• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The fuck happened to the PS4, I understand Sony has essentially stopped shipping them to stores in Japan and most stores are sold out but the PS Slim and Neo aren't even announced yet. It makes no sense to completely kill momentum like that for a system consumers shouldn't even know about. What happens if the slim isn't as popular as Sony hopes

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
PS2 Sengoku Basara [All Versions] 85.575 210.887 Capcom 7/21/2005
PS2 Sengoku Basara 2 [All Versions] 137.199 380.387 Capcom 7/27/2006
PS2 Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes [All Versions] 93.513 328.425 Capcom 11/29/2007
WII Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes Double Pack [All Versions] 8.600 35.046 Capcom 11/29/2007
PS2 Sengoku Basara X [All Versions] 26.897 52.960 Capcom 6/26/2008
PSP Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes [All Versions] 88.051 336.665 Capcom 4/9/2009
PS3 Sengoku Basara 3 [All Versions] 209.312 426.357 Capcom 7/29/2010
WII Sengoku Basara 3 [All Versions] 54.601 177.711 Capcom 7/29/2010
PSP Sengoku Basara: Chronicle Heroes 77.017 166.341 Capcom 7/21/2011
PS3 Sengoku Basara 3: Utage [All Versions] 101.798 174.759 Capcom 11/10/2011
WII Sengoku Basara 3: Utage [All Versions] 37.258 122.427 Capcom 11/10/2011
PS3 Sengoku Basara HD Collection 27.551 61.387 Capcom 8/30/2012
PS3 Sengoku Basara 4 157.326 239.812 Capcom 1/23/2014
PS3 Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi 46.291 87.537 Capcom 7/23/2015
PS4 Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi 24.848 44.669 Capcom 7/23/2015
PS4 Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den 15.592 - Capcom 8/25/2016
PS3 Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den 11.796 - Capcom 8/25/2016

Was this an actual Sengoku Basara or some kind of spin-off?

PS3 again took a big part of sales.

Galang

Banned
No matter the actual quality of Federation Force it's not like Nintendo should be surprised at the sales considering the insane pre-release negativity. It's not fair to use these sales as an excuse for the series' future. I would really hope they give Metroid another shot

Kyoufu

The fuck happened to the PS4, I understand Sony has essentially stopped shipping them to stores in Japan and most stores are sold out but the PS Slim and Neo aren't even announced yet. It makes no sense to completely kill momentum like that for a system consumers shouldn't even know about. What happens if the slim isn't as popular as Sony hopes

Lower price for a hardware revision always does well.

cheesekao

There was a 360 SKU of XIII that opened to ~ 3.5k too. Still not a massive change, but still the series went dormant after XIII lol (and was also sprite-based 2D, though I have to wonder whether the poor 3D models they used are actually cheaper).
I'd definitely bet on them being cheaper. There's no way they could have had 50 characters if it weren't.

Scum

mou.png

Dat Splatoon tho.

Takao

Banned
Was this an actual Sengoku Basara or some kind of spin-off?

PS3 again took a big part of sales.

It's a spinoff, but not a total spinoff like X was. It still features the same gameplay as the main games.

Of course PS3 would take a big chunk. No Vita version because it's Capcom.

Raylan

Banned
?
The slim will be smaller, more silent and cheaper. Of course it will be more popular than the old model.

mao2

10./00. [PS3] The King of Fighters XIII <FTG> (SNK Playmore) {2011.12.01} (¥7.140) - 21.525 / NEW
04./00. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore) {2016.08.25} (¥7.200) - 20.655 / NEW

KOFXIV did alright when compared to the previous entry. Sucks that most fighting games don't sell much these days. :/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lower price for a hardware revision always does well.

Yes but will it do as well as Sony expects, killing off PS4 and then making a bet on that doesn't sound like sound reasoning. For one how do they this won't turn out like one of those rare occasions where a sku underperforms, the PS4 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

?
The slim will be smaller, more silent and cheaper. Of course it will be more popular than the old model.

But by how much.

L~A

For the record, Dragon Quest VIII came out last year during the same week, which is why the 3DS sold 48k back then, and only 24k this year.

Overall, pretty weak week (to say the last). RIP MP:FF.

Alrus

Well Sega sure managed to run one decent selling franchise in Japan to the ground. Project Diva X number is terrible.

So, Tales of Berseria is easily >300K with digital. Which others console JRPG did as much this gen ?

For those who missed the UK charts, KOF 14 didn't reach the top... 40. That japanese number is almost heartwarming by comparison.

Sengoku Otome > Yukimura-den is like a new form of humiliation for Capcom.

cheesekao

Yes but will it do as well as Sony expects, killing off PS4 and then making a bet on that doesn't sound like sound reasoning. For one how do they this won't turn out like one of those rare occasions where a sku underperforms, the PS4 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes.

But by how much.
Even if it underperforms i.e. it sells the same amount as before, the slim model is cheaper to produce so it's pretty much a net gain.

Whether or not it's announced, the slim is the exact same console only (probably) cheaper. Why would anyone react "Well, I wanted a PS4 because of its games. But since I couldn't buy one this week, I guess now I'll never buy one ever, no matter how many more games release."? That doesn’t make any sense.

BadWolf

Expected worse for KOFXIV, glad to see it sell almost as much as XIII during opening week (which sold 21,525 copies).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even if it underperforms i.e. it sells the same amount as before, the slim model is cheaper to produce so it's pretty much a net gain.

True I'm mainly questioning this approach because it seems like an unnecessary risk. This isn't a normal slim transition. People know about the Neo's existence which will inevitable eat into it's sales especially when they'll both probably be announced at the at the same time but released at different times. Your essentially delaying sales until the slim and then have portion of that delaying their purchases until the Neo. I question the advantages of this.

MANUELF

Banned
No matter the actual quality of Federation Force it's not like Nintendo should be surprised at the sales considering the insane pre-release negativity. It's not fair to use these sales as an excuse for the series' future. I would really hope they give Metroid another shot
Why should they? Metroid is one of Nintendo most expensive to make series and except for two games they never sell pass 2 million copies

Unknown?

Dude... That's like impossible! The slim will be as popular as the OG PS4 because people wanting a PS4 will have one option and it'll be cheaper.

Dystify

I feel more for Next Level Games. They made a decent game that was obviously going to flop right from the start. Hope it doesn't sour their relationship with Nintendo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I feel more for Next Level Games. They made a decent game that was obviously going to flop right from the start. Hope it doesn't sour their relationship with Nintendo.

Doubt it - they got paid and develop the game Nintendo wanted them to develop, not their fault that Nintendo bet on the wrong IP for such a late 3DS release.

Probably already working on Luigis Mansion NX.

Raylan

Banned

But by how much.

Dude, what are you talking about? People who want a PS4 will get the SLIM model now. It's an ordinary PS4, just better. It will perform like the original PS4.

Dystify

Doubt it - they got paid and develop the game Nintendo wanted them to develop, not their fault that Nintendo bet on the wrong IP for such a late 3DS release.

Probably already working on Luigis Mansion NX.

I guess you're right. It would still make me feel bad if I work 3 years on a game that nobody's going to play.

Man, original 3DS alone selling 10 million in Japan. Impressive.

Splatoon hanging onto the edges of the top 20, though I imagine it'll bounce back next week when all the new entries drop.

Takao

Banned
One thing to consider with KoFXIV is that it's the only one in the series without an arcade release. If you want to play the game, you have no choice but to buy the PS4 game.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Dude, what are you talking about? People who want a PS4 will get the SLIM model now. It's an ordinary PS4, just better. It will perform like the original PS4.

And how many of those same people would be interested in a Neo a system that will be marketed at the same time and will have actual advantages over the PS4. Unless we assume the Neo is complete DoA it will eat into the slim's sales. What's the advantage of doing it this way

sibarraz

Banned
I wonder if KOF was a success for SNK, it sold slightly less than XIII did, while also not having an arcade revenue.

In the other hand, I don't know if this game was cheaper to produce than XIII which is infamous for his expensive sprites, but also we have to consider that part of the development budget must be associated with KOF 12

Nyoro SF

Project Diva X fell into the gutter to no one's surprise.

Victim #1 of "we'll just port it to PS4 with HD stuff way past its original release."

jjonez18

And how many of those same people would be interested in a Neo a system that will be marketed at the same time and will have actual advantages over the PS4. Unless we assume the Neo is complete DoA it will eat into the slim's sales

Not many people in Japan. Most of them still haven't upgraded to the PS4 and remain on the Vita/PS3. A more powerful PS4 that cost 50% more won't change adoption rate at all. In the West maybe?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
King of Fighter XIV, surprisingly enough, is probably the title that came out of the bomba week the best: in line with XIII's debut is probably the best realistic expectation, given the context.

Top Bottom