• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2013 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The sales are a bit too one-sided for my tastes =(. Monster Hunter & the 3DS are selling really well though.

I kind of hope other consoles will have some success. I'm curious as to why Nintendo isn't releasing DK and stuff in Japan this year. Is it because of localization problems? I can't really imagine any other reason.

Dude, I've seen more 'lol Vita' gifs than you can possibly imagine. I just liked the idea of flipping it out for Wii U because that gives Nintendo-only cats a mind-fuck. Hell, replace it with 'the rest of the japanese dedicated gaming industry' if you really want to drive the point home.

As the gag stands, you might as well replace the guy in the middle with a dead horse.

Why don't you just make a gif with the Wii U as the butt of the joke, and be done with it. Perhaps people might enjoy it just as much as they do the Vita gifs. As of now it's just you speculating that people would be prissy, which makes you sound prissy.

I would make one, but my gif making skills are non-existent.

Cha

Someone ( https://twitter.com/Il_Giuda) did a quick PS for me

k4HdivZ.gif

lol. Exactly how I see the Vita's situation right now. I think sales will rise later in the year when new colors and God Eater releases, but I doubt it's going to be anything spectacular :/

zroid

Banned
Why don't you just make a gif with the Wii U as the butt of the joke, and be done with it. Perhaps people might enjoy it just as much as they do the Vita gifs. As of now it's just you speculating that people would be prissy, which makes you sound prissy.

I would make one, but my gif making skills are non-existent.

someone already did it on a previous page, lol

Snakeyes

Did Psycho Mantis get so bothered by the Vita gif that he learned how to make them himself just to post a Wii U one in response? lmfao

donny2112

Agreed. Capcom made a big mistake by making it for 3DS instead of Vita.

To put in context, this would be like saying Squaresoft made a big mistake putting Final Fantasy X on PS2 instead of Saturn because FFX was down in launch numbers from FFIX.

From July 2012 ...

I think people are forgetting just how rare a game selling 3+ million really is.
(since 1995)

Pokemon - 7 games (combined gens)
Dragon Quest - 4 games
Brain Training - 2 games
Final Fantasy - 2 games
Mario Kart - 2 games
NSMB - 2 games
Animal Crossing - 1 game
Monster Hunter - 1 game

+ Wii Fit and Tomodachi Collection

= 23 games

4+ million:

Pokemon - 5 games
NSMB - 2 games
Dragon Quest - 1 game
Brain Training - 1 game
Animal Crossing - 1 game
Monster Hunter - 1 game

= 11 games

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd is the only Monster Hunter game to sell over 3m with its first release much less the 4.8m bar being setup. Just try to keep that in mind. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel the most damning thing for the Vita and Wii U so far is that nothing released seems to actually effect the baseline on a prolonged basis.

When the 3DS started getting games, its baseline went up and constantly stayed significantly higher than its nadir. It's a system that people will buy to play games in general instead of just a specific title.

With the Vita and Wii U, whenever something releases, they go up for a few weeks and crash right back down to where they were. There's no sign that interest in increasing as a whole, and instead only people who want the particular release that came out that week are getting won over.

Spiegel

To put in context, this would be like saying Squaresoft made a big mistake putting Final Fantasy X on PS2 instead of Saturn because FFX was down in launch numbers from FFIX.

From July 2012 ...

Not disagreeing with this post but in the one you made in 2012 you were selling the MH franchise short.

MH was a mainstream phenomenon in 2009, 2010 and it still is a mainstream phenomenon now. Nothing has changed about it.

Metallix87

That might have more to do with the fact that the releases are, overall, much less significant, and that they're not followed up with more releases.

Super Mario 3D World may turn the tide a bit, but the general emptiness of the release lineup hurts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I feel the most damning thing for the Vita and Wii U so far is that nothing released seems to actually effect the baseline on a prolonged basis.

When the 3DS started getting games, its baseline went up and constantly stayed significantly higher than its nadir. It's a system that people will buy to play games in general instead of just a specific title.

With the Vita and Wii U, whenever something releases, they go up for a few weeks and crash right back down to where they were. There's no sign that interest in increasing as a whole, and instead only people who want the particular release that came out that week are getting won over.

I think that is right, though I would argue that at the moment at least Vita might be in an even worse position because they have already done the price cut.

Long term though, if Wii U continues to go months in some cases without Japanese focused titles then yeah I see no real recovery even with a price drop.

donny2112

Not disagreeing with this post but in the one you made in 2012 you were selling the MH franchise short.

MH was a mainstream phenomenon in 2009, 2010 and it still is a mainstream phenomenon now. Nothing has changed about it.

Wasn't trying to imply that the games on that list used to do big and had passed their time. Was trying to readjust people's thinking last year that were essentially saying that if MH4 didn't grow over MHP3, then it wouldn't be considered good. Just trying to get people to realize the extreme rarity of a 3m+ selling title much less the 4m+ selling MHP3. It's the same kind of flawed thinking going on here. (e.g. If MH4 doesn't surpass MHP3, that it'll somehow be considered that Capcom did something wrong with the game.)

Did Psycho Mantis get so bothered by the Vita gif that he learned how to make them himself just to post a Wii U one in response? lmfao

I don't get it. I can't post WiiU gifs....I said on the previous with an idea about a WiiU, people responded and I decided to make it.

Geez some people get so touchy about gifs. Heres one more :)

oie_M1du_HDNVp_Voo.gif

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
ROTK and Nobunaga's Ambition actually charted, not too shabby for such niche strategy games.

05./00. [3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.09.19} (¥5.040) - 8.024 / NEW <40-60%>
12./00. [3DS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.09.19} (¥5.040) - 4.648 / NEW <20-40%>

Sales are low, sellthrough is low, they won't have legs, Koei won't bother again.

zroid

Banned
I don't get it. I can't post WiiU gifs....I said on the previous with an idea about a WiiU, people responded and I decided to make it.

oie_M1du_HDNVp_Voo.gif

LOL

this is great on so many levels

Sales are low, sellthrough is low, they won't have legs, Koei won't bother again.

They'll just go running and screaming back to TPC, begging to make Pokémon Conquest 2. :p

Spiegel

Wasn't trying to imply that the games on that list used to do big and had passed their time. Was trying to readjust people's thinking last year that were essentially saying that if MH4 didn't grow over MHP3, then it wouldn't be considered good. Just trying to get people to realize the extreme rarity of a 3m+ selling title much less the 4m+ selling MHP3. It's the same kind of flawed thinking going on here. (e.g. If MH4 doesn't surpass MHP3, that it'll somehow be considered that Capcom did something wrong with the game.)

Ah, okay, yeah, that people is just looking for an excuse to say they want MH elsewhere.

DQ9 and MHP3 will probably be the highest selling releases on their respective franchises. At least for a while.

My point is that I don't think MH hasn't lost the potential of selling 4M+ .And it should do it on 3DS (counting all MH4 releases)

First Week Sales:

[DS] Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition - 177,928

[3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition - 8,024

Time to make more Pokemon sequels, Tecmo Koei.

-Abysmal sales continue for the Playstation Vita and Wii-U SMH. As a portable gamer, kind of sad in a way that the west don't have any portable heavy hitters like that. I'll be interesting to see Pokemon numbers for sure.

-I do wonder how the numbers for Playstation Vita and Wii-U will look come January. No Wii-U titles released thus far has done much or anything at all to spike sales or interest into the console; the ultimate test will be the titles released over the holidays but its quite the uphill battle. Playstation Vita's issue is also a lack of market interest but at least they seemingly have titles that do respectable numbers. Main thing is the console itself is fundamentally contradictory to the (now) Western minded Sony Brand which basically equals DOA. If Sony Japan had any third party relations, they could hustle and court developers into providing more support for the portable so at the very least the Vita would enjoy a more consistent release schedule since Japan isn't seemingly as keen on indie games as Western nations. Nintendo has all of Japan's heavy hitters locked down so that shouldn't be Sony's concern at this point if they want to salvage the portable relatively speaking, they (like Wii-U) need to focus on getting their baseline up.

-I don't know if VitaTV will convert consumers to their portable models but given the current landscape of the Japanese market it seems rather unlikely. However, VitaTV could surprise and pull in good numbers which if it does then I could see Sony phasing out their portable line (ala PSPGo) and focusing on pushing VitaTV as a streaming device for PS3/4 games and the slate of older games all available for the platform.

-Globalization wise, Japan may get phased out of the market if this purchasing behavior keeps up.

I'm guessing it'll combine with the Vita. Because from the "what software will run on it" angle, it is the same platform.

Maybe you're right, stuff like this varies from company to company so I usually assume all products are treated as separate entities with exceptions for modifications until otherwise confirmed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think that is right, though I would argue that at the moment at least Vita might be in an even worse position because they have already done the price cut.

Long term though, if Wii U continues to go months in some cases without Japanese focused titles then yeah I see no real recovery even with a price drop.
At this point the Vita is largely banking on volume with a small number of big titles while the Wii U is banking on a moderate number of big titles with almost no volume.

While there's probably an interesting debate to be had about which is the better situation, they're both quite bad in the end and neither seem to be truly working for consumers so far.

I think they would do better if they could offer something unique like how the PSP and Wii were very different experiences than the DS, but at this point the 3DS has two screens, touch control, an analog stick, workable hardware for most any popular in Japan genre, and content for just about every notable interest in the nation.

The "be cheaper/more accessible with software" angle is also already taken by phones, so there's not much room to move in there.

At this point it's basically a variety of smaller interests like "non-Monster Hunter co-op action games" or "premium home versions of the Nintendo franchises you played on 3DS".

wrowa

What the Wii U can offer that the 3DS can't are local multiplayer experiences. The kind of game you want to play together with your friends or family on the couch -- think Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Wii Sports and the likes. These multiplayer games have always been Nintendo's best-selling titles and can't be properly replicated on handhelds or smartphones. However, the Wii U a) is not yet offering enough content in that regard, b) what it has is largely just the same-old and c) it's too expensive for a "party console".

Skyzard

Banned
It does. They want to play their games on 55" TVs with surround sound though, and not gimped ports or near console like experiences.

The same gamers that forgot the joys of gaming on a handheld, their old gameboys. What the modern version(... s) is like (killzone mercenary). Sony you tight bastards. Where's the groundbreaking advertising campaign to guide the sheep, ps4 is here now. Anyways. Steamboy will do.

What's annoying is that it's happening while people are realising how little they need their computers and laptops with a good phone or tablet.

Rolf NB

Maybe you're right, stuff like this varies from company to company so I usually assume all products are treated as separate entities with exceptions for modifications until otherwise confirmed.
Now I actually think I didn't understand the question right when I wrote this. I'm sure we'll get them tracked separately by MC, just like we get 3DS + 3DS LL separately, and PSP and PSPGo separately as well (while that lasted). It is a different enough model -- more different than those two precedents -- for that to happen.

Come to think of it, it's kind of weird that we got split tracking for 3DS vs 3DS LL, but never for PS3 revisions. If a bigger, otherwise completely equivalent system is worth tracking separately, why is a shrunk revision not?

sphinx

the piano man
sombody needs to use that gif in the next NPD thread with the beaten body being WiiU and the bad guys being all big 3rd party devs/pubs.

if someone manages to put the words "unprecedented partnership" and make them fit in the context, I will laugh out loud.

Come to think of it, it's kind of weird that we got split tracking for 3DS vs 3DS LL, but never for PS3 revisions. If a bigger, otherwise completely equivalent system is worth tracking separately, why is a shrunk revision not?

different model vs revision, the revision usually replaces the old system whereas the new model is sold along side. eg psp 2000 model became psp but psp go was something different.

sombody needs to use that gif in the next NPD thread with the beaten body being WiiU and the bad guys being all big 3rd party devs/pubs.

if someone manages to put the words "unprecedented partnership" and make them fit in the context, I will laugh out loud.

well seeing as theres been a price cut and the Zelda bundle the wii u will likely have done a lot better in the next npd so it wouldn't really be appropriate

What the Wii U can offer that the 3DS can't are local multiplayer experiences. The kind of game you want to play together with your friends or family on the couch -- think Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Wii Sports and the likes. These multiplayer games have always been Nintendo's best-selling titles and can't be properly replicated on handhelds or smartphones. However, the Wii U a) is not yet offering enough content in that regard, b) what it has is largely just the same-old and c) it's too expensive for a "party console".

By the end of the year, though, the system will have:

1) Taiko
2) Mario 3D World
3) Wii Party U
4) Wii Sports Club
5) Rayman Legends (lol)

In addition to NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, and a few other smaller family orientated multiplayer titles. I think the content will be there for families to enjoy themselves over the end-of-year period and with the 2 bundles, I think that the price will not be so much of an issue (but not completely resolved).

Also, I guess it made sense with the bundle, but I didn't realise that Wii Party U was launching on Oct 31st at retail now too. I thought they may have been doing an 'early adoption' thing for bundle buyers, but it seems not.

Sonic Racing 3DS didn't even release (I don't follow Wii U as closely but don't think it released either)

What is happening with that game? All the confusion (at first) over a reported 3DS version that later was confirmed to not exist.

Hey guess what, I WAS RIGHT!

Coming from a Nintendo email...

The Nov. 8 launch date for Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games that was recently listed in a Wii U notification was an error. A confirmed launch date will be announced in the future. We apologize for any confusion.

PR email

From Go Nintendo.

SHENANIGANS!!!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
By the end of the year, though, the system will have:

1) Taiko
2) Mario 3D World
3) Wii Party U
4) Wii Sports Club
5) Rayman Legends (lol)

In addition to NSMBU, Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, and a few other smaller family orientated multiplayer titles. I think the content will be there for families to enjoy themselves over the end-of-year period and with the 2 bundles, I think that the price will not be so much of an issue (but not completely resolved).

Also, I guess it made sense with the bundle, but I didn't realise that Wii Party U was launching on Oct 31st at retail now too. I thought they may have been doing an 'early adoption' thing for bundle buyers, but it seems not.

That's definitely true. In some way, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was trying to provide that right? I think part of the problem with the list of party games above is that they are pigeonholed into either a platformer or a pure party game (Mario Kart & Smash will be exceptions). I kind of wish they could have a multiplayer action game, like Four Swords Adventures or something for example. Pikmin 3's multiplayer is fairly fun though.

benao

Neo Member

Well the first to WiiU gifs weren't really funny, and were an evident reply to the first PSV gif.

This on the other hand, is pretty funny.

DaBoss

How are download cards sold before launch tracked?

So MH4 is at 2.2 million right now without digital sales is that right? Do we have any info on eshop numbers?

Media Create says that 100K has been sold through the eShop and 155K has been sold through download cards. Both of these numbers are for last week's MC numbers though.

watershed

Banned
Media Create says that 100K has been sold through the eShop and 155K has been sold through download cards. Both of these numbers are for last week's MC numbers though.

I see thanks. I know they track download cards but I didn't realize anybody but Nintendo and publishers/developers tracked straight eshop sales.

hongcha

I don't know why anyone would be surprised at Vita's low sales, but they're going to be anemic until the new 2000 models hit on 10/10. You will see a significant bump there, that, combined with the software lineup, should carry through the holidays. Ditto with the Vita TV on 11/14. But the next two MC charts are going to have crappy Vita hardware numbers because consumers are waiting.

Same deal with the Wii U. The new bundles with 2 games + accessories come out on 10/31 in Japan. Why buy one now when you can wait a month and get a bunch of free stuff for the same price? Wii U sales will stay anemic until then.

Kid Ying

Sales are low, but historically, its not a game with huge sales. Comparing with the results from sangoku 12, 8k for nobunaga is a dream. I think made a bet that conquest would bring new people to the series which probably didnt happened, but those results are much better than the ltd of some games in the series.

Top Bottom