• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2013 (Jul 22 - Jul 28)

Darryl

Banned
But this is japanese sales thread (´∀` )

And yes it will perform better in the west for sure (although still be a bomba).

i know it is. you just brought up performance based on budget so i assumed you were talking about overall sales. if wonderful 101 could clear 40K in japan, i think it would have done well at this rate.

If there's one thing this image says to me, it's "I bet this is for Western gamers."

dunno if you're being sarcastic, but that's exactly what i see. much more western centric then something like viewtiful, which still performed horrible in japan if i remember right

If there's one thing this image says to me, it's "I bet this is for Western gamers."

02_02.png

Agreed completely. It's a real shame, because The Wonderful 101 seems to have a lot of Japanese influences.

But its whole presentation seems to skew it towards American sensibilities.

Tagg9

02_02.png

Definitely not getting Japanese vibes here or anything.

If they're targeting North American gamers with that art style, they are doing an awful job. These characters scream "Japanese dev" to me.

Jamix012

02_02.png

I'm...actually not. Reminds me more of Teen Titans type "Super Hero kid's show" than anything out of Japan.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, I'm lost as to whose serious in my own sarcasm train.

I do think the gameplay doesn't look compatible with what we normally think of as Japanese game hits, but the art style strikes me totally as a Japanese game.

I mean I look at that image and the first thing that pops to mind is Yatterman or other 70's/80's shonen superhero shows.

If Japanese gamers also feel it's out of place however, perhaps they've perfected a style that doesn't feel at home anywhere. :lol

Except in France too, numbers for S1 2013 have been published and Wii U is above by a few thousands and when you know that France wasn't the worst country in Europe for Vita sales ...

6 Wii U 38.927 149.434
7 PS Vita 34.592 233.309

Those numbers are misleading as they are fueled by quite strong January post launch period.

In June Vita outsold Wii U 2:1

Lets hope Nintendo paid them very generously for their work on this and Bayonetta 2 and that Platinum can shirk the stigma of 'ultra bombas' that seem inevitable. Or Platinum become the premiere japanese Kickstarter studio :/

Nintendo paying Platinum well will do nothing to shirk the stigma of Platinum games bombing as long as W101 and Bayonetta 2 bomb.

i know it is. you just brought up performance based on budget so i assumed you were talking about overall sales. if wonderful 101 could clear 40K in japan, i think it would have done well at this rate.

dunno if you're being sarcastic, but that's exactly what i see. much more western centric then something like viewtiful, which still performed horrible in japan if i remember right

Thats not western centric at all. What western cartoon art looks anything like that

Well it depends on the game honestly. If vita owners where really buying lots of games then they would at least appear on the Top 50 but right now no Vita game has stayed there

Well, you just have to compare software sales for equivalent games. Toukiden sold better on the Vita than on the PSP. Muramasa sold better on the Vita than on the Wii. Dragon Crown, Vita numbers aren't far off PS3 numbers and PS3 game sales are usually very high. Also, multiple games have broken the 100K or 200K barrier despite the Vita getting only a couple of games each month.

And why would these numbers be misleading because post-launch period and not the US ones ? (and I'm telling that as a Vita owner)

Because trends for rest of year won't be based on few weeks post launch but similar to performance in last two-three months.

L Thammy

Edit: Since people seem confused, I was being sarcastic.

02_02.png

Didn't this discussion come up before? It seems silly to me that this couldn't be identified with Super Sentai heroes through marketing. The heroes being identified through colour, the focus on teamwork, the pointless posing, the transformation sequences, the heroes being defined by weapons rather than more general superpowers... This is all Sentai material.

Wonderful 101 looks like it would've been an amazing Powerstone-like fighting game

I see (From left-right) a Vega-like close distance/dash character, a trap-setting bombing character, a slow projectile tank, an all-around, a close range attacking character, a medium distance whip attack character, and a power attack juggernaut

Here's hoping they reuse the assets a bunch of times over different games to make up the costs (Like JP devs used to do in the good ole days :( )

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so I asked Kabouter and Steve Youngblood on the basis I didn't think they watched much if any anime and they both came back with an answer of US to my surprise.

Apparently "The Incredibles" was the popular comparison.

Okay so I asked Kabouter and Steve Youngblood on the basis I didn't think they watched much if any anime and they both came back with an answer of US to my surprise.

The Incredibles is exactly what I think of and that's why I think that - if marketed correctly - it could be a success in the U. S. (though the ESRB rating is important here)

The masks in "The Incredibles" are similar but that's pretty much it.

My first thought was either Yattaman or Yatodettaman.

It has an Incredibles look, but I'd say that's more due to the 3D animation and superhero costumes than actually similar artstyle?

IncrediblesWallpaper800.jpg

Ah the incredibles is somewhat similar, but this definitely feels more japanese as a person who regularly consumes both. I think with a show in America it could definitely appeal to the west, but that if someone had to guess which country made it the majority will say japan

It has an Incredibles look, but I'd say that's more due to the 3D animation and superhero costumes than actually similar artstyle?

I just feel like chiming in that I didn't feel very strongly about that assertion. It was just the first thing that sprung to mind in terms of something similar. I didn't see the image and think "Wow! That's looks totes like The Incredibles! Pixar should sue!"

L Thammy

I think the domino masks are the confusing bit: tokusatsu heroes more often have helmets, I guess.

Still, if marketing shows off the "henshin" sequence or things like that, it should be a dead giveaway.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One issue I might be encountering is that when I think of Western cartoon art I either think or really old things like Loony Tunes and Disney, or I think of things like this:

I realize the more modern stuff definitely does often have a more anime look to it, but "a more anime look to it" is the frame of reference I'm looking at it from since I didn't grow up with it.

I think the domino masks are the confusing bit: tokusatsu heroes more often have helmets, I guess.

Still, if marketing shows off the "henshin" sequence or things like that, it should be a dead giveaway.

If they had full masks, the resemblance to sentai would be more striking.

One issue I might be encountering is that when I think of Western cartoon art I either think or really old things like Loony Tunes and Disney, or I think of things like this:

I realize the more modern stuff definitely does often have a more anime look to it, but "a more anime look to it" is the frame of reference I'm looking at it from since I didn't grow up with it.

Pfft, I've noticed that for most of my life. :p

Really solid start for Dragon Crown, and Ace Attorney.

I really don't understand the dramatic decline in sales from M&L 3 to 4. Is it "Mario" fatigue? Poor timing because of Phoenix and Pikmin releasing the week before and the week after?

I don't get it.

Fisico

Because trends for rest of year won't be based on few weeks post launch but similar to performance in last two-three months.

You're not telling me why the US numbers are valid, because of two weeks only, really ?
The trends will also be based on the release of games, and as far as the two platform goes Wii U has the advantage of strong 1st party support (Pikmin, Wonderful 1010, Zelda WW and Mario 3D World).

But we're driving of topic

How much does the Vita sell on a weekly basis in EU and US?

As far as numbers go, the answer for the 1st half of the year in France is

38.927/26 = 1497 for Wii U
34.592/26 = 1330 for Vita

Most likely Vita is selling better on a weekly basis right now and since a few weeks, but with the (approximately) monthly release Nintendo has scheduled as a publisher for its hardware and Ubisoft and Warner support, I wouldn't say that Vita selling better for the whole year is a lock

duckroll

Really solid start for Dragon Crown, and Ace Attorney.

I really don't understand the dramatic decline in sales from M&L 3 to 4. Is it "Mario" fatigue? Poor timing because of Phoenix and Pikmin releasing the week before and the week after?

I don't get it.

Maybe it's Luigi fatigue!

Road

Still waiting for impressions but that 30 minutes dungeon crawling video burned a lot of people.

It got 30/40 in Famitsu.

Oh and yes August 1st is the release date.

C'mon, GungHo, you're swimming in money and you couldn't pay for a 35+ score for this game?

I understand, I guess.. In the time it took for me to write this post, Puzzle & Dragons has made more money for GungHo than Mind=Zero will make in its entire life.

duckroll

C'mon, GungHo, you're swimming in money and you couldn't pay for a 35+ score for this game?

I understand, I guess.. In the time it took for me to write this post, Puzzle & Dragons has made more money for GungHo than Mind=Zero will make in its entire life.

Why would GungHo waste money on marketing a cheap Persona ripoff one of their subsidiaries is making when they could be saving that money and gunning to publish the actual Persona 5 next year? :D

Alrus

Great numbers for Phoenix, hope it's as leggy as Apollo and reaches over 500k at least.

DC's numbers are really impressive too, it's weird to think that game was at risk of never coming out at some point. Vita keeps showing it's a really healthy system for smaller non casual games.

M&L has an okay hold but I still think it's going to be the worst selling entry. Oh well, it's a good but not amazing game. And the dream part is much less alluring than playing as Bowser (and it doesn't allow for many interesting mechanics anyway...). BiS will remain an anomaly as far as sales go for the series.

Edit: Yokai Watch really isn't doing that badly, afaik it's tracking better than the first IE before the anime aired, which is probably what Level 5 was aiming for. If the anime is successful (that's a big if though), we might see the game getting a nice bump and a sequel being a lot more frontloaded. Fantasy Life Link was a stupid idea though, not surprised it's underperforming.

wrowa

Not sure why it matter whether the designs of Wonderful 101 are more influenced by American than Japanese super heroes or vice versa when it's quite apparent that it strikes somekind of middle-ground, which leads to its design being both over-the-top and generic at the same time. W101's big issue is that it's art style is appealing to neither West nor East.

Road

Why would GungHo waste money on marketing a cheap Persona ripoff one of their subsidiaries is making when they could be saving that money and gunning to publish the actual Persona 5 next year? :D

Because they have more than enough money for both. =P

They also treat it as if it were some sort of relevant title for their business: http://www.gungho.co.jp/ir/uploads/irs20130731.pdf#page=20&zoom=auto,0,0

23./00. [PSV] Xblaze Code: Embryo <ADV> (Arc System Works) {2013.07.25} (¥7.140) - 5.719 / NEW <40-60%>
25./00. [PS3] Xblaze Code: Embryo <ADV> (Arc System Works) {2013.07.25} (¥7.140) - 5.148 / NEW <40-60%>

In the waifu scale from 1 to 10, where does this game fit?

In the Wonderful 101 debate, the CG makes it look western. Advertise it with anime and handrawn artworks in Japan.

Darryl

Banned
Not sure why it matter whether the designs of Wonderful 101 are more influenced by American than Japanese super heroes or vice versa when it's quite apparent that it strikes somekind of middle-ground, which leads to its design being both over-the-top and generic at the same time. W101's big issue is that it's art style is appealing to neither West nor East.

i brought it up talking more about sales potential rather then cultural origin. i think the art style is definitely appealing to the west. look at all the love the game gets around here. look at some of the popular american films releasing around the same time (kick ass 2). i haven't seen much coming out of japan that would make me feel this strikes towards the center of their pop culture. so i was just saying that i really doubt the game is going to perform enthusiastically in japan and i think that would be to their expectations.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Nintendo paying Platinum well will do nothing to shirk the stigma of Platinum games bombing as long as W101 and Bayonetta 2 bomb.

You guys vastly inflate how well their games sell anyway... It's not like that is a particularly high bar to cross!

[PS3] The Witch and the Hundred Knights # <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2013.07.25} (¥7.140) - 49.209 / NEW

Finally a non-Disgaea Nippon Ichi game that doesn't bomb. In fact, its sales are quite good.

Especially considering how awful I hear the game is. Lol.

MAKAI KINGDOM 2. IT IS INEVITABLE.

The "beginning" is usually also the "end" for Level-5 sales in general. :p

Their products suck, and no one gives a fuck anymore. The only people even buying their stuff anymore are kids who don't know any better, and even those numbers are drastically reduced. It's over for Hino's scam empire really.

Oddly, they'll still come in with stronger sales than Sony and Konami at the end of the year again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Damn Pikmin is falling fast

Let's see, by Famitsu:

Pikmin 1:
Total: 143,203

Pikmin 2:
Total: 251,828

Pikmin 3:
Total: 149,087

It's definitely looking in line with Pikmin 1, though it might drop faster going forward given the state of the Wii U.

Top Bottom