• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

Cuddler

As I said, we don't know for sure which was the status of this rumored MHP3 for Vita. Could have jsut been the PSN title compatible with Vita, to be played with dual analog sticks.

That said, I still think that is absolutely legitimate to imagine Capcom to choose 3DS on their own for their most important Japan-centric brand.
I know that PSP was great for MH and Capcom, but with 3DS coming on the market before Vita, with the 3DS now able to "play" the game hardware-wise, with the DS setting records over records in Japan, considering how the portable market was/is strong over there, considering how MH is Japanese-centric, it make perfect sense.
Also because of the possibility to not totally upgrade the assets of the game itself, continuing for another generation (the 3DS one) with the same re-worked assets.

There is no evidence of a moneyhat by Nintendo, apart the incentives (like the Circle Pad Pro and a possible partnership about western distribution) already discussed.
And this will be even more clear when (and they will: the only console without MH was the DS for hardware limits) they'll spread the brand on all the consoles availables (of course with projects of different nature and importance)
I completely agree with you, I've never said that it wasn't legitimate, I've actually said that I agree with what Charlequin posted. What I was trying to say is that judging by that rumor (that obviously can be completely fake) both possibilities are possible. Not that is sure that there was a moneyhat. I think it's interesting (I don't think I'm the only one) to actually know what happened behind the scene (not only in this case, but a lot of case in the gaming industry in the past), but we will probably never really know what really happened unfortunately.

I've never said any of this. Even at Vita's launch, it was already a little too late for MHP3rd HD.
You were saying that capcom could've easily ported an MH game and with 4 the audience would know where the next mainline game would be. I told you that the risk of confusing the userbase would not be worth it and that I don't see why Vita owners want an MH port when it wouldn't push sales and you can already play the game on PSP and PS3. Not sure what you're denying that you said. Only thing I addressed to you was about you implying Capcom could release a minimum effort MH Vita port without consequences.
I'm always open to the possibilities of a third party game to "shift" platform.
As I said, this is the "weird" scenario, not so plausible at the moment.
Dragon Quest for the past 10 iterations has gone to the system that sells the most. It will never happen and will never go to Vita. Going to the PS3 would be more logical than Vita even those chances are slim. I think its fairly obvious DQ11 will be going to the 3DS as DQ9 on the DS was the highest selling game in the franchise.

Ports aren't going to save a dying system.

When you get to the point where your only real strategy is to gamble on an unforeseeable explosion, you know that the platform is truly screwed.

Takao

Banned
You were saying that capcom could've easily ported an MH game and with 4 the audience would know where the next mainline game would be. I told you that the risk of confusing the userbase would not be worth it and that I don't see why Vita owners want an MH port when it wouldn't push sales and you can already play the game on PSP and PS3. Not sure what you're denying that you said. Only thing I addressed to you was about you implying Capcom could release a minimum effort MH Vita port without consequences.

Tri G would have been released literally weeks after a potential Portable 3rd HD and choke out any potential that had to sell hardware. There would be no confusion for the brand because the next big entry (Portable 3rd HD isn't a big entry) would be on 3DS weeks later. I think the only people who wanted an MHP3rd HD for Vita were those in the west hoping for a localization of the game or something. It wouldn't have sold very well in Japan, and like Adam Jensen I never asked for this.

What Vita really needs is some title which everyone plays, and everyone plays together. It needs to be something that people will play and every other person simply has to be a part of. That's where the biggest handheld franchises (Pokemon, Monster Hunter) got the beginnings of their popularity from.

And, as weird as this seems in the West, it has to be local multiplayer.

BadWolf

What Vita really needs is some title which everyone plays, and everyone plays together. It needs to be something that peopl will play and every other person simply has to be a part of. That's where the biggest handheld franchises (Pokemon, Monster Hunter) got the beginnings of their popularity from.

And, as weird as this seems in the West, it has to be local multiplayer.

Sony has the answer to that in Soul Sacrifice, if it will be successful or not is another question.

Takao

Banned
Sony has the answer to that in Soul Sacrifice, if it will be successful or not is another question.

While it seems like even Monster Hunter could learn a thing or two from Soul Sacrifice, the fact of the matter is that it's a derivative and derivatives don't usually spark sensations.

Another scenario is a weird one, up to now:

3) Dragon Quest 11 Vita exclusive
But I think that this is hard to be foreseen (not impossible, of course. It's a third party brand so it could land everywhere)

This will happen
if Sony forks ~100 billion yen to get an extra 45-50% of SE and get majority share on the company
. Otherwise, no chance.

While it seems like even Monster Hunter could learn a thing or two from Soul Sacrifice, the fact of the matter is that it's a derivative and derivatives don't usually spark sensations.

Even is Soul Sacrifice is better than Monster Hunter, it still won't have the same weight (name) behind it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I completely agree with you, I've never said that it wasn't legitimate, I've actually said that I agree with what Charlequin posted. What I was trying to say is that judging by that rumor (that obviously can be completely fake) both possibilities are possible. Not that is sure that there was a moneyhat. I think it's interesting (I don't think I'm the only one) to actually know what happened behind the scene (not only in this case, but a lot of case in the gaming industry in the past), but we will probably never really know what really happened unfortunately.

I agree, it would be interesting! :)

No game alone can save the Vita, even DQ, I might say.

I think that DQ could, if exclusive. Probably only the Xbox360 could have seen just a temporary twist in its sales receiving a mainline DQ exclusive game.

Dragon Quest for the past 10 iterations has gone to the system that sells the most. It will never happen and will never go to Vita. Going to the PS3 would be more logical than Vita even those chances are slim. I think its fairly obvious DQ11 will be going to the 3DS as DQ9 on the DS was the highest selling game in the franchise.

Just to clarify, I agree with you. I was just saying that we cannot be 100% sure about third party titles. and that, if (IIIIF, but it will not happen) a mainline DQ exclusive title will come to Vita, it could be the "PSP-MH-like" turning point.

Just to clarify, I agree with you. I was just saying that we cannot be 100% sure about third party titles. and that, if (IIIIF, but it will not happen) a mainline DQ exclusive title will come to Vita, it could be the "PSP-MH-like" turning point.

It won't happen. Like the guy said, DQ only goes to the highest selling platform. The only way it happens is if Sony gets majority share of SE by spending over $1billion on it. Worth it? Not sure, they have spent that amount of money or close to it to get some other crap, so you never know. But I sincerely doubt it will happen.

Takao

Banned
It won't happen. Like the guy said, DQ only goes to the highest selling platform. The only way it happens is if Sony gets majority share of SE by spending over $1billion on it. Worth it? Not sure, they have spent that amount of money or close to it to get some other crap, so you never know. But I sincerely doubt it will happen.

Wii U has sold 0 units though.

wrowa

Well, DQX should be on as many platforms as possible. Best selling or otherwise.

It would be completely pointless, if they can't get cross-plattform play between all plattforms working. And I doubt that we'll see Wii U and PS3 (and maybe even 360) players on the same servers in any game ever.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DQXI on Vita ? lol....
Lets be realistic for a bit - Pokemon on Vita is more likely.

Tri G would have been released literally weeks after a potential Portable 3rd HD and choke out any potential that had to sell hardware. There would be no confusion for the brand because the next big entry (Portable 3rd HD isn't a big entry) would be on 3DS weeks later. I think the only people who wanted an MHP3rd HD for Vita were those in the west hoping for a localization of the game or something. It wouldn't have sold very well in Japan, and like Adam Jensen I never asked for this.
To clarify, I wasn't saying you want MHP3rd on Vita; I was speaking in general to those who have requested it. Also, while localization may have been a factor for a small portion. I'm more than sure a lot of the people port begging wasn't founded because of that. Not too mention if Capcom didn't localized MHP3rd/HD for PSP/PS3 they sure as hell weren't going to for Vita.

Anyway, I still disagree with your assertion. MHP3rd on Vita would've been pointless. It would've made a small amount of money at the risk of potentially damaging future entries sales. Capcom has never been smart in terms of brand management for the long term. However, nonsensical franchise whoring is poor brand management if they want a long term, high selling franchise like Pokemon and Dragon Quest, imo. Doesn't mean Capcom wouldn't do it as they have in the past but from a brand management perspective, I see little to gain from a Vita port.

test_account

XP-39C²
Even is Soul Sacrifice is better than Monster Hunter, it still won't have the same weight (name) behind it.
Not only that, but the setting (dark lore) in Soul Sacrifice has a more limited appeal compared to Monster Hunter. Nothing wrong with that gaming wise, but sales wise it will be limited in comparison to Monster Hunter.

No one would bet for a PS4 marketleadership over WiiU in Japan, so it´s reasonable to make such a decision beforehand.
Too early to say much about that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I agree, but I also think if you had to bet on it right now, Wii U would be the much safer bet. A year headstart when the previous platform already sold significantly more than its competition is usually a formula for success. The launch window lineup pretty much guarantees a very good start IMO.

It would be completely pointless, if they can't get cross-plattform play between all plattforms working. And I doubt that we'll see Wii U and PS3 (and maybe even 360) players on the same servers in any game ever.

This is the reason the game is going to Wii U. The Wii was on its last legs and they had already put all that development time into the Wii version to just wait another couple of years. Also Dragon Quest X should not be compared to any other game in the series in terms of platform choice. 3DS is obviously being setup for the Dragon Quest series so the trend will continue.

Edit: I don't see any real way the PS4 will outsell the Wii U in Japan to be honest. Consoles are dying in Japan and Nintendo has the much more appealing lineup of IPs to sell a console with. Not to mention a year+ headstart. Of course it's not like it means much. Wii U could sell 10 million and PS4 could sell 5 with the way that market is headed. It's kind of a meaningless victory.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Would be the first time Nintendo loosing after launching their console before the competition - doubt that it`ll happen this time. But who knows was Sony is cooking and what they can secure....

Takao

Banned

Like I said, "as possible". I'd imagine PC would be a possible platform for DQX.

Also before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not port begging for that game. Despite the avatar being a Toriyama creation I'm not a fan of Dragon Quest.

Like I said, "as possible". I'd imagine PC would be a possible platform for DQX.

Also before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not port begging for that game. Despite the avatar being a Toriyama creation I'm not a fan of Dragon Quest.

If the game isn't coming to the west PC wouldn't be a great platform for it in Japan.

Takao

Banned
If the game isn't coming to the west PC wouldn't be a great platform for it in Japan.

This isn't really related, but Dragon Ball Online still hasn't been released in Japan. I don't know why. Toriyama collaborated heavily on the project, and it's Free 2 Play too.

test_account

XP-39C²
I agree, but I also think if you had to bet on it right now, Wii U would be the much safer bet. A year headstart when the previous platform already sold significantly more than its competition is usually a formula for success. The launch window lineup pretty much guarantees a very good start IMO.
It could be, but it is hard to say since we know nothing about the PS4/Xbox 720. Price, features, easy/hard to work with, etc.. Depends on how the market will respond to it (any system), that will have a lot more to say than a head start in my opinion.

The Wii U has about a year where the only console competitor is the fading PS3. It will be the console market leader when the PS4 arrives by default.
It terms of units sold, sure, but i understood his point being more about that the WiiU would get most support.

Takao

Banned
This isn't really related, but Dragon Ball Online still hasn't been released in Japan. I don't know why. Toriyama collaborated heavily on the project, and it's Free 2 Play too.

Expanding on this thought. 2012 appears to be the very first year in many where there will be no Dragon Ball video games released in Japan. Namco Bandai did not announce a Japanese release for DBZ for Kinect (shocking news), or the Budokai HD Collection and Heroes Ultimate Mission is 2013.

Laguna

Banned

True that it´s early but it seems to be a sure bet. Honestly I would even bet money if possible. With what kind of lineup would Sony even try to counter WiiU? SQEX will be busy for atleast 2 years (FF13 and Versus) so even a hypothetical exclusive (not likely) FFXV won´t be ready before 2015, this would be 3 years from now. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be a nice seller but the priority right now is Versus. A new MGS likely won´t be out before 2015 as well because they are busy with Ground Zeroes right now. We also know that Sonys only still relevant own franchise is GT but I doubt this will be enough.

@metalslimer
I don´t think that´s the case, I can see a with Japanese-centric games supported market-leader selling 15m+ in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
True that it´s early but it seems to be a sure bet. Honestly I would even bet money if possible. With what kind of lineup would Sony even try to counter WiiU? SQEX will be busy for atleast 2 years (FF13 and Versus) so even a hypothetical exclusive (not likely) FFXV won´t be ready before 2015, this would be 3 years from now. Kingdom Hearts 3 would be a nice seller but the priority right now is Versus. A new MGS likely won´t be out before 2015 as well because they are busy with Ground Zeroes right now. We also know that Sonys only still relevant own franchise is GT but I doubt this will be enough.
I have no idea. I dont know how the 3rd parties makes the business decitions around the next generation systems. I think it is hard to make a guess because we only know what WiiU offers.

donny2112

@metalslimer
I don´t think that´s the case, I can see a with Japanese-centric games supported market-leader selling 15m+ in Japan.

Yeah, was thinking 15-20m was still reasonable for consoles to shoot for in Japan. It's currently handheld dominated because there hasn't been a really good console option for consumers this gen in Japan. It's a case of "Correlation does not imply causation" fallacy.
"cum hoc ergo propter hoc", cause Latin sounds cool. :p
Consoles went down last gen and handhelds went up last gen, but that does not necessarily mean that consoles will continue in a downward trend.

Laguna

Banned
I have no idea. I dont know how the 3rd parties makes the business decitions around the next generation systems. I think it is hard to make a guess because we only know what WiiU offers.

We don´t know but can try doing some educated guesses.

The biggest not occupied franchises are the four mentioned earlier:
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
MGS
and Sonys GT

At least two of those will take their time and likely won´t be out before 2015.

Then there are the good selling ones for example:
Yakuza
Tales of
PES (likely multi)
and Sonys Minna no Golf

muu

DQ is the kind of game that everyone that has the console buys. They won't go out of their way to buy the console for the game. You buy Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games, you buy DQ because you happened to have a Wii/DS/PS2/whatever. Can't really see this trend changing.

if we lived in a dreamworld they'd probably do better to moneyhat FF15 for vita.

Laguna

Banned
Yeah, was thinking 15-20m was still reasonable for consoles to shoot for in Japan. It's currently handheld dominated because there hasn't been a really good console option for consumers this gen in Japan. It's a case of "Correlation does not imply causation" fallacy.
"cum hoc ergo propter hoc", cause Latin sounds cool. :p
Consoles went down last gen and handhelds went up last gen, but that does not necessarily mean that consoles will continue in a downward trend.

This console gen suffered alot mainly for two reasons, handhelds rising popularity and a console gen with a marketleader with an unprecedent abysmal Japanese 3rd party support.

We don´t know but can try doing some educated guesses.

The biggest not occupied franchises are the four mentioned earlier:
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
MGS
and Sonys GT

At least two of those will take their time and likely won´t be out before 2015.

Then there are the good selling ones for example:
Yakuza
Tales of
PES (likely multi)
and Sonys Minna no Golf
Is Minna no Golf Sonys? I thought one launched with the Wii. Anyway, yeah 3 of those 4 major franchises won't be out for awhile. It'll be another PS3 situation where the major franchises don't hit until much later. I think Tales will stay with Sony because the fanbase is there but with Namco codeveloping SSB perhaps they can get somethings.

extralite

Actually didn't SE state the reason for FF14 not going to 360 was that MS wouldn't allow cross-platform server compatibility with the other versions (or something to that effect)? I'd assume if (big if) FFXIV ever comes to Wii U it'd be possible to play with PS3 owners. Same for a possible 360 or 720 version.

As for DQX, I don't see it going anywhere but Wii (U) for the foreseeable future. But with the 10 years of planned support it's hard to tell what platforms it will also go to eventually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No game alone can save the Vita, even DQ, I might say.

Well, when people say "save the platform" I usually feel they mean "build a user base that will attract other developers of similar games to make titles on the platform as well".

Like the PSP ended up with a bunch of four player co-op games after Monster Hunter took off, so people who wanted more than Monster Hunter in the genre could get it.

By a similar token, games like Crisis Core helped establish an audience for middle to older teenager focused JRPGs.

The Vita on the other hand really has nothing building much of an audience for anything, and the longer that goes on, the less anyone would want to go to the platform instead of going to the platforms that already have their target audience.

Hero

I think after this holiday season it will be extremely hard for publishers to be convinced to release a game exclusively on the Vita.

If any game is going to turn the situation around it needs to be already in development and be released relatively soon. Maybe TGS has some hope for the system.

FoneBone

I think after this holiday season it will be extremely hard for publishers to be convinced to release a game exclusively on the Vita.

If any game is going to turn the situation around it needs to be already in development and be released relatively soon. Maybe TGS has some hope for the system.

TGS is literally the last hope for the system, because I think it's the last major opportunity to announce games greenlit before the system launched. And I can't imagine anything big having been greenlit post-launch, given the sales.

Top Bottom