• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2017 (Jan 16 - Jan 22)

Kanann

PREDICTION LEAGUE FEBRUARY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jan 30 to Feb 26):

[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional (18 days) - 85k
[PS4] Nioh (18 days) - 128k
[PS4] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 70k
[PSV] Super Robot Wars V (4 days) - 75k
[PS4] NieR: Automata (4 days) - 98k

I wonder how fast Vita sales in Japan will dry up after the Switch launches. Obviously the Vita will have a stronger library for some time, but if anyone is buying the Vita still because it's the strongest handheld that can support console-like experiences, a lot of those sales could "Switch" almost immediately.

I don't see VN games and Otaku/BL games will move to switch that fast.

Oregano

I think Koei Tecmo is the biggest outlier so far from the looks of it, if they really want to make any of their series multiplat to include the Switch in the long term I doubt these would've been the games they announced. It's still early, but I don't see it happening unless they're very surprised by the sales.

Yeah I think the hopes of Switch getting all those Vita devs/games is pretty much dead in the water. Switch releases are going to disappear pretty quick in general though.

KtSlime

I mean just briefly thinkinh about it, Square for example, can't even be bothered to bring most of its Vita games to the switch

The Switch isn't even out and they already have 3 ports from Vita and a new game for launch. What did you expect?

random25

I mean just briefly thinkinh about it, Square for example, can't even be bothered to bring most of its Vita games to the switch

It already has 2 games that were also released for PSV, among other games announced for the system. Not announcing them now does not mean it's no longer possible, given that Square Enix announced more games than any other 3rd parties currently supporting the Switch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Unless you have anything lineup launch - there isnt much benefit of talking about your Switch release now as 3rd Party. All of them have enough products to market and push out the door for this fiscal year.

Focus on the here and now isnt a new concept - if there are announcements expect them to see them after this fiscal period is don, post launch during april - june.

Its common sense. Unless you are Nintendo there isnt much benefit of developing your whole announcement plans around their console reveal - especially if we are talking about multiplattform games.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
For now it looks like they're going to jump on PS4. If that doesn't work, who knows. We'll find out in 2 years.
And Mobile.
But Mobile also flat now.
Maybe they would make R18 Hentai games for Steam like nekopara

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah I think the hopes of Switch getting all those Vita devs/games is pretty much dead in the water. Switch releases are going to disappear pretty quick in general though.

That's...jumping to conclusions at extreme speed, isn't it?

Oregano

Receipts, please. For your claims and the DeLorean.

With the exception of NIS/Disgaea none of them have shown up. For the latter part it's the Wii U strategy from third parties; token ports at launch, watch them bomb, don't release anything else.

The Switch isn't even out and they already have 3 ports from Vita and a new game for launch. What did you expect?

Square Enix is putting a DQ game and a nostalgic RPG on Switch. Those are totally in sync with their Nintendo support.

FF is skipping Switch completely. Even World of FF and FFXII Zodiac Age.

For now it looks like they're going to jump on PS4. If that doesn't work, who knows. We'll find out in 2 years.

It's going to be too late for Switch though. Once developers have shifted to targeting PS4 level hardware they are not going to go back to Switch level. Consumers won't want that either.

cw_sasuke

It's going to be too late for Switch though. Once developers have shifted to targeting PS4 level hardware they are not going to go back to Switch level. Consumers won't want that either.

Yeah...those Vita devs are surely gonna push the PS4 to its limits. And the "consumers" who is still playing 3DS/Vita and mobile games wont wanna play games on "Switch level" ..like the next mainline Dragon Quest...because of reasons.

Oregano

This part made me laugh :)

Yeah...those Vita devs are surely gonna push the PS4 to its limits. And the "consumers" who is still playing 3DS/Vita and mobile games wont wanna play games on "Switch level" ..like the next mainline Dragon Quest...because of reasons.

I'm referring specifically to those brands more closely associated with Sony hardware. A big appeal of those brands and that hardware is the higher production values. Having a sequel with lower production values will not go down well with those fanbases.

KtSlime

With the exception of NIS/Disgaea none of them have shown up. For the latter part it's the Wii U strategy from third parties; token ports at launch, watch them bomb, don't release anything else.

Square Enix is putting a DQ game and a nostalgic RPG on Switch. Those are totally in sync with their Nintendo support.

I don't think they have said one way or another about FF, I doubt they will completely skip FF on Switch though, as their policy at the moment is put FF on anything with a CPU. Let's see what they say tomorrow, and once they have a release date for FFXII.

If you happen to be right, that is still okay since DQ is the better series anyway. I just think it is too soon to make any definitive statements about what will or won't be on the Switch.

Oregano

Nintendo put untitled Tales, Blazblue and Story of Seasons games on their Switch software list. If anything FF was on the way the brand would have at least been listed.

Sandfox

I'm referring specifically to those brands more closely associated with Sony hardware. A big appeal of those brands and that hardware is the higher production values. Having a sequel with lower production values will not go down well with those fanbases.

That post was made in reply to Duckroll commenting that Vita franchises have been jumping to the PS4, and I can't really think of any brands that are known for high production values.

jonno394

Nintendo put untitled Tales, Blazblue and Story of Seasons games on their Switch software list. If anything FF was on the way the brand would have at least been listed.

All because those titles had actually been announced by the developers prior to the image being made. Nintendo can't just put an FF logo up when nothing has been announced.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Not necessarily.
SE already announced:

Dragon quest heroes 1+2
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest XI
I Am Setsuna
Project Octopath Traveler
Spelunky

It is pretty evident that they HAD many games to put under the spotlight for Switch, before proceeding on other, maybe far away (let's say FFVII R, that I think WON'T come to Switch) under the radar

with that list, alo, it is pretty hard to diminish SE Switch support, honestly.

you're still talking about those bunch of vita games right?

cw_sasuke

What games have much higher production values like DQ 11 ? You think J-Devs are targeting outside of what is possible with UE4 for their console games ? Not really.

So you think Monster Hunter on Switch wont happen either ?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
What games have much higher production values like DQ 11 ? You think J-Devs are targeting outside of what is possible with UE4 for their console games ? Not really.

World of FF, obviously

/jk

Oregano

you're still talking about those bunch of vita games right?

Yes, even lower budget Vita game boast higher production values than all but the highest tier of 3DS software and being a powerful handheld was Vita's whole appeal. As those franchises transition to PS4 production values will increase. Look at Trails of Cold Steel 3, the increase in production values is the justification for dropping PS3/Vita.

At this point there's no indication Mon Hun will release on Switch.

Mario007

Well according to "if it isn't announced then it can still come" motto, I'm inclined to believe MH is gonna be a Scorpio exclusive.

Mpl90

Ah yes, since an already-released game and an already announced remaster could skip Switch in its early stages, it unquestionably means that the Final Fantasy franchise will never, ever appear on Switch. It's already decided. If a SE developer ever tries to make a Final Fantasy game on Switch, that game will get annihilated on the spot, because the nature itself has stated that no FF game will ever appear on Switch. #FinalFantasyBan

KtSlime

Yes, even lower budget Vita game boast higher production values than all but the highest tier of 3DS software and being a powerful handheld was Vita's whole appeal. As those franchises transition to PS4 production values will increase. Look at Trails of Cold Steel 3, the increase in production values is the justification for dropping PS3/Vita.

I don't regard Capcom as a company that makes very good decisions, however even they aren't foolhardy enough to kill Mon Hun by putting it exclusively on PS4. It's entire install base and marketing is based around local multiplayer and word of mouth.

cw_sasuke

FFXV, FF7R, KH3, and MGSV come to mind.

MGS V runs on PS3/360 - KH3 is a UE4 Engine game and doesnt look better than DQXI, same for 7R. Also those title are the exception rather the norm - none of these games had a ever a shot of running on Vita.

We already now that that there more unannounced UE4 Switch projects from japanese publishers in the pipeline - SMT, DQ11 are already announced as console projects that aim for a Tier that is above of what the Vita can handle or would receive.

That wasnt the question.
Well according to "if it isn't announced then it can still come" motto, I'm inclined to believe MH is gonna be a Scorpio exclusive.

Who said anything about exclusive...and really Scorpio ? Thats the best you can come up with ? lol

duckroll

MGS V runs on PS3/360 - KH3 is a UE4 Engine game and doesnt look better than DQXI, same for 7R. Also those title are the exception rather the norm - none of these games had a ever a shot of running on Vita.

We already now that that there more unannounced UE4 Switch projects from japanese publishers in the pipeline - SMT, DQ11 are already announced as console projects that aim for a Tier that is above of what the Vita can handle or would receive.

Damn, tell me what you know about this SMT game. I'm dying to find out more.

Ah yes, since an already-released game and an already announced remaster could skip Switch in its early stages, it unquestionably means that the Final Fantasy franchise will never, ever appear on Switch. It's already decided. If a SE developer ever tries to make a Final Fantasy game on Switch, that game will get annihilated on the spot, because the nature itself has stated that no FF game will ever appear on Switch. #FinalFantasyBan

I mean these are poor excuses when you have year old games being ported even later down the line.

There are a ton of upcoming Japanese games that have missed the Switch, FF being one of the notable ones.

Mario007

Just like the 3ds and wiiu got Final Fantasy right?

That wasnt the question.

Who said anything about exclusive...and really Scorpio ? Thats the best you can come up with ? lol
We actually have no clue what version of the game DQ11 is.

Also my point completely flew over your head.

That wasnt the question.

Ah yes, the elusive Vita titles like FFXV, FF7R, KH3, and MGSV.

Vita........I've clearly missed something important here lol

cw_sasuke

What does "UE4" mean in terms of production values or graphical quality? It's just an engine.

Atlus is targeting "HD systems" with this SMT title - so you dont think this has any influence on the production values compared to their past handheld titles ?
No Clue ? Its pretty obvious which version Switch will get.

Mpl90

Just like the 3ds and wiiu got Final Fantasy right?

Also my point completely flew over your head.

A: Hi, my name is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and it seems I'm not a Final Fantasy game.
B: Oh, golly! It seems I'm not alone in this. But this should be expected, since I'm Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. If my predecessor can't exist, how could it?
C: You two speak for yourselves! I'm Final Fantasy Explorers, and I don't exist either! I guess trying to appeal to the MH crowd makes me a not-Final Fantasy game after all. Even World of Final Fantasy, which sold fewer units than me in Japan, is a FF game!

A: Hi, my name is Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and it seems I'm not a Final Fantasy game.
B: Oh, golly! It seems I'm not alone in this. But this should be expected, since I'm Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call. If my predecessor can't exist, how could it?
C: You two speak for yourselves! I'm Final Fantasy Explorers, and I don't exist either! I guess trying to appeal to the MH crowd makes me a not-Final Fantasy game after all. Even World of Final Fantasy, which sold fewer units than me in Japan, is a FF game!

obviously those 3 games don't count!

Oregano

They're releasing DQ Heroes and I am Setsuna on Switch. They could easily release World of FF if they wanted to.

I don't regard Capcom as a company that makes very good decisions, however even they aren't foolhardy enough to kill Mon Hun by putting it exclusively on PS4. It's entire install base and marketing is based around local multiplayer and word of mouth.

*shrugs* It would be risky but not surprising.

Difference is they committed to releasing FF brand games on 3DS before 3DS launch.

Mpl90

They're releasing DQ Heroes and I am Setsuna on Switch. They could easily release World of FF if they wanted to.

Difference is they committed to releasing FF brand games on 3DS before 3DS launch.

I suppose you're referring to the third party support list released right after E3 2010's Conference. Unfortunately, I think that's far from a commitment: among actual games announced for 3DS, there were several vague names like "Persona", "Super Robot Taisen", "Dragon Ball", with nothing else attached to them. Of course, games in those franchises ended up being released on the platform (for the most part), but those aren't solid commitments.

cw_sasuke

You started with doubts of Vita devs developing on Switch - now its all about FF ? What are the upcoming FF related products for Vita right now ? Switch isnt even out and them not porting every project of the last 24 months to Switch on Day 1 doesnt mean they have no plans for the systems.

FF7 classic is on PS4 - "they could easily released FF8 and FF9 if they wanted to" ... but they didnt - what does that mean ? Not much.

FFXII Remaster, FF7R, FFXIV Expansions and the FFXV DLC are the upcoming announced console relevant FF products. Which all started development a while ago and none of them were ever aiming for a Vita release.

I dont know what or if SE has FF plans for Switch. But we have Cloud in Smash...and if there is something happening it will likely be announced at e3 or a fall cconference whenever Smash Bros. Switch is shown.

Yeah, hold your horses there mate. Koei-Tecmo didn't support Vita properly either until 2013 which is when Omega Force finally started porting their games across (and Toukiden released). Before that, it looked bleak. Switch isn't even out yet.

Saying Sony gave it two years of first-party support is very generous. I don't know how many first-party games were greenlit after the Vita came out, but I know it's not many. I'm sure people will disagree, but I see Killzone Mercenary as the last big first-party Vita game to deliver on Sony's promises. The game came out in September 2013, not even two years after the system's launch. It seems pretty likely that the game was greenlit before the Vita came out and the first indications of bomba came in. I own the thing and liked it originally but it's been frankly insulting to be a launch day buyer. Clearly it was a good move for them and business is business, but I'm in no rush of supporting them again.

(Just before I type this, let me preface it by saying I was hugely disappointed by Sony's support of Vita)

I don't think any major first-party stuff was greenlit following the console's launch. Killzone was well before it released; and Freedom Wars was in development for 3 years too (so 2011, prior to it releasing). The only possible exception is Oreshika.

I'd say Freedom Wars was Vita's last big game though, and that came out mid-2014, so about two and a half years after.

To be honest, Sony's strategy was just a lower-effort version of Nintendo's. Aside from Zelda, Nintendo had effectively withdrawn from WiiU development/publishing by the end of 2015, with 2016's releases being lower-key stuff. That's similar to Sony who were pretty much done by late-2103 and just had lower-key stuff after that (HD Collections; Borderlands etc.)

Admittedly they pulled out sooner, but the effect was largely the same, even down to both console manufacturers picking at the carcasses of their dead console to support their others (i.e. Vita -> PS4 ports and WiiU -> 3DS/Switch ports).

I wonder how fast Vita sales in Japan will dry up after the Switch launches. Obviously the Vita will have a stronger library for some time, but if anyone is buying the Vita still because it's the strongest handheld that can support console-like experiences, a lot of those sales could "Switch" almost immediately.

Vita sales were on the decline long before Switch releases or was even revealed. 2016 was the first year Japanese sales for the console dipped below 1m on Media Create (850k) and it's pretty clear they were due to decrease substantially this year too. Minecraft can only do so much after 2 years on the market.

Oregano

I suppose you're referring to the third party support list released right after E3 2010's Conference. Unfortunately, I think that's far from a commitment: among actual games announced for 3DS, there were several vague names like "Persona", "Super Robot Taisen", "Dragon Ball", with nothing else attached to them. Of course, games in those franchises ended up being released on the platform (for the most part), but those aren't solid commitments.

Switch had those same announcements though and FF wasn't one of them.

You started with doubts of Vita devs developing on Switch - now its all about FF ? What are the upcoming FF related products for Vita right now ? Switch isnt even out and them not porting every project of the last 24 months to Switch on Day 1 doesnt mean they have no plans for the systems.

FF7 classic is on PS4 - "they could easily released FF8 and FF9 if they wanted to" ... but they didnt - what does that mean ? Not much.

FFXII Remaster, FF7R, FFXIV Expansions and the FFXV DLC are the upcoming announced console relevant FF products. Which all started development a while ago and none of them were ever aiming for a Vita release.

I dont know what or if SE has FF plans for Switch. But we have Cloud in Smash...and if there is something happening it will likely be announced at e3 or a fall cconference whenever Smash Bros. Switch is shown.

FF came up because people pointed out SE is porting Vita games to Switch and I pointed out that the games they are releasing fall completely in line with their 3DS support.

BriBri

You forgot the Final Fantasy 3D Classic;-)

Top Bottom