the confirmation of VC, and also the acknowledgement of slow loading times, with updates to come. It will certainly help people in deciding to purchase the thing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Why not a Dreamcast situation, then? I mean, Nintendo is failing so hard with Wii U that will be impossible to recover.

There are facts and there are dreams. Facts are that they have to rely only on their own releases since third parties are missing. Dreams are these first party releases will have the impact they had on Wii.

And Iwata said there will be a new ND for third-party games. I know you weren't ready for his jelly.

There are facts and there are dreams. Facts are that they have to rely only on their own releases since third parties are missing. Dreams are these first party releases will have the impact they had on Wii.

Outside Wii Fit and Wii Sports, were the games that have an impact on Wii, or was the Wii that boosted sales of firsty party games?

Bruno MB

So I finally got to know what Nintendo panic mode means xD

A very positive thing is that hopefully, I won't have to read again more messages about that supposed "new announcement policy".

test_account

XP-39C²
Did Iwata mention anything regarding release period for the upcoming games (WiiFitU, Game & Wario, Pikmin 3 etc.) in the latest Nintendo Direct?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm somewhat shocked Nintendo blew a giant chunk of their load pre-E3... perhaps as a reaction to sales? But then... promises of the future don't have much of a sales impact to begin with for the most part.

Road

Gamecube is too much. I think N64 is currently a more apt comparison for the Wii U (which makes sense, Nintendo coming down from success).

If you compared the best selling N64 games to the PS3 ones, you'd might think the N64 was bigger in Japan:

Code:
[N64]Mario Kart 64                             1,711,661    (Nintendo)
[N64]Super Mario 64                            1,639,914    (Nintendo)
[N64]Super Smash Bros.                         1,632,055    (Nintendo)
[N64]The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time      1,147,068    (Nintendo)
[N64]Pokémon Stadium (Japan)                   1,094,763    (Nintendo)
[N64]Mario Tennis 64                             969,892    (Nintendo)
[N64]Mario Party 2                               884,246    (Nintendo)
[N64]Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards                882,228    (Nintendo)
[N64]Yoshi's Story                               852,864    (Nintendo)
[N64]Donkey Kong 64                              848,377    (Nintendo)
[N64]Mario Party 3                               846,453    (Nintendo)
[N64]Pokémon Stadium 2                           780,017    (Nintendo)
[N64]Hey You, Pikachu!                           744,870    (Nintendo)
[N64]Mario Party                                 714,358    (Nintendo)
[N64]Pokémon Stadium                             710,765    (Nintendo)
[N64]Diddy Kong Racing                           653,928    (Nintendo)
[N64]The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask          601,539    (Nintendo)
[N64]Star Fox 64                                 565,222    (Nintendo)
[N64]Pokémon Snap                                498,155    (Nintendo)
[N64]Mario Golf 64                               470,778    (Nintendo)

[PS3]Final Fantasy XIII                        1,905,979    (Square Enix)
[PS3]Final Fantasy XIII-2                        860,514    (Square Enix)
[PS3]One Piece: Pirate Warriors                  825,860    (Bandai Namco)
[PS3]Resident Evil 6                             821,053    (Capcom)
[PS3]Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots    706,461    (Konami)
[PS3]Tales of Xillia                             664,952    (Bandai Namco)
[PS3]Gran Turismo 5                              600,860    (SCE)
[PS3]Yakuza 4                                    557,771    (SEGA)
[PS3]Yakuza 5: Yume, Kanaeshi Mono               554,465    (SEGA)
[PS3]Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage          553,229    (Koei)
[PS3]Resident Evil 5                             520,564    (Capcom)
[PS3]Yakuza 3                                    509,306    (SEGA)
[PS3]Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs.             504,040    (Bandai Namco)
[PS3]Pro Evolution Soccer 2012                   492,435    (Konami)
[PS3]Dynasty Warriors 7                          476,018    (Koei Tecmo)
[PS3]Dragon's Dogma                              468,108    (Capcom)
[PS3]Pro Evolution Soccer 2011                   450,983    (Konami)
[PS3]Pro Evolution Soccer 2010                   438,552    (Konami)
[PS3]Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver.            426,086    (Capcom)
[PS3]Yakuza: Dead Souls                          415,450    (SEGA)

Top Bottom