• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2014 (Sep 15 - Sep 21)

zeromcd73

Wow, with sales like this, 3DS will probably dominate the holidays once again. I can see it sell another 2.5 million units.

The things it has going for it are pretty huge:

- New 3DS model
- Youkai Watch
- Super Smash Bros.
- Pokemon
- Monster Hunter

All set for more success!
Don't forget Final Fantasy Explorers. SE seem to have high expectations for that.

Scum

sörine;131455679 said:
Although the commercial success obviously isn't there Nintendo was pretty pleased with the process of actually working with Platinum. I could see Nintendo contracting them again although this time probably only for an established Nintendo IP like Star Fox, Metroid or something.

Star Fox or Nazo no Murasame Jō, pls.

assets-images-gawker-2008-07-lowered-expectations.jpg

gtj1092

For PS4 selling so much last week mainly because of Destiny hype and not the bundle hype died really fast, didn't it?

3DS Smash could clear Brawl LTD before the end of the year. Online sales must be very big.

So are they sold out of bundles? Also did destiny only sale 23K units last week and no black units were sold at all? Maybe it was a combination of new hyped game and new color.

ChaosXVI

Well..maybe good word of mouth will help Bayo 2 keep selling, but I'm really hoping it completely smashes all sales expectations in NA, if it can make it to a million I'm sure that'd be enough for Nintendo to see it as a success.

crinale

So are they sold out of bundles? Also did destiny only sale 23K units last week and no black units were sold at all? Maybe it was a combination of new hyped game and new color.

Destiny bundles are pretty much gone at least at Amazon, Yodobashi and such.
And standalone white PS4 has not come out yet (IMO it won't have that much of effect, though).

CANLI

MK8 trunking along, I guess YTD numbers will end up around 900K.
It will pass the million before the end of the year. Same scenario as every year : Nintendo in crazy mode the last 45 days of the year and after that, 2 months of sleeping mode..

Bayonetta is on a Nintendo console, its Japan Ltd will surpass one day 150k

I bet a lot of people have sold their Wii U's at this point. Or, it's gathering dust in their closet.

Also, it's Bayonetta. Even if they sold it on PS2 in 2004 it probably would have sold poorly.

First Bayonetta opened about 200k between PS3/X360 which is decent start for new IP in Japan. It just completely bombed in west.

casiopao

God Eater 2
Persona 4 Golden
Tokiden
FFX
Hatsune Miku f
Sword Art Online
Soul Sacrifice

Okay. You think all Japanese men are both vita and wii owners and are pedophiles based on the above top seller list and the fact that yet another platinum game bombed on a failed system.

While i agree with u that saying all Vita owner is lolicon is wrong, that example you give is not supporting you at all here.

God Eater,Persona 4, Tokiden,Hatsune Miku and SAO had in a way young girl character or even Loli there.

And also, Soul Sacrifice is not doing well at at all there.

Darius

Banned
Also: PSV.

While it's doing better than last year, can its weekly average be considered disappointing? It's heading towards the 10k mark, which is actually pretty terrible for a hardware that has recently had a somehow constant flow of games.

I agree, it is doing quite bad and the only reason it was doing even worse in this period last year was the PSVTV+PSV2000 announcements that depressed last years sales until the launch of the revisions.

PSV will increase its year on year advantage to something like ~210k-230k units in the next few weeks, considering it sold only 3k units a week before PSV2000 this is doable, but after that it will have a quite worse performance for a while.

Well..maybe good word of mouth will help Bayo 2 keep selling, but I'm really hoping it completely smashes all sales expectations in NA, if it can make it to a million I'm sure that'd be enough for Nintendo to see it as a success.
It'll be interesting to see how well it does that's for sure.

If it sells a million we would be getting Bayonetta 3 on Wii U.

While i agree with u that saying all Vita owner is lolicon is wrong, that example you give is not supporting you at all here.

God Eater,Persona 4, Tokiden,Hatsune Miku and SAO had in a way young girl character or even Loli there.

Are you seriously thinking that a having a young anime girl means loli.....the fuck.

Nanako is not a loli, if you think that there is something seriously wrong with you.

sörine

Banned
Holidays for Nintendo will be huge as always, I hope they come up with a MK8 bundle so WiiU can join the party.
I'm starting to feel like it's too soon for a MK8 bundle. They should just do a big holiday advertising campaign for the game starting with the DLC release and it'll cruise past a million.

Nintendo does need a new Family Bundle for the holidays but they should throw in attractive titles that aren't doing much anymore (no need to sacrifice MK8). Maybe Mario 3D World and another casual/party title (Nintendo Land, Wii Sports Club, Wii Party U again).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

wiiu-triste-finestra.jpg

happier now? or do you prefer this one:

wii-u-pad-forever-alone-1.jpg

Bayonetta2 is a flop. Wii U is a mess.
But inthe previous thread everyone was pointing at a 20k debut. this is not better, but less horrible.
if someone is saying that it is good, that one is delusional

MK8 trunking along, I guess YTD numbers will end up around 900K.

I can't see that happening, unless the Wii U will really see a seasonal peak stronger and longer compared to last year. And I doubt that.

Wow, with sales like this, 3DS will probably dominate the holidays once again.

Well, in terms of pure competition, I don't think someone was expecting another console to be head to head with the 3DS this holiday, isn't it?

JoeM86

If it sells a million we would be getting Bayonetta 3 on Wii U.

Even if it doesn't, I'd say there's a decent chance of that.

Nintendo want to continue to push hardcore games. Nintendo are the only ones who seem to care about Bayonetta. Nintendo probably also had realistic expectations on how the game will sell. The question is how it'll do overall internationally, not on a floundering console in a market where home consoles are dead, and handheld platforms aren't doing that much better.

I honestly expected worse for Bayonetta 2. If you thought it was going to do over 200k and suddenly turn around the Wii U in a market that is just in love with smartphones right now, you're crazy.

Oregano

Don't forget Kingdom Hearts 3D.
Though they are obviously re-making that too, according to what Nomura said recently

Hmm, yeah probably not shoestring but I would say it's notably lower budget than Birth by Sleep. It had a much shorter development period.

Ratrat

ugh.
Are they aimed at adult men instead of teenagers and do they feature such characters as the main draw? I don't think people base their Tokiden purchase off of whether some random loli npc exists or not, but you are free to believe so. And that is a list of the top selling games. Soulsac is doing fine.

Nintendo want to continue to push hardcore games. Nintendo are the only ones who seem to care about Bayonetta. Nintendo probably also had realistic expectations on how the game will sell. The question is how it'll do overall internationally, not on a floundering console in a market where home consoles are dead, and handheld platforms aren't doing that much better.

I honestly expected worse for Bayonetta 2. If you thought it was going to do over 200k and suddenly turn around the Wii U in a market that is just in love with smartphones right now, you're crazy.

It will bomb equally hard worldwide. Well...at least in proportion to the number of Wii Us sold anyway. 150k LTD in the US would be a miracle.

As a sidenote it's kinda crazy that in the end GTAV ended up as the game with best legs on PS3 in Japan. Almost a year since launch and still charting in top 20. Can't remember any PS3 title charting more than couple of months. It has Nintendo like legs (of course still lower total sales). Maybe it has still small chance to million on PS3 alone if it gets some kind of holiday boost? With PS4 version sure million seller and first game based on western ip doing million in Japan since Crash Bandicoot 3 if I remember right.

Probably, but it may end up with moderately respectable numbers which could warrant a sequel on a smaller budget.

What is moderately respectable?

He did with Bayonetta 2. Sega, Microsoft and Sony said no. Nintendo stepped in and we had Bayonetta 2.

When did it come out Sony and MS turned Platinum down?

Well, we'll lucky they seem to have exhaust all their ideas for the franchise on Bayonetta 2, cuz nobody's backing a sequel with sales like that.

Bayonetta 3 would not be a 'push' for Nintendo in any way. It's not even a gentle breeze. I doubt Nintendo would pursue the series further unless Platinum gave them the rights.

It will bomb equally hard worldwide. Well...at least in proportion to the number of Wii Us sold anyway. 150k LTD in the US would be a miracle.

Well it seems to have basically sold 15k of just one of its 3 editions in Europe already, it's not gonna set any records but I could see it doing "relatively" well in the west

mejin

He did with Bayonetta 2. Sega, Microsoft and Sony said no. Nintendo stepped in and we had Bayonetta 2.

Probably, but it may end up with moderately respectable numbers which could warrant a sequel on a smaller budget.

True enough.

sörine;131457506 said:
He is for Xbox users with Scalebound. If Sony wants to spend the cash then PlayStation users will get another chance too.

Yeah, Scalebound may be their big project ever.

They are the developers of Legend of Korra too, but it's a digital only game I think.

Astral Dog

What? DmC didn't bomb. It sold 182k on PS3. MGR did 470k on PS3. Action games are still well and alive. Ninja Gaiden 3 totally bombed because no one in Japan really cares about Ninja Gaiden. The series never did well in Japan.

Hmm, the genre isnt dead, but i dont think its "well and alive", making an action game is still a risk imo, Ninja Theory games dont really sell that well, neither Ninja Gaiden, Platinum games mostly are funded because of their quality, im not sure if i can count Dragons Dogma, but that didnt set the world on fire either, God of War Ascension also sold below expectations, if im not wrong, Darksiders also bombed.Of course, there will always be an audience for this kind of game, but very few big ips.

Unless you are talking about Japan :p then they did well for that market on consoles, i wonder how well much a character action game on a handheld coul do?

Ricky 7

Bayonetta 2 sold as well as Donkey kong CTF. That makes it sound a little better. xp

PS4 back to poop tier sales whilst Wii U struggles to get out of poop tier. Maybe Vita will join them next week?

On a personal level, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo continued to act crazy and fund games like Bayonetta 2, but you would think at some point they would realize that funding a few games like W101, Devil's Third, and Bayonetta is useless unless they fix the core demographic issue in the first place. But no I don't think there is a chance in hell Nintendo continues to fund this series. They're probably scratching their heads as to why these ventures aren't working out.

Usobuko

Banned
We are in a Japanese sales thread, no matter which platform you favoured, it just silly to generalize an audience based on vague interpretation of anime aesthetics.

Top Bottom