• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2017 (Aug 21 - Aug 27)

Feels like Capcom scrambling to establish an audience for MH on the Switch for when the inevitable 5th Gen Switch game drops in a couple of years time.
I don't think it will be that late, maybe late 2018 to early 2019. There are two MH teams. It's Capcpom after all but I doubt they were going to ignore portable MH. The other MH team wrapped up with MHXX when Switch launched. Capcom sees Switch is successful and greenlit a new MH title. It likely wouldn't be too difficult for them to heavily downgrade the MHW engine and make a traditional MH title reusing a lot of the same assets from MHW. Call the title Monster Hunter Portable 5.

I don't think it will be that late, maybe late 2018 to early 2019. There are two MH teams. It's Capcpom after all but I doubt they were going to ignore portable MH. The other MH team wrapped up with MHXX when Switch launched. Capcom sees Switch is successful and greenlit a new MH title. It likely wouldn't be too difficult for them to heavily downgrade the MHW engine and make a traditional MH title reusing a lot of the same assets from MHW. Call the title Monster Hunter Portable 5.

"heavily downgrade"? MT framework works on 3DS already

Kyoufu

What happened to Monster Hunter Portable 4?

Aters

Clearly the existing Monster Hunter userbase isn't on the Switch- Capcom made sure of that. But I'd dispute the argument that there is something inherent in the Switch userbase not interested in a game like MH. I mean- Switch is selling because of Splatoon 2, not Wii Sports.

Of course. MH has a larger user base in Japan than the total number of Switch sold.
But really, MHXX Switch is not what people want. Not only it is a port of a game came out six months ago, nobody asked for it in the first place. It's a sequel that Capcom said will not happen, and sold less than pretty much all the portable MH games before. It didn't have good word of mouth either.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The fact that MHW isnt called MH5 should be hint enough that Capcom arent ready or never intended to leave the Nintendo/Handheld market. If it was called MH5 and whatever they announce next for Switch/next Nintendo handheld could have been perceived as inferior or lesser version of the mainline game.

Just like on 3DS their goal will be to release a new MH title every fiscal year....having the releases Switch on and off between classic HD systems and Switch will help them combat some of the fatigue the IP suffered from releasing all those games on just a single system with the 3DS.

Capcoms only mistake was - like many other they thought that the Switch would need more time to prove itself as a viable system for a game like MH. Like a price drops, maybe smaller redesign and 1-2 year after launch once stuff like Pokemon/Animal Crossing would give the system the push it needed.

MHW probably wouldnt have been a Switch game because they are planning on milking both audiences but the way Switch is selling in Japan and worldwide puts some pressure on Capcom to have a game ready for it sooner than they planned....like Q4/18 or Q1/19.

I'm not sure what people were exactly expecting. Nintendo is to blame for realsing a new system mid-gen.

Monster Hunter was in developement for years, should they have put it on hiatus until Nintendo thinks it's time to share some information and dev kits about and for their new system?

cw_sasuke

I'm not sure what people were exactly expecting. Nintendo is to blame for realsing a new system mid-gen.

Monster Hunter was in developement for years, should they have put it on hiatus until Nintendo thinks it's time to share some information and dev kits about and for their new system?

Who is saying that MHW shouldnt exist ?
And yeah Nintendo is to "blame" because they released a successor to a dead system after 4 years on the market.

MHW as in MH for the PC/Console market was always going to happen - Nintendo didnt have any influence on it. This doesnt mean that Capcom could have played the last couple months a bit smarter in terms of Switch support. Especially considering there were quite close with Nintendo and probably one of the few couple outside devs that knew quite early on what Nintendo was cooking.

And yeah Nintendo is to "blame" because they released a successor to a dead system after 4 years on the market.

Nintendo is indeed to blame for releasing a new system mid gen. Software developement takes time.

Or somehow all Japanese publishers and devs started to hate Nintendo because reasons.

Oregano

Nintendo is indeed to blame for releasing a new system mid gen. Software developement takes time.

Or somehow all Japanese publishers and devs started to hate Nintendo because reasons.

The last gen of Monster Hunter was on 3DS and the Switch came out 6 years after the 3DS, that isn't mid gen.

Also I guess Monster Hunter World 2 won't be on PS5 because it will almost certainly begin development before the dev kits are out but release after the system is out. Oh wait no it doesn't work like that.

Nanashrew

Banned

MHW as in MH for the PC/Console market was always going to happen - Nintendo didnt have any influence on it. This doesnt mean that Capcom could have played the last couple months a bit smarter in terms of Switch support. Especially considering there were quite close with Nintendo and probably one of the few couple outside devs that knew quite early on what Nintendo was cooking.

It's pdot. I remember them doing the same exact disruptive stuff in NX threads.

Aters

I sure believe 3rd parties hate Nintendo because they kill off a console that cannot push software sale while releasing a new one where 3rd party titles can actually make money.

Nintendo made the absolute right call to launch Switch mid-gen, and I believe gamers and developers alike welcome this decision.

The last gen of Monster Hunter was on 3DS and the Switch came out 6 years after the 3DS, that isn't mid gen.

Also I guess Monster Hunter World 2 won't be on PS5 because it will almost certainly begin development before the dev kits are out but release after the system is out. Oh wait no it doesn't work like that.

What are you even talking about?

Monter Hunter World uses the full MT Framework engine which is a console engine, the age of the 3DS isn't relevant, which indeed got a full million seller MH just a few months ago.

The Switch is mid gen for titles like Monter Hunter World or Dragon Quest, we are still talking about a system which is supposed to run games with state of the art engines used on PS4/Xbox/PC. Including the Switch there takes time and it's exactly what we are seeing right now.

I sure believe 3rd parties hate Nintendo because they kill off a console that cannot push software sale while releasing a new one where 3rd party titles can actually make money.

Nintendo made the absolute right call to launch Switch mid-gen, and I believe gamers and developers alike welcome this decision.

It isn't even the question if it was the smart business decision but the reality and result if you release a system mid gen. It will take time until the Switch is fully integrated into the software developement circle.

Oregano

What are you even talking about?

Monter Hunter World uses the full MT Framework engine which is a console engine, the age of the 3DS isn't relevant, which indeed got a full million seller MH just a few months ago.

The Switch is mid gen for titles like Monter Hunter World or Dragon Quest, we are still talking about a system which is supposed to run games with state of the art engines used on PS4/Xbox/PC. Including the Switch there takes time and it's exactly what we are seeing right now.

The point is Monster Hunter was coming off a 3DS development cycle. Planning the game for the 3DS' successor isn't some wild concept. It wasn't even part of the equation.

EDIT: Also the point about using MT Framework is funny because Capcom even bragged about how easy it was to get the engine working on Switch.

The point is Monster Hunter was coming off a 3DS development cycle. Planning the game for the 3DS' successor isn't some wild concept. It wasn't even part of the equation.

Well, a successor was never planned by Nintendo.

Capcom supported Nintendo handheld line until the very end. Now, the Switch is in a transition phase with the additional problem that the PS4 is a thing for years with great oversea sales. And it's not that an international competing title on Switch is something that can be done fast and for cheap, it takes the same money and time as a console title now.

Capcom was one of the first companies to know about the Switch, though. They could have included the Switch in their plans for MH, but they obviously underestimated the Switch's potential success. That is an understandable situation, but Capcom is the one accountable for how sloppy they have been with dealing with their franchises in general.

What is a good reason why the port of MHXX was released a week after a major Japanese holiday?

KtSlime

It isn't even the question if it was the smart business decision but the reality and result if you release a system mid gen. It will take time until the Switch is fully integrated into the software developement circle.

Generations are fictional constructs used for classifying consoles by nerds after their release. The reality is that there is never really a good or bad time to release a console. It will get some games made especially for it, it will get some games that were announced before the console was released and ported to it, and it will get some games after it was released. This is true for every console.

Some developers hop on board sooner than others depending on what they are doing at the time and what they think of the hardware, Capcom was a bit slow to come around to the Switch, that's not completely Nintendo's fault nor is it completely Capcom's.

Oregano

Well, a successor was never planned by Nintendo.

Capcom supported Nintendo handheld line until the very end. Now, the Switch is in a transition phase with the additional problem that the PS4 is a thing for years with great oversea sales. And it's not that an international competing title on Switch is something that can be done fast and for cheap, it takes the same money and time as a console title now.

I refuse to believe this isn't a ridiculous joke comment.

Capcom was one of the first companies to know about the Switch, thought. They could have included the Switch in their plans for MH, but they obviously underestimated the Switch's potential success. That is an understandable situation, but Capcom is the one accountable for how sloppy they have been with dealing with their franchises.

It's not Capcom. There is also no Dragon Quest for Switch, despite it's even running on the Unreal engine which has full support for the Switch already. And there are still many PS4(/Vita) only games announced. Blaming only the third parties for the slowly growing support is missing the point.

The PS4 suffered a long transition phase, it's a similiar situation for the Switch now for slightly different reasons.

DrWong

Iwata was talking about an unified platform many years ago.

Do you claim that Nintendo actual planned to release a traditional 3DS successor but somehow it just didn't happen?
And what if they decided to release a... non traditional successor...?

Oregano

Iwata was talking about an unified platform many years ago.

Do you claim that Nintendo actual planned to release a traditional 3DS successor but somehow it just didn't happen?

That's an irrelevant, meaningless distinction. Switch is the next portable hardware from Nintendo, it came out right when the 3DS' successor should have.

Laplasakos

What happened to Monster Hunter Portable 4?

The same thing that happened to Monster Hunter Portable 3rd G.

First let's wait and see if they are going to make MH World G before start talking about a sequel.

Isn't MH World the 5th gen game ? I haven't followed the news very actively, I only saw the E3 trailer and the one in the desert.

The first 5th gen game. They haven't announced anything beyond that.

The 5th Gen game for Switch isn't happening as a reaction to Switch's success but, yes, early-mid 2019.

The fact that MHW isnt called MH5 should be hint enough that Capcom arent ready or never intended to leave the Nintendo/Handheld market. If it was called MH5 and whatever they announce next for Switch/next Nintendo handheld could have been perceived as inferior or lesser version of the mainline game.

Just like on 3DS their goal will be to release a new MH title every fiscal year....having the releases Switch on and off between classic HD systems and Switch will help them combat some of the fatigue the IP suffered from releasing all those games on just a single system with the 3DS.

Capcoms only mistake was - like many other they thought that the Switch would need more time to prove itself as a viable system for a game like MH. Like a price drops, maybe smaller redesign and 1-2 year after launch once stuff like Pokemon/Animal Crossing would give the system the push it needed.

MHW probably wouldnt have been a Switch game because they are planning on milking both audiences but the way Switch is selling in Japan and worldwide puts some pressure on Capcom to have a game ready for it sooner than they planned....like Q4/18 or Q1/19.

Common sense should be a hint that Capcom never intended to leave Nintendo handhelds. World has been in development since before the Switch was being shown and discussed with third parties. Capcom is just looking to serve both audiences. And there is no pressure. 2019 was always the motive.

It's not Capcom. There is also no Dragon Quest for Switch, despite it's even running on the Unreal engine which has full support for the Switch already. And there are still many PS4(/Vita) only games announced. Blaming only the third parties for the slowly growing support is missing the point.

The PS4 suffered a long transition phase, it's a similiar situation for the Switch now for slightly different reasons.
As I said, it was an understandable situation. However, Capcom's response has been weird and sloppy. What is a good reason why the port of MHXX was released a week after a major Japanese holiday to a system with major supply issues? It looks like Nintendo even accommodated the game and shifted the holiday supply of the system to ship with the game.

Oregano

As I said, it was an understandable situation. However, Capcom's response has been weird and sloppy. What is a good reason why the port of MHXX was released a week after a major Japanese holiday to a system with major supply issues? It looks like Nintendo even accommodated the game and shifted the holiday supply of the system to ship with the game.

Nah, Nintendo is incompetent but third parties have perfect clarity and never make mistakes, especially Capcom.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Feels like Capcom scrambling to establish an audience for MH on the Switch for when the inevitable 5th Gen Switch game drops in a couple of years time.

Good luck with that
Establishing the user Base like this instead that with MH3G and the parallel ciinfirmation of MH4 will surely bring them to success

But you are right. I can't understand how others were claiming the possibility for a MH swith game before 2019

Even in that case, after XX and world would still be one game per year

Hino would be proud

And what if they decided to release a... non traditional successor...?

You mean like the Switch? You can buy it in Japanese stores right now... sometimes.

That's an irrelevant, meaningless distinction. Switch is the next portable hardware from Nintendo, it came out right when the 3DS' successor should have.

World entered developement four years ago. At a time when the 3DS got the main series titles, WiiU was dead, information about the Switch weren't a thing, and the time of the PS4 release.

Sure Capcom is to blame for the lack of a Switch version of World.

Oregano

You mean like the Switch? You can buy it in Japanese stores right now... sometimes.

World entered developement four years ago. At a time when the 3DS got the main series titles, WiiU was dead, information about the Switch weren't a thing, and the time of the PS4 release.

Sure Capcom is to blame for the lack of a Switch version of World.

There's games in development right now that will release on the PS5.

If Capcom couldn't guess that Nintendo would release portable hardware that was a generational leap over the 3DS they're more stupid than anyone thinks.

wrowa

Well, it's not really all that irrelevant from a 3rd party's point of view, actually. Switch being a new kind of hardware made it difficult to judge whether its appeal would be closer to 3DS or Wii U, since you can't compare it directly to either past Nintendo handhelds or consoles. Quite a few 3rd parties apparently consequentially underestimated Switch.

There's games in development right now that will release on the PS5.

If Capcom couldn't guess that Nintendo would release portable hardware that was a generational leap over the 3DS they're more stupid than anyone thinks.

A system being a generation leap over the 3DS wouldn't have run World, which is a 30fps game on the base PS4 and Xbox.

Of course your logic would mean that World shouldn't have happen at all.

Oregano

Well, it's not really all that irrelevant from a 3rd party's point of view, actually. Switch being a new kind of hardware made it difficult to judge whether its appeal would be closer to 3DS or Wii U, since you can't compare it directly to either past Nintendo handhelds or consoles. Quite a few 3rd parties apparently consequentially underestimated Switch.

Even if we accept that as a factor there are people at those companies who paid substantial amounts of money to do research and forecast these things. They fucked up, badly.

What's more apparent than third parties not having faith in Switch is the fact that quite a lot of them(especially Capcom) didn't have anything planned in the event the platform was a success. They didn't hedge their bets, they bet against it.

EDIT:
A system being a generation leap over the 3DS wouldn't have run World, which is a 30fps game on the base PS4 and Xbox.

Of course your logic would mean that World shouldn't have happen at all.

You keep saying this but it's something you have entirely made up in your mind.

Also the point is that Capcom never even considered the 3DS successor for MH World and any suggestion that World skipping Switch/3DS Successor/Splorgenborg is anything other than their choice is Grade A bullshit.

cw_sasuke

Common sense should be a hint that Capcom never intended to leave Nintendo handhelds. World has been in development since before the Switch was being shown and discussed with third parties. Capcom is just looking to serve both audiences. And there is no pressure. 2019 was always the motive.

Pressure might be the wrong term....but Capcom def. didnt expect the Switch to start out this strong so worldwide - in some ways it is the perfect system for MH so now they have to "ignore" it for the next 2 years and hope no other big dev doesnt go for that market on Switch as well.

This is true - not that they were right but eben companies like Level 5 seems to be surprised that the Switch is what it is right now....at least they seem to be able to adapt more quickly to what is happening right now so we can expect their next announcements to include Switch as well.

Aters

Even if we accept that as a factor there are people at those companies who paid substantial amounts of money to do research and forecast these things. They fucked up, badly.

What's more apparent than third parties not having faith in Switch is the fact that quite a lot of them(especially Capcom) didn't have anything planned in the event the platform was a success. They didn't hedge their bets, they betted against it.

They were cautious after WIIU, nothing wrong with that. Capcom is not the only one that is caught off guard by Switch, Nintendo is also suffering because of failing to anticipate the demand. Give them time, we can see right now companies like Capcom and KT are adjusting their strategy.

You keep saying this but it's something you have entirely made up in your mind.

Also the point is that Capcom never even considered the 3DS successor for MH World and any suggestion that World skipping Switch/3DS Successor/Splorgenborg is anything other than their choice is Grade A bullshit.

3DS was the home of the Monter Hunter main titles and got the last MH main title just a few months ago.
And now they are releasing a new Monter Hunter main title on consoles and PC at the beginning of 2018, which can also work as base for future Switch MH titles.

What is the deal breaker for you here? Supporting the PS4? Trying to tap into the international market?

Oregano

Pressure might be the wrong term....but Capcom def. didnt expect the Switch to start out this strong so worldwide - in some ways it is the perfect system for MH so now they have to "ignore" it for the next 2 years and hope no other big dev doesnt go for that market on Switch as well.

This is true - not that they were right but eben companies like Level 5 seems to be surprised that the Switch is what it is right now....at least they seem to be able to adapt more quickly to what is happening right now so we can expect their next announcements to include Switch as well.

That's not going to be a problem if we look at the Hunting Action games(or similar games of last gen):

Lord of Apocalypse(Vita): Dead
Ragnarok Odyssey(Vita): Dead?
Soul Sacrifice(Vita): Sony First Party, Dead
God Eater(Vita): PS4 game
Toukiden(Vita): PS4 game
Freedom Wars(Vita): Sony First Party, Dead
Phantasy Star Nova(Vita): Dead?
Final Fantasy Explorers(3DS): Mobile Game

They were cautious after WIIU, nothing wrong with that. Capcom is not the only one that is caught off guard by Switch, Nintendo is also suffering because of failing to anticipate the demand. Give them time, we can see right now companies like Capcom and KT are adjusting their strategy.

Kimishima at least always said he thought it could be a Wii level success, now the problem is chip shortages.

EDIT:
3DS was the home of the Monter Hunter main titles and got the last MH main title just a few months ago.
And now they are releasing a new Monter Hunter main title on consoles and PC at the beginning of 2018, which can also work as base for future Switch MH titles.

What is the deal breaker for you here? Supporting the PS4? Trying to tap into the international market?

WTF are you on about? Please quote where I've complained about the existence of the game or it being on PS4.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

The Switch is perfectly timed for a new handheld generation.

cw_sasuke

That's not going to be a problem if we look at the Hunting Action games(or similar games of last gen):

Lord of Apocalypse(Vita): Dead
Ragnarok Odyssey(Vita): Dead?
Soul Sacrifice(Vita): Sony First Party, Dead
God Eater(Vita): PS4 game
Toukiden(Vita): PS4 game
Freedom Wars(Vita): Sony First Party, Dead
Phantasy Star Nova(Vita): Dead?
Final Fantasy Explorers(3DS): Mobile Game

Those were mostly all Vita games when the alternative option was the real-deal on the more popular handheld with the 3DS. There wont be a hunting action game of that style for quite some while....its not unreasonable to expect some dev/publishers to establish something on Switch while Capcom is busy.

We are still very early in this gen and Nintendo knew that Capcom wont have a real MH for their system ready in a while....

WTF are you on about? Please quote where I've complained about the existence of the game or it being on PS4.

Well, you can't stop complaining about the existence of World.

The Switch is perfectly timed for a new handheld generation.

Only that the increase of computing power means that the developement costs and time increased to full console level. The Switch is now competing with the other consoles for software titles.

There is no handheld niche left anymore outside of the slowly declining 3DS.

Oregano

Those were mostly all Vita games when the alternative option was the real-deal on the more popular handheld with the 3DS. There wont be a hunting action game of that style for quite some while....its not unreasonable to expect some dev/publishers to establish something on Switch while Capcom is busy.

We are still very early in this gen and Nintendo knew that Capcom wont have a real MH for their system ready in a while....

I joked about it earlier but if it's going to be anything it will be Splatoon 2/Salmon Run. It'd be interesting to hear how popular Salmon Run is from a Japanese Gaffer.

EDIT:
Well, you can't stop complaining about the existence of World.

Only that the increase of computing power means that the developement costs and time increased to full console level. The Switch is now competing with the other consoles for software titles.

There is no handheld niche left anymore outside of the slowly declining 3DS.

Quote me.

LordKano

While you're talking about hunting games, I haven't see the news posted here but God Eater 3 will most likely be revealed next month, during a concert :
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/god-eater-new-project-news-coming-october-7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oky4N_cEjc

Apparently (didn't check the info) the trailer talks about a home console game, meaning that there won't even be a Vita SKU to mitigate the inevitable collapse in sales that this future PS4-only release will be. They already announced that it will release worldwide so they're probably betting on enough growth in the west to compensate.

Asd202

It's not called MH5 because it's realising on platform that did not have numbered entries before. It's also more Western focused in marketing and giving 5 in number would only confuse the owners of the consoles the game is releasing on. It makes much more sense to give it a unique subtitle.

Kyoufu

While you're talking about hunting games, I haven't see the news posted here but God Eater 3 will most likely be revealed next month, during a concert :
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/god-eater-new-project-news-coming-october-7
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oky4N_cEjc

Apparently (didn't check the info) the trailer talks about a home console game, meaning that there won't even be a Vita SKU to mitigate the inevitable collapse in sales that this future PS4-only release will be. They already announced that it will release worldwide so they're probably betting on enough growth in the west to compensate.

I could see GE3 being on Switch too. Isn't Code Vein also on Switch?

Top Bottom