• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

L~A

I will update more comparisons later. For the moment, Dragon Ball Fusions is the best performing game in 3DS.

I had no idea it was selling that well compared to DB Heroes. 200k this year seems like a lock. 250k LTD seems possible, especially if holidays sales are good.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ouch, Toukiden 2 is already out of the top 20. What a disaster that's been for K-T.

Well, so far I have the impression that when Berserk Musou comes out it will make Attack on Titan and Toukiden 2 sales look high.

I still don't have a handle on what's "Good" or "bad" when it comes to Japanese sales.

It's not that hard either you are a fanboy or you are really interested to know.

With first everything on your beloved system is fine, with second you just have to do some research.

MacTag

Banned
PS2 Sengoku Basara [All Versions] 85.575 210.887 Capcom 7/21/2005
PS2 Sengoku Basara 2 [All Versions] 137.199 380.387 Capcom 7/27/2006
PS2 Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes [All Versions] 93.513 328.425 Capcom 11/29/2007
WII Sengoku Basara 2: Heroes Double Pack [All Versions] 8.600 35.046 Capcom 11/29/2007
PS2 Sengoku Basara X [All Versions] 26.897 52.960 Capcom 6/26/2008
PSP Sengoku Basara: Battle Heroes [All Versions] 88.051 336.665 Capcom 4/9/2009
PS3 Sengoku Basara 3 [All Versions] 209.312 426.357 Capcom 7/29/2010
WII Sengoku Basara 3 [All Versions] 54.601 177.711 Capcom 7/29/2010
PSP Sengoku Basara: Chronicle Heroes 77.017 166.341 Capcom 7/21/2011
PS3 Sengoku Basara 3: Utage [All Versions] 101.798 174.759 Capcom 11/10/2011
WII Sengoku Basara 3: Utage [All Versions] 37.258 122.427 Capcom 11/10/2011
PS3 Sengoku Basara HD Collection 27.551 61.387 Capcom 8/30/2012
PS3 Sengoku Basara 4 157.326 239.812 Capcom 1/23/2014
PS3 Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi 46.291 87.537 Capcom 7/23/2015
PS4 Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi 24.848 44.669 Capcom 7/23/2015
PS4 Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den 15.592 - Capcom 8/25/2016
PS3 Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den 11.796 - Capcom 8/25/2016
Tragic. I feel like Basara would've been better served following MH's lead and moving to handhelds. PSP/3DS/Vita probably would've worked out better long term than Wii/PS3/PS4 did.

Ridley327

Looking at Toukiden 2, I'm surprised that the strategy was design for PS4, and downport to Vita instead of design for Vita, and upport to PS4.

Omega Force seemed convinced that open world was the way to go for hunting action titles. As has been demonstrated quite successfully in the past, open world doesn't play very well on Vita specs. So, in spite of the genre's disproportionate popularity on handheld vs. consoles, they decided to make a game in a genre that has virtually no audience on one platform at the expense of an ugly, ugly down-port for the audience that would care on the other.

Vena

Don't worry, they're Concentrating on the West(tm).;)

I honestly wonder how much sales in the West will have to decrease to make up for the declines in Japan for PS Ecosystem games. It can't be easy.

I know we joke but... looking at early signs for GE:RB on Steam, or Amazon, I don't think the west even knows these games released.

Toukiden 2 will suffer a similar fate given its predecessor's. Outside of forums like this, I honestly think the hunting audience is effectively a myth in the west on consoles.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Japan regarding consoles = has to be cheap
Sony doesn't care if dude X buys a PS4 Slim or a PS4 Neo. In the end, he bought a PS4 for PS4 games. Software generates the money for Sony, not console hardware.
Yeah but if the comes out two-3months later than the slim in Japan and it does effect the slims sales it will inevitable effect console sales during that period as people buy games when they pick up a new console, games released during such a period have it particularly rough.

Oregano

I know we joke but... looking at early signs for GE:RB on Steam, or Amazon, I don't think the west even knows these games released.

Toukiden 2 will suffer a similar fate given its predecessor's. Outside of forums like this, I honestly think the hunting audience is effectively a myth in the west on consoles.

Gaah I noticed I put decrease instead of increase, lucky you knew what I meant.

I don't think it's something exclusive to hunting games. I just don't think JP are selling any better in the West than they were(apart from higher profile stuff getting new exposure on Steam) so it's going to be difficult to make up for losses in Japan.

Peru

Holy wow at Metroid Prime : Federation Force, this IP has now reached irrelevancy status.

Everyone saw it as a sketchy multiplayer experiment with a slapped on Metroid sticker. Nintendo won't see it as a sign of mainline Metroid's power (although they still may think mainline Metroid won't do well enough)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Holy wow at Metroid Prime : Federation Force, this IP has now reached irrelevancy status.

We're talking about a series where the reaction to the last game was toxic and Nintendo didn't seem to cared, and then the reaction to this game's unveil was toxic and Nintendo didn't care, so this feels like the obvious conclusion to me.

When your reaction is seymourskinnernoit'sthechildrenwhoarewrong.gif to any criticism, and then you don't try to engage with your audience to see how you can change the product to be more appealing to them, this is what you get.

That said, technically we should wait for the Western sales since Metroid has been tanking in Japan for ages, though when the next PAL and NPD threads roll around, I don't think it's going to be a huge shock how it does.

What's interesting, and maybe worrying, is that the PS3 SKU is the one having a softer drop which means that people holding back for the game are mostly the ones who didn't feel the need to go for the PS4 SKU and therefore don't own a PS4, whether these customers will be on PS4 or not for the next title (in 2018 ?) is another challenge the Tales IP will have to face off to alleviate the non stop dwindling of its fanbase.

Well even if you wanted to get PS4 and PS4 version this week (after the game was better received than Zestria) it was kinda hard considering the stock situation of PS4. PS4 being readily avaivable could have tansfered some of those PS3 version sales to PS4. Maybe during few first weeks of PS4 Slim PS4 version of Berseria could see softer drops than usual.

Griss

This is where the fan backlash against the game becomes invaluable. They will know that the sales failure wasn't that the IP is irrelevant, but rather specifically due to the fact that they made a game directly contrary to what the fans wanted.

There was plenty of 'buzz' around the game due to the Metroid name. Almost 100k people signed a petition to have the fucking thing cancelled. 100k disliked the launch video. People cared. The IP is still very relevant. That noise will have reached Nintendo loud and clear. Compare that amount to the pathetic 4k who bought it here, and whatever we get from NA, and it'll be less than half of that.

Nintendo simply has to realise that sometimes you have to listen to your fans or you might as well set your cash on fire. The audience who buys Mario Party might not be quality sensitive or well-informed but you can be damn sure the Metroid audience is. You want to sell games to them, you need to make what they want, and make it good.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned. But you never know with Nintendo.

casiopao

Metroid won. More than double Steam's sales. Complete disaster averted. Tanabe redeemed.

Lol. At least..... i am correct in something lol.^_^

We're talking about a series where the reaction to the last game was toxic and Nintendo didn't seem to cared, and then the reaction to this game's unveil was toxic and Nintendo didn't care, so this feels like the obvious conclusion to me.

When your reaction is seymourskinnernoit'sthechildrenwhoarewrong.gif to any criticism, and then you don't try to engage with your audience to see how you can change the product to be more appealing to them, this is what you get.

That said, technically we should wait for the Western sales since Metroid has been tanking in Japan for ages, though when the next PAL and NPD threads roll around, I don't think it's going to be a huge shock how it does.

I don't think in Japan there is any backlash though? They simply just don't care about Metroid i think.

I hope the Slim releases before Persona 5 launch

Considering how it seems that stock levels of original model are already so low Slim launch is not that far away. I mean some people already have the Slim with retail box lol. It will be ''available now'' launch after the Sonys conference in 7th of September or at most week from that. It's going to be available when Persona launches.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Considering how it seems that stock levels of original model are already so low Slim launch is not that far away. I mean some people already have the Slim with retail box lol. It will be ''available now'' launch after the Sonys conference in 7th of September or at most week from that. It's going to be available when Persona launches.
It's possible in Japan it might be "available now" after the Sony TGS keynote though, which would be 2 days after P5 launches.

01./01 [PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 39.319 / 289.040 (-84%)

First shipment according to M-C

[PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 197.875
[PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 88.403
[PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 286.278

Both are cleared by now,

Tales of Xillia, Xillia 2 and Zestiria all had a ~90% drop 2nd week, with Berseria having a ~84% drop and not having its price slashed it will have better legs than the previous entries.

So for 3rd week

We should expect something closer to Xillia than Zestiria, both had to clear their shipment something Berseria doesn't have to unless the second shipment was huge, but there's not reason to believe so (probably something between 40-60k).
What's interesting, and maybe worrying, is that the PS3 SKU is the one having a softer drop which means that people holding back for the game are mostly the ones who didn't feel the need to go for the PS4 SKU and therefore don't own a PS4, whether these customers will be on PS4 or not for the next title (in 2018 ?) is another challenge the Tales IP will have to face off to alleviate the non stop dwindling of its fanbase.

3rd week 50% drop
01./00 [PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 19.600/ 308.640

3rd week 60% drop
01./00 [PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 15.800 / 304.840

Regarding overall legs past second week (I wanted to do past third week but unfortunately we're missing famitsu data for Xillia, and for MC I don't know where to check updated LTD numbers)

Additional sales past second week

With the trend being good for Berseria I'd like to believe it'll have additional sales somewhere around 15-25%

15% additional sales
[PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 43.000 / 332.040

25% additional sales
[PS4/PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2016.08.18} (¥8.200) - 72.000 / 361.040

With the projected digital sales around ~20k for first month the game might even have a chance to outsell Zestiria PS3 LTD in the end.

It should get near enough to Zestiria. I'm more curious/worried about western sales and PC sales.

This is where the fan backlash against the game becomes invaluable. They will know that the sales failure wasn't that the IP is irrelevant, but rather specifically due to the fact that they made a game directly contrary to what the fans wanted.

No, you see, you're just an entitled baby if you voiced your opinion on FF. You should have just eaten it up and pat Nintendo on the shoulder for (more and more) disgraceful crap efforts like this. But because you complained and didn't support this title, they've cancelled the NX megaton Metroid that existed in my delusions.

Fisico

Well even if you wanted to get PS4 and PS4 version this week (after the game was better received than Zestria) it was kinda hard considering the stock situation of PS4. PS4 being readily avaivable could have tansfered some of those PS3 version sales to PS4. Maybe during few first weeks of PS4 Slim PS4 version of Berseria could see softer drops than usual.

Well the PS4 SKU already had a softer drop than usual for Tales so while it may have happen I don't think it will be noticeable enough to really care.

The point is also that these people would have been probably informed that the PS3 version was more than good enough (or didn't care and went for the PS3 version anyway), if they didn't bought a PS4 until then will they really think that it's worth waiting a few weeks for a hardware that wasn't even officially announced ?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Holy shit Project Diva X

Holy fucking shit

This is why I felt the "Well the problem with Miku is that they didn't have a staggered release!" complaint was off base.

They got a one time benefit from doing that because their audience understood there was a new platform being added, but were right to do simultaneous releases going forward after that.

Staggering releases afterwards wasn't going to be a magical money machine because everyone who wanted the other platform knew to just wait and wasn't going to give Sega twice the money every time.

MacTag

Banned

It's odd though when Zelda seems to shift almost directly in response to fan feedback. Then again Zelda sells so...

horuhe

Does Nintendo still do that thing where they threaten stores with less stock of popular games if they don't carry their duds?

I guess stores demanded that quantity, but possibly big chains and no more. Nintendo surely didn't ship enough copies for the little ones. Some months ago with the Wii U stock problems, lots of little shops really got mad at Nintendo for not reaching the shipping goals.

Don't know if that practise is still doing, though.

Javelin

Neo Member

How was Nintendo supposed to react to the FF backlash? People didn't want one or two things changed, they wanted the entire game scrapped (which obviously wasn't going to happen) and a new AAA Metroid announced instead.

Nyoro SF

This is why I felt the "Well the problem with Miku is that they didn't have a staggered release!" complaint was off base.

They got a one time benefit from doing that because their audience understood there was a new platform being added, but were right to do simultaneous releases going forward after that.

Staggering releases afterwards wasn't going to be a magical money machine because everyone who wanted the other platform knew to just wait and wasn't going to give Sega twice the money every time.

Staggering releases this late into the generation is just beyond foolish. You're not going to entice anyone that way. Better to have delayed it and do a simultaneous release. There really is no substitute for simultaneous release when it comes to reliably maximizing your sales of a title.

Next victims:
Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Ys VIII

Shin-chan

I wonder to what extent growth in SEA has been able to help offset low sales in the domestic market.

I think as a Japanese publisher that and Steam are your best chances of growth at the moment, but that's without knowing any data about the rest of Asia. And of course, Steam is far from a sure thing since you have to have been reasonably visible in the first place to make any impact there. There are more duds than successes at this point, than back when the allure of greater Japanese support was still fresh.

I can't imagine all of these Chinese translations are for nothing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How was Nintendo supposed to react to the FF backlash? People didn't want one or two things changed, they wanted the entire game scrapped (which obviously wasn't going to happen) and a new AAA Metroid announced instead.

I think it would have made sense to get out a lot of early demos for game feedback to at least make sure it was an excellent product for what it was, and maybe try and make the Metroid theming stronger by having you play more prominent characters in the universe and any other adjustments that made sense as feedback came in.

I'm skewed more toward multiplayer gaming personally, but given the series is historically singleplayer, it would have also made sense to offer a much more accessible singleplayer balancing as well.

Beyond that, I would have been very upfront about the future plans for the series. It's fine if this was the only planned product in the universe, but they should basically lay out "This series doesn't do especially well so we're trying a new approach so that we can continue it in at least some form and would like to work with people to make this more appealing." If there is a new game coming, they could have also asserted that was definitely in development the same way that XCOM the FPS would have benefitted tremendously from Take-Two just explicitly saying that Firaxis was working on a more traditional game that would come at some point in the future.

Or, put more simply, they should have asked themselves "Why is this game a Metroid title and why would people who like Metroid actually want to play this?" and started trying to answer that with the product. Otherwise, maybe they would have even just been better off rebranding the thing and then messaging on it entirely on its own merits. Nintendo got a Zelda Musou game to work for their audience and appropriately encompass aspects people liked about the series however, so I don't think this was an impossible task even with the IP attached.

AdanVC

Federation bomba. Insaaaane. I thought it was going to be at least on the very last positions of top 20 but this is ridiculous. RIP Metroid.

mrmickfran

Plus adding the fact that Future Tone completely lessens the value of Diva X by having a crapton of content. They should've released both Vita and PS4 versions simultaneously and push Future Tone back.

I knew X PS4 sales weren't going to be stellar, but damn.

Just listen to the people ? The artstyle was unappealing and everything felt cheap. If Nintendo was short on money, they could've just hired M2 and make Zero Mission, Fusion, Super Metroid and throw Metroid 2 remake in the bunch, in with stereoscopic 3D.

The problem is that this game was greenlit. It was in the weird position Nintendo unveiled it but also greenlit it. It was a product that never made sense in the begining. Like selling meat to vegans. Metroid isn't a huge IP in term of sales, but still in the million range. But it's a hardcore userbase, which has expectation to this product.

Fisico

Berseria is far better than Zestiria. It'll doing better WW and Steam.

Will it really ?
Zestiria had the benefit to be the first Tales of PC and one of the first not so low budget JRPG on PS4, it didn't have the huge backlash that the game did in Japan either.
In fact with the three SKU combined it's above 400k sales outside of Japan today (180/180/40 for PS4/PC/PS3) which are the best sales the series ever had outside Japan since Symphonia GC.

With the novelty effect wearing of on PC and Berseria still not being a technical masterpiece I'm not sure if it will be able to replicate the same sales than Zestiria had, quality might help but I'm afraid that it will not be enough.

Griss

Metroid Prime Fed Force ending spoilers:
Considering that Fed Force ends with a tease based on Sylux, implying that he'll be part of a new Prime game... Nintendo must be sweating buckets if they're developing a big, expensive Prime for NX based on Tanabe's idea of what the series should be. And if there isn't a Prime game in development, I'm not sure I'd trust Tanabe with one after he was so out of touch here.

MacTag

Banned
I wonder to what extent growth in SEA has been able to help offset low sales in the domestic market.

I think as a Japanese publisher that and Steam are your best chances of growth at the moment, but that's without knowing any data about the rest of Asia. And of course, Steam is far from a sure thing since you have to have been reasonably visible in the first place to make any impact there. There are more duds than successes at this point, than back when the allure of greater Japanese support was still fresh.

I can't imagine all of these Chinese translations are for nothing.
Koei Tecmo's one of the more successful JP publishers in Asia suppossedly and their sales there are still a small fraction of Japan going by their investor reports. It's a growth market but I feel like it's impact gets overstated to help justify obvious downward Japanese trends.

L~A

I think it would have made sense to get out a lot of early demos for game feedback to at least make sure it was an excellent product for what it was, and maybe try and make the Metroid theming stronger by having you play more prominent characters in the universe and any other adjustments that made sense as feedback came in.

I'm skewed more toward multiplayer gaming personally, but given the series is historically singleplayer, it would have also made sense to offer a much more accessible singleplayer balancing as well.

Beyond that, I would have been very upfront about the future plans for the series. It's fine if this was the only planned product in the universe, but they should basically lay out "This series doesn't do especially well so we're trying a new approach so that we can continue it in at least some form and would like to work with people to make this more appealing." If there is a new game coming, they could have also asserted that was definitely in development the same way that XCOM the FPS would have benefitted tremendously from Take-Two just explicitly saying that Firaxis was working on a more traditional game that would come at some point in the future.

Or, put more simply, they should have asked themselves "Why is this game a Metroid title and why would people who like Metroid actually want to play this?" and started trying to answer that with the product. Otherwise, maybe they would have even just been better off rebranding the thing and then messaging on it entirely on its own merits. Nintendo got a Zelda Musou game to work for their audience and appropriately encompass aspects people liked about the series however, so I don't think this was an impossible task even with the IP attached.

Bolded does make a lot of sense, and is indeed what Nintendo should have done... or rather, tried to do.

Instead, they pretty much did this:

eject_zpsda006190.gif

Which... well... is not something I can really blame them for. I honestly don't think it would've changed much. Too much toxicity surrounding the game (pretty much expected given it's been 9 years since the last "universally acclaimed" Metroid game, and 6 years since the last one period).

That being said, not really worried about the future of the series (well, outside Japan obviously).

Ōkami

Nintendo eShop Rankings (August 22nd – August 28th)

Wii U
01/01. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Microsoft) – {17/12/2015} (¥3.888)
02/NEW. Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo) – {24/08/2016} (¥2.700) – (Virtual Console Title)
03/02. Mario Super Sluggers– (Nintendo) – {17/08/2016} (¥2.700) – (Virtual Console Title)
04/NEW. Wario Land Shake It! (Nintendo) – {24/08/2016} (¥2.700) – (Virtual Console Title)
05/03. New Super Mario Bros. Wii – (Nintendo) – {09/08/2016} (¥2.700) – (Virtual Console Title)
06/04. Kirby’s Epic Yarn (Nintendo) – {09/08/2016} (¥2.777) – (Virtual Console Title)
07/09. Splatoon (Nintendo) – {28/05/2015} (¥6.156)
08/07. Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games (Nintendo) – {23/06/2016} (¥6.156)
09/00. Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) – {10/09/2015} (¥5.076)
10/00. Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) – {27/07/2016} (¥950) – (Virtual Console Title)

3DS
01/NEW. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (Inti Creates) - {25/08/2016} (¥1.960)
02/01. Pokémon Yellow (Nintendo) - {27/02/2016} (¥1.200) - (Virtual Console Title)
03/02. Pokémon Red (Nintendo) – {27/02/2016} (¥1.200) – (Virtual Console Title)
04/04. The Battle Cats POP! (Ponos) – {31/05/2015} (¥777)
05/07. Battleminer (Starsign) – {10/02/2016} (¥500)
06/03. Pokémon Blue (Nintendo) – {27/02/2016} (¥1.200) – (Virtual Console Title)
07/06. Rune Factory 4 (50% OFF) (Marvelous) – {24/01/2013} (¥2.685)
08/05. Pokémon Green (Nintendo) – {27/02/2016} (¥1.200) – (Virtual Console Title)
09/NEW. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War [New Nintendo 3DS Only] (Nintendo) – {27/08/2016} (¥923) – (Virtual Console Title)
10/08. Cube Creator 3D (Arc System Works) – {15/07/2015} (¥800)

PlayStation Store Rankings (August 22nd – August 28th)

PS4
01/01. Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts) – {22/02/2014} (¥3.024)
02/03. Salt and Sanctuary (Ska Studios) – {18/08/2016} (¥1.780)
03/02. Battlefield: Hardline (EA Best Hits) (Electronic Arts) – {21/04/2016} (¥1.944)
04/04. Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) – {18/08/2016} (¥8.856)
05/NEW. No Man’s Sky (SIE) – {25/08/2016} (¥6.372)
06/NEW. The King of Fighters XIV (SNK) – {25/08/2016} (¥7.776)
07/NEW. Arcade Archives: Darius (Hamster) – {26/08/2016} (¥823)

08/07. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (SCE) – {25/12/2014} (¥2.592)
09/10. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva - Future Tone (SEGA) – {23/06/2016} (¥8.424)
10/11. Resident Evil 6 (Capcom) – {29/03/2016} (¥2.800)
11/06. Ratchet and Clank (SIE) – {09/08/2016} (¥5.292)
12/13. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) – {28/06/2016} (¥2.800)
13/NEW. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X HD (SEGA) – {25/08/2016} (¥8.629)
14/08. Dragon Age Inquisition: Game of the Year Edition (Electronic Arts) – {07/10/2015} (¥4.104)
15/09. Need for Speed Deluxe Edition (Electronic Arts) – {12/11/2015} (¥8.424)
16/NEW. Sengoku Basara Sanada Yukimura-den (Capcom) – {25/08/2016} (¥6.990)
17/00. Grand Theft Auto V (Take Two Interactive Japan) – {11/12/2014} (¥7.193)
18/00. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft) – {10/12/2015} (¥8.100)
19/12. Bound (SIE) – {16/08/2016} (¥2.160)
20/NEW. UNO (Ubisoft) – {25/08/2016} (¥1.296)

Vita
01/01. Demon Gaze (PlayStation Vita the Best) (86% OFF) (Kadokawa) – {14/11/2013} (¥500)
02/07. Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (PlayStation Vita the Best) (44% OFF) (Nippon Ichi) – {01/05/2014} (¥2.000)
03/03. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Nihon Falcom) – {21/07/2016} (¥6.200)
04/NEW. Sengoku Otome: Legend Battle (Planet G) – {25/08/2016} (¥6.804)
05/08. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SCE) – {29/10/2014} (¥2.592)
06/10. Romancing SaGa 2 (Square Enix) – {24/03/2016} (¥2.200)
07/04. Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain (Nippon Ichi) – {23/06/2016} (¥5.143)
08/14. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Bandai Namco) – {24/04/2014} (¥1.728)
09/09. Steins;Gate (65% OFF) (5pb.) – {14/03/2013} (¥1.890)
10/06. Toukiden 2 (Koei Tecmo) – {28/07/2016} (¥6.610)
11/16. New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City (Experience) – {21/07/2016} (¥4.104)
12/NEW. PuraMai Wars V (Entergram) – {25/08/2016} (¥5.480)
13/20. Danganronpa 1-2 Reload (Spike Chunsoft) – {10/10/2013} (¥4.834)
14/11. IA/VT Colorful (PlayStation Vita the Best) (50% OFF) (Marvelous) – {10/03/2016} (¥1.890)
15/15. Collar x Malice (Idea Factory) – {18/08/2016} (¥6.264)
16/00. Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) – {06/02/2014} (¥2.057)
17/17. Touhou Genso Wanderer (Mediaescape) – {25/06/2015} (¥3.240)
18/00. Neverending Nightmares (PLAYISM) – {19/05/2016} (¥1.480)
19/12. Touhou Soujinengi V (Mediaescape) – {28/04/2016} (¥2.400)
20/00. Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified (Square Enix) – {20/12/12} (¥3.024)

Javelin

Neo Member
I think it would have made sense to get out a lot of early demos for game feedback to at least make sure it was an excellent product for what it was, and maybe try and make the Metroid theming stronger by having you play more prominent characters in the universe and any other adjustments that made sense as feedback came in..

To be fair, nothing remotely that articulate was ever conveyed to them. What was conveyed to them was a 100k signed petition to cancel a game they already made. Well they definitely heard that, because Nintendo completely stopped talking about the game afterwards unless they absolutely had to.

Has a Japanese publisher ever done this before? I know IS admitted to Awakening being a saving throw for the series but that was after the fact if I remember correctly. It might be perceived as the exact opposite of advertising to admit the series doesn't sell well. Besides, lets be honest, fans would still riot.

I hate to say this but it once fans didn't want to give FF a chance it was already a lose-lose. People have these high expectations for the Metroid series because of it's place in history, but the truth is Metroid just doesn't have the sales record to make up for a modern AAA budget. Now cheap spin-offs could be used to make up the money but apparently fans see that as an insult. Anything Nintendo says regarding the matter now will only piss people off. Could they still be handling it better? Yes. But at this point I don't see the rage dying down for anything short of Nintendo announcing something on the scale of Prime 4.

Just listen to the people ? The artstyle was unappealing and everything felt cheap. If Nintendo was short on money, they could've just hired M2 and make Zero Mission, Fusion, Super Metroid and throw Metroid 2 remake in the bunch, in with stereoscopic 3D.
Any artstyle feedback would be applied to the next game. You don't just completely re-write your graphics engine after already unveiling the visuals.

Vena

Will it really ?
Zestiria had the benefit to be the first Tales of PC and one of the first not so low budget JRPG on PS4, it didn't have the huge backlash that the game did in Japan either.
In fact with the three SKU combined it's above 400k sales outside of Japan today (180/180/40 for PS4/PC/PS3) which are the best sales the series ever had outside Japan since Symphonia GC.

With the novelty effect wearing of on PC and Berseria still not being a technical masterpiece I'm not sure if it will be able to replicate the same sales than Zestiria had, quality might help but I'm afraid that it will not be enough.

When did we get updated Zestiria PS4 sales? Just curious.

Top Bottom