• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2012 (Sep 17 - Sep 23)

Foshy

People surprised about the poor performance of LBP puzzle me. LBP was bad, LBP2 was even worse despite its prety good "game editor" and LBP PSP was just dreadfull. Do you really believe gamers are going to keep giving the franchise the benefit of the doubt after three mediocre to bad games? I know I won't.

Oh please. The LBP series is anything but bad.

Celine

Every week I click into the thread and think maybe, just maybe what I know in my heart to be true will be wrong. I think maybe the Vita will do better, that somehow people will realize the potential of the system and buy. I think to myself, maybe despite all the "Vita hate" people in reality will purchase one just to collect, like I do.
People buy on potential when potentially interesting games are scheduled for the system or
the manufacturer first-party offering was appealing enough in the past to enjoy a system of said manufacturer.

Fularu

Banned
Oh please. The LBP series is anything but bad.

When the plateforming is bad, no matter how good the game looks, the game is bad.

Unless you're going to argue that the plateforming gameplay/controls of the LBP games is good? But you'll probably be on your own there.

Level design, controls, gameplay. The three most important elements of a plateformer (especially a 2D one) are all bad in the series. On the other hand, graphics and game editors are good.

PS Vita still tracking ahead of Dreamcast, but only by 364 units. Needs to sell 19,322 units this week to stay ahead.

next week :

DC_sorpasso.jpg

It's all perception anyway, all systems are doomed at birth, but it's easier to pretend something is worth supporting when it has constant, obvious, confident first party support, regardless of how transparently desperate.

Takao

Banned
SCEA wouldn't allow that.

Yeah, just like Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, right?

Monster Hunter is a very special example of what happens when you give a game that's not popular in the west a very lazy port that requires a specific program that only it uses. As for the SCEA requires PSP ports to be in bundles, that has only been evident with games that were already released in North America for $40. Type-0 is not a game that has been released in North America for $40.

Touchscreen + CPP. Worked for Monhun.

Using CPP isn't a defense since at that point you might as well be playing on a console since no one is lugging that joke around.

Foshy

When the plateforming is bad, no matter how good the game looks, the game is bad.

Unless you're going to argue that the plateforming gameplay/controls of the LBP games is good? But you'll probably be on your own there.

Level design, controls, gameplay. The three most important elements of a plateformer (especially a 2D one) are all bad in the series. On the other hand, graphics and game editors are good.

Yes, I think the gameplay and level design is good, especially in LBP2 and Vita. You probably don't like that it's more floaty than most other platformers, but guess what, not every platformer has to run on the same engine and you get used to that in 10 minutes at most.

The floaty feel is part of what makes LBP what it is, and you may like it or not, but saying it's "bad" like it's a fact is pretty ignorant.

Zen

Banned
Not sure about my sources but:

As of Jan 28, 2012, worldwide:

LBP : 4.82 million units.
LBP2 : 2.45 million units.

Quite a drop IMO. And not counting the fact that those 2 games were bundled.

I think the series is already stale.

That looks suspiciously like Chartz data, the only other data we do have pointed towards as good/better than LBP1.

Boney

Banned
Is seems to me that at this point people are assuming the Vita is a walking corpse and they are just waiting for it to die so they can pick one up for $100 and buy the 4 or 5 games they were interested in.

I'm hyped for Soul Sacrifice, but if it sells more than 20k on it's first week I'll eat my hat.

They just buy the one game they're interested, beat it and then sell it along with the system.

People buy on potential when potentially interesting games are scheduled for the system or
the manufacturer first-party offering was appealing enough in the past to enjoy a system of said manufacturer.

I know, really I do.. and I agree. Took a while for me to get to this point, but the situation is just dire, it's over. I absolutely believe that Nintendo will dominate this holiday season in all territories. With slick advertising and playing up the Monster Hunter cross play feature, they will attract people that will pick up both titles... I expect Nintendo to be a vortex sucking up all the dollars this holiday.

If they hurry and launch Miiverse on 3DS this holiday (or shortly after) it might just be enough to obliterate Vita into an early grave. Can Vita even survive until the PS4 launch?

Metallix87

Monster Hunter is a very special example of what happens when you give a game that's not popular in the west a very lazy port that requires a specific program that only it uses. As for the SCEA requires PSP ports to be in bundles, that has only been evident with games that were already released in North America for $40. Type-0 is not a game that has been released in North America for $40.

This all sounds like excuses, Takao. If a PS3 version were coming over, it'd be announced by now. It hasn't been. Why? Because Square-Enix knows that SCEA won't let it come as a singular release. I'm actually surprised, after the whole Monster Hunter Portable 3rd debacle, that you'd still think this is a real possibility.

PS3/Xbox 360 digital release is also realistically i'd say. Square Enix did recently do the PS3 Kingdom Hearts HD collection for example, and that includes a DS game.

Incorrect. That collection includes two PS2 games and HD versions of the cutscenes from said DS game. If anything, this example further proves my point, since it's two games + some content from a third game in a Collection, likely to appease SCEA.

Vinnk

vinnksvillagemed.jpg

I have no idea if I will be able to keep it going like I did in years past. But here is 2 week in a row at least. I visited several game shops this week while filming some video so I got to see more of the shops I used to when I did the early "reports". Anyway..

1. The local 7-11 and other shops are not selling physical copies of NSMB2, Oni Training or Art Academy but they have the download cards available near the itunes cards. It makes sense for them I suppose. Less risk for unsold inventory and they take up very little space.

2. I am not sure if this is a large scale trend or just a coincidence, but at 3 stores (Book-off, Best Denki and Yamada Denki) all the PS3 Move requiring games (Move sport-thing, Beat Sketch, that boxing one, Michael Jackson, etc.) have all been moved to the "bomba bin" and the discount is massive. Best sells all the games for 180yen each, Book-off between 80yen and 280yen, Yamada highest is 480. I didn't see the Move version of BH5 but I don't think that required Move.

3. Now I haven't been visiting many shops lately and maybe this trend started a long time ago, but there are a ton of used Wii consoles on the market. I wonder is people anticipating the WiiU and it's back-compatability are trading in while they can still get something for it. A used Wii can be yours for 8000yen.

4. Xenoblade is holding it's value well. I can't find a copy for under 4500yen in my town (and I'm looking now). Most used copies are still going for around 5500. Can't say the same for Pandora's Tower (1700yen), or The Crystal Bearers (380yen).

5. PS3 Ni no Kuni 1800yen, DS 980yen.

5. Used copies of MIKU can be found at a few of the store but no used Miku PSV hardware in any shops. Lots of the regular PSVs. Most shops will not buy the 3G.

6. FFXIII-2 Limited Edition PS3 consoles are selling for 500yen LESS than a comparable regular PS3 at Book-off.

7. I have seen used MH3G 3DS bundles on the shelves. Haven't seen those in a long time. Maybe people upgraded? Getting ready for MH4?

8. TGS looked lame from the reports but that is 100% sour grapes from me since I was not able to go this year. Still my gaming friends here in Japan seemed less excited and the mainstream news barely covered it this year.

9. Since I last visited all the shops in March, 2 stores have removed their retro (pre Playstation 2) sections. GEO and Goody. 2 other stores dramatically scaled them down (Book-Off and Book-net). Makes my 8-bit heart sad.

10. Still no Wii U advertising in stores at all. Not a single store had so much as a WiiU logo. I thought with the date now released there would be.. something. I wonder how it is in the big cities..

Ok, that's all for now. If there is anything specific you want to know, tell me and I'll try to check on it next time.

test_account

XP-39C²
Incorrect. That collection includes two PS2 games and HD versions of the cutscenes from said DS game. If anything, this example further proves my point, since it's two games + some content from a third game in a Collection, likely to appease SCEA.
Oh ok, i didnt get that update. Thought Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days was also included as someone first reported. Thanks. I still think a PS3/Xbox 360 version of Type-0 is just as realistic as a 3DS version though.

Squareenix will surely want it as a full price retail release
The digital release doesnt have to be "budget price" (around $15). They could do a $40 physical release too.

Takao

Banned
This all sounds like excuses, Takao. If a PS3 version were coming over, it'd be announced by now. It hasn't been. Why? Because Square-Enix knows that SCEA won't let it come as a singular release. I'm actually surprised, after the whole Monster Hunter Portable 3rd debacle, that you'd still think this is a real possibility.

Likewise, if Type-0 was coming to 3DS don't you think it would've already been announced by now? The longer they take to announce what's up with that game makes interest wane every single day and it's not like Square Enix has a bunch of 3DS titles in the public pipeline.

Metallix87

Likewise, if Type-0 was coming to 3DS don't you think it would've already been announced by now? The longer they take to announce what's up with that game makes interest wane every single day and it's not like Square Enix has a bunch of 3DS titles in the public pipeline.

If Type-0 is coming to the 3DS, and I believe it might be, I imagine that decision to port it was likely made fairly recently, most likely after the Vita continued struggling well after it's launch. If anything, it may be an "International Version" that the 3DS sees, with new content.

Sony pushed LBP massively, and no doubt have had great returns from the franchise.
But its not 'good' - successful platformers should be possibly for a long term franchise. Its evident LBP isn't; people tried the first, a lot disliked it and dropped out - the second was sold as 'better' but still the gameplay isn't very fun but graphics can be appealing beyond 'OMG REALISTIC' and are whimsical.

Sony have spotted a good strategy and we'll see it at the start of PS4 I suspect; announce a game, market it, sell it - focus on it 100%. The marketing can be huge and continuous cause your not looking for profit right away. Launch a franchise off the back of it.

If its a better game than LBP then it'll do even better and become more a 'staple' franchise like Halo is to Xbox or Mario to Nintendo. But as long as it looks good and is competent - it can be packaged into a big seller across a generation of a platform.

Meanwhile...LBP will still be a Sony franchise but much more niche and with less money spent on its marketing.
Such is life. People move on.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If Type-0 is coming to the 3DS, and I believe it might be, I imagine that decision to port it was likely made fairly recently, most likely after the Vita continued struggling well after it's launch. If anything, it may be an "International Version" that the 3DS sees, with new content.

The artbook concepts of extra summons and other characters having weapons and battle stances also seen in the game's data would seem to imply a international version would add these things in.

Especially if the novels and manga also turned into additional game content as well.

For me Type 0 for 3ds would be a logical decision. Since it was made to be a portable game from the getgo.

Acosta

But its not 'good' - successful platformers should be possibly for a long term franchise. Its evident LBP isn't; people tried the first, a lot disliked it and dropped out

LBP2 sold better than LBP.

There goes your narrative.

BTW guys, are we really discussing a Type-0 3DS version? Based on what? I must have missed the news.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, given how Vita is doing not just in Japan, but worldwide, I perfectly expect Final Fantasy Type 0 International for 3DS, and this will be the version released in the West.

Takao

Banned
Something something ninety nine pence something

I take it you're not familiar with Square Enix's mobile offerings? All of their games are "expensive". iOS would probably be by far the worst platform for Type-0. I'd complain about it on 3DS, but I'd still buy it. No way would I buy it on a touch only device, lol.

Acosta

Yes, given how Vita is doing not just in Japan, but worldwide, I perfectly expect Final Fantasy Type 0 International for 3DS, and this will be the version released in the West.

Yes? I'm going to bet for an iOS release. Makes much more sense given it was originally a mobile game (and hey, baseless speculation is fun).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

BTW guys, are we really discussing a Type-0 3DS version? Based on what? I must have missed the news.

Are we talking about Japan sales for LBP?
because:

LBP 1: 111,376
LBP 2: 31,181

Am I missing something?

BTW, about 3DS Type-0 it make no sense also to me, at least up to now

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Something something ninety nine pence something

Not sure if thats sarcasm but yeah thats not what S-E has been doing with iOS.

Considering TWEWY just ended up on iOS I really don't know how one could assume that a hypothetical Type-0 international would likely be a 3DS release.

test_account

XP-39C²
If the main reason of porting Type-0 is to sell it in the western market, 3DS isnt exactly doing amazing over there either.

Zen

Banned

Heck it sold 400k, in two weeks during november, in North America alone, without console bundle, nearing a year after it came out. Granted it had the GotY edition and that two week period covered black friday as well, but that's pretty impressive.

A lot of the reported LBP1 sales came from bundles, something that sold over time and LBP 2 has yet to catch up on timeline wise.

That's not to say taht, in my opinion, the franchise couldn't have been absolutely massive with somethign more closely resembling the physics of NSMB, but the series is far more vibrant than people in this thread realize.

Top Bottom