• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2011 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

BurntPork said:
So your point is that Capcom should only put titles on Sony platforms, right?

Wrong sir, you perceive my argument the way you want to.

I'm saying if you sell X million units on one system, you shouldn't exclusively move said game to another platform, when the userbase still exists on another platform.

It doesn't make sense.

I would argue that most of these games should be multiplatform, but the decision to make a gamecube resident evil game exclusive? That's dumb.

Putting Monster Hunter Tri exclusively on the wii? Dumb..

Monster Hunter 4 exclusively on the 3DS? We'll see, I guess.

BurntPork

Banned
galian beast said:
2.2 million copies for a port... If they came out at the same time and the results stood as they are, I would agree with you.

That said Resident Evil 4 was released, nearly a year later on PS2, yet still widely outsold the original version on the gamecube.
That might be because of the fact that it had extra content and the PS2 userbase was 5x that of the GCN.

Just a hunch.

cvxfreak said:
So the Wii version's sales of RE4 were most impressive of all. :)

Don't pay attention to Galian Beast. He's been banned in the past under different accounts (going back 6 years) because of similar reasons to what is going on in this thread.

I'm actually really impressed with the wii sales of RE4.

Banned for saying that you shouldn't alienate your userbase, and get lower sales results? Jeez... I'm terrible...

Boney

Banned
cvxfreak said:
So the Wii version's sales of RE4 were most impressive of all. :)

Don't pay attention to Galian Beast. He's been banned in the past under different accounts (going back 6 years) because of similar reasons to what is going on in this thread.
yeah that and UC are just insane.

galian beast said:
Putting Monster Hunter Tri exclusively on the wii? Dumb.
So what's your suggestion, release is on both Wii and PS3? PS3 Exclusive? Skip it and just make Portable 3rd from scratch?

BurntPork said:
That might be because of the fact that it had extra content and the PS2 userbase was 5x that of the GCN.

Just a hunch.

Again, you're ignoring the point...

You have Resident Evil. Which system do YOU put it on? Gamecube or PS2?

You keep making my point.

galian beast said:

I put it on Gamecube and don't announce a version with more content months before it comes out.

galian beast said:
See what you did to your argument already? You've already put an exception on it.

Many Japanese titles that would have performed better on PS3 have been released on the 360 and the Wii, to a determent to both. Which is my point.

Resident Evil 3 sells 3.5 million copies on PlayStation 1.

Capcom brings Resident Code Veronica to Dreamcast instead of PlayStation 2. It sells only 1.14 million units.

Later it gets ported to the PS2, and it sells 1.4 million units.

Resident Evil 4 is made on Gamecube. Sells 1.6 milion units. Later it gets ported to PS2 and sells 2.2 million units.

Resident Evil 0 was also made for Gamecube. Never released on PS2.

If you see these results, and don't question shifting platforms, you're kidding yourself.
I like how you use re4 as your example, the gc version had its sales stunted by the announcement of a ps2 version coming with extra content before it got released, and when not add all 3 versions together has sold 5.7 million, that's a lot more than 3 did

frankie_baby said:
I like how you use re4 as your example, the gc version had its sales stunted by the announcement of a ps2 version coming with extra content before it got released, and when not add all 3 versions together has sold 5.7 million, that's a lot more than 3 did

How many systems was the 3rd game on? I mean, your argument suggests making games multiplatform.

My argument suggest that if you are going to select only one system to put your game on, it should be where the fanbase already is, if not multiplatform.

Making the game solely for Gamecube holds no merit, just as making Monster Hunter only for wii or 3ds holds no merit.

Kazerei

Banned
galian beast said:

Put it on the less popular platform first, wait a year, then port it to the more popular platform. Obviously. That's how to maximize sales :)

gkryhewy

galian beast said:
I'm referring to the PSP game not the PS2 game.

Comparing it to the PS2 game is like comparing Grand Theft Auto 2s sales to a game instead of GTA3s...

But that's exactly what you're doing by comparing sales of a console MonHun game to a portable game, genius.

What is it about Monster Hunter that makes it such a foaming-mouth lure for fanboys who clearly have never played a game in the series?

cvxfreak

I don't get why Monster Hunter Tri is being argued. The fact it was a Wii game and not a PS3 game made it easier for Capcom to develop MHP3, all the while getting Nintendo to promote the game in the West and allowing the series to achieve its best sales in those regions to date.

Even if Tri was never made, I doubt MHP3 would have magically sold an extra 1 million units in Japan. And certainly a PSP release in the West would not have done much.

Result? Capcom has one game that sold 1.9 million and another that sold over 4.5 million, instead of one game that sold 4.5 million or 5 million or even 5.5 million.

galian beast said:
How many systems was the 3rd game on? I mean, your argument suggests making games multiplatform.

My argument suggest that if you are going to select only one system to put your game on, it should be where the fanbase already is, if not multiplatform.

Making the game solely for Gamecube holds no merit, just as making Monster Hunter only for wii or 3ds holds no merit.
And your argument clearly shows re4 should obviously have been released for the ps1

TEJ

galian beast said:

I guess they tried to build a GC RE fanbase with REmake, RE0, RE CVX, and ports of RE2-3.

cvxfreak said:
I don't get why Monster Hunter Tri is being argued. The fact it was a Wii game and not a PS3 game made it easier for Capcom to develop MHP3, all the while getting Nintendo to promote the game in the West and allow the series to achieve its best sales in those regions to date.

Even if Tri was never made, I doubt MHP3 would have magically sold an extra 1 million units in Japan. And certainly a PSP release in the West would not have done much.

Result? Capcom has one game that sold 1.9 million and another that sold over 4.5 million, instead of one game that sold 4.5 million or 5 million or even 5.5 million.

Cause g_b is mad that Nintendo consoles get games.

Kazerei said:
Put it on the less popular platform first, wait a year, then port it to the more popular platform. Obviously. That's how to maximize sales :)

Really?

Because I would combine the PS2 and GC sales and compare it to the PS1 game sales (RE3) and I think you would still be disappointed with sales, given the additional work involved.

If anything I would have put the game on the PS2 and Xbox, and perhaps the Gamecube as well, but clearly not a year before hand.

Very similarly with Resident Evil 5 on PS3/360, which resulted in one of their most successful games ever. Very similar with Street Fighter 4.

Boney

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I don't get why Monster Hunter Tri is being argued. The fact it was a Wii game and not a PS3 game made it easier for Capcom to develop MHP3, all the while getting Nintendo to promote the game in the West and allowing the series to achieve its best sales in those regions to date.

that's why I asked him what he would've done with Tri

also, what's up with the multiple accounts

Kazerei

Banned
galian beast said:
Really?

Because I would combine the PS2 and GC sales and compare it to the PS1 game sales (RE3) and I think you would still be disappointed with sales, given the additional work involved.

If anything I would have put the game on the PS2 and Xbox, and perhaps the Gamecube as well, but clearly not a year before hand.

Very similarly with Resident Evil 5 on PS3/360, which resulted in one of their most successful games ever. Very similar with Street Fighter 4.

I was half kidding. And I hope you're kidding too. You are crazy for trying to downplay RE4's success compared to RE3 and RE5. You mad that it was released on GC first?

gkryhewy said:
But that's exactly what you're doing by comparing sales of a console MonHun game to a portable game, genius.

What is it about Monster Hunter that makes it such a foaming-mouth lure for fanboys who clearly have never played a game in the series?

I've bought two monster hunter games on PSP. Not a huge fan of the series though. That said you're assuming that the game couldn't have done better on PSN than with the Wii's limited multiplayer connection.

Fact remains that if there was a system to put it on, it would have been PS3.

cvxfreak said:

CVXFREAK, the PS3 can handle the exact same game, they could have easily ported it.

How well did Tri sell in North America?

I don't think I said anything about MHP3 selling better. I'm saying it should have been on the PS3. Where I think it would have done much better in both north america and japan.

TEJ said:
I guess they tried to build a GC RE fanbase with REmake, RE0, RE CVX, and ports of RE2-3.

You could do that by simply making multiplatform titles and including the gamecube.

AceBandage said:
Cause g_b is mad that Nintendo consoles get games.

I'm not sure why that would be. I downloaded RE1-3 for free via PSN. But the only one I've ever bought was RE5. I think I've played RE in generally for maybe 10 hours...

I think putting certain games exclusively on nintendo consoles is a waste for those who might have purchased them on the 360 or ps3. I didn't think that was something that was so widely contested.

KingDizzi

Banned
Console MH games just don't matter, it was a very good business decision for Capcom to make MH3 for Wii. One important reason was that it meant assets could be used for the games that actually matter (MHP games on PSP) and also Nintendo went hard with the advertising for MH3. So Capcom got a really good deal. Can't see MH games being on console again and it was made painfully obvious with MH4 on 3DS, Capcom ain't going to make assets for Wii U, PS3 MH games which would cost a lot when the real money is in the handheld games.

3DS will be tearing assholes by years end, fuck I hope we go to the crazy 500k+ heights of the DS days again. :D

Kazerei said:
I was half kidding. And I hope you're kidding too. You are crazy for trying to downplay RE4's success compared to RE3 and RE5. You mad that it was released on GC first?

I've never played it. I'm not a big fan of the series.

Do I think RE4 would have been more successful if it had been released on PS2 first or simultaneously with the gamecube? Certainly. Do I care about the actual game? Not so much. Thought about buying the 10 dollar PSN version, but then I heard it didn't have move support, so I decided against it.

galian beast said:
Resident Evil 4 is made on Gamecube. Sells 1.6 milion units. Later it gets ported to PS2 and sells 2.2 million units.

Resident Evil 0 was also made for Gamecube. Never released on PS2.

If you see these results, and don't question shifting platforms, you're kidding yourself.
You also have to consider the fact that before the GCN version even launched Capcom made a big anouncement that it will be ported to PS2 with additional content than found in the GCN version. Considering GCN's placement and sales in Japan the sales aren't that drastic and it actually performed quite well.

Your sentiment and comparisons also don't make sense since you are comparing transitions from massive Hardware leaders to 3rd place systems. You can make tons of comparisons of PS titles that sold drastically below that of their PS2 incarnations. Also, comparing MH2 on PSP to MH Tri isn't accurate for plenty of reasons already mentioned. Also, you do need to factor in the current console landscape when comparing 1998 to 2011.

galian beast said:
I don't think I said anything about MHP3 selling better. I'm saying it should have been on the PS3. Where I think it would have done much better in both north america and japan.
Based on what?

KingDizzi said:
Console MH games just don't matter, it was a very good business decision for Capcom to make MH3 for Wii. One important reason was that it meant assets could be used for the games that actually matter (MHP games on PSP) and also Nintendo went hard with the advertising for MH3. So Capcom got a really good deal. Can't see MH games being on console again and it was made painfully obvious with MH4 on 3DS, Capcom ain't going to make assets for Wii U, PS3 MH games which would cost a lot when the real money is in the handheld games.

3DS will be tearing assholes by years end, fuck I hope we go to the crazy 500k+ heights of the DS days again. :D

Your basis for this idea is that monster hunter wasn't yet popular until the psp versions, and it's less than psp sales on the wii.

See my meaning. If the Wii got a fullscale Pokemon RPG, I guarantee you they would do better than the colosseum games that it gets.

I wouldn't look at GTA2 and Chinatown Wars and say that GTA can't sell well on handhelds... Luckily I can point out where the stories versions on PSP sold especially well.

wrowa

galian beast said:

Oh, now you are advertising multiplatform games? Let me remind you of what game you included in your earlier list. When you tried to detail how Japanese publisher are doing "brand suicide".

Resident Evil Code Veronica - Released on the Dreamcast
Resident Evil 4 - Gamecube (Remember the Gamecube 5?)
Resident Evil Remake - Gamecube
Resident Evil 0 - Gamecube
Genma Onimusha - 360
Devil May Cry 4 - 360/PS3
Monster Hunter Tri - Wii
Monster Hunter Online - 360
Monster Hunter 4 - 3DS

Funny. According to you it has been a bad decision to make DMC4 multi-plat. I liked it when people remember their own posts.

galian beast said:
Your basis for this idea is that monster hunter wasn't yet popular until the psp versions, and it's less than psp sales on the wii.

See my meaning. If the Wii got a fullscale Pokemon RPG, I guarantee you they would do better than the colosseum games that it gets.

I wouldn't look at GTA2 and Chinatown Wars and say that GTA can't sell well on handhelds... Luckily I can point out where the stories versions on PSP sold especially well.
I don't think anyone is argueing that if a mainline Pokemon RPG(colloseum and XD were full scale Pokemon RPGs they just didn't feature a new set of Pokemon) was released on a console it would sell better than previous console entries. However, if they did choose to release a mainline Pokemon RPG on a console it would more than likely sell significantly less than a handheld.

Jaded Alyx said:
Based on what?

Based on the PS3 having a similar demographic as the PSP, compared to that of the Wii.

Same reason why some games have sold better on PSP than the DS despite the DS having a larger userbase.

Different demographics.

Lord_Byron28 said:
You also have to consider the fact that before the GCN version even launched Capcom made a big anouncement that it will be ported to PS2 with additional content than found in the GCN version. Considering GCN's placement and sales in Japan the sales aren't that drastic and it actually performed quite well.

Your sentiment and comparisons also don't make sense since you are comparing transitions from massive Hardware leaders to 3rd place systems. You can make tons of comparisons of PS titles that sold drastically below that of their PS2 incarnations. Also, comparing MH2 on PSP to MH Tri isn't accurate for plenty of reasons already mentioned. Also, you do need to factor in the current console landscape when comparing 1998 to 2011.

Maybe the confusion is thinking that I'm saying monster hunter would sell as well on the ps3 as the psp. That isn't what I'm saying. I'm simply saying that I think it certainly would have done better than the Wii version.

I think we see that constantly when certain RPGs are ported from the 360 to the PS3 in Japan. While the 360 doesn't have the userbase of the Wii, the Wii simply doesn't have the demographic as the PS3.

Compare the PS3 and the Wii head to head. What mature titles have sold better on the wii in a japan than the PS3? While I'm sure it might have happened, I would assume that the PS3 beats it in that ratio.

wrowa said:
Oh, now you are advertising multiplatform games? Let me remind you of what game you included in your earlier list. When you tried to detail how Japanese publisher are doing "brand suicide".

Funny. According to you it has been a bad decision to make DMC4 multi-plat. I liked it when people remember their own posts.

I didn't say it was a bad decision, I simply said it wasn't the first time Capcom did this with franchises. I remember the post, I'd ask you to read it.

Lord_Byron28 said:
I don't think anyone is argueing that if a mainline Pokemon RPG(colloseum and XD were full scale Pokemon RPGs they just didn't feature a new set of Pokemon) was released on a console it would sell better than previous console entries. However, if they did choose to release a mainline Pokemon RPG on a console it would more than likely sell significantly less than a handheld.

See my post at 2:29. That's not my argument at all.

Truth101

Banned
There is an edit button for a reason, also

How do you use SSFIV and Resident Evil 5 as examples when the Wii never had those titles?

Also the PSP does not push more software sales in any genre more than the DS does.

Truth101 said:
There is an edit button for a reason, also

How do you use SSFIV and Resident Evil 5 as examples when the Wii never had those titles?

Also the PSP does not push more software sales in any genre more than the DS does.

Examples of simultaneous multiplatform releases being extremely successful.

Where did Kingdom Hearts sell better in Japan? The PSP or the DS?

Cipherr

Port begging, both thinly veiled or blatant, need to become bannable again. Its just, not enforced anymore since the MH3G announcement, and it spawns the worst worst WORST offtopic fanboy fueled worthless time wasting arguments.

galian beast said:

Your argument is weak at its core, and has really, nothing to stand on as is. You need to be careful, by bringing KH into this, you have brought SE into your little cherry picked argument.

Where did Final Fantasy sell best in Japan

Where did Dragon Quest sell best in Japan

You need to stick to the tiny little island of an example you have in Capcom, lest you find yourself cornered and silenced.

Cipherr said:
Port begging, both thinly veiled or blatant, need to become bannable again. Its just, not enforced anymore since the MH3G announcement, and it spawns the worst worst WORST offtopic fanboy fueled worthless time wasting arguments.

I never understood why it was made not bannable in the first place.
It completely derails the topic, as seen here.

Cipherr said:

Again, I couldn't care less. I simply question the business decision. Your response is based on your perception and what you would like to be my motivation. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it is not.

I can all but guarantee never buying another monster hunter game again, similarly to resident evil in the past, I find the controls archaic.

Cipherr said:
Your argument is weak at its core, and has really, nothing to stand on as is. You need to be careful, by bringing KH into this, you have brought SE into your little cherry picked argument.

Where did Final Fantasy sell best in Japan

Where did Dragon Quest sell best in Japan

You need to stick to the tiny little island of an example you have in Capcom, lest you find yourself cornered and silenced.

Final Fantasy sold best on the PlayStation 1. Dragon Quest sold best on the DS.

I'm not sure what your argument was here.

I think you should always put a game on the largest userbase, provided your demographic is there.

If you mean FF before it was on the PlayStation, there were other reasons behind that decision that you are ignoring.

I would ask you if the Wii is the best system for Dragon Quest 10. I would argue putting it on the DS, 3DS, or PS3. Certainly the PS3/PC if they were going to put it online.

You have to be smarter about this.

List me the top 10-20 3rd party games in Japan on DS and Wii. With few exceptions, the performance in sales still aren't there.

Square Enix has been successful, but I think people could argue that they would have been more successful if more of their attention was towards the PSP or the DS instead of divided between the two. Making games multiplatform on the other hand has generally worked for most publishers.

Kazerei

Banned
galian beast said:
I would cite Resident Evil 5 as an example of when that works. Street Fighter 4 as well.
But again, using individual examples doesn't make it a rule. And there's no reason for RE4 to have lost sales simply because the PS2 version didn't release at the same time.

What you're suggesting is all hypothetical. There's no way to prove it. But what we're sure of is that platform choice(s) is not the only factor in a game's sales.

galian beast said:

There's not alot of multiplatform releases between PSP and DS. KH:BBS and 358/2 Days are completely different games. BBS is way better than 358/2 Days, so it definitely deserved to sell better. Again, platform choice not being the factor here.

Truth101

Banned
galian beast said:

Did I ever say a certain series, I said a genre as a whole.

Spin-offs cannot be compared to mainline games, the DS had spin off titles which performed well. As far as I can remember.

You don't compare sales of Mystery Dungeon vs Mainline Pokemon games, it is the same deal.

Deku

Banned
Wasn't the reason for the Capcom 5 because of internal politics between Sony and Capcom ?

I'd say using any games announced in those 5 as an example of anything is fairly tenuous.

galian beast said:

There was no multi-platform Kingdom Hearts.

Kazerei said:
But again, using individual examples doesn't make it a rule. And there's no reason for RE4 to have lost sales simply because the PS2 version didn't release at the same time.

What you're suggesting is all hypothetical. There's no way to prove it. But what we're sure of is that platform choice(s) is not the only factor in a game's sales.

There's not alot of multiplatform releases between PSP and DS. KH:BBS and 358/2 Days are completely different games. BBS is way better than 358/2 Days, so it definitely deserved to sell better. Again, platform choice not being the factor here.

Where do you think platform choice matters? Or do you think it doesn't matter at all?

Truth101 said:
Did I ever say a certain series, I said a genre as a whole.

Spin-offs cannot be compared to mainline games, the DS had spin off titles which performed well. As far as I can remember.

You don't compare sales of Mystery Dungeon vs Mainline Pokemon games, it is the same deal.

I think unless you look at direct franchises, you fail to get a grasp on how individual titles would perform.

All of this matters in platform choice.

Jaded Alyx said:
There was no multi-platform Kingdom Hearts.

You read this wrong.

Deku said:
Wasn't the reason for the Capcom 5 because of internal politics between Sony and Capcom ?

I'd say using any games announced in those 5 as an example of anything is fairly tenuous.

No one has really any concrete details about what is going on behind the scenes.

Truth101

Banned
galian beast said:
Where do you think platform choice matters? Or do you think it doesn't matter at all?

I think unless you look at direct franchises, you fail to get a grasp on how individual titles would perform.

All of this matters in platform choice.

You read this wrong.

I never said it doesn't matter.

So, lets look at main franchises, what system had the best selling FF titles? That is a mainline RPG series, so does that count for something in your mind. Or, do remakes not count even if they outsell new games.

The DS and PSP have practically no multi-platform titles, so there is no way to directly compare sales.

Except the DS shifts software on orders of magnitude greater than the PSP

Also, looking at genres as a whole shows you the trend of that genre on a system, which is important in platform selection.

Honestly, I have no idea what you are trying to even argue. Because you aren't make any sort of coherent point.

galian beast said:
There are street fighter games released after SF2 on the SNES that sold significantly less..

Thanks for trying though.

Monster Hunter sold like crap on the Wii, more PSP titles came out, that sold amazingly...

Resident Evil sold like crap on the gamecube and dreamcast, came back to the PS2 ,sold much better...
SFA2? That was after the series had moved to PlayStation and the damage was done. Like your RE5 example.

Clearly SF never should've left Nintendo consoles, PlayStation killed it.

Truth101 said:
I never said it doesn't matter.

So, lets look at main franchises, what system had the best selling FF titles? That is a mainline RPG series, so does that count for something in your mind. Or, do remakes not count even if they outsell new games.

The DS and PSP have practically no multi-platform titles, so there is no way to directly compare sales.

Except the DS shifts software on orders of magnitude greater than the PSP

Also, looking at genres as a whole shows you the trend of that genre on a system, which is important in platform selection.

Honestly, I have no idea what you are trying to even argue. Because you aren't make any sort of coherent point.

I'm confused as to what you're saying here. It seems like you're being purposely vague to try and catch me in a mistake. Just state your reasoning, and stop playing games.

DS has more units sold, more games made for it. I mean come on...

lunchwithyuzo said:
SFA2? That was after the series had moved to PlayStation and the damage was done. Like your RE5 example.

Clearly SF never should've left Nintendo consoles, PlayStation killed it.

There were more street fighter games before SFA2 and after SF2.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers

wrowa

galian beast said:
I didn't say it was a bad decision, I simply said it wasn't the first time Capcom did this with franchises. I remember the post, I'd ask you to read it.
The "this" you are talking about is "brand suicide". So, how exactly does "brand suicide" not imply a bad decision? You also said, in the very same post, the following: "But remind me the results of all of the games listed except for MH4?" implying that all of the games you listed bombed because of Capcoms bad plattform decision.

wrowa said:
The "this" you are talking about is "brand suicide". So, how exactly does "brand suicide" not imply a bad decision? You also said, in the very same post, the following: "But remind me the results of all of the games listed except for MH4?" implying that all of the games you listed bombed because of Capcoms bad plattform decision.

The "this" was the idea of "betrayal" not brand suicide.

Why would Devil May Cry 4 be brand suicide? It's the best selling DMC4 game....

I said remind me how these titles did because I literally didn't have the numbers, MH4 obviously not being released before. Don't assume so much based on what you perceive someone is saying. That said in general most of the games on that list, didn't sell well.

Kazerei

Banned
galian beast said:

It's one factor out of many factors. Did MHP3 outsell MHTri simply because of platform choice? No, I think the main reason is the free local multiplayer. Did SFIV outsell previous iterations (after SF2) simply because of the simultaneous PS3/360 release? No, I would attribute that to the game quality, ability to play online, and the rise of professional gaming.

wrowa

galian beast said:
The "this" was the idea of "betrayal" not brand suicide.

Why would Devil May Cry 4 be brand suicide? It's the best selling DMC4 game....

I said remind me how these titles did because I literally didn't have the numbers, MH4 obviously not being released before. Don't assume so much based on what you perceive someone is saying. That said in general most of the games on that list, didn't sell well.
You never used the word betrayal. You used the word brand suicide.

Also, lol, making a game multi plattform is "betrayal"? You think that's a more reasonable point? It just underlines how much of a fanboy you are.

wrowa said:

Also, lol, making a game multi plattform is "betrayal"? You think that's a more reasonable point? It just underlines how much of a fanboy you are.

I put quotation marks around betrayal, because that is how is was deemed. Me myself couldn't care less. Haven't bought a DMC since DMC1. Not true. I bought 4 and returned it the next day.

I think it was in the monster hunter topic that I used the word betrayal, but that is certainly what i meant.

Deku

Banned
wrowa said:

I'm not sure about you but I'm an expert.

Opiate

I think Galian would have a far more convincing argument if he instead argued that platform consolidation in general is in the interest of third parties, rather than consolidation around the Playstation specifically.

He points out that some games like Monster Hunter might have been hurt by being on the Wii. I agree. However, this isn't because the Wii can't sell software -- clearly it can -- but because MH is one of only a few select titles that made the leap from Playstation exclusive last generation to Wii exclusive now.

Just as the Playstation 3 would have done better if it had MH3 announced for it, so too would the Wii have been a better software environment overall if it had a Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, etc. announced for it. The PS3 had all those games announced for it at or near launch.

The enormous third party success on the DS suggests to me that third parties can succeed virtually anywhere, as long as they move en masse and don't fracture their market. Splitting up the fanbases of Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, et al is not a good idea, because many of those customers are actually the same people. You can add other franchises like Tales and Metal Gear to this list, too.

I can imagine third parties picking a Playstation system, because they have had success there in the past, as Galian suggests. However, I can also imagine them picking a Nintendo system, because any system without Nintendo on it creates a fractured market in Japan. Any portable system that doesn't have Pokemon, Mario Kart, and NSMB is not a consolidated one.

I'm not suggesting which direction I think is the right answer, just that whichever direction they choose, it is in third parties' interest to choose it together. The strength of the software environment in the PS2 era was not because Sony systems have some magical aura that makes third party games sell better; it was because every single major third party was making their games exclusively for that system. They helped each other by all going to the same place.

Top Bottom