• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2016 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Celine

KH3D's performance is still a bit of a mystery to me. The game is a bit rougher than BBS but not to the extent that explains the massive gap in sales and it's relatively important to the series on going plot too.
Yeah, one of the biggest disappointment on 3DS (with DQM J3 and Yokai Watch 3).
Not only it performed significantly worse than BBS it also performed well below 358/2 Days on DS and KH3D was released when 3DS was booming in Japan!

Sandfox

KH3D's performance is still a bit of a mystery to me. The game is a bit rougher than BBS but not to the extent that explains the massive gap in sales and it's relatively important to the series on going plot too.

I can't remember too well since it's been like 9 years, but I feel that SE did a better job hyping BBS and to a lesser extent 358/2 days than they did DDD and so far KH3(though 2.8 is coming).

Oregano

Yeah, one of the biggest disappointment on 3DS (with DQM J3 and Yokai Watch 3).
Not only it performed significantly worse than BBS it also performed well below 358/2 Days on DS and KH3D was released when 3DS was booming in Japan!

I wonder if KH3D kind of just foreshadowed the general declines we are seeing across the boar now.

I can't remember too well since it's been like 9 years, but I feel that SE did a better job hyping BBS and to a lesser extent 358/2 days than they did DDD and so far KH3(though 2.8 is coming).

BBS had the benefit of being hyped in Kingdom Hearts 2 but I'm not sure how much difference it made.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I never got why people were saying that SWC3 won on 3DS since LTD sales never indicated that.

You know what would be definitive proof? If we got Media Create top 1000 for 2015. Hint hint..

LTD and weekly sales always indicated SWC3 on 3DS outsold SWC3 on Vita (check 2015 first top 50s of Dengeki and Media Create) but I doubt anyone cares for a game with so low numbers which version sold better.

LTD and weekly sales always indicated SWC3 on 3DS outsold SWC3 on Vita (check 2015 first top 50s of Dengeki and Media Create) but I doubt anyone cares for a game with so low numbers which version sold better.

I know. It's the same thing with Taiko no Tatsujin on Vita though. Previously whenever it was discussed it was pointed out that the game sold sub 100k because it left the charts at that number, but obviously it charted longer than that and sold more than that.

Same thing here - I'm sure the 3DS version has outsold the Vita version, but we don't have any numbers to back that up yet. All the more reason for someone to organize the White Book 2015 then!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I know. It's the same thing with Taiko no Tatsujin on Vita though.

It's not the same, 3DS was always charting above PSV after launch and Dengeki gives a LTD longer than the first 4 weeks of Famitsu and Media Create but like I said before nobody cares.

2DS will now be readily available in Japan. September 15

Now I wonder how they'll track the 100k of Pokemon version, if they do.

It's not the same, 3DS was always charting above PSV after launch and Dengeki gives a LTD longer than the first 4 weeks of Famitsu and Media Create but like I said before nobody cares.

Dengeki also gave a LTD longer than the first 4 weeks of Famitsu & Media Create for Taiko too, y'know!

People clearly do care because there were like 2 pages of discussion of it, but I'm beginning not to care anymore too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In the event you were worried Nintendo didn't have more 3DS games in development, they announced today:
- Mario Maker 3DS
- Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World (enhanced port)
- Mario Sports: Super Stars (Golf, Soccer, Baseball, Tennis, and Horse Racing)
- A Pikmin Sidescroller
- Tank Troopers
- Momotaro Dentetsu 2017
- One or two different Mii based games, I couldn't quite tell if Miitopia and the other Mii thing were different.

There's also new DLC for Hyrule Warriors 3DS and some kind of Animal Crossing update thing.

Vena

In the event you were worried Nintendo didn't have more 3DS game in development, they announced today:
- Mario Maker 3DS
- Poochy & Yoshi's Wooly World (enhanced port)
- Mario Sports: Super Stars (Golf, Soccer, Baseball, Tennis, and Horse Racing)
- A Pikmin Sidescroller
- One or two different Mii based games, I couldn't quite tell if Miitopia and the other Mii thing were different.

There's also new DLC for Hyrule Warriors 3DS and some kind of Animal Crossing update thing.

Nintendo just done a Vita-job on the poor Wii U. Savage.

Mario Maker 3DS sounds like it was made for Japan with the way they are focusing on local over internet, specifically targeting kids at schools. For everyone else, it seems like the attraction would be the 100-Mario challenge on the go and such, since from what I can gather you can't upload or download otherwise?

Makes sense that they'd port Yoshi, though, game sold real well on the WiiU and it has excellent word of mouth, so might as well put it on the 3DS.

hiska-kun

Mario Maker 3DS sounds like it was made for Japan with the way they are focusing on local over internet, specifically targeting kids at schools. For everyone else, it seems like the attraction would be the 100-Mario challenge on the go and such, since from what I can gather you can't upload or download otherwise?

Makes sense that they'd port Yoshi, though, game sold real well on the WiiU and it has excellent word of mouth, so might as well put it on the 3DS.

Yoshi sold well in the west, pretty bad in Japan. I have MC numbers below 100k by the end of 2015. Probably over by now, but still.
3DS gives another chance to the game in Japan.

Oregano

Yeah the limitations are a bit short sighted.

Momotaro Dentetsu 2017 was also announced for 3DS.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20001466.html

Does that mean the rumour about Nintendo licensing it were true or am I getting mixed up?

Scum

Oi. Vena. Remember what you were on about concerning the NX & 3DS? This direct should sum it all nicely.
FFMmr.gif

#WiiUIsOfficiallyDead
As if it wasn't already!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
There was no new Monster Hunter game announced today, just Stories. I suppose the chances of MHXG/whatever is going to be called being 3DS/NX went up a lot.

Vena

Momotaro Dentetsu 2017 was also announced for 3DS.
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20001466.html

This is actually the big deal.

Yoshi sold well in the west, pretty bad in Japan. I have MC numbers below 100k by the end of 2015. Probably over by now, but still.

Ya I wasn't being clear, I meant in general it sold really well. But the rest is as you say and why I figure they'd do this.

Yeah the limitations are a bit short sighted.

I don't get the 3DS upload/download lack of feature, but I do get why the WiiU is cordoned off since the latter would most certainly have levels that break the former.

I am confused by this release unless they later clarify otherwise.

Mpl90

Yeah, I think Yoshi sold more in Germany than in Japan.
...Germany.

Geg

Whoa, Splatoon fell to #20 :eek:

I don't think it's ever been out of the top 20 since it was released has it?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm curious what will happen to Nintendo's handheld style games on the NX given they seem to have halted the release of new Wii U games (presumably in favor of NX games), but are just going full steam ahead with 3DS releases.

Vena

I'm curious what will happen to Nintendo's handheld style games on the NX given they seem to have halted the release of new Wii U games (presumably in favor of NX games), but are just going full steam ahead with 3DS releases.

Well, as I said yesterday, would it be unreasonable to expect a bunch of 3DS/NX releases in 2017 towards 2018? A lot of the crop announced so far is either updates or down-ports.

As noted, Nintendo has a lot of potential control over the market if they leverage the 3DS and keep it healthy while growing the NX base for the first year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, as I said yesterday, would it be unreasonable to expect a bunch of 3DS/NX releases in 2017 towards 2018? A lot of the crop announced so far is either updates or down-ports.

I don't think that'd be especially surprising from third parties, but maybe it's happening with first party titles too.

I'll be interested to see how they handle game pricing and positioning in that case, though I guess that's more of an issue overseas than in Japan where variable pricing seems quite common.

Vena

I don't think that'd be especially surprising from third parties, but maybe it's happening with first party titles too.

Well I was coming at it from what you had noted around E3 about Ever Oasis making sense as a title to keep the audience happy for a while into the next year as the NX kicks off. Nintendo may choose to take that a bit further with continued support for a year or so.

I want to say they did something similar with the GBA into the DS, but I may be confusing which gen it was that they did something similar (or at all).

hiska-kun

There was no new Monster Hunter game announced today, just Stories. I suppose the chances of MHXG/whatever is going to be called being 3DS/NX went up a lot.

Yes, if it's not in the PlayStation Meeting is NX confirmed (multi with 3DS of course).

Also, the launch of 2DS on September 15th makes me think two things.
1. Wasn't this the day rumored for PS4 Slim launch?
2. 3DS price drop won't happen in October, right?

____

Btw, Jikkyou Pro Baseball Heroes is a retail title

cheesekao

Yes, if it's not in the PlayStation Meeting is NX confirmed (multi with 3DS of course).

Also, the launch of 2DS on September 15th makes me think two things.
1. Wasn't this the day rumored for PS4 Slim launch?
2. 3DS price drop won't happen in October, right?

____

Btw, Jikkyou Pro Baseball Heroes is a retail title
Eh, I'd give it till the TGS keynote.

Gotta say, I'm impressed with the push the 3DS is getting at this point in its life. Plenty of stuff coming and even some IP mix-up to attempt to draw in a few different users. Should keep the console ticking over well.

I am intrigued to see whether any of this 2017 stuff is just 3DS.

And yeah, WiiU definitely got Vita'd huh.

That makes the 3DS lineup even stronger. Mario Maker 3DS, gimped or not, should be a big seller in Japan. The other titles are nice sellers for 2017 mostly.

Vena

That makes the 3DS lineup even stronger. Mario Maker 3DS, gimped or not, should be a big seller in Japan. The other titles are nice sellers for 2017 mostly.

MarioMaker3DS will be a big seller everywhere. It could have nothing but the 100-Mario challenge and it'd probably still sell.

Ōkami

Mario Maker ended up selling 1m on WiiU, famitsu retail + digital.

Yoshi Woolly World only shipped 130k units in Japan by March 31st, 3DS version should at the very least catch that.

2DS adverts started right away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMNrMvpRysA

Also new Happy Price Selection games, Ocarina of Time, FE: Awakening, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Mario Tennis and Lego City all launching on September 15th.

Wonder if Nintendo knows something about the PS4 slim and are somewhat counterattacking.

Mpl90

Not talked about here, but there are more Happy Price Selection titles coming on September 15th (right when 2DS drops)

- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Mario TennisOpen
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
- Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins

EDIT: Damn it, Okami.

Vena

Ōkami;215633076 said:
Wonder if Nintendo knows something about the PS4 slim and are somewhat counterattacking.

I don't think the 2DS and the PS4Slim share much in common? Unless the Slim is going to be like 10-15,000¥‎‎?

This seems more like an extension of what they did in NA/EU a few months back with turning the 2DS into a super-low entry price point.

Celine

I can't believe I missed the pun of Momtaro Dentetsu all these years...
I always read it wrong...
If it make you feel better there was actually an RPG series by Hudson starring the peach boy back in the day called Momotaro Densetsu.

Ōkami

I don't think the 2DS and the PS4Slim share much in common? Unless the Slim is going to be like 10-15,000¥‎‎?

This seems more like an extension of what they did in NA/EU a few months back with turning the 2DS into a super-low entry price point.
It's all about the timing of the announcement and release.

Also the last Wii U game releases on October 13th, same day as everywhere else, no idea why didn't they announce it until now.

Maxinas

Not talked about here, but there are more Happy Price Selection titles coming on September 15th (right when 2DS drops)

- Fire Emblem Awakening
- Mario TennisOpen
- Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
- Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
- Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins

EDIT: Damn it, Okami.

Hmm really hope that FE:A select comes on over to the states, i sold my copy 2 years ago along with other games i regret selling (Sold Heartgold/Soulsilver for $30 each -_-)

Vena

Ōkami;215637312 said:
It's all about the timing of the announcement and release.

Also the last Wii U game releases on October 13th, same day as everywhere else, no idea why didn't they announce it until now.

I get your point I just don't see the correlation. I could see this as Nintendo being hyper aggressive but I think a 3DS price drop would have been more meaningful aggression than re-releasing the 2DS.

Is the 2DS really that big of an "answer" to the PS4Slim and not just a coincidence? I'd have leaned towards answer if the XL and N got like 50-100$ price cuts of something. Those are actually major products.

BriBri

2DS is clearly a coincidence. It costs next to nothing to produce (one screen) and they can make a tidy profit with a (relatively) small retail price. It's so much cheaper than even the original 3DS that even I am surprised that they're gonna do reasonable during another holidays (expect Animal Crossing: New Leaf + at retail too).

Oregano

I'm not sure I'd characterise it as full steam ahead. It's a good amount of mid tier stuff. It seems NX is really their new third pillar(if one of those pillars is the Wii U's corpse).

I'll be interested to see how they handle game pricing and positioning in that case, though I guess that's more of an issue overseas than in Japan where variable pricing seems quite common.

Nintendo has experimented a little with variable pricing this gen but not to the extent it happens in Japan.

Mory Dunz

Mario Sports is interesting.
I think it means the end of Mario Gold and Tennis.

I also think it's a launch title for NX to try and get some sports sales back.
Is it a good decision? Well, yeah to make more sports. But to have 2 of those sports come from standalone games that sell a million or 2 already? hm...

But I'm pretty interested in Mario Party Star Rush. It looks pretty decent so comparing it to Island Tour and MP10 will be fun.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
After that direct i think this is gonna be a really great holidays for 3DS.
Should be way better than holidays 2015, expecially in the west.

Also, at this point 2DS should be tracking as a normal 3DS SKUs?

Also, after all those Wii U games coming on 3DS, is almost sure that Splatoon will get a NX release too.

Top Bottom