• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

test_account

XP-39C²
We don´t know but can try doing some educated guesses.

The biggest not occupied franchises are the four mentioned earlier:
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
MGS
and Sonys GT

At least two of those will take their time and likely won´t be out before 2015.

Then there are the good selling ones for example:
Yakuza
Tales of
PES (likely multi)
and Sonys Minna no Golf
Adding the Musou games, are there anything left of bigger sellers except of these franchises from 3rd parties? Dragon Quest too, but nothing is announced regarding DQ11. Anything else?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Aaaaah. Like last year.
Western bundles / limited editions, here we come!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Since they are "many small surprises" there are no real megatons correct? Don't wanna get the hopes up too high

If you expect DQVII you'll keep waiting. Since time is approaching there is supposed to be a new Nintendo IP revealing and launching this year.

Daschysta

Well, I think that Nintendo had the chance to announce titles related to their console in the latest "Direct galore" (both 3DS one and Wii U one), so I think that we'll have to wait a little bit for further announcements related to those consoles.
I mean: why letting "important" titles outside those presentations?
Probably just for a matter of timings. So, probably we'll have to wait a little bit for the next bunch of relevant Nintendo-related titles

Nintendo only presented games within the Launch window for the most part. Any game planning to be released post March 2013 is fair game, 3rd parties are free to announce such projects.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am fairly surprised that the only companion game to DQ X was a weak anniversary collection. It seems like they are saving VII and VIIIr for DQ XI on Vita 3DS.

sinobi said:
「遊戯王」と並ぶカードゲームの雄、「ヴァンガード」が3DSでゲーム化です。「カードファイト!! ヴァンガード ライド トゥ ビクトリー」2013年発売。

Something about a card game for 3DS, possibly Yugioh? Anyone want to clarify?

Takao

Banned
Something about a card game for 3DS, possibly Yugioh? Anyone want to clarify?

It's Card Fight Vanguard. A series started by the combat designer behind Duel Masters, and the artist behind Yu-Gi-Oh! R. There's a TV anime (and maybe even a live action drama? I'm not certain on the last part) but the ratings aren't good, cards are pretty popular though.

It's Card Fight Vanguard. A series started by the combat designer behind Duel Masters, and the artist behind Yu-Gi-Oh! R. There's a TV anime (and maybe even a live action drama? I'm not certain on the last part) but the ratings aren't good, cards are pretty popular though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardfight!!_Vanguard

WOW, I keep seeing ads for this on what YouTube, and such? Wonder if it's yet ANOTHER Bandai Namco game, they're killing it with licensed games.

Many thanks. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, I was having a sales-age discussion about TGS with some other mods and we stumbled upon an honest question, so I'm curious if we missed anything. Since I'm also curious to see what comes to people's minds, I won't list what we came up with so far.

Question: What Japanese developed third party games for the 3DS are likely to sell over 200K? You can include games releasing at any time in the future, as long as they are Japanese developed, announced, and third party.

Professor Layton 6
AA5
Professor Layton x Phoenix Wright
Mon Hun 4
Bravely Default

Immediately off the top of my head, but there's definitely more.

Alrus

Inazuma eleven Go 2 will also sell over 200k but that was a pretty obvious one. The collection won't sell that good.
I don't really know if there's any interest in Fantasy Life, I think it could do decently but it's releasing so close to Animal Crossing that it probably won't reach its potential.

Also
Animal crossing
Tomodatchi collection

Not third party.

Ace Attorney 5
Layton 6
Layton vs. AA
Monster Hunter 4
Inazuma Eleven Go 2

Off the top of my head. There are a couple other games (Bravely, SMT4, PXZ, Fantasy Life etc.) that might make it, too, but it's not guaranteed.

So, I was having a sales-age discussion about TGS with some other mods and we stumbled upon an honest question, so I'm curious if we missed anything. Since I'm also curious to see what comes to people's minds, I won't list what we came up with so far.

Question: What Japanese developed third party games for the 3DS are likely to sell over 200K? You can include games releasing at any time in the future, as long as they are Japanese developed, announced, and third party.

Possibly project x zone

Can you think of any others? It's the less obvious ones we're rather curious about, since list size is actually a major goal here.

Thinking a bit more, Inazuma and SMT4 will probably do it too.

Project X Zone doesn't count, does it? It's developed by Monolith Soft.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Thinking a bit more, Inazuma and SMT4 will probably do it too.

Project X Zone doesn't count, does it? It's developed by Monolith Soft.

Doesn't matter who's making it, the publisher is Bandai-Namco so it'll be at TGS.

Both it and Bravely Default will be lucky to reach 200k though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for the answers so far.

Also, does Nintendo have a 3DS conference coming up soon?

It just feels a tad short for the hands down generation winning platform in the region. Obviously Capcom and Level 5 seem quite strong on the platform, but Namco, Sega, and Square Enix are kind of unusually dead, and Konami and Tecmo Koei don't seem to be taking great advantage of the opening.

This mainly came up since the TGS Famitsu issue is out (and all the lead up ones) and there wasn't exactly a flood of announcements for like... any platform sans GREE.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

It just feels a tad short for the hands down generation winning platform in the region. Obviously Capcom and Level 5 seem quite strong on the platform, but Namco, Sega, and Square Enix are kind of unusually dead, and Konami and Tecmo Koei don't seem to be taking great advantage of the opening.

This mainly came up since the TGS Famitsu issue is out (and all the lead up ones) and there wasn't exactly a flood of announcements for like... any platform sans GREE.

They had a Nintendo Direct for it a few days before the Wii U stuff and could have another before the end of the year, but yes it is a bit disappointing that there was no Nintendo Conference so that they could showcase 3DS titles for 2013 as well. NCL seems to want to do everything with Nintendo Direct for showing things just a few months ahead right now though.

donny2112

Capcom:
MH4
AA5
PL vs. AA

Namco-Bandai:
Project x Zone (maybe; not sure, but lots of fanbases involved)

Square-Enix:
-

Konami:
:lol

SEGA:
"We've stopped releasing retail games."

Koei-Tecmo:
-

Edit:
Forgot IEGo2 and PL6.

This mainly came up since the TGS Famitsu issue is out (and all the lead up ones) and there weren't exactly a flood of announcements for like... any platform sans GREE.

Well, Chris has been hinting at a new Nintendo IP to be revealed and released by the end of the year for 3DS, so there's plainly going to be a platform for new announcements at some point. Maybe a post-TGS conference this year, to allow the dust from the Wii U Nintendo Direct to settle?

There might also be games that no one would say they will reach an important milestone, like Run for Money by Namco Bandai, which may well sell over 200k at this point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There might also be games that no one would say they will reach an important milestone, like Run for Money by Namco Bandai, which may well sell over 200k at this point.

I think things can definitely out perform, but the main reason I phrased the question like this is that I don't think Namco ever made the game with the intention of selling 200K in mind.

I felt picking that number was a nice line for the "bigger brands" or bigger new IPs a company can dedicate to a platform.

Of course, I don't think the fundamental issue is with the 3DS here so much as the publishers. I'm using the 3DS since it's just the major winner going forward in the market, and thus should be the most shining example of how Japanese third parties are handling targeting their own market.

I think things can definitely out perform, but the main reason I phrased the question like this is that I don't think Namco ever made the game with the intention of selling 200K in mind.

I felt picking that number was a nice line for the "bigger brands" or bigger new IPs a company can dedicate to a platform.

Of course, I don't think the fundamental issue is with the 3DS here so much as the publishers. I'm using the 3DS since it's just the major winner going forward in the market, and thus should be the most shining example of how Japanese third parties are handling targeting their own market.

3DS also already had some important IP, like KH, DQ, RE, DW and Tales of. Surely, it needs more proper support, like a new brand Tales of or a DQ remake.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think that's all the announced ones.

There are a couple of released games that could limp there like Rune Factory 4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
3DS also already had some important IP, like KH, DQ, RE, DW and Tales of. Surely, it needs more proper support, like a new brand Tales of or a DQ remake.

Yeah I feel it definitely had strong brands out the gate.

I just think now is an interesting time period since it most likely reflects the final market position of the handhelds and a period where publishers are making more decisions about what their target audiences on the platform are going forward, whereas a launch period tends to get a bit more of everything.

Like, to follow up on Chris' example, Sega had 3DS games, but is basically exiting out of the retail business, though I'm not expecting many more Japanese publishers to try and follow that route especially soon, since a fair amount of the market shake-up has already happened as far as handhelds are concerned.

Unannounced so yes doesn't count, but the inevitable 3ds version of the little battlers sequel I could see doing 200k, certainly a better shot at that number than the psp or vita versions

Erethian

So Vita has got a new game announcement in God Eater 2, albeit for 2013 and it's also going to be on the PSP. It also brings it closer to the release of MH4, which can't be a good thing.

With the lack of Famitsu news a surprise reveal at TGS seems the last chance for a notable Vita game announcement, that will be released for the 2012 holidays.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So Vita has got a new game announcement in God Eater 2, albeit for 2013 and it's also going to be on the PSP. It also brings it closer to the release of MH4, which can't be a good thing.

With the lack of Famitsu news a surprise reveal at TGS seems the last chance for a notable Vita game announcement, that will be released for the 2012 holidays.

Sony's conference is in 4 hours I think. If there is nothing major announced at that then I think we can put a nail in the coffin of Vita's 2012 holiday lineup.

Erethian

Sony's conference is in 4 hours I think. If there is nothing major announced at that then I think we can put a nail in the coffin of Vita's 2012 holiday lineup.

Yeah, saw that. I want to assume that there's something relatively big lined up, but at least as far as third-party announcements go Famitsu has always been a good guide on what's going to be shown at the show. We got the MH3G announcement that way. Admittedly MH4 was held back until the actual event (not TGS in this case, but Nintendo's 2011 pre-TGS press conference), but at that point it was in the early design stages.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm pretty sure Sony will give Soul Sacrificer a release data, maybe Dec 2012.

I'm expecting:

-Soul Sacrifice release date
-Yaiba announcement for Vita
-God Eater 2 footage on Vita
-Not much else

I might be too optimistic!

Erethian

I'm expecting:

-Soul Sacrifice release date
-Yaiba announcement for Vita
-God Eater 2 footage on Vita
-Not much else

I might be too optimistic!

If we see them spending time on games that have already been released, or non-gaming functionality, I think we can start ringing the warning bell.

muu

Trying to remember what was announced in Famitsu last year the week of TGS. I believe the Vita 'surprise' was FF10, which... wasn't in the issue? Only thing I remember for certain was that they got duped into thinking they got hold of a megaton w/ MH3G when it was in effect a cover-up to keep MH4 from leaking out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm hoping for a release timeframe for PSO2 Vita, the only game I even half care about for Vita that wasn't made in the 90's!

Yeah I feel it definitely had strong brands out the gate.

I just think now is an interesting time period since it most likely reflects the final market position of the handhelds and a period where publishers are making more decisions about what their target audiences on the platform are going forward, whereas a launch period tends to get a bit more of everything.

Like, to follow up on Chris' example, Sega had 3DS games, but is basically exiting out of the retail business, though I'm not expecting many more Japanese publishers to try and follow that route especially soon, since a fair amount of the market shake-up has already happened as far as handhelds are concerned.
3ds 3rd party lineup looks underwhelming especially compared to the DS 3rd party lineup which had a good amount of different and new titles. Many new ips , revivals, remakes and spin offs. I think the huge thing is that japanese developers are spread to thin. S-E is tied up in development with Versus, DQX, FF13-3, and FF14. L5 has seen severe decline in its franchises. Segas already been said. Konamis busy greenlighting more MGS titles.

Top Bottom