• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

L~A

A lot more. Marketing is being quite interesting, and games as Dragon Ball or Kirby gonna be good to see alongside.

Oh right, there's Dragon Ball Fusions too. 2DS launch should be good, but I'm expecting sales to drop hard the following week.

By the way... Nintendo 3DS - Road to 22m LTD:

LTD: 21 142 988 units
Units left: 857 012 units
Weeks left: 16 weeks
Average: 53 563 units/week to reach goal

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so next week is the week the PS4 surpasses the Wii U in japan, thanks to the Slim + P5 model/bundle release?

horuhe

Oh right, there's Dragon Ball Fusions too. 2DS launch should be good, but I'm expecting sales to drop hard the following week.

By the way... Nintendo 3DS - Road to 22m LTD:

LTD: 21 142 988 units
Units left: 857 012 units
Weeks left: 16 weeks
Average: 53 563 units/week to reach goal

Yes, me too. I think there is no way to maintain sustained legs without proper releases. Regarding the Road to 22m, I would wait until the end of the fiscal year, where 3DS needs 30k per week, a little bit more reasonable.

so next week is the week the PS4 surpasses the Wii U in japan, thanks to the Slim + P5 model/bundle release?

No, haha. More than 130k of difference is still a lot. Two or three weeks more, please.

L~A

It definitely could have if PS4 sales hadn't dropped like a rock in the past couple of weeks.

Regarding the Road to 22m, I would wait until the end of the fiscal year, where 3DS needs 30k per week, a little bit more reasonable.

But that's not really fun, there's no way the 3DS cannot reach 22m before April ;)

barybll

Banned
Every week that I see these dwindling numbers make me fear more and more for my hobby.

The upper half of my most expected games are japanese ;-;.

What you think will be the stabilization point for the market?

small44

Do Japanese players do give much of a fuck about PRO though? Considering they're really don't tend to be interested in graphical power (with the next gen consoles taking longer to get good sales compared to the west).

I don't think they are not interested by graphical power it's just that most of Japanese studios don't have big budgets to make impressive games.

Vena

I think PS4 will be ~80K.

I really think thats far too low as that just recoups the lost weeks and nothing else. Now it's possible JRPG audience has saturated out for the most part and P5 won't have much of an effect, but still the price drop should bet the system at least 10-20k gain over the cumulative of the lost four weeks.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

I don't see PS4 sells 140k next week. I think it will surpass Wii U in 3 weeks. ( or two).

Yes, me too. I think there is no way to maintain sustained legs without proper releases. Regarding the Road to 22m, I would wait until the end of the fiscal year, where 3DS needs 30k per week, a little bit more reasonable.

I mean in December or end of November 3DS is easy gonna sells 100-150k for weeks, if not 200k with holidays and Pokèmon.

If won't happen this year, will happen in January.

I really think thats far too low as that just recoups the lost weeks and nothing else. Now it's possible JRPG audience has saturated out for the most part and P5 won't have much of an effect, but still the price drop should bet the system at least 10-20k gain over the cumulative of the lost four weeks.
That makes sense but after keeping tabs on how things have been going in Japan for a little while now, ~80K wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Just enough to balance things out.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

No, haha. More than 130k of difference is still a lot. Two or three weeks more, please.

It definitely could have if PS4 sales hadn't dropped like a rock in the past couple of weeks.

But that's not really fun, there's no way the 3DS cannot reach 22m before April ;)

I don't see PS4 sells 140k next week. I think it will surpass Wii U in 3 weeks. ( or two).

I mean in December or end of November 3DS is easy gonna sells 100-150k for weeks, if not 200k with holidays and Pokèmon.

Yeas...probably a FFXV + slim release could have done the job.

Bebpo

Banned
Tokyo Xanadu sales are concerning. They put a lot of effort into this ps4 version with about 25% new story/dungeon/bosses/gameplay content besides just graphical upgrades.

I would imagine Ys 8 Ps4 is going to sell similar numbers, so they're spending a year upgrading Ys 8 and adding content most likely to get 20k-30k lifetime sales. Doesn't seem financial a great idea.

Not worried about Cold Steel 3 simce it'll probably launch Ps4/Vita day 1. And a lot of TX's low sales come from it being a re-release (of a game that already had one compete edition re-release on vita already). Working on Ys 8 through next summer just seems like a bad idea, but at the same time they don't have much for 2017, so they need to stretch Ys 8 ps4 out.

horuhe

I wouldn't be so sure. 100k - 120k, is a better range, and even this due to saturation point is highly difficult. Pokémon, of course will help, but seing things as they are now...

January, and especially March are slow months for Nintendo, so I can't see even possible to crack the 22m barrier by that time. Hope it does, though.

The Slim will do nothing to improve these PS4 numbers as much as the Pro will.

Wait... what? Please, explain yourself!

What numbers are we expecting for Persona 5 first week?

PS4 version only 240k and 60k for PS3 version. So, at least 300k all along.

test_account

XP-39C²
Its not sure that everyone who would have bought a PS4 during the last 3-4 weeks would go out and buy one during the next few days. It will take at least a few weeks before we can estimate regarding lost sales being recouped.

Ōkami

PlayStation Store Rankings (September 5th – September 11th)

PS4
01/15. Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts) – {22/02/2014} (¥432)
02/01. Resident Evil 4 (Capcom) – {30/08/2016} (¥2.800)
03/NEW. The Tomorrow Children (SIE) – {07/09/2016} (¥2.700)
04/02. Salt and Sanctuary (Ska Studios) – {18/08/2016} (¥1.780)
05/NEW. Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (Nihon Falcom) – {08/09/2016} (¥5.980)
06/13. Evolve Ultimate Edition (33% OFF) (Take Two Interactive Japan) – {23/02/2016} (¥2.532)
07/07. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (SCE) – {25/12/2014} (¥2.592)
08/10. Dariusburst Chronicles Saviours (30% OFF) (Kadokawa) – {15/01/2016} (¥5.140)
09/09. Resident Evil 6 (Capcom) – {29/03/2016} (¥2.800)
10/11. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) – {28/06/2016} (¥2.800)
11/08. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva - Future Tone (SEGA) – {23/06/2016} (¥8.424)
12/06. Tales of Berseria (Bandai Namco) – {18/08/2016} (¥8.856)
13/04. Arcade Archives: Darius (Hamster) – {26/08/2016} (¥823)
14/18. The Witch and the Hundred Knight: Revival Edition (20% OFF) (Nippon Ichi) – {25/09/2015} (¥4.936)
15/05. No Man’s Sky (SIE) – {25/08/2016} (¥6.372)
16/00. Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate (30% OFF) (Ubisoft) – {12/11/2015} (¥5.670)
17/NEW. F1 2016 (Ubisoft) – {08/09/2016} (¥7668)
18/00. Final Fantasy XIV Online (25% OFF) (Square Enix) – {23/06/2015} (¥4.698)
19/00. Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Special Download Edition (25% OFF) (SIE) – {06/11/2015} (¥8.910)
20/05. The King of Fighters XIV (SNK) – {25/08/2016} (¥7.776)

Vita
01/03. Metal Gear Solid 3 HD Edition (Konami) – {17/07/2012} (¥1.018)
02/06. Metal Gear Solid 2 HD Edition (Konami) – {17/07/2012} (¥1.018)
03/08. Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment (Bandai Namco) – {24/04/2014} (¥1.728)
04/05. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SCE) – {29/10/2014} (¥2.592)
05/07. Romancing SaGa 2 (Square Enix) – {24/03/2016} (¥2.200)
06/04. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Nihon Falcom) – {21/07/2016} (¥6.200)
07/NEW. Geten no Hana with Yume Akarai – Aizouban (Koei Tecmo) – {08/09/2016} (¥6.610)
08/11. Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain (Nippon Ichi) – {23/06/2016} (¥5.143)
09/15. Dariusburst Chronicles Saviours (30% OFF) (Kadokawa) – {15/01/2016} (¥3.680)
10/00. Atelier Shallie Plus: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (20% OFF) (Koei Tecmo) – {03/03/2016} (¥4.443)
11/00. Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (PlayStation Vita the Best) (25% OFF) (SIE) – {10/10/2013} (¥1.782)
12/02. Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Nippon Ichi) – {01/05/2014} (¥3.600)
13/17. Touhou Genso Wanderer (Mediaescape) – {25/06/2015} (¥3.240)
14/12. New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City (Experience) – {21/07/2016} (¥4.104)
15/00. Persona 4: Golden (PlayStation Vita the Best) (Atlus) – {05/02/2015} (¥3.980)
16/00. Adventures of Mana (15% OFF) (Square Enix) – {04/02/2016} (¥1.190)
17/19. Terraria (Spike Chunsoft) – {06/02/2014} (¥2.057)
18/14. Danganronpa 1-2 Reload (Spike Chunsoft) – {10/10/2013} (¥4.834)
19/16. Toukiden 2 (Koei Tecmo) – {28/07/2016} (¥6.610)
20/00. Call of Duty: Black Ops - Declassified (Square Enix) – {20/12/2012} (¥3.240)

There were more Xbox Ones sold last week that during all of August.

Price cut is effective.

Is GungHo losing money on P&D X? Because as far as kid-oriented bombs go, it seems to be doing less bomby than most. It looks more like a failed attempt at making a lot of money than anything.

Hellraider

The Slim will do nothing to improve these PS4 numbers as much as the Pro will.

I really doubt the japanese market will care at all about the the Pro. Slim looks like the more attractive option for it.

Hell, lately I'm not even sure if this whole generation upgrade is gonna work even in the West after all...

Shizuka

Tokyo Xanadu sales are concerning. They put a lot of effort into this ps4 version with about 25% new story/dungeon/bosses/gameplay content besides just graphical upgrades.

I would imagine Ys 8 Ps4 is going to sell similar numbers, so they're spending a year upgrading Ys 8 and adding content most likely to get 20k-30k lifetime sales. Doesn't seem financial a great idea.

Not worried about Cold Steel 3 simce it'll probably launch Ps4/Vita day 1. And a lot of TX's low sales come from it being a re-release (of a game that already had one compete edition re-release on vita already). Working on Ys 8 through next summer just seems like a bad idea, but at the same time they don't have much for 2017, so they need to stretch Ys 8 ps4 out.

The audience isn't there. It was kinda clear that the audience wasn't there, expect for the Legend of Heroes titles, but they're still pulling exclusive content to an audience which is 1/4 the size of the audience they've secured elsewhere.

Oregano

I really doubt the japanese market will care at all about the the Pro. Slim looks like the more attractive option for it.

Hell, lately I'm not even sure if this whole generation upgrade is gonna work even in the West after all...

I think the fact that the Pro was barely mentioned in the TGS stream and that FFXV is getting a slim bundle says it all really.

Oregano

The audience isn't there. It was kinda clear that the audience wasn't there, expect for the Legend of Heroes titles, but they're still pulling exclusive content to an audience which is 1/4 the size of the audience they've secured elsewhere.

Probably worth noting that they said they might go PS4-exclusive for Cold Steel 3.

Calm Mind

Why would they buy the Slim later when it is hardly an improvement over the original in features and the price of what it is available now? The Pro, while more expensive is a better value.

I'm not buying so much the idea that the japanese audience doesn't care about graphics, at least in the case of the PS4.

If we look at which games does sell on PS4 and which games does not... well, the best sellers are big and beautiful japanese games (MGS V, Dark Souls III, Dragon Quest Heroes, Bloodborne) and big and beautiful western games (GTA V, Star Wars Battlefront, COD Black Ops III, Battlefield 4, Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3).

On the other side, charts are showing since day 1 that the japanese audience didn't buy PS4 to play low effort Muso/Hunting games, niche otaku games or remasters from PS3 and PS Vita (I'll give you FF Type-0 HD, but that's it).

With that said, I don't know if Japan will embrace PS4 Pro with the same strengh as the West, but I think the hardware sales on November 10 will show something. Now that I think about it, with Media Create and Famitsu we are certainly getting the split between PS4 and PS4 Pro each week, that's neat :)

Vena

Which is insane, unless they're getting a lot of money from western sales to make up for the loss.

Well, if SC on Steam is any indication... no. Trails in the Sky did well but it definitely benefited from the "the first entry" in PC/Steam sales, but it fell off a cliff with SC.

Going to be interesting to see how pro does in Japan .
Truth is i think it will do okay for what it is .
The people that now buy consoles in Japan are the hardcore so that should help.
The big problem i see is that price is higher compare to slim by more than the west .

Ōkami

On Famitsu this was the worst week ever for hardware, the worst one before it was actually last week, weird that we didn't noticed.

These past few weeks is the lowest hardware sales have been in almost 16 years.

Vena

Ōkami;216900601 said:
On Famitsu this was the worst week ever for hardware, the worst one before it was actually last week, weird that we didn't noticed.

These past few weeks is the lowest hardware sales have been in almost 16 years.

We're so accustomed to failure that we don't even notice it any more.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure. 100k - 120k, is a better range, and even this due to saturation point is highly difficult. Pokémon, of course will help, but seing things as they are now...

Ok then. Let's say 3DS will sell only 100k, not one unit more, in the last 6 weeks of the year (after Pokémon moon/Sun and when holiday start). That's alone is +600k.

This leave < 257k unit for sell 22 million. Now, let's say 3DS will sell an avg of 25k (even after 2DS release) from week 37 to week 46, that's 250k.

7k to go for sells 22 million... you 100% sure 3DS won't sells another 7k in January?

Again, 3DS will most likely sells 22 million this year, if not, will surely happen in January.

Shizuka

Well, if SC on Steam is any indication... no. Trails in the Sky did well but it definitely benefited from the "the first entry" in PC/Steam sales, but it fell off a cliff with SC.

Exactly, but I included that caveat just to be safe.

I'm not buying so much the idea that the japanese audience doesn't care about graphics, at least in the case of the PS4.

If we look at which games does sell on PS4 and which games does not... well, the best sellers are big and beautiful japanese games (MGS V, Dark Souls III, Dragon Quest Heroes, Bloodborne) and big and beautiful western games (GTA V, Star Wars Battlefront, COD Black Ops III, Battlefield 4, Uncharted 4, The Witcher 3).

On the other side, charts are showing since day 1 that the japanese audience didn't buy PS4 to play low effort Muso/Hunting games, niche otaku games or remasters from PS3 and PS Vita (I'll give you FF Type-0 HD, but that's it).

With that said, I don't know if Japan will embrace PS4 Pro with the same strengh as the West, but I think the hardware sales on November 10 will show something. Now that I think about it, with Media Create and Famitsu we are certainly getting the split between PS4 and PS4 Pro each week, that's neat :)
I think there is something to what you're saying. If more was there, I think there would be some support for it. There just isn't anything happening. I can count on my fingers how many big, AAA, graphically adept Japanese games are coming within the next year or so. That ain't good.

Vena

How bad did SC plummet?

This bad:

ogL3Oo8.png

leroidys

Vita holding vs last year is interesting to me. Wonder what the tail will be like on this system, especially if there's no direct yet replacement.

MacTag

Banned

You're arguing Japan cares about graphics but then go on to list a bunch of crossgen games? Doesn't this sort of imply Japan won't care for the Pro, given they barely care for PS4 as it is?

Top Bottom