• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The games that have disappeared were "big" mobile games and now they're probably going to try for projects more similar to YW instead. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped everything except YW and started over with the new franchise you mentioned.
Their older dedicated franchises seem to be MIA too unless I missed something with Inazuma Eleven, that mech building game, and Layton.

I'm curious to see what they announce next, even if it's just the return of something already sort of announced.

MilesTeg

Banned
Their older dedicated franchises seem to be MIA too unless I missed something with Inazuma Eleven, that mech building game, and Layton.

I'm curious to see what they announce next, even if it's just the return of something already sort of announced.

Yokai Watch 3.

Busaiku

I keep forgetting that games like Samuari Warriors Chronicles 3 and Tales of the World Reve Unitia are coming to 3DS.
I suppose if stuff like those franchises can find success on 3DS, its successor will likely be able to absorb those Vita titles and keep the core gaming titles.
But I mean when companies like Square Enix may be favoring PS4 over 3DS for Dragon Quest, despite a lower sales potential, it seems unlikely that 3rd parties will want to keep working with Nintendo's complicated hardware.

Sandfox

Layton 7 is one of the games they announced and has seemingly disappeared, Inazuma Eleven is done and was basically replaced with YW, and I don't see LBX coming back for multiple reasons.

All of their older franchises are basically dead unless they want to make sequels to some of their one off titles.

Road

Yokai Watch Soccer
Yokai Watch Puzzle
Yokai Watch Karting
Yokai Watch Fighting
Yokai Watch Life
Yokai Watch Builder

Yokai Watch Co. has many possibilities besides YW3.

Oregano

I would expect a new Fantasy Life. It was a decent success in Japan, is getting a western release and Brownies/h.a.n.d. could presumably handle most of the grunt work.

I keep forgetting that games like Samuari Warriors Chronicles 3 and Tales of the World Reve Unitia are coming to 3DS.
I suppose if stuff like those franchises can find success on 3DS, its successor will likely be able to absorb those Vita titles and keep the core gaming titles.
But I mean when companies like Square Enix may be favoring PS4 over 3DS for Dragon Quest, despite a lower sales potential, it seems unlikely that 3rd parties will want to keep working with Nintendo's complicated hardware.

i'd imagine if they go ps4 with dragon quest, they are dreaming of making the franchise take off in new countries and are hoping the brand will bring a big audience with it in japan. A high budget console rpg is more likely to grab attention in the west than another handheld jrpg

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Even with a potential DQ shift the market doesn't work that way.

It'd be really interesting if in the absence of a Vita 2 that Tales would make a home on the 4DS. I actually can see them attempting a 4DS version of Vesperia ala Abyss 3DS if powerful enough, actually in 30fps, I can see that being very feasible, since Abyss became 30fps in the whole game as well on 3DS.

That or Graces. Hell I've wondered if that could make it to 3DS ala DKCR3D, but who knows, maybe on New 3DS ala Xenoblade! :O

I think Dawn of the New World would be an easy one and hell, I'm shocked that hasn't happened, they already did a Wii to 3DS port with that Taiko mini-game collection spin-off like everyone forgot about. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega moving devs toward mobile: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-18/sega-shifts-more-developers-to-focus-on-mobile-games.html

Bloomberg said:
Sega Sammy Holdings Inc. (6460), the Japanese publisher of the Sonic the Hedgehog, has tasked almost a third of its game unit’s developers with creating applications for smartphones.

The Tokyo-based entertainment company has increased the portion of its 2,000 developers designing titles for phones and tablets as more gamers go mobile
, Hideki Okamura, president of game unit Sega Corp., said in an interview yesterday. Okamura didn’t say if Sega intends to develop mobile versions of its popular PC and console titles, such as Virtua Fighter and Phantasy Star. Company spokesman Yasushi Nagumo said no Sonic titles are in the works.

“As the new devices have come out and created a market for smartphone applications, we’re putting a lot of resources into that,” Okamura said on the sidelines of the annual Tokyo Game Show. “We’re shifting developers from other areas.”
The reshuffling of developers has led to at least one hit.

A team formerly tasked with producing amusement park games developed Chain Chronicle, which has been downloaded almost 3 million times and generated 7.5 billion yen since its release, the company said in May. Sega and mobile game developer Gumi Inc. announced plans in July to jointly publish Sega games in Europe, North America and South Asia, beginning with Chain Chronicle this year.

Sandfox

Not too many IPs are going to have the money or selling power of DQ or FF so I don't really see that be too big of an issue outside of games that already ignore the handhelds. There are probably always going to be series like MH that won't ever make that jump and companies like Level 5 will continue to experiment on handhelds.

Busaiku

Yeah, I'm actually just focusing too much on Square Enix.
Besides them, it doesn't really look like too many publishers have really left the traditional handheld space, as far as core gaming goes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Besides them, it doesn't really look like too many publishers have really left the traditional handheld space, as far as core gaming goes.
There's a shift, but it's not to the point I'd say there's an immediate panic.

However, that's why I've said a few times it's heavily in Nintendo's interest to court devs early and often with 4DS. They want as many to remain as possible since there is still a shift.

Like look at Konami's handheld line-up, or compare Capcom's from the start of this gen to now to use some other publishers.

Sega is also an interesting example.

Takao

Banned

sKxfZJ8.png

but these guys have kind of checked out of regular video games in general

Busaiku

As far as Konami goes, I don't think their problems are necessarily handheld-centric.
Same with Capcom. Yes at the start of the gen, there was Resident Evil as well, but outside of that, nothing's really changed from last gen outside of killing Mega Man.

Sega's still trucking on Vita with Phantasy Star and Project Diva.
These aren't the types of titles that would likely find too much success on mobile.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
As far as Konami goes, I don't think their problems are necessarily handheld-centric.
Same with Capcom. Yes at the start of the gen, there was Resident Evil as well, but outside of that, nothing's really changed from last gen outside of killing Mega Man.

These aren't the types of titles that would likely find too much success on mobile.
Capcom I view more as interesting from the perspective that they started with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and that mystery adventure game, then tried things like E.X Troopers, and now they look poised to pretty much reduce to just Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney, their safe handheld hits from last gen.

To me a handheld to mobile shift is not about every last game disappearing, it's about the volume steadily shrinking down to primarily the biggest hits a company has, with investments in new titles and revived brands being made elsewhere.

Like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney are really obvious fits for the 4DS. Will they bring anything else? That's more the kind of questions I ask and the kind I think Nintendo should really try to get publishers to answer with "Yes."

If those titles are cross-platform with mobile, they're at least still on 4DS, even if that does give people other platform options for playing them.

It's like how Sony and Microsoft had a notable issue with indies toward the end of last generation as they were walking off consoles and going to PC and mobile where they had significantly more success. The platform holders made major policy changes and worked with the technology providers who powered indie games, and now they're coming back.

Similarly they tried to bring back developers who went into free 2 play by making that far more workable.

Tripon

Whatever happened with Layton 7?

Oregano

On a somehwat related note the surprise success of Bravely Default is likely the only reason Square Emix is bothering with handhelds. I doubt we would be getting FF explorers if Bravely Default sold similarily to 4 Heroes of the Light.

I think it's somewhat notable that Furyu's Legend of Legacy definitely seems to be riffing on BD's style. If it is as similar as it looks it will be one of the first/only examples of a developer following up a successful core game on the 3DS.

Sandfox

Capcom I view more as interesting from the perspective that they started with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and that mystery adventure game, then tried things like E.X Troopers, and now they look poised to pretty much reduce to just Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney, their safe handheld hits from last gen.

To me a handheld to mobile shift is not about every last game disappearing, it's about the volume steadily shrinking down to primarily the biggest hits a company has, with investments in new titles and revived brands being made elsewhere.

Like Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney are really obvious fits for the 4DS. Will they bring anything else? That's more the kind of questions I ask and the kind I think Nintendo should really try to get publishers to answer with "Yes."

If those titles are cross-platform with mobile, they're at least still on 4DS, even if that does give people other platform options for playing them.

It's like how Sony and Microsoft had a notable issue with indies toward the end of last generation as they were walking off consoles and going to PC and mobile where they had significantly more success. The platform holders made major policy changes and worked with the technology providers who powered indie games, and now they're coming back.

Similarly they tried to bring back developers who went into free 2 play by making that far more workable.
I'm curious to see what Nintendo does for mobile and indie devs with their next platform. Given how indies are treated on the Wii U and the success of mobile one would think that Nintendo would think of them when designing their next handheld and that could do a lot for both Nintendo and the devs.

Bitanator

I think it is cool Vita can stay afloat in Japan with crossover mobile titles, it is a smart strategy from Sony, one thing the 3DS cannot have as easily. I expect the next Nintendo handheld to be able to run all the engines that mobile can, it will pretty much have to

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm curious to see what Nintendo does for mobile and indie devs with their next platform. Given how indies are treated on the Wii U and the success of mobile one would think that Nintendo would think of them when designing their next handheld and that could do a lot for both Nintendo and the devs.

Yeah, seeing how Nintendo is trying to bring as many indie developers as possible on Wii U, and seeing all the tools made available on the platform, I have little doubts we're going to see similar efforts on next handheld. Actually, we would probably already see something like that now, if 3DS were able to run Unity and Nintendo Web Framework flawlessly: that's 3DS' main limit right now.

EDIT: And yeah, next Nintendo handheld should be able to run mobile engines for the majority of Japanese mobile titles as well, thanks to the better power.

Yasumi

Banned
First weeks show nothing. LTD is the important.
That's true, considering the series' legs. First week interests me mostly because it's a genre shift compared to the rest of the series, and there haven't been any new media projects in a while. See how the audience reacts to it.

Koren

I can see Project Diva working quite well on mobile...

That being said, each time I look at best sellers on mobile, they fall into one of those two categories:
- very very cheap games, typically 1-3$
- more expensive games (still not similar to consoles, but can be 15-20$) that use an IP that has been successful on PC or console

There's virtually no exception if I'm not mistaken. So, at least in the current situation, they still need to develop successful games on consoles if they want to be able to sell games on portable that are not free-to-play-and-relying-on-in-app-purchases.

saichi

Just for clarification purposes here, what do you consider a turn around in terms of
weekly sales?

50k+ ?

that would be shooting for the moon. 20K -25K is probably more realistic.

Oh I'm not suggesting it definitely won't be on 3DS but if they are planning DQXI for Sony platforms then it might make sense for them to make the next Monsters game on a Sony platform. The Monsters franchise has appeared on Sony home consoles before and the Battle Road games were branded with Monsters IIRC.

Note I'm also not suggesting it's a good idea for them to ignore 3DS.

DQ11 is announced for PS4? When did this happen?

i honestly feel like Sony is holding back on vita announcements. I know a lot of you are going to call me crazy for even thinking it but we will know the answer within the next month if I am right or wrong. My theory is based on my thinking that Sony are about to throw all their eggs in one basket with the release of the PSTV in October 2014 in the US. The device never made sense for the japanese market but I think it could make a big splash in the US if Sony markets it right. i will probably make a thread about this because there are lot of reasons as to why I think this might happen.

I won't hold my breath for that. PSTV is gonna do nothing.

I think it is cool Vita can stay afloat in Japan with crossover mobile titles, it is a smart strategy from Sony, one thing the 3DS cannot have as easily. I expect the next Nintendo handheld to be able to run all the engines that mobile can, it will pretty much have to

I wonder when PAD will show up on VITA.... too bad that 3DS can't run mobile games on it.

sörine

Banned
Yeah, seeing how Nintendo is trying to bring as many indie developers as possible on Wii U, and seeing all the tools made available on the platform, I have little doubts we're going to see similar efforts on next handheld. Actually, we would probably already see something like that now, if 3DS were able to run Unity and Nintendo Web Framework flawlessly: that's 3DS' main limit right now.

EDIT: And yeah, next Nintendo handheld should be able to run mobile engines for the majority of Japanese mobile titles as well, thanks to the better power.
I'm still half expecting Unity/NWF to be announced for New 3DS before the western launch.

Oh I'm not suggesting it definitely won't be on 3DS but if they are planning DQXI for Sony platforms then it might make sense for them to make the next Monsters game on a Sony platform. The Monsters franchise has appeared on Sony home consoles before and the Battle Road games were branded with Monsters IIRC.

DQM has always been on Nintendo handheld, even when mainline entries were on Sony platforms. The only DQM released on a Sony platform was the remake of DQM 1+2 on PS1 and it is the worst-selling entry in the series.

To be fair, DQ as an IP itself appeared way more on Nintendo platforms than Sony's, even when DQVII and VIII were exclusive of PS1 and PS2.

On a somehwat related note the surprise success of Bravely Default is likely the only reason Square Emix is bothering with handhelds. I doubt we would be getting FF explorers if Bravely Default sold similarily to 4 Heroes of the Light.

?

Theatrhythm sold fairly well, and was a decent DLC platform; the iOS didn't, otherwise they wouldn't bother to develop another entry on 3DS. DQ sold well on 3DS.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Fatal Frame got 3 more comgnet preorders Saturday, hitting 29 :). Pokemon preorders started this weekend and there are a lot (like 90+ for Ruby and Double Pack, 110 Sapphire).

Scum

There's a shift, but it's not to the point I'd say there's an immediate panic.

However, that's why I've said a few times it's heavily in Nintendo's interest to court devs early and often with 4DS. They want as many to remain as possible since there is still a shift.

Like look at Konami's handheld line-up, or compare Capcom's from the start of this gen to now to use some other publishers.

Sega is also an interesting example.

This especially. Finding out about the 4DS two to three months before E3 will be fucking stupid on Nintendo's part. They need to make sure devs and publishers get their hands on the things they need 6-9+ months before hand.

I want to see multiple hardware from Nintendo when they launch their next wave of hardware. Maybe, two handhelds and one console.

A "low end" handheld for VC, mobile and handheld games.
A "mid end" handheld for VC, mobile, handheld, indie and console ports.
A "mid-to-high end/high end" console (with docking station for the handhelds) for VC, mobile, handheld, console ports, indies and console games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think so, but I believe they made statements that said their committed to creating a successful cross-media franchise in the vain of Yokai Watch.

This is true, but I feel I should note that statement was when they first announced the original Gaist Crusher.

I realize I reposted that PR about a month ago in here, but I may have failed to mention that it was from a year or two back.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I wonder if 3DS's successor will actually be successful, or if it'll be another Wii U.
I mean 3rd parties are already abandoning 3DS, will they even bother with the next system.

???????????

Bandai Namco - One Piece, Tales, Toei properties, Taiko and Gundam - All present on Nintendo 3DS
Square Enix - Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second and DQ - All present on Nintendo 3DS
Capcom - Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter - All present on Nintendo 3DS
Atlus - Persona, Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey - All present on Nintendo 3DS
Level 5 - All of their properties are present on Nintendo 3DS

The only third-party publisher that seems to have abandonned Nintendo platforms is Konami.

Who is abandonning the platform as I am not seeing it?

Anyway, I remember this defeatism toward 3DS in mid-2011, and a few weeks later Nintendo host the legendary September conference. Not saying it will happen this year as well, but the situation is much less worse than how many people depict it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Anyway, I remember this defeatism toward 3DS in mid-2011, and a few weeks later Nintendo host the legendary September conference. Not saying it will happen this year as well, but the situation is much less worse than how many people depict it.

I'm not concerned about the 3DS itself. Nintendo could decide to never release another title and it'd still sail all the way through a normal lifespan in Japan.

Hell, they could probably not have a single game from any publisher release in the first half of 2015 and still have the best selling system just based on the strength of what's already there and the weakness of their competitors.

It's the follow through to the next system that I think is important, and what they have to manage carefully, since that's the time you see the most internal reassessment at publishers and if they're already a bit skittish, you want to comfort them instead of letting them slip away.

The Wii, PSP, and PS2 were all quite successful in Japan, but through mismanagement, their follow-ups were not.

Now, as I said earlier, they are the last dedicated platform standing, so there is leeway to mess up to an extent and still get quite a bit of support. However, that doesn't mean they should try and let things just handle themselves.

???????????

Bandai Namco - One Piece, Tales, Toei properties, Taiko and Gundam - All present on Nintendo 3DS
Square Enix - Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second and DQ - All present on Nintendo 3DS
Atlus - Persona, Shin Megami Tensei and Etrian Odyssey - All present on Nintendo 3DS

The only third-party publisher that seems to have abandonned Nintendo platforms is Konami.

Also other companies are finding some success on 3DS. Spike Chunsoft with Attack on Titan; FuRyu with Cardfight Vanguard (and now developing an exclusive 3DS jRPG); Marvelous, with Harvest Moon and Rune Factory; GungHo with Puzzle & Dragons Z...

I'm not trying to be a naysayer but aren't smartphone and tablet penetration quite a lot stronger this year than 2011? I imagine that will only continue into 2015 and 2016

Japan especially seems to be a boom country for smartphones these last 2 years or so

I'm not trying to say anything about the 4DS's chances but there does seem to be a bit of difference between say 2015 and 2011 in how the general market is

Road

We need Comg comparations.

Mpl90, please.

Dat Pokemon ORAS first day of pre-orders on Comgnet stores:

Alpha Sapphire - 112pt
ORAS Double Pack - 96pt
Omega Ruby - 92pt

We'll finally have some light on how many people double dip on these Pokémon games. The double pack share will probably decrease with time -- I assume initial pre-orders likely include the most hardcore fans.

???????????

But they're making games for Sony systems as well. They should only make games for the 3DS.

crinale

If the so called shift is real then does this explain Nintendo not stepping in for DQ7 localization? (I guess we had discussion about this in some other thread, though).

Bitanator

Does anyone know what the hell happened to that Comcept/Marvelous game Kaio: King of Pirates? The thing has had a 2014 release date for awhile but I have not heard anything on it since the trailer long time ago. I would have thought it get shown at TGS

Top Bottom