• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2015 (Jan 12 - Jan 18)

saichi

So Dragon's Dogma Online is the big Capcom exclusive on PS4? And for 2015? If they want to release a F2P game on PS4, shouldn't it be Depp Down first?

DrWong

[3DS] Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (25 days) - 57K
[ALL] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (18 days) - 76K
[PS4+PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst (4 days) - 201K
[ALL] Samurai Warriors 4-II (12 days) - 173K
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (9 days) - 215K
[PS4] The Order 1886 (3 days) - 27K

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, to recap on Capcom:

1.) Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a cross-gen digital episodic game with microtransactions.
2.) Their star new IP - Deep Down - is an f2p game with randomly generated dungeons.
3.) The return of Dragon's Dogma is an f2p online game that's cross-gen between PS3/PS4/PC.
4.) Street Fighter V is rumored to be a base game with a League of Legends style business model after that.
5.) Breath of Fire 6 is a phone/tablet/PC MMO type game.

I'm curious to see their new vision for Monster Hunter. They were hyping that one for this year, right?

So Dragon's Dogma Online is the big Capcom exclusive on PS4? And for 2015? If they want to release a F2P game on PS4, shouldn't it be Depp Down first?

Their next-gen engine would have to actually function to get that out.

Dee Dee

At least none of that stuff's touching the Gyakuten Saiban series.

More costume packs and DLC cases incoming? Kinda fine with buying extra cases by the way... If they start charging for bits and pieces, like extra investigation parts, that would be insane, but I reckon that no company is that insane. You can only adapt what is more or less a Visual Novel to the F2P model that much.

Besides doing a shitton if spinoffs, sidestories and special editions with extra content, there is not much extra cash to squeeze out of people that essentially play it for the story.
Are there any Visual Novels with microtransactions in Japan yet?

So, to recap on Capcom:

1.) Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a cross-gen digital episodic game with microtransactions.
2.) Their star new IP - Deep Down - is an f2p game with randomly generated dungeons.
3.) The return of Dragon's Dogma is an f2p online game that's cross-gen between PS3/PS4/PC.
4.) Street Fighter V is rumored to be a base game with a League of Legends style business model after that.

I'm curious to see their new vision for Monster Hunter. They were hyping that one for this year, right?

Traditional Monster Hunter games shoud not be affected much. It's the only IP that Capcom always states in report doing well. RE, DD and SF were not as lucky with all of their entries, that's why different business models.

Spiegel

Traditional Monster Hunter games shoud not be affected much. It's the only IP that Capcom always states in report doing well. RE, DD and SF were not as lucky with all of their entries, that's why different business models.

I wouldn't be so sure. If it's about meeting expectations.. they are expecting 4M for MH4G this fiscal year iirc.
It starts by not meeting outrageous expectations and who know where will it end.

Capcom knows very well how to mismanage their IPs.

I wouldn't be so sure. If it's about meeting expectations.. they are expecting 4M for MH4G this fiscal year iirc.
It starts by not meeting outrageous expectations and who know where will it end.

Capcom knows very well how to mismanage their IPs.

The game shipped >2.5m in Japan; Capcom is expecting strong sales in the West. If it misses expectations, it will be about 100-200k units; the last two entries shipped between 800k and 1m units in the West; MH4U seems highly anticipated here (for example, they are expecting 100k only in France). Not that bad, considering in Japan the vanilla version was released just a year before.

It's not something like RE7, that was 20$ two weeks after the release, or DD, which debuted with less than 100k units in North America.

Spiegel

The game shipped >2.5m in Japan; Capcom is expecting strong sales in the West. If it misses expectations, it will be about 100-200k units. Not that bad, considering in Japan the vanilla version was released just a year before.

It's not something like RE7, that was 20$ two weeks after the release, or DD, which debuted with less than 100k units in North America.

Are you expecting 800k-1M shipped in one and a half months in NA/EU?

If Monster Hunter Explore does gangbusters you might have to reconsider those words.

Pezus

Depp Down, I'd pay for that game.

Johnny-Depp.jpg

If Monster Hunter Explore does gangbusters you might have to reconsider those words.

They're not mutually exclusive business models. MH Explore can coexist with a traditional game on a traditional device, if the latter still sells well. Capcom sold 6.5m units of MH4+G only in Japan, in one year.

Are you expecting 800k-1M shipped in one and a half months in NA/EU?

They might ship as much; I don't know how much strong preorders are, but the game is highly anticipated over here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm expecting at minimum they try to add in significant digital revenue components.

They even went for Ace Attorney DLC and costumes so Monster Hunter sticks out there.

DrWong

They're not mutually exclusive business models. MH Explore can coexist with a traditional game on a traditional device, if the latter still sells well. Capcom sold 6.5m units of MH4+G only in Japan, in one year.

They might ship as much; I don't know how much strong preorders are, but the game is highly anticipated over here.

And correction: in France MH sales are usually around100K, they're aiming for better sales with this new game.

I'm expecting at minimum they try to add in significant digital revenue components.

They even went for Ace Attorney DLC and costumes so Monster Hunter sticks out there.

Paid DLC in a retail game are a different thing than F2P, episodic release or micro-transactions. Also, in Japan MH is huge in terms of merchandising AND tournaments / meeting, something that hinges on the fine gameplay of the traditional game.

And correction: in France MH sales are usually around100K, they're aiming for better sales with this new game.

Cool, anticipation seems quite high, indeed.

Oregano

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall there was actually some text in MH4G/U that implies there could/would be paid content.

So, to recap on Capcom:

Lets hope Capcom knows how to make good F2P games because DDO is sounding amazing and Deep Down looks pretty good as well.

We also still do not know what Itsuno is working on (DMC5?) and then there's RE7.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, here's the Bravely Archive analysis for Google Play I promised hours ago

Free Downloads Ranking

The app released on January 13th in charts, but it appeared first in charts on January 16th / January 17th. Out of top 100 at first, then it showed a big upward trend for the first few days, that made the game enter the top 10 a week after its first appearance in charts. Now, it's actually 6th.

How does this translate in download numbers?

January 16th - between 1,000 and 5,000
January 17th - between 10,000 and 50,000
January 19th - between 50,000 and 100,000
January 22nd - between 100,000 and 500,000

Thanks to this:
1) We can say that on January 17th and January 18th, 129th --> 64th means getting around 40,000 downloads, thus 20,000 downloads per day (of course, being 64th means having higher daily downloads than 129th, probably more like 24,000 - 28,000 and 12,000 - 16,000 respectively)

2) We can say that between January 19th and January 21st, 43rd --> 24th --> 16th means getting more than 50,000 downloads. 50,000 downloads would mean 16,667 downloads per day, which is actually lower than the daily average in lower places. Also, considering how numbers are higher in higher charts placements, there are bigger probabilities that downloads increase over the marks with higher numbers than in lower places. If we go with the 24,000 estimate for the 64th position, this means each placement over that is higher, thus 72,000 downloads at least for the considered three days

3) We need to wait the game crosses the 500,000 mark before making more estimates about the amount of downloads related to each ranking. Now it's very high, so it should happen soon.

Grossing Ranking

A similar start compared to the download rankings, with huge increases, but a far quicker stabilization around the 40th placements. 36th on January 23rd is the highest placement for the game in the Grossing Ranking.

Going back to what I tried to extrapolate from DQV's performance on Google Play

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146228417&postcount=207

Average daily Download - 2,000 up to January 4th, 2015
Total Grossing - 90,000,000 Yen up to January 4th, 2015
Average daily Grossing - 3,600,000 Yen up to January 4th, 2015

Considering how Grossing Rankings daily average includes the past few days, we can say that the game was grossing quite a bit more than 3,600,00 Yen/daily when it was in its best period, around 30ths. How much? The big drop off happened recently, and it stayed between 30th and 60th for a while, and these are out of top 2, thus there's a possibility differencies between placements are quite lower. So, I'd guess that being around 30th means grossing around 4,500,000 - 5,000,000 Yen per day, and, so, it takes just 2,500 - 2,778 downloads per day to top Paid Download Charts on Google Play.

Given the game's Grossing Ranking current trend, I'd say it's possibly grossing around 4,400,000 per day.

If anyone feels there's something wrong here, feel free to correct me. These analysis are a way to get a clearer look at what actually means to be in a specific placement in download and (above all, for F2P apps) grossing charts, but if there are errors, what kind of clearer look it'd be? :p Any contribution is pleasantly accepted.

small44

Uh. As far as I know it's a complex situation and Nintendo has always had some sort of partial ownership over it.

I understand know i though Pokemon was originally an anime and then they made a video game adaptation.
That's why i was wonder when Nintendo did get the Pokemon right

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I understand know i though Pokemon was originally an anime and then they made a video game adaptation.
That's why i was wonder when Nintendo did get the Pokemon right

Like others said, the games came first. Also, based on some Iwata Asks interview, it was actually Iwata himself who seemed to port the game to GameBoy (from their running code on PC? Not sure which platform). Nintendo definitely has a large ownership stake in the Pokemon company ever since the beginning as far as I'm aware.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
2 hours until Nintendo earnings - everything points to a solid Q3.

I'll be doing the thread :)

Xenus

So, to recap on Capcom:

Why did you have to remind me about Breath of Fire 6. I'd prefer they let the series die then what it looks like they are doing to it.

Like others said, the games came first. Also, based on some Iwata Asks interview, it was actually Iwata himself who seemed to port the game to GameBoy (from their running code on PC? Not sure which platform). Nintendo definitely has a large ownership stake in the Pokemon company ever since the beginning as far as I'm aware.
I thought The Pokemon Company was spun off of whatever Nintendo had set up at the time.

FluxWaveZ

PREDICTION LEAGUE FEBRUARY 2015

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jan 26 to Feb 22):

[3DS] Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (25 days) - 40,000
[ALL] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (18 days) - 85,777
[PS4+PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst (4 days) - 270,000
[ALL] Samurai Warriors 4-II (12 days) - 130,042
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (9 days) - 220,022
[PS4] The Order 1886 (3 days) - 26,886

[3DS] Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (25 days) - 55k
[ALL] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (18 days) - 75k
[PS4+PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst (4 days) - 240k
[ALL] Samurai Warriors 4-II (12 days) - 120k
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (9 days) - 240k
[PS4] The Order 1886 (3 days) - 17k

[3DS] Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (25 days) - 45K
[ALL] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (18 days) - 65K
[PS4+PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst (4 days) - 175K
[ALL] Samurai Warriors 4-II (12 days) - 130K
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (9 days) - 165K
[PS4] The Order 1886 (3 days) - 20K

Road

[3DS] Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (25 days) - 111,111
[ALL] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (18 days) - 111,111
[PS4+PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst (4 days) - 222,222
[ALL] Samurai Warriors 4-II (12 days) - 111,111
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (9 days) - 222,222
[PS4] The Order 1886 (3 days) - 11,111

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: January 28th 2015 08:00 am (EST)
t1422450000z1.png

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

[3DS] Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (25 days) - 100,432
[ALL] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (18 days) - 92,213
[PS4+PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst (4 days) - 246,400
[ALL] Samurai Warriors 4-II (12 days) - 77,895
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (9 days) - 186,033
[PS4] The Order 1886 (3 days) - 12,500

zeromcd73

PREDICTION LEAGUE FEBRUARY 2015

[3DS] Devil Survivor 2 Break Record (25 days) - 50,000
[ALL] Dragon Ball Xenoverse (18 days) - 80,000
[PS4+PSV] God Eater 2 Rage Burst (4 days) - 215,000
[ALL] Samurai Warriors 4-II (12 days) - 135,000
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D (9 days) - 228,000
[PS4] The Order 1886 (3 days) - 24,000

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 20,065
Vita 14,991
PS4 13,793
PS3 8,600
New3DS 8,028
Wii U 7,088
3DS LL 3,882
3DS 3,287
Vita TV 589
Xbox One 259

Legacy: 53k

Kirby: 32k

Tales: 340k

urfe

My download copy of legacy isn't counting.

Thought it'd do a little better, but I guess it is pretty niche.

L~A

Well, big stores are starting to relocate (and downsize) XB1 space... so imagine what it must be like for small/medium retailers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo should really try to focus less on Japan with the Wii U games. There is no point in having them release there month(s) in advance only to do average sales.

Top Bottom