• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2013 (Aug 12 - Aug 18)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So what are would be considered a feasible good launch lineup for ps4 that could at least keep it above 20k for a while.

- Monster Hunter Frontier G, with crossplay with both PC and PS3 sku
- a Musou (something like Dynasty Warriors 8 Ultimate, but they've just announced the new expansion for PS3 and Vita; maybe Samurai Warriors 4, multi with PS3?)
- Yakuza Ishin (now, much more possible than before, due to Nagoshi's words)
- Sengoku Basara 4
- A second Japan Studio title

And then...eeeeeeeh, not coming up with much else now.

Tripon

That's a pretty hard question.

Japanese console development is kind of in tatters, and the flagships are mostly Fall 2014 at the earliest.

It will be amazing that Nintendo will have almost a two year lead in the console market in Japan, and it will mean jack shit when the PS4 comes out in 2014.

hiska-kun

Does this game sound familiar to you?

12./18. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2013.07.25} (¥5.040) - 8.299 / 29.577 (+22%)

Same time last year:

10./12. [3DS] Kobitodzukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2012.07.26} (¥5.040) - 12.646 / 60.196 (+3%)

+100k coming?

So what are would be considered a feasible good launch lineup for ps4 that could at least keep it above 20k for a while.

Feasible?

Sorry but in my opinion it's pointless to launch in Japan without a true system seller + usual JP launch stuff like RIDGEEEE RACERRRR or Everbody's Golf.

Game like Yakuza Isshin or Persona 5 needs to be there pretty much day one.

I really hope Sony has something up their sleeve.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
In the USA, Vita managed:

~4,000 units a week in May
~5,400 units a week in June
~4,000 units a week in July

Compared to the 15,000-20,000 Vita manages in Japan every week, it's clear that the console is much more attractive (relatively speaking) in its home country.

That's not a fair comparison one has already had a price cut and the other has not. So those numbers would be skewered regardless. Vita was below 10k before fairly regularly.

3DS has no competition in Japan

EWmof.gif
It may be dominating, but it's tracking well below last year, it seems. When was it released, early 2011? It should be hitting its stride in terms of high sales numbers now, no? I wonder how much of an effect Pokemon/MH4 will have. I don't think it'll be enough to top 2012's LTD by much, if at all.

That's not a fair comparison one has already had a price cut and the other has not. So those numbers would be skewered regardless. Vita was below 10k before fairly regularly.

Price cuts do tend to increase the attractiveness of a console in a particular region, yes.

Unofficial retailer-exclusive cuts aren't necessarily as effective, though (see Wii U in Europe).

It may be dominating, but it's tracking well below last year, it seems. When was it released, early 2011? It should be hitting its stride in terms of high sales numbers now, no? I wonder how much of an effect Pokemon/MH4 will have. I don't think it'll be enough to top 2012's LTD by much, if at all.

Even if it doesn't top 2012, it'll still almost assuredly pull another 5m+ year, which is Nintendo's goal and would make it one of the biggest years for any system in Japan. Let's not pretend 2012 wasn't a monster year for the 3DS, too.

Oersted

Slow thread. Must be 3DS dominating.

20./16. [PSV] Dragon's Crown <ACT> (Atlus) {2013.07.25} (¥8.190) - 5.716 / 98.636 <80-100%> (-17%)

Drop during Obon, and only one in the Top 50. Farewell.

Nintendo has the three biggest mobile games. Exclusive. End of story.

Does this game sound familiar to you?

12./18. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2013.07.25} (¥5.040) - 8.299 / 29.577 (+22%)

Same time last year:

10./12. [3DS] Kobitodzukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2012.07.26} (¥5.040) - 12.646 / 60.196 (+3%)

+100k coming?
*googles*

why

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I'd probably say Pokémon Is more important for the western countries than it will be for Japan, Granted it'd push systems but considering much the entire traditional gaming industry in Japan is concentrated in Japan I'd imagine anyone interested in traditional gaming would probably be have or be getting one fairly soon.

This obviously isn't the case in the west, and Pokémon has pretty much been THE Nintendo handheld seller for most of it's existence outside of the DS where it grew to beyond that. It'll be interesting to see the comparison of jumps between territories.

Last weeks I didn't update because DKC didn't charted on the same period. Next week will be the last update.
Luigi is only 22k behind DKC, and every week the distance is lower and lower. Less than 100k to catch DKC LTD. One million is a lock.
Missed this! Thanks.
Hopefully Luigi is still on the charts when it hits 1 million. Wonder if it'll get a boost when hardware sales rise with MH/Pokemon.

Madouu

I agree. The absolute nubmers for 3DS are so much higher than for the other platforms that it's not comparable.

However, I do think it's reasonable to conclude that the Wii U would have dropped without Obon, looking at its bump compared to similarly selling systems.

3DS and Wii U have the highest percentage increases on MC. I don't think you can draw a lot of conclusions from looking solely at %variation from one week to another on a single tracker.

LOCK

Great week for 3DS software.

Yay at Pikmin 3 increase. So if Pikmin 2 is increasing, does that indicate that a new audience has been buying Pikmin 3 and now has interest in the franchise? I know most sales are probably coming from Nintendo's core, but it is rather interesting. This also indicates to me that Pikmin 3 is going to be an evergreen title, at least for the rest of the year.

That makes me happy. :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
At least next week will have the <30K debut of The Wonderful 101 to spice things up.
That's something, right?

A lot of people busy charging their lasers for next week and the most predictable bomba since Killer is Dead, I presume.

And it wasn't a very exciting week. No new titles etc.

Road

Media Create Software:
02./02. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 39.809 / 244.638 (+39)

First week shipment: 392k. It should sell the additional ~150k in about two months.

I think it's probably a fairly safe bet on what platform it's headed to.

Considering SEGA hasn't been allowed to announce the platform yet, Wii U.

Was there a week when 3DS had 25+ games in top 30?

In the top 30, the highest number before was 18 games for Media Create (2012-12-31) and 17 for Famitsu (many weeks) and Dengeki (2013-08-05).

In the top 50, the highest is 27 for Dengeki (2013-08-05) and 25 for Media Create (2012-12-31 and 2013-08-05).

Bruno MB

According to Media Create, New Play Control! Pikmin 2 has sold this year 32.000 units.

In 2012 it sold 12.000 units.

Madouu

According to Media Create, New Play Control! Pikmin 2 has sold this year 32.000 units.

In 2012 it sold 12.000 units.

Thanks. This is definitely interesting, Pikmin 3 seems to have won quite a few new fans to the franchise and this is actually helped by the lack of games on the Wii U.

This probably means that it's generating some nice word of mouth which might be selling a small number of wii u consoles too in the long run even though the game's immediate effect on hardware sales wasn't so big.

Timeaisis

Thanks. This is definitely interesting, Pikmin 3 seems to have won quite a few new fans to the franchise and this is actually helped by the lack of games on the Wii U.

This probably means that it's generating some nice word of mouth which might be selling a small number of wii u consoles too in the long run even though the game's immediate effect on hardware sales wasn't so big.

Yeah, just like everything else Nintendo releases. It's got legs.

Glass Rebel

Hopefully it's something new or at least different and not Luigi's Mansion 3.
I want them to revive something else.

They were actually working on a different Nintendo project before Nintendo put that on hold to develop Luigi's Mansion 2. Sadly, as usual with Nintendo, there's practically zero info on that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If W101 only had an initial shipment of 30k, then I expect it to sell out next week.

W101 will be lucky to sell 10K in its first week and will most likely struggle to sell out the initial shipment.

hatchx

Banned
W101 will be lucky to sell 10K in its first week and will most likely struggle to sell out the initial shipment.

Yeesh that's a bit harsh. The game has been marketed and it's getting pretty favourable reviews. Surely that can get it above 10k on it's opening week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would be kind of surprised if it didn't open at at least 18-22K given how LEGO did, but I mean at these kinds of numbers we're splitting hairs to an extent.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yeesh that's a bit harsh. The game has been marketed and it's getting pretty favourable reviews. Surely that can get it above 10k on it's opening week.

Well look- I realize often amazon rankings mean little to nothing, but its 3 days until release and it isn't even breaking the top 100.

I'm just sayin

Nice to see the PSV keep its head above the water.

This is not really on-topic but how have the sales been in North America? I can never tell when looking at the NPD threads. Of course, I'm probably answering my own question there...just wondering if there are some specific #s. In my head I can imagine the PSV selling less in a month here in the US than it sells in 2 weeks in Japan.

The price drop probably won't do much to stem the bleeding :(
It hasn't been doing well in the US, but I think it will start to pick up with the price cut and new bundles. Will still be low though.

Kid Ying

Well look- I realize often amazon rankings mean little to nothing, but its 3 days until release and it isn't even breaking the top 100.

I'm just sayin
i understand your line of thinking and i will say that you are probably right, but i also think its hard to judge the interest on amazon.

Lego was also on awful positions, but at the release week it climbed and climbed. Perhaps it was helped by Pikmin, or the fact that nintendo only aired ads on its release week, but we can not say much about it. With wonderful its hard to judge, since it already had a couple of peaks on the day of direct, only to go rock bottom again...

Its complicated. I believe no one think this game is going to be a big sucess, but im not expecting a sellthrough worse than lego. And im saying that just because of the pedigree of the developers and the freshness of the ip, because every other sign points to the contrary.

hiska-kun

i understand your line of thinking and i will say that you are probably right, but i also think its hard to judge the interest on amazon.

Lego was also on awful positions, but at the release week it climbed and climbed. Perhaps it was helped by Pikmin, or the fact that nintendo only aired ads on its release week, but we can not say much about it. With wonderful its hard to judge, since it already had a couple of peaks on the day of direct, only to go rock bottom again...

Its complicated. I believe no one think this game is going to be a big sucess, but im not expecting a sellthrough worse than lego. And im saying that just because of the pedigree of the developers and the freshness of the ip, because every other sign points to the contrary.

Lego was in the top 20 on Amazon.jp the week it was released. The Wonderful 101 isn't in the top 100...

Top Bottom