• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

sörine;131010878 said:
SMTIV (3DS) outsold SMTIII (PS2) in the west. Between that, EO hitting series highs on 3DS and P4G outselling nearly everything else on Vita I doubt Atlus is too disappointed with their western handheld sales.

Persona 4 changed the game. Atlus is a much bigger name then they were when SMT3 or the ds EO games came out.

Sandfox

Persona 4 changed the game. Atlus is a much bigger name then they were when SMT3 or the ds EO games came out.

I really doubt P4G(which I assume you're talking about because P4 didn't really "change" things until then) helped out games like EO and I would say SMT is arguable.

sörine

Banned
Persona 4 sold less than 200k in the US. And EO3 released after it too.

Atlus has had top sales on both 3DS and Vita so far. Better than they did on DS and PSP in fact.

sörine

Banned
I'm guessing they mean the original Persona 4 helped raise awareness of Atlus as a brand, leading to benefits to their other games that came out later.
It's not even Atlus USA's biggest seller. Trauma Center Wii sold more. So did Demon's Souls.

Snakeyes

As I see it next generation handheld games will either be iOS/Android/handheld multiplatforms and handheld/home console multiplatforms - that trend is already visible on TGS 2014. True handheld exclusives will be extremly rare.
Well, it's looking more and more likely that the next Nintendo handhelds and home consoles will be sharing the same library. If that ends up being the case, I doubt we'll see many handheld exclusives even from Nintendo themselves.

QaaQer

Well, it's looking more and more likely that the next Nintendo handhelds and home consoles will be sharing the same library. If that ends up being the case, I doubt we'll see many handheld exclusives even from Nintendo themselves.

What makes you say that? I just want to make sure I haven't missed something.

small44

Atlus has significant western userbase - if they want to keep it next generation they will have to move to home consoles.

As I see it next generation handheld games will either be iOS/Android/handheld multiplatforms and handheld/home console multiplatforms - that trend is already visible on TGS 2014. True handheld exclusives will be extremly rare.

I only see ios/android/vita multiplatform

Road

In the FFVIII G-bike presentation, Vita was mentioned as a possibility, maybe, who knows. It will probably depend on how the upcoming Square Enix mobile ports to Vita perform.

Chain Chronicle V bombed horribly. As a comparison, Puzzle & Dragons Z sold 0.5 million first week when it had been downloaded 21 million times -- 2.4% conversion rate. CC has been downloaded 3 million times, 2.4% of that would be 70k. CCV did 4k first week -- 0.1% conversion rate.

Maybe Square Enix will have better luck (or maybe not, as the games being ported don't even seem to be as popular as Chain Chronicle).

On a related note, KanColle Kai for Vita is sporting that vaporware status.

Snakeyes

What makes you say that? I just want to make sure I haven't missed something.
They've been dropping hints about it since the beginning of the year. Iwata has mentioned wanting to have an account-based relationship with customers instead of device-based and turning the Nintendo ecosystem into something more similar to iOS and Android. Then there's this from last E3;

Miyamoto, when asked about the possibility of games that play on both consoles and handhelds:

Is this a board meeting?

[...]

So, particularly with digital downloads now and the idea that you're downloading the right to play a game, that opens up the ability to have multiple platform digital downloads where you can download on one and download on another. Certainly from a development standpoint there is some challenge to it, because if you have two devices that have different specs and you're being told to design in a way that the game runs on both devices, then that can be challenging for the developer—but if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us.
Their direction going forward is pretty clear, IMO.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Weekly Ranking:

01./01. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13}
02./03. [PS3] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11}
03./06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10}
04./07. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10}
05./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./02. [PS4] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11}
07./05. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04}
08./04. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Revolution <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.11}
09./08. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28}
10./13. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11}
11./11. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29}
12./10. [3DS] Yoshi's New Island <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.07.24}
13./12. [PS3] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix)
14./09. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.09.04}
15./21. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07}
16./15. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28}
17./22. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26}
18./19. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26}
19./28. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24}
20./24. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14}

http://s.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090

hiska-kun

Guys, but Bayonetta 2 only had two days of sales, it's not a full week.

Can't wait to see comments like this in the next thread

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

Damn right hiska-kun. We should wait a month of sales to get a full grasp of things!

crinale

Also, this week was the TGS, right? People were there so they couldn't buy the game this week.

:p

Seriously though, the whole internet buzz regarding console (& handheld) gaming was heavily slanted towards TGS during last weekend so Beyo2 must have got overlooked. Not saying releasing it a week earlier or later would have helped much, but this release window overlapping with TGS wan't too smart IMO.

And I disagree with that because Persona wasn't really "big" in the west until recently.

Which is due to the cult status Persona 4 acquired. It didn't do it overnight but over years. Word of mouth and internet presence was very strong for that game (which is why the Golden did so well, people wanted to see what all the fuss was about.) It was the game that brought attention to Atlus and led to the success of its other games.

Seriously though, the whole internet buzz regarding console (& handheld) gaming was heavily slanted towards TGS during last weekend so Beyo2 must have got overlooked. Not saying releasing it a week earlier or later would have helped much, but this release window overlapping with TGS wan't too smart IMO.

The first sentence contradicts the second.

hongcha

Chain Chronicle V bombed horribly. As a comparison, Puzzle & Dragons Z sold 0.5 million first week when it had been downloaded 21 million times -- 2.4% conversion rate. CC has been downloaded 3 million times, 2.4% of that would be 70k. CCV did 4k first week -- 0.1% conversion rate.

This comparison is a bit of apples and oranges because PDZ is a full cart game, not f2p, while Chain Chronicle V on Vita is f2p. The "retail" release of CCV that "bombed" is just a bunch of DLC packs. The real question is how many have downloaded CCV from PSN (and bought something in the game).

On a related note, KanColle Kai for Vita is sporting that vaporware status.

It was announced earlier this month that the game has been delayed to Spring 2015:

http://gematsu.com/2014/09/kan-colle-kai-delayed-spring-2015-japan#uuyWOU3146pl93DA.99

A Kan Colle anime will begin airing in Spring 2015, so part of the reason for the delay was likely to have the game's release coincide with that of the anime's.

Official site:

http://kancolle-vita.com/

Road

This comparison is a bit of apples and oranges because PDZ is a full cart game, not f2p, while Chain Chronicle V on Vita is f2p. The "retail" release of CCV that "bombed" is just a bunch of DLC packs. The real question is how many have downloaded CCV from PSN (and bought something in the game).

Ah, I didn't know it was F2P. I thought it was a regular game. That explains better the very low physical sales. Thanks.

FFAgito+ and Rise of Mana are all F2P as well. Only Chaos Rings III isn't, I guess.

L~A

Heh, that'll be ten times better the not-so-subtle port-begging and "Nintendo killed Bayonetta" posts.

But yeah, I agree that Nintendo (Japan) really seems to have given up on anything that wasn't their "AAA" IP.

The way they just dropped TW101 is disheartning. They don't even seem to believe in the stuff they funded themselves : /

Bayonetta 2 was better, but not that much.

Tsutaya's Weekly Ranking:

01./01. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13}
02./03. [PS3] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11}
03./06. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Honke <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10}
04./07. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 2: Ganso <RPG> (Level 5) {2014.07.10}
05./00. [WIU] Bayonetta 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./02. [PS4] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11}
07./05. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04}
08./04. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Revolution <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.09.11}
09./08. [PSV] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28}
10./13. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11}
11./11. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29}
12./10. [3DS] Yoshi's New Island <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.07.24}
13./12. [PS3] Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition <RPG> (Square Enix)
14./09. [PS4] Samurai Warriors 4 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.09.04}
15./21. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07}
16./15. [PSP] Toukiden: The Age of Demons Extreme <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.28}
17./22. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26}
18./19. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.06.26}
19./28. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24}
20./24. [WIU] Hyrule Warriors <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2014.08.14}

http://s.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090

bomba

holy shit just look at this:

Bayonetta on 360 : FW = 66k, LTD = 118k

Looks like the audience for those games are not on WiiU and fans did not follow.

I don't really understand why people keep being surprised by low Bayonetta 2 sales; it was really expected, given the small Wii U installed base; the fact that Wii U userbase is really different from the game audience; even big Nintendo IPs sold poorly, so why should we expect anything than a bomb from Bayonetta 2? Platinum Games will be fine as usual (at least until they keep funding their projects); Bayonetta fans should be happy to be able to play the sequel (and those who didn't play the first one but are interested in the game they can get both); Nintendo will have a game which departs from its usual line-up, that might be recycled in the future if they will pursue the unified software ecosystem approach.

RalchAC

To be fair eShop numbers are missing for the X and Y numbers, right? I would expect them to get a bump this holiday season as well as next year if they release the Z versions or X/Y 2.

But yeah the market is changing back on GB and GBA there weren't games coming close to Pokémon numbers. Nowadays there are more big IP competitiors with Monster Hunter and Co. present on handhelds.

Not too mention that they release Pokémon games yearly now and the 3DS can still play Pokémon games from 8 years ago.

I don't think Pokemon releases are much different now than they where a while ago. Look:

9d6519f9a6895834ba61cd2d3d17c534.png

There are some voids and all that, but it's been almost yearly for a while. There are some parts where there is only 1 game every 2 years, but then you have two games released in 2004

I don't think Pokemon releases are much different now than they where a while ago. Look:

9d6519f9a6895834ba61cd2d3d17c534.png

There are some voids and all that, but it's been almost yearly for a while. There are some parts where there is only 1 game every 2 years, but then you have two games released in 2004

Yeah, and also Pokémon had a lot of spin-offs back then (more than recent years).

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where Pokémon X / Y will end up. In my opinion, 5m are a lock when it's all said and done. This will be a decrease from previous entries, but still a huge result.

Top Bottom