• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2013 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

Metallix87

We'll see. Sony already announced a sell out on pre-orders of Vita TV.
How large of a number do you think that is? Honestly, why are so many people deluding themselves? Tons of port begging and absurd hopes. As I've said, there's no fixing the Vita situation until Sony truly commits to fixing it, with more marketing and more first party games from their top tier devs.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Agreed. Capcom made a big mistake by making it for 3DS instead of Vita.

You realise you comparing a game released during Christmas to one that has not. It's still on track to beat. post Christmas is when we can make a more accurate judgement.

Bruno MB

Selling initial shipment race:

07./04. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.29} (¥7.980) - 7.750 / 441.851 (around 60.000 units in stock)
09./06. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team # <RPG> (Nintendo) {2013.07.18} (¥4.800) - 7.668 / 315.881 (around 80.000 units in stock)
24./20. [PS3] Lost Planet 3 <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.08.29} (¥6.990) - 2.423 / 48.785 (around 35.000 units in stock)

So, out of curiosity I wonder will VitaTV sales be combined with the portable Vita or will its sales be counted as a separate/individual device? (I'm" assuming the latter)

QaaQer

Guess it depends how desperate Sony is to do a big moneyhat. Plus of course if Nintendo has some exclusive deal.

Sony isn't going to moneyhat anything for vita. It's fate is sealed, a niche handheld/ps4 peripheral. 3ds curb stomped vita and there will be no more Sony dedicated gaming handhelds, end of.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Nintendo comes up with next in, what, maybe 2017? Since they will be the only dedicated on the market, I wonder if they will just iterate on the DS formula again: 2 screens, backwards compatible, cheap-ish tech, etc. Or will they innovate in someway?

How large of a number do you think that is? Honestly, why are so many people deluding themselves? Tons of port begging and absurd hopes. As I've said, there's no fixing the Vita situation until Sony truly commits to fixing it, with more marketing and more first party games from their top tier devs.

thank you. someone finally gets it

Frillen

We'll see. Sony already announced a sell out on pre-orders of Vita TV.

Preorders mean nothing when we don't have raw numbers. I will also present to you another funny fact:

Even the N-Gage was sold out of preorders before launch. Yeah, we all know how that went.

mclem

One thing interests - and ever-so-slightly worries, but we'll see - me about Vita TV: Effectively, once PS4's released, shorn of all other context: Sony will have three independent devices on the market which plug into your TV and play games; PS3, PS4, Vita TV. And, crucially, none of the devices are directly compatible with the others.

That seems like a minor clusterfuck waiting to happen, but we'll see.

SmokyDave

Sony isn't going to moneyhat anything for vita. It's fate is sealed, a niche handheld/ps4 peripheral. 3ds curb stomped vita and there will be no more Sony dedicated gaming handhelds, end of.
Yup. I think we're at the point now where Sony couldn't 'save' it, regardless of what resources they threw at it. They aren't going to break themselves in that way when they have the PS4 to support.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Nintendo comes up with next in, what, maybe 2017? Since they will be the only dedicated on the market, I wonder if they will just iterate on the DS formula again: 2 screens, backwards compatible, cheap-ish tech, etc. Or will they innovate in someway?
They'll make a Vita, and it will be proclaimed as the greatest thing to ever happen to handheld gaming.

Shengar

ProTip: When a new Media Create Sales pop out, just see the OP and when your favorite/hated game/gaming device perform badly, just keep the lamenting/boasting to yourself.

I think Sony will try one more time in the handheld space with a different approach. Does anyone know how the Vita parts are seeing price reduction in the future? Depending on the next Nintendo handheld they might even try to keep Vita alive to leech on multiplats with a very cheap model if that is possible with the hardware in the future.

As for totally different ''PSP3'' I think they would go with much smaller power bump this time and go full out price war with that too. The old PSP model does not work anymore.

Fularu

Banned
We have a lot of indicators that show that Vita TV will do quite well this holiday actually. Dismissing it based on Japan being "Handheld Land" is silly.

Those indicators beeing? Because frankly, outside of some Sony bleeps and some Vita owners having stupidly high expectations from it, there's no hype whatsoever.

Also why buy a "VitaTV" in Japan when you can get a full fledged Vita for barely more? (Since you have to, you know, buy a controller and a memory card to use that thing).

Contra11

Banned
Its such a waste for Sony to pay for exclusivity for games like "Deep Down" and let the Vita with MH failure clones .. this game could save the Vita in Japan

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Look at dat Wii U bump. Everyone is preparing for the Wind Waker!! I expect some stunning numbers next week.

Its such a waste for sony to pay for exclusivity for games like deep down and let the vita with MN failure clones .. this game could save the Vita in japan and it will be better on it instead of been on small horrible screen and big circle pad

It would be best on PC...theoretically. And your point?

01. [PSX] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden (Enix) {2000.08.26} - 1.072.286 / 2.934.351

Jawdrop.gif

1.9 million first week and then 1+ million second week......holy fuck the PS1 was insane. I miss the old Japanese gaming industry :(

don't expect miracles. The Japanese mostly play mobile games, consoles are niche.

20 million ain't niche lol.

Ratrat

Those indicators beeing? Because frankly, outside of some Sony bleeps and some Vita owners having stupidly high expectations from it, there's no hype whatsoever.

Also why buy a "VitaTV" in Japan when you can get a full fledged Vita for barely more? (Since you have to, you know, buy a controller and a memory card to use that thing).
Here's an indicator.
http://app.m-cocolog.jp/t/typecast/34364/35143/77677163
Honestly, I'm not sure what Sony fans' stupid high expectation are but I think Sony underestimated demand and will be happy with how it performs.

BTW the whole port begging thing is getting tired. Why can't people just enjoy games where they are ? If it was about making games on the best platform, trust me, everything would be on PC.

Tripon

Yup. Even if it got a MH game it would be a minor bump. Especially with 3DS being the MH machine now. Unless Sony creates a miracle game, the Vita is not going to see a good recovery.

Yeah, I doubt Capcom is interested in trying to get people to buy more Vitas to just play MH.

There's a reason why MH4 came in the 3rd year of the 3DS' life, and wasn't a launch title like MH3U was.

Well I guess since no one can say it didn't do well, people will instead say how MH4 has declined from 3rd with the implication that somehow they could have topped it somewhere else.

Tripon

Yep, but I imagine Sony wouldn't do something slockly like make only 10,000 units and claim that they're all sold out.

I have to imagine the initial stock is more in the six figures range.

Yes, Sony has mentioned it several times. Also the whole thread about the Amazon pre-orders and the online polling reaction to the conference. A lot of things that on their own can easily be dismissed but together paint a promising looking picture.

I have no idea about long-term prospects but it should do very well this holiday. Especially with the void left in the console market by no PS4.

Japanese game industry is going downhill fast. No.4 on the chart is alraedy <10,000 copies sold. This is depressing. We will seriously play Japanese games exclusively on a phone in the near future.

Do you live in Japan? I have some friends over there and there're definitely hypes of Vita TV, probably more so than the PS4. Of course it's just a small group of people and can't be an indicator for the whole market but saying there's no hype at all is seriously wrong.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well I guess since no one can say it didn't do well, people will instead say how MH4 has declined from 3rd with the implication that somehow they could have topped it somewhere else.

I don't get why people are concerned. Monster Hunter is on the 3DS's biggest competitor already:

20130919_163023-660x3efkyk.jpg

vita tv will sell to almost no one as a primary console, its a niche product that will sell either to vita owners wanting to play their games at home or people wanting to do ps4 streaming

if included it may do a bit of a bump to vita hardware sales but will do nothing for the software

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Its such a waste for Sony to pay for exclusivity for games like "Deep Down" and let the vita with MH failure clones .. this game could save the Vita in Japan and it will be better on it instead of been on device with small horrible screen and big circle pad

You talking about the 3DS? It's not horrible and it was a better option for Capcom so they went with it.

Fularu

Banned

Those people have completely forgotten MH3G's pattern. It's quadrupled its first week sales (between Regular and best price editions).

While MH4 probably won't, there's little doubt that it will, at the very least, double them before the best price version is released.

The game will sell on par with MHP3rd, it's already tracking on par with it without even having been out during the holiday season.

Ah, I didn't know Oregairu got a game. Pretty cool. Probably one of my top anime shows of the year.

oregairu.jpg

Anyways, interesting Wii U bump, MH4 continues its dominance and 3DS beats out Wii's lifetime Japanese sales.

Metallix87

Yep, but I imagine Sony wouldn't do something slockly like make only 10,000 units and claim that they're all sold out.

I doubt the initial shipment is anywhere near 100k.

Ratrat

Yes, Sony has mentioned it several times. Also the whole thread about the Amazon pre-orders and the online polling reaction to the conference. A lot of things that on their own can easily be dismissed but together paint a promising looking picture.

I have no idea about long-term prospects but it should do very well this holiday.
The evidence at least points to the reception being more positive than Sony initially anticiated. Whether that translates to 'huge' numbers is an entirely different matter.

Kid Ying

Look at dat Wii U bump. Everyone is preparing for the Wind Waker!! I expect some stunning numbers next week.
I was thinking that was the case. Not tr stunning part, but when pikmin was released, wiiu had a couple of bumps in antecipation for the game. WW is not like pikmin, as we already know, but it might have helped to push some people into it.

Of course its so small of a flutuation that it might be just noise. In any case, i expect Wiiu to sell even more next week, just to descend even further in the weeks after.

Taker666

We have a lot of indicators that show that Vita TV will do quite well this holiday actually. Dismissing it based on Japan being "Handheld Land" is silly.

I think it will do well...

..but the big question for publishers will be-

Are those Vita TV's being sold to all new consumers (who will boost Vita software sales)?...or are the majority of sales going to be to current Vita owners who just want the option of playing their handheld games on TV (keeping software sales at a similar level)?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

100k first shipment looks very high, unless Sony gives a number no one knows.

MH4 will exceed Capcom FY forecast from this quarter.

Top Bottom