• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21)

crinale

This is how I feel. They're a studio that keeps getting large scale contracts even though they have a history of making games which are unpopular. That's catching a lot of breaks, frankly.

If they really are making MGR2 or something close then they sure would have lot of breathing space.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think it should be pointed out just how expensive Bayo2 is due to Bayo1 being included, think it's the only region to reflect that, everywhere else it's normal price.

I don't know how much Bayo1 was on PS360, but I'd assume far less.

Now it's a question how much more it could've sold without Bayo1 and at a cheaper price.
Amazon.co.jp has the list price for Bayonetta 1 and 2 at basically the same price (about 8200 yen). Garaph.info lists Bayonetta 1 at 7980 yen, so i dont think Bayonetta 1 was much cheaper compared to Bayonetta 2.

EDIT: Already mentioned.

Frodo

I was expecting Bayonetta 2 to stay close to the 20k range. So... better than expected. Wii U even had a minor bump.

Hopefully it will have some legs. *fingers crossed*

Bayo 2 took way too much time to come up. It was announced on september 2012, two years ago, the hype for it probably faded away, not to mention the awful moment of machine it's in.

SmokyDave

How can Bayo 2 bomb so bad ;_;

I mean, only 2% of Wii U owners bought it. What other games are the others so busy with?!
That's the bit I struggle with. I can only assume they're playing mobile games and that they've put the Wii U back in its box and thrown it in a cupboard.

Mr Swine

Banned
Fantastic numbers for Smash and good for 3DS! Everything else is not so good.

How much did brawl sell on the Wii as LtD?

CANLI

Yeah there are options to turn the text & subs to english in the japanese version.
WWQLhwm.jpg
Ohhhhh great! Gonna buy it this week. Oh wait I saw in the eshop that It's 18gb. I need to buy a hard disk.

Thank you!

Scum

I mean, only 2% of Wii U owners bought it. What other games are the others so busy with?!

The audience for these types of games have been non-existent on Nintendo's consoles for years. There's no one to sell them to. Add in the toxic nature of the WiiU, and you get sales numbers like this.

jonno394

So last year the 3DS managed to sell another 2.5million between the end of september and the end of 2013. It had plenty of big titles last year, none more so than Pokemon X and Y and Monster Hunter 4.

How much do we think the 3DS can realistically move on the back of the Pokemon remakes, Monster Hunter 4G, the (hopefully) continued sales of Smash and the New 3DS models?

Neither. It's the WiiU which is dead right now. It would probably do fine on the PS3 if it came out right now. PS4... more debatable.

didn't DMC and ninja gaiden 3 bomb on ps3? even baynetta 2 would never have been made if it wasn't funded by Nintendo. i really think the action genre needs to step up with a huge upgrade in graphics/art style, and a bigger more explorable world, cause they seem to be phasing out, unless i'm wrong about ninja gaiden 3 and DMC bombing.

Wii U owners are alienated toward non-Nintendo games or even non-legacy Nintendo titles.

It's a very serious problem is facing with it's current audience.

NotLiquid

That came at the cost of a Wii U bump, though.

I don't think the 3DS is going to impact on Smash Wii U's thunder that much since the latter is launching near the holidays, where Nintendo has historically always seen huge bumps. It's rather smart to get the 3DS version out now and let it push it's worth while the Wii U version will ride the waves of the holiday uptick. It ought to be fine in the grand scheme of things.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
So last year the 3DS managed to sell another 2.5million between the end of september and the end of 2013. It had plenty of big titles last year, none more so that Pokemon X and Y and Monster Hunter 4.

How much do we think the 3DS can realistically move on the back of the Pokemon remakes, Monster Hunter 4G, the (hopefully) continued sales of Smash and the New 3DS models?

1.5-2 million seems doable.

Was sectretly hoping for smaller PS4 drop but this was kinda expected. Next week it's battling against WiiU again in under 7k club. Vita is heading there also soon if it doesn't get any new titles. Outside of 3DS pretty crappy sales all around.

Kriken

Sad at the Bayo 2 numbers, I expected it to bomb a bit worse (20k) but can't reach at least 50k? Well maybe it can reach over 75k LTD in the end...
:(

This is how I feel. They're a studio that keeps getting large scale contracts even though they have a history of making games which are unpopular. That's catching a lot of breaks, frankly.

The only problem is that it's going to catch up to them at some point. What's been their most successful game? It's either Bayo1 or MGR, right? And had nintendo not swooped in to salvage Bayo2, it wouldn't have even happened.

They're doing that avatar game, and MS has them working on Scalebound, but i start worrying that if this keeps up we'll be looking at them doing licensed mobile games in 2-3 years.

The only problem is that it's going to catch up to them at some point. What's been their most successful game? It's either Bayo1 or MGR, right? And had nintendo not swooped in to salvage Bayo2, it wouldn't have even happened.

They're doing that avatar game, and MS has them working on Scalebound, but i start worrying that if this keeps up we'll be looking at them doing licensed mobile games in 2-3 years.

Is MGR really regarded as bomba? At least in Japan it sold rather well.

Wii U owners are alienated toward non-Nintendo games or even non-legacy Nintendo titles.

I've read on various Nintendo websites that Nintendo fans will buy exclusive Wii U games. So much for that. Perhaps Bayo will fair better in the West.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think for a really short turnaround project, MGR did well enough for Konami to at least humor another one, but that might be all that's left of Platinum's sequelable line-up for released games.

Frankly, given how poorly so many of their games have performed, it's a wonder they aren't already.

And it pisses me off because their games are awesome.

Astral Dog

You have to consider that even Nintendo games have not been doing well on the system, the Wii U lacks a reliable audience,of any kind,this is basically a niche game for a niche console

saichi

I think it's the opposite. They seem to be able to get first parties to fund pretty ambitious titles with original ideas even when the market is cratering for such titles with little hope for the publisher to recoup the cost. They still get paid, the games still get made. Of course the concern now is what it means in the future.

It's interesting that Platinum and L5 are like 2 opposite.

One keeps getting fund to make ambitious titles that don't sell yet GAF loves the company and think it's unlucky their titles don't sell.

One keeps coming up with good ideas and making million selling franchises yet GAF thinks they are lucky.

What were those games? It currently only has 1 game in the top 20.

That actually outlines the issue with VITA games. Even when it gets more flow of games coming out, it doesn't stay on the chart long so when someone checks, there is always only a couple VITA titles on the chart which feels like it doesn't have enough games released.

jett

D-Member
Yo-kai Watch is just a pokemon ripoff, right? I guess that's the secret to success in Japan! That and musou-ifying everything.

Wonder how big the budget was for it.

Well SEGA wasn't happy with those sales and the sales for Bayonetta 2 would likely be a fraction of what it did on ps360.

Its because the audience for hack and slash games is not on WiiU and also fans of Bayonetta may have abandoned the franchise after 2 was announced a WiiU exclusive.

It's interesting that Platinum and L5 are like 2 opposite.

One keeps getting fund to make ambitious titles that don't sell yet GAF loves the company and think it's unlucky their titles don't sell.

One keeps coming up with good ideas and making million selling franchises yet GAF thinks they are lucky.

After YW, it's been crystal clear Level-5 know how to make a successful IP.

Replicant

FLOPnetta 2 is here!

EDIT: Dear LORD. I didn't even notice X-Flop One's number since everything else is so low. But that's just.....tragic. Wonder if it can drop to less than 1k?

Ty4on

So last year the 3DS managed to sell another 2.5million between the end of september and the end of 2013. It had plenty of big titles last year, none more so than Pokemon X and Y and Monster Hunter 4.

2.5 million? Last year's YTD in this week was just shy of 3 million and the final YTD was 4.9 million.

Perhaps you included all of September.

sörine

Banned
I think for a really short turnaround project, MGR did well enough for Konami to at least humor another one, but that might be all that's left of Platinum's sequelable line-up for released games.
Although the commercial success obviously isn't there Nintendo was pretty pleased with the process of actually working with Platinum. I could see Nintendo contracting them again although this time probably only for an established Nintendo IP like Star Fox, Metroid or something.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd be curious to see digital sales for Smash, btw, great numbers for the game. same for YW2. Bombanetta hurts less than pre-orders let us imagine but still disappointing (I was looking for 100k ltd withou bargain bins), I don't get why the 3ds is higher this week, while PS4 confirms what I was saying a couple of weeks ago "against" the Wii U.

crinale

Yo-kai Watch is just a pokemon ripoff, right? I guess that's the secret to success in Japan! That and musou-ifying everything.

It really isn't that close. Of course the marketing style is really mimicking Pokemon but that goes to most of successful IPs in Japan.
(Most importantly lots of Dentsu backup is required for IP to be successful, that many other failed IPs lacked).

Wow, with sales like this, 3DS will probably dominate the holidays once again. I can see it sell another 2.5 million units.

The things it has going for it are pretty huge:

- New 3DS model
- Youkai Watch
- Super Smash Bros.
- Pokemon
- Monster Hunter

All set for more success!

duckroll

didn't DMC and ninja gaiden 3 bomb on ps3? even baynetta 2 would never have been made if it wasn't funded by Nintendo. i really think the action genre needs to step up with a huge upgrade in graphics/art style, and a bigger more explorable world, cause they seem to be phasing out, unless i'm wrong about ninja gaiden 3 and DMC bombing.

What? DmC didn't bomb. It sold 182k on PS3. MGR did 470k on PS3. Action games are still well and alive. Ninja Gaiden 3 totally bombed because no one in Japan really cares about Ninja Gaiden. The series never did well in Japan.

SerTapTap

How do those sales compare to Bayo 1 in Japan? How much slack can we expect rest of world to take over? I know it's not going to sell great, just wondering.

Poor Xbox. I honestly wonder if they'll recoup their investment, seems like they had a fairly serious presence considering the actual sales? TGS booths, launch parties. I'd have expected something similar to the Ouya retail presence.

It's hardly the first Pokemon clone, first I've heard reaching remotely this level of success though. Musou is probably done because it's a highly reusable engine and incredibly cross-over friendly. Any game with combat, characters and enemies could be made into Mosou.

Anth0ny

I bet a lot of people have sold their Wii U's at this point. Or, it's gathering dust in their closet.

Also, it's Bayonetta. Even if they sold it on PS2 in 2004 it probably would have sold poorly.

Top Bottom