• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2012 (Sep 17 - Sep 23)

I take it you're not familiar with Square Enix's mobile offerings? All of their games are "expensive". iOS would probably be by far the worst platform for Type-0. I'd complain about it on 3DS, but I'd still buy it. No way would I buy it on a touch only device, lol.

No I'm not (as I don't own an iOS device, I have an Android and I don't game on it), but the only mobile games that really do massive numbers are those that are free or are at that sort of price point

I would not be surprised to find out that SE had at one point planned on Vita being the lead, if not sole, platform for Type-0 in the West, and that they were forced to reevaluate that plan for obvious reasons.

But really, I have no idea what's going on with it at this point.

That MH clone is Soul Sacrifice. Why SCEJ never tried to release Singstar is a mystery to me.

Considering how brutal the game is I suspect that it will get mature rating so I don't think it perfectly overlaps with MH audience. Sales numbers for SS will be very interesting to see. Also not releasing Singstar in Japan has puzzled me since the first one was released in Europe 8 years ago. It really is one of the biggest mysteries in gaming industry.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I would not be surprised to find out that SE had at one point planned on Vita being the lead, if not sole, platform for Type-0 in the West, and that they were forced to reevaluate that plan for obvious reasons.

But really, I have no idea what's going on with it at this point.

Pretty much what I found out too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You did miss something. He was talking on a worldwide front.

Oooh, thank you, I missed a couple of posts! :)
I posted that because I think that the statement that consumers didn't like the first episode seems right to me, but for the Japanes market of course.

Takao

Banned
Not sure if thats sarcasm but yeah thats not what S-E has been doing with iOS.

Considering TWEWY just ended up on iOS I really don't know how one could assume that a hypothetical Type-0 international would likely be a 3DS release.

Outside of Dimensions, all of Square Enix's mobile ports already made their money on other platforms. Type-0 has yet to make back the cost of localization on other platforms simply because it hasn't been released in the west.

If the main reason of porting Type-0 is to sell it in the western market, 3DS isnt exactly doing amazing over there either.
It's not doing awful though, and there are some 3rd party bright spots (Sonic, SSF4, Lego, Skylanders, etc). 3DS also has the advantage of needing the least conversion upgrading (PSP assets are perfect for it as is) and it's also the most attractive platform by far for a Japanese refelease.

saichi

They're five of the six Japanese heavyweights. Vita's got Final Fantasy; well, theoretically, anyway.

Final Fantasy can not compare with Mario, Pokemon, DQ and MH in Japan at all. While AC on console sold less, the DS one was a 5 million game in Japan and no Final Fantasy game has ever sold that much, not to mention the portable ones.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Found out? As in, you have sources?

Kagari told me some time ago they were looking into a Vita release but that could have been months ago. As of now Type 0 isn't going anywhere or doing anything. Square's secrecy doesn't help either. So it's really mere speculation.

Acosta

Based on the possibility of western release. Their only real options now are 3DS, Vita or HD consoles, and 3DS seems to have the least negatives.

No iOS? Square Enix seems to have more faith on mobiles than on 3DS.

Aostia said:
Oooh, thank you, I missed a couple of posts! :)
I posted that because I think that the statement that consumers didn't like the first episode seems right to me, but for the Japanes market of course.

You are right, for Japanese market that commentary would work. But frankly, I didn't get that impression. If the poster wants to clarify.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Seems to me sony saw the 3DS struggling and thought they could just sweep in simply cos they had a better piece of hardware or they assumed the PSP audience would automatically migrate to the Vita regardless of software.
Nope. Sony made the Vita just BECAUSE.

Yeah I think FF Type 0's western release was definitely planned for Vita. Also on Brain Age and NSMB2 they definitely won't come close to DS highs but they seem to have decent legs.

Heck it sold 400k, in two weeks during november, in North America alone, without console bundle, nearing a year after it came out. Granted it had the GotY edition and that two week period covered black friday as well, but that's pretty impressive.

A lot of the reported LBP1 sales came from bundles, something that sold over time and LBP 2 has yet to catch up on timeline wise.

That's not to say taht, in my opinion, the franchise couldn't have been absolutely massive with somethign more closely resembling the physics of NSMB, but the series is far more vibrant than people in this thread realize.

Actually wasn't little big planet actually shown to Nintendo first? Maybe with miyamoto to kidnap a few employees and upend a few tables it might have been a real massive success

BadWolf

Considering how brutal the game is I suspect that it will get mature rating so I don't think it perfectly overlaps with MH audience. Sales numbers for SS will be very interesting to see. Also not releasing Singstar in Japan has puzzled me since the first one was released in Europe 8 years ago. It really is one of the biggest mysteries in gaming industry.

Dunno about that, the idea and concept art is certainly gruesome but none of the actual in game footage has been. Sure its dark in its design but that's about it. You don't actually see them sacrifice themselves like they do in the concept art. it has blood but so does MH.

None of the moves/powers shown (even the major one's for sacrificing a life) are brutal in nature.

I can see a teen rating happening.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

3DS will have two Dragon Quest titles ( one of them a remake of a big spin-off), a good Final Fantasy spin-off, a main Kingdom Hearts and a brand new IP in the span of less than one year ( Rocket Slime 3 released on 3rd November, BD will be out on 11th October) and this is a sign of having less faith than on iOS for you?

LMN

Maybe the reason SE haven't announce Type-0's western release yet, because they are super busy with FFXIV?

3DS will have two Dragon Quest titles ( one of them a remake of a big spin-off), a good Final Fantasy spin-off, a main Kingdom Hearts and a brand new IP in the span of less than one year ( Rocket Slime 3 released on 3rd November, BD will be out on 11th October) and this is a sign of having less faith than on iOS for you?

There is a severe lack of titles (none?) after BD is released from them, but yeah Square put a lot of effort into 3DS. Besides Dragon Quest Monsters I don't think they got what they expected though.

apana

It is strange how Square Enix hasn't ported or delivered an enhanced version of old Final Fantasy games onto 3DS. Nintendo already did that with Ocarina and Star Fox right? Seems like Final Fantasy 7 or 9 would be a no brainer. I thought that is what Square Enix did with the DS.

I wonder if they had it ready for Vita before the Vita came out and now are trying to get it back onto another system. Square is weird with this game. Like just put it out for any system, it's not going to do amazing either way.

Acosta

No, but having 1 planned game for 3DS against 7 for mobiles sure is.

Do you think SE is happy with the sales of the "main" Kingdom Heart for 3DS?

It appears the PSP Vita is a textbook example of how to not design a console. I thought I'd never see a platform do worse than Xbox or Xbox 360, but Vita is a contender.

I hope Sony doesn't keep going with the suicidal 3DO/CDi route with the PS4.

Zen

Banned
Actually wasn't little big planet actually shown to Nintendo first? Maybe with miyamoto to kidnap a few employees and upend a few tables it might have been a real massive success

True that, though it seems like the online infastructure and technologiical barriers of the Wii might have kneecapped them. If memory recalls, Nintendo wasn't interested, but Reggie was noticably pissed when Sony unvielled it at a GDC. In an alternate universe we might just now be seeing 'Mario Built it universe 2' on the Wii-U.

I'm not sure what would have been the better universe, to be honest, as Sony has gone all out with the series, and Nintendo wouldn't have been able to realize the networked ambitions of the title until recently, but the platforming might have been more predictable and thus popular.

wrowa

Outside of Dimensions, all of Square Enix's mobile ports already made their money on other platforms. Type-0 has yet to make back the cost of localization on other platforms simply because it hasn't been released in the west.

It's not like SE isn't willing to translate original iOS games into English, though. Drakerider, Chaos Rings 1/Omega/2 and FF: Dimensions are all full-blown RPGs and then there's smaller stuff like Demon's Score or Guardian Cross.

At the same time we are still waiting on any kind of confirmation for a western release of Bravely Default...

iOS is not a viable plattform for Type-0, no. The game has its fair share of control issues on PSP, it would be an utter catastrophe on iOS.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wonder if they had it ready for Vita before the Vita came out and now are trying to get it back onto another system. Square is weird with this game. Like just put it out for any system, it's not going to do amazing either way.

I was told FF was guaranteed a western release. Guess not.

I mean they put a JP PSN release and it can work with Vita. Kinda.

BadWolf

It appears the PSP Vita is a textbook example of how to not design a console. I thought I'd never see a platform do worse than Xbox or Xbox 360, but Vita is a contender.

I hope Sony doesn't keep going with the suicidal 3DO/CDi route with the PS4.

Its the perfect example of how to design a console, the tech itself is fantastic.

Unfortunately great hardware doesn't sell itself, games do.

Its the perfect example of how to design a console, the tech itself is fantastic.

Unfortunately great hardware doesn't sell itself, games do.

Well technically the tech is part of the problem as it's designed to the point where a price drop is impossible right now. Even what few games do come out on VIta are being hampered by that price

BadWolf

Well technically the tech is part of the problem as it's designed to the point where a price drop is impossible right now. Even what few games do come out on VIta are being hampered by that price

Not so much impossible as pointless right now, imo.

It would just create a small bump unless it coincides with the release of some major new software.

Acosta

It's not episodic, f2p, tower defense, touch rhythm or a half decade old DS port. Also, if SE wanted to release the thing as a $20 download, they could just easily make it a HD Remaster.

Wow, that's a lot of exceptions!

HD remaster cost money, you need to go with the same regional bullshit and the verification process, companies want their cut, etc. Mobiles are cheaper and less riskier. All advantages!

Top Bottom