• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2014 (Aug 25 - Aug 31)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (¥34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)

So if Xbox One is 30K, Microsoft is losing 50% of first-week buyers every launch.

considering how in this gen we actually saw the big drop from last gen results not at launch but in the weekly average sales, it would be a clear message about Xbone Japanes destiny, I suppose.

Eolz

Oh wow that prediction league result!
Didn't expect that at all, thought Senran Kagura 2 killed my chances as I was too optimistic...

zeromcd73

We got a Layton's Puzzle instead.
''A man with access to early sales data is giving us a hint in regards to the new console that went on sale this week.
Can you figure out how much Xbox One sold in its first week in Japan based on a product page from Amazon?''

considering how in this gen we actually saw the big drop from last gen results not at launch but in the weekly average sales, it would be a clear message about Xbone Japanes destiny, I suppose.

It's really interesting how pretty much every single system released in recent years seen this pattern.

3DS, PSV, WIU, PS4 all had strong start but sales completely collapsed few weeks after launch. It wasn't like this last gen, even the struggling PS3 took months till it dropped bellow 10k.

duckroll

http://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/news/detail/eaa32c96f620053cf442ad32258076b9/

I fucking called it. The DQX producer confirms that they actually stopped shipments for DQX 3DS after the server problems came to light, because the congestion on the cloud servers were bad and they wanted to give priority to those who bought the game to be able to play it without the problem getting worse. They've monitored the situation and there will be a small shipment this Thursday. They plan on resuming shipments regularly if there are no severe issues.

I fucking called it. The DQX producer confirms that they actually stopped shipments for DQX 3DS after the server problems came to light, because the congestion on the cloud servers were bad and they wanted to give priority to those who bought the game to be able to play it without the problem getting worse. They've monitored the situation and there will be a small shipment this Thursday. They plan on resuming shipments regularly if there are no severe issues.

power of the cloud needs more power

crinale

awww shit. From the famitsu leaker:

Horri cuts himself off at the end. DQ11 PS4 hype!!!!

I read the summary at some other sites too. Horii said DQ11 is now in development so they want ppl to play DQ Heroes and get hyped for DQ11. While it doesn't guarantee anything I now think there's a little chance DQ11 comes to PS platforms.

And as for DQ10 for 3DS, SE admitted they've halted the shipment because their cloud server can't keep up. They'll do a little more shipment later this week.

Edit: Beaten T_T

Foshy

That's actually a sensible decision. Surprising, coming from SE.

It's really interesting how pretty much every single system released in recent years seen this pattern.

3DS, PSV, WIU, PS4 all had strong start but sales completely collapsed few weeks after launch. It wasn't like this last gen, even the struggling PS3 took months till it dropped bellow 10k.

That's because incompetent managment of their studios completly underestimates buying power of early adopters when new machine is released and they are one-two years behind with proper support.

L~A

Was the game really THAT successful? Then again, there's also the 3DS XL promotion: I wouldn't be surprised if the problem came from those users.

Does that mean they stopped downloads for the promotion too?

I read the summary at some other sites too. Horii said DQ11 is now in development so they want ppl to play DQ Heroes and get hyped for DQ11. While it doesn't guarantee anything I now think there's a little chance DQ11 comes to PS platforms.

I think most people agreed that DQXI would appear on PS4 at one point. This further confirms it.

Now, it remains to be seen wheher it'll be an exclusive or not. They built a fanbase on the 3DS, so I doubt they're gonna throw that under the bus... but a PS4/3DS multiplat sounds a bit... extreme (I know Squeenix said they wanted to go multiplat for the DQ series, but...).

I doubt it's a PS4 exclusive, because building a fanbase with a spin-off game that got very little of what made DQ successful in the first place is a bit... strange.

About XB1... not really surprised at the lack of Famitsu numbers. No way Microsoft was going to parade with such horrid numbers, and the launch probably wasn't a big deal enough for Famitsu to have a special report.

Now, it remains to be seen wheher it'll be an exclusive or not. They built a fanbase on the 3DS, so I doubt they're gonna throw that under the bus... but a PS4/3DS multiplat sounds a bit... extreme (I know Squeenix said they wanted to go multiplat for the DQ series, but...)

Mainline Dragon Quest entries are regularly 4m+ in Japan though, right? It's going to be quite some time until PS4 passes that number, and even then, it's not going to have 100% attach rate.

I don't envisage any situation where it's PS4 exclusive.

I actually think what happened with NiNoKuni is a great example of PS4/3DS could work. Not quite the same game but close enough, worked well on both. Bulk of the sales on the handheld but a lot more western potential on the home console.

Mainline Dragon Quest entries are regularly 4m+ in Japan though, right? It's going to be quite some time until PS4 passes that number, and even then, it's not going to have 100% attach rate.

I don't envisage any situation where it's PS4 exclusive.

I actually think what happened with NiNoKuni is a great example of PS4/3DS could work. Not quite the same game but close enough, worked well on both. Bulk of the sales on the handheld but a lot more western potential on the home console.

If it's already in the works maybe they can manage to release in 2016.
PS4, PS3 and a different version for 3DS

Busaiku

Only Dragon Quest IX sold 4 million.
The rest are around in the 3 millions.

duckroll

I don't get this at all. How is this a reasonable comment when talking about DQXI? What is "close enough"? They're absolutely not the same game at all. It's two completely different games based on a basic story premise. The graphic assets are completely different, the script is different, the areas are different, the battle system is different, the cutscenes are different, etc. It's not an enhanced port, it's two completely different games.

hiska-kun

Was the game really THAT successful? Then again, there's also the 3DS XL promotion: I wouldn't be surprised if the problem came from those users.

Does that mean they stopped downloads for the promotion too?

I don't know, but be aware that pre-orders for New 3DS (that implies advertisment too) started last Friday.
So we're going to see a drop for 3DS hardware sales this week.
Even we assume all the 3DS XL downloaded Dragon Quest the past week, I don't think that number will be bigger than 20k.

I'm not at all surprised at the Wii U outselling the PS4 - I have a feeling Nintendo will win it this generation with all their amazing 1st party titles.

I don't get this at all. How is this a reasonable comment when talking about DQXI? What is "close enough"? They're absolutely not the same game at all. It's two completely different games based on a basic story premise. The graphic assets are completely different, the script is different, the areas are different, the battle system is different, the cutscenes are different, etc. It's not an enhanced port, it's two completely different games.

I was under the impression that the story was the same for both, and then the PS3 version had extra story content which the DS version didn't have.

I get that they're delivered differently. Much like you'll get 3DS version of Activision stuff (Skylanders; Spider-Man) tailored to that hardware but based on the home console release.

In the context of Japan, I'd consider that, "close enough" to give consumers a choice between what they want.

If that's not what happened with the game and it's completely different in every conceivable way, then never mind, I've misunderstood.. Sorry for making the comment.

duckroll

I was under the impression that the story was the same for both, and then the PS3 version had extra story content which the DS version didn't have.

I get that they're delivered differently. Much like you'll get 3DS version of Activision stuff (Skylanders; Spider-Man) tailored to that hardware but based on the home console release.

In the context of Japan, I'd consider that, "close enough" to give consumers a choice between what they want.

If that's not what happened with the game and it's completely different in every conceivable way, then never mind, I've misunderstood.. Sorry for making the comment.

I'm just wondering what the bar is for "close enough" here. Like, in the context of the discussion, what are we looking at to see if it would be an appealing strategy for another company.

For Ninokuni, I don't think it was just about tailoring the "same game" to different platforms. Instead they were clearly making two different games based on similar story material, for two platforms. There was considerable effort invested into it, and I'm not sure if I'll agree it was even successful based on the intent.

The DS version of Ninokuni uses fixed camera backgrounds, a completely turn based battle system, and the physical magic spell book was packed in with every copy. It was intended to be a very exciting new toy for kids, banking on the Ghibli brand. Level5 didn't seem very pleased with the 600k or so it sold in Japan, considering the potential the DS had.

The PS3 version of Ninokuni is a fully 3D game with adjustable camera, a realtime battle system with AI party members, and it's designed to use a virtual spellbook in the game instead because stores apparently didn't like stocking the huge DS package. It ended up selling about 100k in Japan, which was a huge disappointment. It also came out a whole year after the DS version, because development took much longer. Sure, the overseas sales seemed to be pretty good (at 1.4 million sold for the series, that puts the sales outside of Japan at about 700k I guess?).

So in the end they funded two complete development teams to make two different games based on the same source concept, and one game sold 600k worldwide (the DS version was never released outside of Japan), while the other game sold 800k worldwide. For a huge undertaking like this, I would say it wasn't a very successful project at all. Level5 has many other games which sell way more than that - Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Yokai Watch. And all of these games were brand new IPs without the "brand power" of Ghibli, and the resources put into making two big RPGs on different platforms.

I guess in the end the question is - would it really be smart for S-E to look at this example and want to do it too?

May16

I think he/she is curious how Sony's pre-TGS conference affected this week's sale. I could be wrong, though...

I don't expect much from that. Japan tends to react when things are on the shelves, not just when they're announced.

Of course, the sales are so low right now that a coincidental bump might look like something it isn't (and then Dualshockers will write a headline "PS4 sales Soar an astounding 23% after Sony conference!").

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I guess in the end the question is - would it really be smart for S-E to look at this example and want to do it too?

Nope.
I think that IF dqx will perform positively on 3DS, they could go for a PS4 game with a streamed-version for 3ds.

Atram

Nope.
I think that IF dqx will perform positively on 3DS, they could go for a PS4 game with a streamed-version for 3ds.

a streamed singleplayer DQ? or will DQXI go the IX route with an Online MP (but more like the DS MP not an MMO? )

Foshy

Nope.

That's an interesting theory. Though I think that when DQXI finally comes out, the 4DS will probably be here already.

duckroll

Nope.

That doesn't sound like a reasonable option either. With DQX 3DS, the subscription fee (which is unique to the 3DS version and not applicable to the Wii/WiiU/PC versions) also offsets the cost of running the cloud services. People are willing to pay the fee because it is a MMO. If it's a single player RPG, charging a fee would be really silly (especially since the game wouldn't even really be completely "portable" if it's streamed).

Sounds like a terrible idea.

iceatcs

30k would be a decent enough number for XBone that noone would get fired right away.

Not sure about it. If Xbox made no difference than 360, then more Japanese devs will lose the big production job. And less big projects too.

People who get fired/quit right away likely is one of MS Japan employees.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm more interested in how PS4 performed this week.
Me too xD
Unless there are many people sitting on the fence about the current PS4 games (which i personally doubt there are), i dont see any reason to buy a PS4 at this time in anticipation from what we saw from the pre-TGS Sony show. I wouldnt be surprised if the numbers even go a bit down because of the Dragon Quest Slime PS4 edition (people waiting to get that instead).

EDIT: And maybe also the wait for the white PS4 (Destiny bundle).

Xenus

I'm just wondering what the bar is for "close enough" here. Like, in the context of the discussion, what are we looking at to see if it would be an appealing strategy for another company.

For Ninokuni, I don't think it was just about tailoring the "same game" to different platforms. Instead they were clearly making two different games based on similar story material, for two platforms. There was considerable effort invested into it, and I'm not sure if I'll agree it was even successful based on the intent.

The DS version of Ninokuni uses fixed camera backgrounds, a completely turn based battle system, and the physical magic spell book was packed in with every copy. It was intended to be a very exciting new toy for kids, banking on the Ghibli brand. Level5 didn't seem very pleased with the 600k or so it sold in Japan, considering the potential the DS had.

The PS3 version of Ninokuni is a fully 3D game with adjustable camera, a realtime battle system with AI party members, and it's designed to use a virtual spellbook in the game instead because stores apparently didn't like stocking the huge DS package. It ended up selling about 100k in Japan, which was a huge disappointment. It also came out a whole year after the DS version, because development took much longer. Sure, the overseas sales seemed to be pretty good (at 1.4 million sold for the series, that puts the sales outside of Japan at about 700k I guess?).

So in the end they funded two complete development teams to make two different games based on the same source concept, and one game sold 600k worldwide (the DS version was never released outside of Japan), while the other game sold 800k worldwide. For a huge undertaking like this, I would say it wasn't a very successful project at all. Level5 has many other games which sell way more than that - Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Yokai Watch. And all of these games were brand new IPs without the "brand power" of Ghibli, and the resources put into making two big RPGs on different platforms.

Not just that but even though it sold 600k the 3DS version was so poorly recieved it poisoned the market for the PS3 version in Japan

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That doesn't sound like a reasonable option either. With DQX 3DS, the subscription fee (which is unique to the 3DS version and not applicable to the Wii/WiiU/PC versions) also offsets the cost of running the cloud services. People are willing to pay the fee because it is a MMO. If it's a single player RPG, charging a fee would be really silly (especially since the game wouldn't even really be completely "portable" if it's streamed).

Sounds like a terrible idea.

do we know that DQ11 will be a single player RPG?
If it is, I don't think they'll go for a stream-based 3DS version.
Still not sure that in that case they'd rule the 3Ds out to go for a PS4 exclusive (unless they found a deal with Sony): not because "omg I hate sony", but because to sell more than 3 millions copies it would mean to wait a lot imho in terms of install base.

Salex_

I'm not at all surprised at the Wii U outselling the PS4 - I have a feeling Nintendo will win it this generation with all their amazing 1st party titles.

Err...with all of the high selling games in Japan they put out it's currently selling 2k more than the PS4.. As of right now, the PS4 only has 2 notable cross-gen launch title games for the Japanese market. I don't see how the Wii U can sell more than the PS4 next year.

urfe

I really hope DQXI is for Wii U.

There's no reason to speculate that it will be, but irrational me wants it to happen.

I may buy DQX Wii U this month to support it! (You mayve seen I made a thread about that)

If it goes to PS4, I buy a PS4.

After Wii U, Vita is my second choice

Top Bottom