• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2015 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
People were very pessimistic about TPP a month ago

I don't remember any discussion like this for TPP and I doubt it ever happened. The only argument was between me and some other posters that MGSV will see a decline comparing to MGS4.

Orgen

I don't remember any discussion like this for TPP and I doubt it ever happened. The only argument was between me and some other posters that MGSV will see a decline comparing to MGS4.

Exactly. Still waiting for the threads saying that TPP would sell less than 500.000 LTD

A lot of whisful thinking and some inventions in the last posts... hoping the new thread today brings new discussions to the table :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

And I'd say that the MGS4 to MGS5 hypotetical decrease would be a legit discussion, in a MC topic.
The only "pro PS4" discussion I could support is that until few months ago many of us expected a way more balanced split between PS3 and PS4, compared to what it could actually be (in PS4 favor)

Darius

Banned
Interesting to see all this talk about it´s doing better than expected talk, late last year and earlier this year there have been often posters pointing out that 2015 PS4 will be its year often touting the 1Q lineup. Games like Bloodbourne, DQH, Yakuzo 0, Final Fantasy Type 0, MGS5 among others were supposed to raise the weekly baseline considerably for the whole year, and even FFXV was supposed to be a late 2015 release, just to show how optimistic many were. But suddenly it´s supposed to have been the other way around and many expected PS4 to do worse than last year? Please ...

I don't think anyone is saying, outright, that the PS4 won't or can't reach 6m, its a question of when and, in theory, if at all given we don't know its eventual lifetime period but not that it is fundamentally impossible. (Also people need to stop comparing things to the PS3/Wii era, that time is long gone. And, as I've said before, known quantity releases see their affects overtime (and usually early) and they aren't what ultimately change the fate of hardware unless things start off with a bang and stay that way. You need unexpected software to shake up interest, not tried and true IP that people have seen and experience a dozen times over... or already bought the console for in the past.)

Also those are some mighty, mighty high expectations of DQXI you have. Simultaneous or differed isn't that large of a differentiator on how much a split is going to be as they offer their own pros and cons with adoption/double dip/impulse purchases, but here you're outright saying that what was a 80/20 split (as by virtue of simple platform population logistics) is going to fly to 50/50 (with similar platform population logistical differences). Do you expect the 3DS to simply lose all its software buying audience? This ratio is simply impossible without the total collapse of the 3DS userbase on levels even beyond that of even the PS3's collapse.

This ratio wouldn't even be realistic if the games were completely and totally different.
im not trying to compare to the ps3/wii era, more just how ps consoles have sold in recent times, how they have more solid sales vs nintendo consoles which have much higher peak years, as third parties games are pretty much responsible these kind of trends.

im assuming by the time dqxi releases that the ps4 userbase will be sufficient enough that it won't hold back software sales for multiplatform games

im also assuming the 3ds will no longer be the defacto platform, as nx should be the main competition, so it is similar to the ps3 vs ps4 multiplatform games, 3ds being the ps3 in this case

not to say nx will be the biggest competition but it will be the new thing but ps4 will be the "younger" platform than the 3ds, i expect it to have the bigger software ratio, so giving the 3ds 50% of it is actually me being bias towards the 3ds

i really hope nx is a success, japan needs it and satoru iwata deserves it

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
im not trying to compare to the ps3/wii era, more just how ps consoles have sold in recent times, how they have more solid sales vs nintendo consoles which have much higher peak years, as third parties games are pretty much responsible these kind of trends.

im assuming by the time dqxi releases that the ps4 userbase will be sufficient enough that it won't hold back software sales for multiplatform games

im also assuming the 3ds will no longer be the defacto platform, as nx should be the main competition, so it is similar to the ps3 vs ps4 multiplatform games, 3ds being the ps3 in this case

not to say nx will be the biggest competition but it will be the new thing but ps4 will be the "younger" platform than the 3ds, i expect it to have the bigger software ratio, so giving the 3ds 50% of it is actually me being bias towards the 3ds

There's no way PS4 having remotely close to 50% share for DQXI. Not even blind Sony fanboys believe this.

Alo0oy

Banned

I'm 100% positive I had that discussion a month or two ago in one of the MC threads. I don't like quote mining other posters as I think that's kinda rude, but you're free to look up the previous MC threads if you think I'm making anything up.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I'm 100% positive I had that discussion a month or two ago in one of the MC threads. I don't like quote mining other posters as I think that's kinda rude, but you're free to look up the previous MC threads if you think I'm making anything up.

I checked your posting history, nothing came up. Like I said before if there was such a conversation in these threads for super pessimist MGSV predictions I'd remember it.

All there is is this. Who are all these people with the <500k LTD?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170880056#post170880056

Interesting to see all this talk about it´s doing better than expected talk, late last year and earlier this year there have been often posters pointing out that 2015 PS4 will be its year often touting the 1Q lineup. Games like Bloodbourne, DQH, Yakuzo 0, Final Fantasy Type 0, MGS5 among others were supposed to raise the weekly baseline considerably for the whole year, and even FFXV was supposed to be a late 2015 release, just to show how optimistic many were. But suddenly it´s supposed to have been the other way around and many expected PS4 to do worse than last year? Please ...

Evidently they did raise the baseline so whatever your point is its invalid.
Furthermore, before Q1 this year there were people unsure if PS4 was going to be YOY so please Darius.

Darius

Banned
Evidently they did raise the baseline so whatever your point is its invalid.
Furthermore, before Q1 this year there were people unsure if PS4 was going to be YOY so please Darius.

I responded to users that said that expectations were the exact opposite, therefore a decline, which wasn´t really the case. please understand my friend. Also to be more precise, expectations surely weren´t as modest as the actual mediocre sub 20k units we ended up seeing for quite some time now.

sörine;178053884 said:
Well, it's not based solely on the the microcosm of internet message boards. We can also look at, you know, actual sales. Where mainline FF is longer a multimillion seller and direct mainline sequels are no longer even million sellers. I'm not sure if I'd characterize FFX/X-2 HD as doing especially well either. They're well below the DS remakes, more comparable to the GBA conversions.

It isn't exactly controversial to suggest FFXV will perform below XIII.

What are you even talking about? 'Where a mainline FF game is no longer a multimillion seller' - There hasn't been any mainline FF games since FF XIII, save for FFXIV which was an MMO.

'And direct main sequels are no longer even million sellers' - You must have missed where I said that Final Fantasy XIII was a divisive game. A lot of people didn't like it in the end, so it's no wonder it's sequels didn't sell well. Aside from FFX-2, a sequel to a critically acclaimed game, what direct sequels are you even comparing this to? Either way, that's absolutely no indication of how well a future, well made mainline single player Final Fantasy game will sell.

Now, you're saying the FFX/X-2 HD remaster didn't do well because they didn't stack up to the DS remakes? Christ. Terrible comparison because they were remasters, not full blown remakes like the DS games, which is a much easier sell.

You're looking at sales without given them any sort of context. If Final Fantasy XV comes out, is actually a good game and still underperforms then I think we can conclude that yes, the franchise isn't in the best health, but right now you're really grasping at straws if you think sales of FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns and some remasters are an indictment on XV's sales potential. It just makes no sense to me.

I checked your posting history, nothing came up. Like I said before if there was such a conversation in these threads for super pessimist MGSV predictions I'd remember it.

All there is is this. Who are all these people with the <500k LTD?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=170880056#post170880056

There is a comment from on the page you linked saying 'less than Splatoon'. I agree, it's not a consensus opinion, but there are clearly some people who thought MGSV would debut lower than 500k.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There is a comment from on the page you linked saying 'less than Splatoon'. I agree, it's not a consensus opinion, but there are clearly some people who thought MGSV would debut lower than 500k.

That was the thread I was talking about.

Someone reads differently than what I do. That's exactly one person who wasn't aware there was a PS3 version in the end. There never was a widespread opinion for 500k LTD.

Now that we finished with this serious argument the blog gave PS4 hw hint.

edit: Wait a minute "debut lower than 500k"? Sure, who crazy would think of that.

There's no way PS4 having remotely close to 50% share for DQXI. Not even blind Sony fanboys believe this.

Yeah, if remakes have sold a million on average on 3DS we should expect XI to sell at least 2 million and there's no way the PS4 version is going to sell as much. It'll also be interesting to see when the two versions will be released because SQEX talked about a simultaneous release but plans might change.

Yeah, if remakes have sold a million on average on 3DS we should expect XI to sell at least 2 million and there's no way the PS4 version is going to sell as much. It'll also be interesting to see when the two versions will be released because SQEX talked about a simultaneous release but plans might change.

2.3m for the 3DS SKU, and I expect the PS4 SKU to come in at 400-500k. LTD it may push to around 750k but doubt much more than that. Given the fact that the install base whenever this releases will barely be north of 2m if that, then I think that's the best we can expect.

^^

About FF. Its hardly conclusive to say FF brand is in decline relative to the PS3 gen when the only games that have released are spin offs, remasters and an MMO even more so when the MMO is doing very well and FFXHD did very well. FF Type 0 HD also performing accordingly.

The biggest questions marks are when will FFXV release, what will the PS4 install base be at that time and will be received well.

I responded to users that said that expectations were the exact opposite, therefore a decline, which wasn´t really the case. please understand my friend. Also to be more precise, expectations surely weren´t as modest as the actual mediocre sub 20k units we ended up seeing for quite some time now.

I see you moving goalposts.

Alo0oy

Banned
Someone reads differently than what I do. That's exactly one person who wasn't aware there was a PS3 version in the end. There never was a widespread opinion for 500k LTD.

Now that we finished with this serious argument the blog gave PS4 hw hint.

edit: Wait a minute "debut lower than 500k"? Sure, who crazy would think of that.

I was referring to the hyperbolic posts about PS4 selling better than PS3 or the other way around with PS4 software, I never said everyone.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I was referring to the hyperbolic posts about PS4 selling better than PS3 or the other way around with PS4 software, I never said everyone.

Last time I respond because there isn't any point continuing this. I don't know what PS3 and PS4 has to do now with TPP and everyone ended up to be no one.

test_account

XP-39C²
Did the same people say both those things? I know bluedawgs registered less than a month ago, so it couldnt be him at least.

Darius

Banned
I have to agree that in the past few pages there were some really awkward predictions on the low and also the high side. Especially when it comes to SQEXs output it will highly depend on when their games are actually meant to launch, we have only a little to no idea in the matter. About Splatoon, January will be a very crucial moment for how eventual legs will be, but as of right now +1million seems to be on lock, something that almost no one really expected in the first place-

I see you moving goalposts.

More like you just misunderstood. Is it really that hard to admit?

Alo0oy

Banned
Last time I respond because there isn't any point continuing this. I don't know what PS3 and PS4 has to do now with TPP and everyone ended up to be no one.

My original post was about some people being hyperbolic about sales for both software and hardware on both sides, nothing more. TPP and PS4 are just recent examples.

Darius

Banned
My original post was about some people being hyperbolic about sales for both software and hardware on both sides, nothing more. TPP and PS4 are just recent examples.

You seem to have missed that after the poor performance of WiiU, there have been users that expected a rather quick surpassing of lifetime sales by PS4 also in Japan. But here we are almost two years later.

2.3m for the 3DS SKU, and I expect the PS4 SKU to come in at 400-500k. LTD it may push to around 750k but doubt much more than that. Given the fact that the install base whenever this releases will barely be north of 2m if that, then I think that's the best we can expect.

Are you talking about the PS4 install base ?
I mean i don't see DQXI coming anything soon so it should be more than that .

Eh, I'm sure if they gave it a big price cut it could get an extra 500k if not more sales than they were already going to get, which is a lot for Japan.

My understanding of the situation (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Right now Nintendo still has stock of Wii Us from 2 years ago, just sitting in a warehouse. Part of the reason why the Wii U is "making money" now is because the manufacturing cost of every unit being sold now was already written in previous financial results.

If Nintendo dropped the price, and by some act of God, actually managed to increase Wii U momentum, they'd be faced with two options.

1) Manufacture more stock to last them until the NX is ready for release.
2) Have no product to sell until the NX is ready for release.

Obviously, both of these options are going to cost them. The best option is (3) not drop the price and ride out sales until the NX. If they still have leftover stock when they have a new product ready for market, then they should drop the price, not sooner.

Are you talking about the PS4 install base ?
I mean i don't see DQXI coming anything soon so it should be more than that .

Yeah I don't expect the PS4 install base in Japan to be much higher than 2m, although that depends on when FFXV releases, and I guess, like you say, when DQXI itself actually releases. Either way I think setting an expectation of DQXI on PS4 at 400k-500k is reasonable, but I may even be low balling slightly.

I expect the 3DS version to debut at around 2-2.3m, if DQIX is any indication of things.

Edit: Just did a check and didn't realise PS4 was already at around the 1.7m mark. The install base might be pushing 3m by the time DQXI releases then, especially if we get a decent amount of content between now and whenever it comes out.

Yeah I don't expect the PS4 install base in Japan to be much higher than 2m, although that depends on when FFXV releases, and I guess, like you say, when DQXI itself actually releases. Either way I think setting an expectation of DQXI on PS4 at 400k-500k is reasonable, but I may even be low balling slightly.

I expect the 3DS version to debut at around 2-2.3m, if DQIX is any indication of things.

Edit: Just did a check and didn't realise PS4 was already at around the 1.7m mark. The install base might be pushing 3m by the time DQXI releases then, especially if we get a decent amount of content between now and whenever it comes out.

I was just about to tell you that PS4 will hit 2 million by year end but i see you check the numbers .
But yeah depending on when DQXI comes out PS4 could be 3 to 3.5 million .
Depending on if other software give it a okay push .

Bruno MB

Less than 2 hours left for this week's numbers.

Here my predictions:

PS4 Metal Gear Solid V - 311.000
PS3 Metal Gear Solid V - 190.000
3DS Dragon Quest VIII - 108.000

PS4 Hardware - 46.000

You seem to have missed that after the poor performance of WiiU, there have been users that expected a rather quick surpassing of lifetime sales by PS4 also in Japan. But here we are almost two years later.

Eh. There are always people from both camps. Yes there probably were quite few Sony fans that thought PS4 is going to kill it this year (without any clear reason) and overtake WiiU but there really was also people that thought that after stacked Q1 PS4 is going to fall to same sales slump as last year because of summer drought (doing 6k weekly). GAF is no hivemind.

Felessan

Yes, will be up YOY by LESS than 5%... what a legs.
Where this is come from? PS4 already up 10% YoY and last year include launch numbers.
To increase by less than 5% PS4 should sell 16.3k consoles on average for the rest of the year, and this would be down 22% from average of this year. (It's actually the same average amount as PS4 sold in summer)
Even without pricecut this is highly improbable.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Where this is come from? PS4 already up 10% YoY and last year include launch numbers.
To increase by less than 5% PS4 should sell 16.3k consoles on average for the rest of the year, and this would be down 22% from average of this year. (It's actually the same average amount as PS4 sold in summer)
Even without pricecut this is highly improbable.

WW shipments, not jp. :D

small44

Oh really? And where are the PlayStation legs this gen? Globally, the PS4 is down YOY in the total shipments as for June 30, it ship 5.7 million last year compared to the 5.4 million of this year.

A console like the Wii ( and many people say Wii has bad legs) has increase the total shipments by OVER 50% in the second year for the first 6 months of sales ( 6.08m VS 9.49m).. as for now PS4 has worse legs than the Wii.

The Wii had amazing first 4 years then it had a free fall Year over Year,it was selling even faster then PS2 in it's first years but due to ps2 leg the Wii felt behind it,PS3 had less sharp Year over Year drop too

So we're at the slap fight portion of the thread, before a new one comes along, where the only thing anyone can find to post about is trying to point out how much more correct one is than another nondescript unidentified GAF user that said something that turned out to be folly.

Good times.

kswiston

Wii's increases in 2008 were greatly helped by the fact that it had scarcity problems for most (all?) of 2007. Who knows what the 2007 numbers would have looked like if people could actually walk into a store and find the system in stock regularly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Less than 2 hours left for this week's numbers.

Here my predictions:

PS4 Metal Gear Solid V - 311.000
PS3 Metal Gear Solid V - 190.000
3DS Dragon Quest VIII - 108.000

PS4 Hardware - 46.000

Mine:
PS4 Metal Gear Solid V - 315.000
PS3 Metal Gear Solid V - 187.000
3DS Dragon Quest VIII - 98.000

PS4 Hardware - 62.000

So we're at the slap fight portion of the thread, before a new one comes along, where the only thing anyone can find to post about is trying to point out how much more correct one is than another nondescript unidentified GAF user that said something that turned out to be folly.

Good times.

typical MC last pages pre-new-topic discussions :p

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Mine:
PS4 Metal Gear Solid V - 315.000
PS3 Metal Gear Solid V - 187.000
3DS Dragon Quest VIII - 98.000

PS4 Hardware - 62.000

PS4 Metal Gear Solid V - 325.000
PS3 Metal Gear Solid V - 135.000
3DS Dragon Quest VIII - 100.000

PS4 Hardware - 55.000

This strikes me as a somewhat senseless debate. Granted some opinions are more likely than others(moderate ones often are safer) we really do not know enough at this point to speculate about the PS4s final point.

For one thing we do not know how its longterm trajectory will appear. It is up 300% on a weekly basis now, and it is perfectly possible it settles in the 30K+ a week range next year, the PSP after all peaked late in Japan and early in the West. We also have no idea how long it will last, something that in all probability has far more to do with what Microsoft does than anything Nintendo attempts, given the latter's current irrelevance outside Japan.

This leads into another issue. The elephant in the room on Media Crate threads is the NX. Despite having almost no confirmed information, and only rumors regarding a concept, there is enormous faith presented here not just in the system's power but in its success. That is possible for market reasons in Japan, but it worth noting that the speculation about scaling suggests a system far more complicated than anything a video-game company has succeeded in launching. Historically, complicated systems have a really poor record in the industry, and Japanese companies in particular have a history of being really bad at OS design and support. Compare the ease with which Microsoft added BC, with the evident technological hassles Sony has with a feature-lite PS4 OS, Nintendo's account systems, and dreadful Virtual Console support. Theoretically a well-executed NX might be a half-mobile port machine capable of scaling multiple design engines, but it also might be a mess, a handheld which offers crippled UE support(like Unity on the Vita), and another under-powered home console, which due to a divided userbase, gets the former Vita/PS3 supports but continues to lack all Western support.

We may get an idea in the next few weeks(and a hint of one in the next ten minutes) but we are really in the realm of speculation about where the PS4 will be ltd.

Good times.

just start handing out bans

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 54,494
New3DS LL 26,976
Vita 11,099
Wii U 10,232
New3DS 5,179
PS3 2,817
3DS 1,692
3DS LL 909
Vita TV 609
Xbox One 180

293k for MGS5 on PS4, 117k on PS3.

Famitsu: http://famitsu.com/biz/ranking

MGSV PS4: 315.288
MGSV PS3: 157.605
DQVIII: 117.844 / 733.495
AC HHD: 27.002 / 1.022.945
Splatoon: 16.074 / 656.454
YW Busters: 39.641 / 1.400.223

PS4: 54.720
3DS: 27.409+2.613
PSV: 10.403
WIU: 10.197
PS3: 2.360
X1: 120

3DS is holding nicely affter Summer. YW Busters is basically constant wrt previous week (YW fading :)?). Splatoon below 20k for the first time ever. MGSV debut at about 470k units, consistent with previous releases.

Top Bottom