• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2012 (Sep 03 - Sep 09)

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, I mean combined. And it's the all-caps SONY that does it mostly in my view.
I understand. I dont see all-caps SONY spelled often, although when i think about it, i actually think mostly about graf_chokolo. He was one of the earlier PS3 hackers who apparently got sued by Sony, still he kept on using all-caps SONY :) It is the "official" spelling i guess, at least going by their logo.

Speaking of which, I wonder how recent turmoil going on in China may affect Nintendo's scheduling.
Yeah, that too. I hope this situation doesnt last for very long.

I don't feel this is especially hard to notice. I mean, even follow their marketing plans. Resident Evil 5 and 6 were big third person shooters, so they were primarily marketed on the Xbox 360, while Dragon's Dogma was a singleplayer, Monster Hunter-ish game that they felt would do better in Japan, so they marketed it heavily on PS3. Did they chase after incentives while doing this? Definitely, but I feel the platform choices were made before they went hunting for the incentives.

Right. This came up all the time with Monster Hunter. People would be like "man those moneyhats must've been huge" but in reality it just made more sense to move the series to 3DS than to Vita. I'm sure that Capcom tried to negotiate the best deal they could from that point, but by the time they sat down with Nintendo the issue was prettymuch already settled.

Dalthien

Right. This came up all the time with Monster Hunter. People would be like "man those moneyhats must've been huge" but in reality it just made more sense to move the series to 3DS than to Vita. I'm sure that Capcom tried to negotiate the best deal they could from that point, but by the time they sat down with Nintendo the issue was prettymuch already settled.

charlequin's back! Dude's been missing from these threads forever. Welcome back!

I think Monster Hunter is pretty much done with PlayStation other than a possible port of Frontier. Capcom just doesn't like SONY in the first place. They've been trying to get rid of PS since PS2 time.

Thats a very juvenile logic/thinking.

It has got more to do with business than it has to do with a personal anti-sony agenda.

I sincerely hope its just my sarcasm detector being broken, and somewhere in this lies a joke.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Any last-minute announcement in the next Famitsu?
I wonder where DQVII ended up...

Well, I think that Nintendo had the chance to announce titles related to their console in the latest "Direct galore" (both 3DS one and Wii U one), so I think that we'll have to wait a little bit for further announcements related to those consoles.
I mean: why letting "important" titles outside those presentations?
Probably just for a matter of timings. So, probably we'll have to wait a little bit for the next bunch of relevant Nintendo-related titles

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Last Nintendo Direct was only for Wii U. The announcements for 3DS will be later this year (and maybe more details for Wii U launch).

Since NoE (and I guess NoA) will have "hands on" events for Wii U it would be weird if Japan didn't follow.

Well, I think that Nintendo had the chance to announce titles related to their console in the latest "Direct galore" (both 3DS one and Wii U one), so I think that we'll have to wait a little bit for further announcements related to those consoles.
I mean: why letting "important" titles outside those presentations?
Probably just for a matter of timings. So, probably we'll have to wait a little bit for the next bunch of relevant Nintendo-related titles

Well, last year Dragon Quest Monsters was announced at the end of the TGS, and it was not present few days before in Nintendo Conference at all.

Thats a very juvenile logic/thinking.

It has got more to do with business than it has to do with a personal anti-sony agenda.

I sincerely hope its just my sarcasm detector being broken, and somewhere in this lies a joke.

Like Road said people seem to think the gaming business is like high school cliques where every publisher makes decisions out of spite going against their bottom line. It made sense to put it on 3DS and has everyone has pointed out (no matter what charlie says) splitting the portable userbase is a terrible idea. And no once again a generation jump is not the same thing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
About possible Nintendo announcments, we'll see.
About capcom hating Sony.. I think that's just ridiculous.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Last Nintendo Direct was only for Wii U. The announcements for 3DS will be later this year (and maybe more details for Wii U launch).

Since NoE (and I guess NoA) will have "hands on" events for Wii U it would be weird if Japan didn't follow.

October Nintendo Direct, I guess.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
"We have info for many small surprises. Just wait ... After the situation from Wii U announcements calms down a bit we will announce things for the portable.

We will have very interesting Christmas."

I'm still wondering where the Best edition of MH3G is. I was expecting that to release to give 3G another boost and keep selling til 4.

They already have Pokémon, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing... What could be announced in such a small amount of time?

Mystery Dungeon was already announced a couple of days ago. A couple of games like that is certainly a possibility.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If they have anything else it'll probably be for December at this point, though I thought Pokemon would be the last thing revealed for 3DS release in 2012.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Or maybe the surprises are just announcements for the first months of 2013.

They already have Pokémon, Paper Mario and Animal Crossing... What could be announced in such a small amount of time?
The time frame's not a massive issue; it was only about this time last year that Tri G was revealed, after all.

I could well see a couple of medium sellers for the holiday announced in the next month or so.

Cuddler

I agree with you, but I think it's not what really happened, if you see the rumor list of last year TGS, you see that MHP3HD was a launch game for the Vita. I'm pretty sure that the game was already playable on Vita but then we haven't seen the game at all. I don't see what is the problem in saying that there was a moneyhat, there's nothing wrong with it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I agree with you, but I think it's not what really happened, if you see the rumor list of last year TGS, you see that MHP3HD was a launch game for the Vita. I'm pretty sure that the game was already playable on Vita but then we haven't seen the game at all. I don't see what is the problem in saying that there was a moneyhat, there's nothing wrong with it.

Well, first of all that was a rumor. Second, Capcom could have decided that it would be more important to keep the fanbase focused on just one console, until they'll have released every actual new game on that platform.

But most of all I think that talking "necessarily" of monehyhat about any big third party game on Nintendo platform (as for MH or DQ in the past) is something that leads to the idea that no third party could see in a Nintendo platform the ideal environment for their important projects. And, speaking about portable gaming and heavily Japan-centric brands, I think that it's not true at all.

Takao

Banned
Well, first of all that was a rumor. Second, Capcom could have decided that it would be more important to keep the fanbase focused on just one console, until they'll have released every actual new game on that platform.

It was the only pre-TGS 2011 rumor that didn't come true. Well, except the Bayonetta movie I guess ...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
What is the most plausible Vita title that could be announced in the next few days that could have any real sales impact this holiday?

The one title that comes to mind is a God Eater 2 port, but obviously you have the PSP version to consider.

saichi

What is the most plausible Vita title that could be announced in the next few days that could have any real sales impact this holiday?

The one title that comes to mind is a God Eater 2 port, but obviously you have the PSP version to consider.

Yakuza VITA? considering Sega released Miku on Vita.

Takao

Banned
Yakuza VITA? considering Sega released Miku on Vita.

There's already 2 other Yakuza releases scheduled for 2012. If there's any Yakuza for Vita in 2012 it'll be an HD Collection port of 1&2 or a Black Panther collection.

or yakuza kenzan portable
believe

Realistically? None.

Unrealistically, I can name a whole bunch of titles :p

Takao

Banned
Yes, but I don't think that this change my previous statement, does it?

The comment regarding Capcom wanting to make sure focus is on one platform? You do realize they released a PSP spinoff that easily could've been an eShop game this year, right? MHP3rd HD for Vita would've been even less work than that, and with the announcement of TriG and 4 even its' existence wouldn't be able to deny where the franchise would going.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to port GE2 to the 3DS where the new MH fanbase is?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The comment regarding Capcom wanting to make sure focus is on one platform? You do realize they released a PSP spinoff that easily could've been an eShop game this year, right? MHP3rd HD for Vita would've been even less work than that, and with the announcement of TriG and 4 even its' existence wouldn't be able to deny where the franchise would going.

If the game wasn't important, we can think that they simply decided to drop it.
If the game was important, we can imagine that they decided to not move the attention from the 3DS.
I still think that it's more then plausible for a third party in Japan on handhelds to see 3DS as a viable environment for their products, without moneyhat by Nintendo.

Why does it matter at this point? I really don't get why some people get up in arms debating about an HD port for vita. Capcom doesn't want to risk confusing the MH base by porting a game to the Vita. Especially when the return likely wouldn't be worth it. I'm not sure why Vita owners really want it or think it could save the system given that MHP3rd HD is already available for PS3.

FoneBone

The gist of it is, MH is simply too big to moneyhat. Not to say Nintendo hasn't given incentives (Circle Pad Pro, Western support), but with a franchise that large, they're not going to make platform decisions that they wouldn't deem to be in the best interest of the franchise regardless.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I think that the possible scenario for a re-launch are two:

1) a brand new phenomena (such as a new IP that set new trends), but this is unpredictable
2) the announcement of Vita exclusive episodes of PSP very established franchises

Scenario 1 as said is unpredictable, so let's talk about scenario 2: we know that MH was the strongest franchise on PSP; up to now it seems very Nintendo-related so it could be hard to see it coming (now) on Vita; Phantasy Star was another great franchise, and we know that it's coming in 2013 (its online nature could affect it negatively); Final fantasy is coming with the HD edition of the tenth episode, but we could see also other announcments under this brand imho; Metal Gear Solid seems to be PS36o oriented up to now both with Rising and Ground Zero so I don't know if we'll see an exclusive important episode on Vita soon; Yakuza is arriving already with 2 other releases scheduled for 2012 so we should wait a little bit probably to see it coming to Vita. God eater 2 ic soming officially on PSP and also if I think that there will be also a Vita version, I doubt that it could do so good on Vita right now. Other crucial brands I'm forgetting?

Another scenario is a weird one, up to now:

3) Dragon Quest 11 Vita exclusive
But I think that this is hard to be foreseen (not impossible, of course. It's a third party brand so it could land everywhere)

Takao

Banned
Why does it matter at this point? I really don't get why some people get up in arms debating about an HD port for vita. Capcom doesn't want to risk confusing the MH base by porting a game to the Vita. Especially when the return likely wouldn't be worth it. I'm not sure why Vita owners really want it or think it could save the system given that MHP3rd HD is already available for PS3.

I've never said any of this. Even at Vita's launch, it was already a little too late for MHP3rd HD.

FoneBone

Another scenario is a weird one, up to now:

3) Dragon Quest 11 Vita exclusive
But I think that this is hard to be foreseen (not impossible, of course. It's a third party brand so it could land everywhere)

"Up to now"? This is even less plausible than it was a year ago.

Cuddler

But most of all I think that talking "necessarily" of monehyhat about any big third party game on Nintendo platform (as for MH or DQ in the past) is something that leads to the idea that no third party could see in a Nintendo platform the ideal environment for their important projects. And, speaking about portable gaming and heavily Japan-centric brands, I think that it's not true at all.
This doesn't make sense to me, obviously if you are the higher seller platform of the generation you don't need many moneyhat, if nothing strange happen, like with the Wii. But with both the Wii and the DS Nintendo didn't actually killed the PS3 or the PSP like is doing with the Vita. In the past generations it was different because the distant was so big with the other console (Probably the 3DS can repeat that). However the third party situation of the DS was really different than the Wii one. DS got a lot of exclusive and so is the 3DS obviously. Even more in the future judging by the Vita numbers. If you think about it before the 3DS and Vita come out, a developers can actually choose both of them watching the success of both DS and PSP. With the Wii U is a little different because Wii wasn't really as succesfull as the DS, for a lot of reason, not only Nintendo related, and the PS3 is still there.
Yes, but I don't think that this change my previous statement, does it?
It's seems strange to me that Capcom spent money on porting the game to Vita and after the game is playable decide that it want to keep the fanbase focused.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
"Up to now"? This is even less plausible than it was a year ago.

I'm always open to the possibilities of a third party game to "shift" platform.
As I said, this is the "weird" scenario, not so plausible at the moment.

This doesn't make sense to me, obviously if you are the higher seller platform of the generation you don't need many moneyhat, if nothing strange happen, like with the Wii. But with both the Wii and the DS Nintendo didn't actually killed the PS3 or the PSP like is doing with the Vita. In the past generations it was different because the distant was so big with the other console (Probably the 3DS can repeat that). However the third party situation of the DS was really different than the Wii one. DS got a lot of exclusive and so is the 3DS obviously. Even more in the future judging by the Vita numbers. If you think about it before the 3DS and Vita come out, a developers can actually choose both of them watching the success of both DS and PSP. With the Wii U is a little different because Wii wasn't really as succesfull as the DS, for a lot of reason, not only Nintendo related, and the PS3 is still there.

It's seems strange to me that Capcom spent money on porting the game to Vita and after the game is playable decide that it want to keep the fanbase focused.

As I said, we don't know for sure which was the status of this rumored MHP3 for Vita. Could have jsut been the PSN title compatible with Vita, to be played with dual analog sticks.

That said, I still think that is absolutely legitimate to imagine Capcom to choose 3DS on their own for their most important Japan-centric brand.
I know that PSP was great for MH and Capcom, but with 3DS coming on the market before Vita, with the 3DS now able to "play" the game hardware-wise, with the DS setting records over records in Japan, considering how the portable market was/is strong over there, considering how MH is Japanese-centric, it make perfect sense.
Also because of the possibility to not totally upgrade the assets of the game itself, continuing for another generation (the 3DS one) with the same re-worked assets.

There is no evidence of a moneyhat by Nintendo, apart the incentives (like the Circle Pad Pro and a possible partnership about western distribution) already discussed.
And this will be even more clear when (and they will: the only console without MH was the DS for hardware limits) they'll spread the brand on all the consoles availables (of course with projects of different nature and importance)

tuffy

I think that the possible scenario for a re-launch are two:

1) a brand new phenomena (such as a new IP that set new trends), but this is unpredictable
2) the announcement of Vita exclusive episodes of PSP very established franchises

It's not enough to land a title that people will play through once - even a big title like a Final Fantasy remake. What it needs is a title with some network effect that will keep people playing it with friends, like a Pokémon or a Mario Kart, in order to keep those systems from going back to the store right away. But it's hard to envision any current title that'll fill that need, so a new IP seems like the best bet for any sort of platform revitalization.

Top Bottom