• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2013 (Jul 22 - Jul 28)

Saving for next week.
So am I.

ibvJZLuVHqKwdY.gif

Chill Dude

Neo Member
Hm. I'm just thinking aloud, but aren't the smaller companies the ones that are most likely to remain on the PS3 longer? Aren't those also the ones who are more likely to sell the type of niche products that have proven successful on the Vita?

If there's a download card, they'll appear in Famitsu (I think?). Otherwise no. It also becomes somewhat silly to use in debate since most digital numbers are unknown.

Thanks for assisting that's what I thought too just nice to get confirmation :) For the record I wasn't going to add that into a debate though :) It was just for personal knowledge good to have all the facts eh?

Well when will the PS3 stop getting supported? My guess is 2015 is when it will begin to dry up. I don't think non-AAA Japanese 3rd-parties will make the switch to the PS4 till 2015.

That transition period will be highly important. If PS3 software sales decrease as the customers shift to PS4, Sony needs to convince the non-AAA 3rd parties who would like to 'stick with PS3-tier assets' for a while longer that Vita is the platform-to-go.

Vita's already laid a pretty good foundation with games like Toukiden & DC, where despite being cross-plat with a higher-install base platform (PS3/PSP), Vita sales were significant.

I imagine a Toukiden expansion next year would be Vita-only. As well as probably other Japanese 3rd-party titles that would be Vita-only. The success of that would be essential to show the value of the platform to the devs who won't be transitioning over to PS4.

Blue-kun

I was somewhat excited for Mind=Zero, but honestly, I could see it doing "poorly" (compared to some people's expectations). It's not because it's a niche title as much as how all the gameplay videos so far look really, really bad. I know these guys probably are on a budget, but the whole thing looks so incredibly cheap that it's hard to get excited about it.

Also, I actually just noticed, but Toukiden PSV actually outsold the PSP ver. once again, contrary to what was expected. That's pretty good.

DaBoss

Hm. I'm just thinking aloud, but aren't the smaller companies the ones that are most likely to remain on the PS3 longer? Aren't those also the ones who are more likely to sell the type of niche products that have proven successful on the Vita?

Yes, I suggested that those smaller companies will remain on the PS3 till 2015 (later part of 2015 most likely). Yes those games have been proven successful on the Vita. The one thing to note is that the PS3 version has always been the better seller, so I think that the companies would be stupid to not do a Vita port, but would be stupider to not have a PS3 version of those games.

Same can be said with those PSP + PSV games. Toukiden would be a good example.

EDIT: Well with PSV outselling the PSP versions obviously.

Vita 2014:
-Freedom Wars
-Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2
-Disgaea 4: Return
-The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki Evolution
-Sega's 575 Music Game

I'm unsure when the Jump fighting game is releasing.

I may be missing some things, but I think that's what is announced currently.

That said, yes, it isn't an immediate problem, but it should still be one within the Vita's lifetime.

- 1st-party exclusive
- Multiplat Miku game (will it release at the same time?)
- Is this a remake/port?
- Niche game?
- Game for one of Vita's audiences

I guess it is early, and TGS is where more announcements will be made for the Vita.

Yea, it will be a problem nearing its later years of its lifetime.

Pretty much. I mean, the PS3 version is 102 units short of achieving that mark alone in its first week. Combined with the Vita release, it's safe to say the entire project has made its money back.
This project was much more expensive than other Vanillaware games, it was also given more exposure. I'm curious to see how it sells over the time.

daveo42

Banned
Nice numbers for DC, though a bit more surprised by the PS3/Vita ratio. Know there's more PS3s in the wild, but would have thought the handheld would have won that battle.

Good numbers for Wright starting out.

Road

Nintendo has shipped 4.15 million units of ACNL to Japan. The race to 4 million is technically over.

Considering MC and Dengeki sales at the end of June were 3.2~3.3 million, I'm guessing downloaded copies are in the 850k region.

Why is 70/90k good for DC on Vita but bad for W101 on WiiU?

Because Nintendo? Double standards abound. I understand the difference in budgets between the two but I still think games on Nintendo systems are more likely to be labeled "bomba" among certain sub-sections of GAF. Just look at how quickly people are labeling Dream Team as a bomba when it will end up in line with the other games in the series save for BIS, which will be an outlier.

EDIT:
because they said w101 budget was 1.5x that of bayonetta which didnt make money off of 1million+ sales

Damn. Didn't know the budget was that big for W101. Geez.

Great DC numbers! Quite surprised by the near parity between the PS3 and PSV sales of DC. Another +1 sale for DC from me next week.

#TeamLife

Coxy

Why is 70/90k good for DC on Vita but bad for W101 on WiiU?

because they said w101 budget was 1.5x that of bayonetta which didnt make money off of 1million+ sales

Really pleased for both Dragons and Phoenix, well deserved. I hope the sales for Witch are decent for N1, the development seems to have been a mess :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Because Nintendo? Double standards abound. I understand the difference in budgets between the two but I still think games on Nintendo systems are more likely to be labeled "bomba" among certain sub-sections of GAF. Just look at how quickly people are labeling Dream Team as a bomba when it will end up in line with the other games in the series save for BIS, which will be an outlier.

This discussion is irrelevant because W101 will be lucky to break 20k first week.

Blue-kun

Good enough. There'll be no major 'salvation', so dodging the axe is all you can really ask for.

I wouldn't say there's no chance for a 'major salvation', like what happened with PSP after the MH debut, but it'd need... something like MH to pop up, or MH itself.

As it is though, I'd say the 15k-20k baseline it seems to have secured is pretty decent, more so when taking into account that it's a system that basically lives off niche titles in Japan.Plus, and this is pretty important, games are selling on the system, so there's no reason for the already good 3rd party support to stop anytime soon.

As for the west though, it kinda pains me. Vita's library is full of interesting (niche) japanese titles, which usually don't find their way here because there's a notion that the market is not big enough (which it might not be). But then it's pretty obvious that most western devs don't want/care about handhelds (no matter how well they sell, 3DS doesn't exactly get much support in this front either), so you're basically trying to sell a system with a kind of game that simply... "doesn't exist".

Nintendo can make do with their own IPs, which are strong and will often manage to get a more mainstream audience by themselves, but Sony can't quite do the same. So it's a pretty difficult position they're in, I guess. I'll be here though, rooting for the system, because I love the hardware and as a pretty big fan of japanese games, it certainly has a lot of stuff I absolutely love. And bring on that Celceta, haha.

Once again.

Dragon's Crown was released on two systems, PS3 and Vita.

Due to this SKUs are bound to be sold at certain ratio in favour of the one system, which is the PS3.

But Vita hold very good numbers even if the PS3 user base is bigger and the pricing was the same for both versions.

Frodo

This discussion is irrelevant because W101 will be lucky to break 20k first week.

:(

Don't talk like that...

I'm bracing myself for disappointment with TW101, even though I want to remain positive. In sales I mean, of course. The game will be great

Well Lego City gives me hope 101 can debut at 30k, but it doesn't matter. With the budget of the game anything under 100 is pretty much a bomba

Don't be ridiculous. It'll bomb, that's for sure, but sub-20k first week? Highly, highly doubtful

Its not extremely likely when lego sold this much, but its definitely possible. Also who was the person who tried arguing this lego game would be huge and sustain momentum

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, for one thing 70 - 90K seems an awfully high expectation to begin with...
I expect sales will be far closer to Lego City than Dragon's Crown.

Wait... really?

I went to check, and this is apparently what our thread says: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614076

Kamiya Twitter via NeoGAF said:
First, Kamiya says he doesnt see any magazine previews, says stores aren't promoting the game because they don't really understand what it is. There aren't enough ads or awareness he says its not a cheap game to make either, he estimates that in terms of manpower and resources, they spent 1.5 times what they did on Bayonetta 1*. He says in terms of "no one really gets the game, so there isnt a lot of hype" its similar to Okami**

I went to check, and this is apparently what our thread says: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614076
Hmm, doesn't necessarily translate to 1.5x the budget. But doesn't bode well for this game being profitable.

With all due respect... while it looks like an interesting game, it doesn't really show huge production values.
Well Lego City gives me hope 101 can debut at 30k, but it doesn't matter. With the budget of the game anything under 100 is pretty much a bomba

Its not extremely likely when lego sold this much, but its definitely possible. Also who was the person who tried arguing this lego game would be huge and sustain momentum
Mr Heatwave.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm, doesn't necessarily translate to 1.5x the budget. But doesn't bode well for this game being profitable.
Mr Heatwave.

Well, apparently the game is 20 hours long.

They also packed in a lot:

VG247 said:
“In the case of Wonderful 101, we really try to pack a lot of different ideas into it, and it got a lot bigger than I thought. And in fact we estimate that a normal play session would be 20 hours,” Kamiya told Nintendo World Report.

“Personally I think that I kept piling stuff on and I realized ‘Wow, this is going to be a pretty big game.’”

There is also multiplayer, and judging by the footage there are a lot of setpiece moments that probably cost a pretty penny.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Don't exagerate - it's still Nintendo published title so I'd expect 45-50k first week 100k lifetime.

Nintendo had more than one first party published title on Wii that did less than 20k first week.

This, it doesn't matter if it's 20/30/50k.

This is a high budget game by Platinum, not niche RPG.

Anything under 100k is bad.

I would say that not even 100k is good enough .
101 needs to sell more than Bayonetta in Japan and even then i don't see it making money .
Don't think overseas sales going to save it either .

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
it depends on performance overseas. the game doesn't really look built for japan

Edit: Since people seem confused, I was being sarcastic. However, that people agreed is an interesting result.

If there's one thing this image says to me, it's "I bet this is for Western gamers."

02_02.png

Definitely not getting Japanese vibes here or anything.

As for the west though, it kinda pains me. Vita's library is full of interesting (niche) japanese titles, which usually don't find their way here because there's a notion that the market is not big enough (which it might not be). But then it's pretty obvious that most western devs don't want/care about handhelds (no matter how well they sell, 3DS doesn't exactly get much support in this front either), so you're basically trying to sell a system with a kind of game that simply... "doesn't exist".

Yeah, unless Sony can find a way to... create an actual fusion device of Xperia & Vita, while retaining the qualities demanded in a good smartphone... it's a tough bet to break into a market that's already saturated with multi-purpose devices like smartphones & tablets, especially when Vita's not cheap enough to be a throwaway purchase.

Nintendo can make do with their own IPs, which are strong and will often manage to get a more mainstream audience by themselves, but Sony can't quite do the same. So it's a pretty difficult position they're in, I guess. I'll be here though, rooting for the system, because I love the hardware and as a pretty big fan of japanese games, it certainly has a lot of stuff I absolutely love. And bring on that Celceta, haha.

Sony also fundamentally lacks the resources to build more games for its mobile platforms. Most of their studios are console devs first & foremost, and even their 'handheld' teams like Bend can easily do console if they have the budget for it. Unless Sony adds a 'mini' 3rd team to all their core studios dedicated towards handheld, but.. alas, it's not that easy.

With that being said, Sony haven't given it their all when it comes to PSVita's potential system movers. An excellent non-port of their IPs can still deliver good sales figures, as proven by Uncharted and LBPVita. If Sony puts the efforts into it, Sony's select few IPs could do well at around 600k-1ml, but that is still inferior to the resources Nintendo has... and even Nintendo is not having it easy.

And it's a pity that Sony's best-selling IP is developed by a studio slow as mollases. (GT) How long did it take them to port GT4 over to PSP again? 4/5 years?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wait... really?

I can believe it. Bayonetta cut a lot of corners with regards to cutscenes (frozen in time filmstrips), this has multiplayer and no doubt other modes, and I imagine Platinum hit more than a few roadblocks with WiiU development like every other third party.

Makes the whole endeavour seem plenty crazy though now looking at WiiU's install base and targets that could be made for X360/PS3/PC/PS4/Xbone cross-gen releases of stuff at this point in time.

Lets hope Nintendo paid them very generously for their work on this and Bayonetta 2 and that Platinum can shirk the stigma of 'ultra bombas' that seem inevitable. Or Platinum become the premiere japanese Kickstarter studio :/

Fisico

More than the Wii U [Edit: except in US... see below] but that's not saying much.

Hey, if Level-5 is burning to the ground, can someone please pull Dark Cloud out of the wreckage and give it to a competent developer?

Except in France too, numbers for S1 2013 have been published and Wii U is above by a few thousands and when you know that France wasn't the worst country in Europe for Vita sales ...

S1 2013
Rank Hardware Year 2013 Total
1 3DS 237.950 1.928.838
2 PS3 198.158 4.561.277
3 Xbox 360 92.405 3.133.692
4 Wii 62.470 6.161.310
5 PSP 46.467 3.396.999
6 Wii U 38.927 149.434
7 PS Vita 34.592 233.309

the game also looks like Persona so anything is possible.

It also looks like shit

Top Bottom