• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2013 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

Between all the Vita bashing (actually, if anyone is good at making Gifs, putting Reggie, Iwata, Miyamoto, etc's faces on the GIF and doing a Wii U version would be cool and useful for future E3s), does anyone actually know why it's falling? It's had games in the top 5 for the past few weeks right? Wii U hasn't had anything and is stagnant/rising. I confuse.
The Wii U may be bottoming out.

With the Vita, I don't know if it's plausible that the success of MH4 and the 3DS is impacting it, more so than the other platforms. The target demos of the Vita and MH, given the game's history, probably align - and if that consumer is going to buy a platform this week it's going to be the one that has the new Mon Hun game.

A more pessimistic take is that the market for the Vita is already saturated, so it's seeing sales decline to end of life levels.

Agreed. From a previous post of mine:

Code:
DS	2005-12-29	Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day	Nintendo	5,060,499
DS	2005-05-19	Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day	Nintendo	3,829,480
DS	2006-01-26	English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills	Nintendo	2,203,669
DS	2005-04-21	Nintendogs (Labrador, Dachshund, Chihuahua)	Nintendo	2,037,232
DS	2006-10-26	General Knowledge Training (Kanshuu Nippon Joushikiryoku Kentei Kyoukai: Imasara Hito ni wa Kikenai Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS)	Nintendo	1,569,882
DS	2006-11-22	Oshare Majo Love & Berry - DS Collection	Sega	1,039,669
DS	2006-07-20	Cooking Navi	Nintendo	958,168
DS	2007-05-31	Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day	Nintendo	945,791
DS	2008-10-23	Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode	Nintendo	891,076
DS	2007-03-29	Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training: Motto Eigo Duke	Nintendo	753,107
DS	2006-09-28	Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin: Kanken DS	Rocket Company	621,885
DS	2008-03-13	Beautiful Letter Training	Nintendo	579,462
DS	2006-11-09	Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 200 Mannin no KanKen: Tokoton Kanji Nou	IE Institute	571,715
DS	2006-12-07	Kenkou Ouen Recipe 1000: DS Kondate Zenshuu	Nintendo	431,003

Casual/educational games were huge on the DS.

Yeah. Sometimes it feels that people have forgotten just how much games like Brain training sold on DS.

I don't remember that the sales were that bad,

Not to mention that situations are still completely different. Biggest issue for PS3 was the insane price tag. Not to mention that it had all third party publishers on board so it was only a matter of time before it started to pull decent numbers. Nintendo is soon pretty much only company making games for WiiU.

Mory Dunz

The Wii U may be bottoming out.

With the Vita, I don't know if it's plausible that the success of MH4 and the 3DS is impacting it, more so than the other platforms. The target demos of the Vita and MH, given the game's history, probably align - and if that consumer is going to buy a platform this week it's going to be the one that has the new Mon Hun game.

A more pessimistic take is that the market for the Vita is already saturated, so it's seeing sales decline to end of life levels.

Hmm...Yeah.
Looking at it again, does either system matter much right now? As in, one may be above another or below the other, but until one starts selling 20k or 30k consistently, they're both equally dead and irrelevant, for all intensive purposes.

I guess we just like to know who is in absolute last.

Anyway, I hope Wii U has a strong Christmas season, it actually has a good lineup so we'll see.

WW Prediction - 55K

Between all the Vita bashing (actually, if anyone is good at making Gifs, putting Reggie, Iwata, Miyamoto, etc's faces on the GIF and doing a Wii U version would be cool and useful for future E3s), does anyone actually know why it's falling? It's had games in the top 5 for the past few weeks right? Wii U hasn't had anything and is stagnant/rising. I confuse.
They're all shitty otaku games and the overall volume of titles pushed is low. It's like earlier in the year when certain people were confused about the negativity surrounding the Vita when "it's second place in hardware!" But, second place meant a paltry 10k units.

Mory Dunz

Good thing the WiiU has third party supp......oh shit.

Someone has to do this.

It actually has had it the second half of this year. Splinter Cell, Rayman, does Lego City count, Batman, AC4, Watchdogs, CoD, Deus Ex (heh), Sonics, eh there's a thread with games you can go to.

Do I think those games will sell well? Well, the "hardcore" games at least. No, not really. But for the moment it has it.

Busaiku

It actually has had it the second half of this year. Splinter Cell, Rayman, does Lego City count, Batman, AC4, Watchdogs, CoD, Deus Ex (heh), Sonics, eh there's a thread with games you can go to.

Do I think those games will sell well? Well, the "hardcore" games at least. No, not really. But for the moment it has it.

There is next to no Japanese support.
Besides Taiko, there's nothing else that can move units.

To the average consumer games are games, they don'tgive a shit if they're third or first party, the line up of games coming on wWii u over the next 6 months is pretty damn impressive

And it'll still be getting curb-stomped by the 3DS, so the gif will still fit.
Well... i made this gif for use in the future :p

wRFDx1w.gif

Busaiku

To the average consumer games are games, they don'tgive a shit if they're third or first party, the line up of games coming on wWii u over the next 6 months is pretty damn impressive

The average consumer does care if they do/don't see their favorite franchises on a system.
They also care when a system doesn't receive games for months on end, because there's only 1 publisher supporting the system.

Mory Dunz

Sonic, Mario, Mario & Sonic, and DK won't move units?

Unless you're only talking about Japanese 3rd Party big sellers. If so...who cares as long as these games sell well this year.

Remember, I originally said the Wii U has a good Christmas lineup, not that it's going to be huge and get a bunch of 3rd party J games like FF15 and KH3 in the next 3 years.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It makes me feel weird to see so many people butthurt at the hilarious 3DS beating dead Vita gif.

"replace it with all consoles!"
"replace it with WiiU!"

Cmon guys, as sad as it may be for you personally, it is a funny gif and would not work as well with the other options.

Relax haha

Busaiku

Sonic, Mario, Mario & Sonic, and DK won't move units?

Unless you're only talking about Japanese 3rd Party big sellers. If so...who cares as long as these games sell well this year.

Remember, I originally said the Wii U has a good Christmas lineup, not that it's going to be huge and get a bunch of 3rd party J games like FF15 and KH3 in the next 3 years.

Sonic isn't a factor, and Donkey Kong isn't making it this year.
Mario in general has also weakened significantly over the last few years, so it's still gonna be tougher sell.

And my post was in response to you saying Wii U had decent 3rd party support for this 2nd half.

Okay it has third party support.....just pathetically low amount of third party support (remember were talking about Japan here......why don't you try listing the third party games form japanese pubs coming to the WiiU)

Mory Dunz

Sonic isn't a factor, and Donkey Kong isn't making it this year.
Mario in general has also weakened significantly over the last few years, so it's still gonna be tougher sell.

And my post was in response to you saying Wii U had decent 3rd party support for this 2nd half.
Does Sonic not sell well in Japan? Actual question.

Has Mario weakened? Isn't 3D land one of the fastest selling Mario games so far? Isn't the NSMBU attach rate insane? It's already sold millions of copies. There's just nothing else to buy though to sell Wii U's. NSMB2 has also sold really well.

That is...yup, all of the recent main Mario games.

Okay it has third party support.....just pathetically low amount of third party support (remember were talking about Japan here......why don't you try listing the third party games form japanese pubs coming to the WiiU)
I wouldn't know. I don't recognize half of the non localized Japanese games on media create lists.

I was only talking about this fall. I didn't say the 3rd party games would sell. You said there was none, so I listed the games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet comparisons, as of September 25th, 2013

[NDS] Pokémon Diamond / Pearl - 812pt + 625pt = 1437pt
[NDS] Pokémon Heart Gold / Soul Silver - 800pt + 658pt = 1458pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black / White - 1394pt + 1227pt = 2621pt
[NDS] Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 - 822pt + 717pt = 1539pt
[3DS] Pokémon X / Y - 744pt + 738pt = 1482pt

[3DS] Tales of the Abyss - 86pt
[PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack - 116pt

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 169pt
[PS3] Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 111pt

[PS3] Musou Orochi 2 - 216pt
[PS3] Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate - 77pt

[PS3] Armored Core V - 318pt
[PS3] Armored Core Veridict Day - 65pt

[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 152pt
[WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 30pt or less than 30pt, since it's outside top 20

No comparison for Sen no Kiseki, due to just one of the four SKUs counted being in top 20.

Bonus stage number 1: Puzzle & Dragons Z is already at 40pt. Preorders started one week ago. It'll be released on December, 12th.

Bonus stage number 2: Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 (PS3/PSP/PSV) is at 12,504 preorders as of September, 15th. It'll be released on October 24th.

NotLiquid

It makes me feel weird to see so many people butthurt at the hilarious 3DS beating dead Vita gif.

"replace it with all consoles!"
"replace it with WiiU!"

Cmon guys, as sad as it may be for you personally, it is a funny gif and would not work as well with the other options.

Relax haha

I leave the thread for a couple of hours and now I actually kind of regret capturing the original .gif if I knew all of this would have happened :(

It's never been that big in Japan, actually. Might come with the fact that it Sonic was always originally targeted at a very western user base. These days though Sonic's biggest territory seems to be Europe. The incredibly limited Collectors Edition for Generations was only released there for example.

I don't see the Mario brand having "weakened", especially with the massive tie ratio that NSMBU had during Wii U's infancy. It seemed to imply to me at least that a vast majority of people bought a Wii U simply for that game.

Has Mario weakened? Isn't 3D land one of the fastest selling Mario games so far?Isn't the NSMBU attach rate insane? It's already sold millions of copies. There's just nothing else to buy though to sell Wii U's. NSMB2 has also sold really well.

That is...yup, all of the recent main Mario games.

I wouldn't know. I don't recognize half of the non localized Japanese games on media create lists.

I was only talking about this fall. I didn't say the 3rd party games would sell. You said there was none, so I listed the games.

It has insane attach rate because insanely low WiiU hardware sales. NSMB Wii sold more in Japan than NSMBU has sold worldwide.

What was DS LTD when Diamond/Pearl released?

DS Release and D/P: 1 year, 9 months, 24 days

3DS Release and X/Y: 2 years, 7 months, 16 days

Edit Read that as Time to release for some reason. Best I could find was 9.24 Million Sold before release of D/P in Japan, 26.82 Worldwide

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hilarious that someone felt there just had to be a Wii U gif after the Vita one :D

Ok ok, the universe is now in balance

Wii U's lineup is weak no doubt about it. Sonic is irrelevant. Wind Waker looks to do nothing. DK looks to not even come out. The Wii Fit U and Party bundle could be helpful, but I still have doubts. Taiko and 3D World are the biggest games and there is no evidence 3D World will do better than NSMBU

BriBri

Sonic Racing 3DS didn't even release (I don't follow Wii U as closely but don't think it released either)
I haven't even seen Sochi listed for JP yet, nada on Amazon.

Seemingly out on Nov 8th in NA (just a note via Wii U notifications, no PR or nothing, I call SHENANIGANS!
What is happening with that game? All the confusion (at first) over a reported 3DS version that later was confirmed to not exist.

Mory Dunz

Ln1eQuR0WBLD.gif

My first gif....go easy on me >.<
Good, but Who's the one doing the punching? You missed one.
It has insane attach rate because insanely low WiiU hardware sales. NSMB Wii sold more in Japan than NSMBU has sold worldwide.
Low wii u sales doesn't force people to buy Mario. Nsmbu is probably what is selling the wii u at all. And obviously nsmbwii has sold a lot. Dumb comparison...

Low wii u sales doesn't force people to buy Mario. Nsmbu is probably what is selling the wii u at all. And obviously nsmbwii has sold a lot. Dumb comparison...

Heh. The best comparison you can get is comparing prequel and sequel with each other. It exactly shows that Mario won't save WiiU.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wii U's lineup is weak no doubt about it. Sonic is irrelevant. Wind Waker looks to do nothing. DK looks to not even come out. The Wii Fit U and Party bundle could be helpful, but I still have doubts. Taiko and 3D World are the biggest games and there is no evidence 3D World will do better than NSMBU

It's hard to bring evidence for a speculation about future sales. But I agree that nothing indicates that it will do better than NSMBU.

Mory Dunz

Heh. The best comparison you can get is comparing prequel and sequel with each other. It exactly shows that Mario won't save WiiU.
Sigh...
The game is still selling. It's been less than a year. It's selling well numbers wise. Nsmbwii came out during the wiis prime an has been on the market for longer. (Do I really have to say the obvious?)

Why not compare the games at the same times in their lives?

Sigh...
The game is still selling. It's been less than a year. It's selling well numbers wise. Nsmbwii came out during the wiis prime an has been on the market for longer. (Do I really have to say the obvious?)

It's worldwide sales (shipments) would still be beaten by Japan's first 2 weeks of actual sales.

It doesn't need to do better

So why exactly are Wii U sales going to get any better then?

Great debut gif.

Thank you :)

Nintendo? I don't know

Did the Vita gif really irked you that much? Lol

I'm sorry if my gif offended you. I just wanted to try to make one.

So you're telling me that 3D World will save the Wii U as 3D Land saved the 3DS?
3D land saved 3DS? Eh. it was combination of many more things. WiiU would dream to be in same position as 3DS was before 3D land but instead it's in same position as Vita. Nothing will save these consoles.

Sigh...

Do I really have to say obvious? NSMBWii was one of the best selling games on Wii and now its sequel on WiiU is selling tenfold less and not really moving hardware. It exactly shows that it was not Mario that sold Wiis it was more like that expanded Wii hardware base helped Mario to sell. Mario 3D World is not going to save WiiU. Also your last line is really not making comparison any better. NSMBWii sold insane amounts during its first month and still continued to sell for years.

Sandfox

The Vita was on a downward spiral before the new model and Vita TV were announced so I'm not really expecting much to change. Next week should be interesting though.

antonz

So, you think the MH4 sales could top MHP3rd's?

Why not? Its heavily supply constrained right now and based on what can be extrapolated it has likely sold at least a few hundred thousand digital copies. It has the holiday season ahead of it to bump sales etc.

At this point we cant even begin to know how MH4 will end up until supply is plentiful

Top Bottom