• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2011 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
electroplankton said:
Well, this shows how many predictions simply based on sales patterns turn to be clearly wrong. A series will decline if it has declined over the last two-three years? Probably not, and Pokémon showed this very well.
Pokemon's performance the last years was based on the size of the userbase. For a huge franchise smaller market leads to lower sales.

Chris1964 said:
For a huge franchise smaller market leads to lower sales.
This is well illustrated by sales this gen. Even just looking at million seller series between system transitions:

PlayStation 2
-Dragon Quest
-Dynasty Warriors
-Final Fantasy
-Gran Turismo
-Hot Shots Golf
-Kingdom Hearts
-Onimusha
-Pro Evolution Soccer
-Samurai Warriors

PlayStation 3
-Final Fantasy

Gamecube
-Super Smash Bros.

Wii
-Animal Crossing
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Monster Hunter
-Super Mario
-Super Smash Bros.
-Wii Fit
-Wii Party
-Wii Play
-Wii Sports

Game Boy Advance
-Pokémon
-Super Mario

Nintendo DS
-Animal Crossing
-Big Brain Academy
-Brain Training
-Dragon Quest
-Dragon Quest Monsters
-English Training
-Final Fantasy
-Inazuma Eleven
-Kirby
-Love & Berry
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Nintendogs
-Pokémon
-Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
-Professor Layton
-Rhythm Heaven
-Super Mario
-Tamagotchi Connection
-Tetris
-Tomodachi Collection
-Wario Ware
-Yoshi

BurntPork

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
Nintendo DS
-Animal Crossing
-Big Brain Academy
-Brain Training
-Dragon Quest
-Dragon Quest Monsters
-English Training
-Final Fantasy
-Inazuma Eleven
-Kirby
-Love & Berry
-Mario Kart
-Mario Party
-Nintendogs
-Pokémon
-Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
-Professor Layton
-Rhythm Heaven
-Super Mario
-Tamagotchi Connection
-Tetris
-Tomodachi Collection
-Wario Ware
-Yoshi
Damn! This must be a record.

So, we're probably going to see HUGE decline with Pokemon and Mario on 3DS, huh? Well, at least that moron from earlier is gone.

BurntPork said:
Damn! This must be a record.
Nope, the reigning champ is still Famicom:

NES
-Adventure Island
-Baseball
-Bases Loaded
-Doraemon
-Dragon Ball
-Dragon Quest
-Dr. Mario
-Excitebike
-F1 Race
-Famicom Jump
-Family Stadium
-Final Fantasy
-GeGeGe no Kitaro
-Goemon
-Golf
-Gradius
-Ice Climbers
-Kid Icarus
-Kirby
-Kung Fu
-Lode Runner
-Mahjong
-Mario Bros.
-Metroid
-M.U.S.C.L.E.
-Ninja Hattori Kun
-Pro Wrestling
-Soccer
-Star Soldier
-Super Mario
-Tennis
-Tetris
-The Legend of Zelda
-Twinbee
-Volleyball
-Xevious

If anyone's curious, here's the other systems:

Game Boy
-Donkey Kong Land
-Dragon Quest Monsters
-Dr. Mario
-Kirby
-Kirby's Pinball
-Pokémon
-SaGa
-Super Mario
-Tamagotchi
-Tetris
-Wario Land
-Yu-Gi-Oh!

Super NES
-Chrono
-Derby Stallion
-Donkey Kong Country
-Dragon Ball Z
-Dragon Quest
-Final Fantasy
-Kirby
-Mana
-Mario Kart
-Mario RPG
-Puyo Puyo!!
-SaGa
-Street Fighter
-Super Mario
-The Legend of Zelda
-Yoshi

Sega Saturn
-Virtua Fighter

PlayStation
-Chocobo Mystery Dungeon
-Dance Dance Revolution
-Derby Stallion
-Dragon Quest
-Final Fantasy
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Gran Turismo
-Hot Shots Golf
-Resident Evil
-SaGa
-Tekken

Nintendo 64
-Mario Kart
-Pokémon Stadium
-Super Mario
-Super Smash Bros.
-The Legend of Zelda

PlayStation Portable
-Monster Hunter

BurntPork said:
So, we're probably going to see HUGE decline with Pokemon and Mario on 3DS, huh? Well, at least that moron from earlier is gone.
It depends on how the 3DS turnaround continues. Generally though iterative platforms tend to do a bit less than their revolutionary predecessors and so do their top games (FC vs SFC, PS vs PS2). My hunch is 3DS will be very reminiscent of those.

lunchwithyuzo said:
It depends on how the 3DS turnaround continues. Generally though iterative platforms tend to do a bit less than their revolutionary predecessors and so do their top games (FC vs SFC, PS vs PS2). My hunch is 3DS will be very reminiscent of those.
Didn't the PS2 somewhat buck that trend hardware wise though? Also didn't it come out with software that out sold PS Best selling software?

I genuinely don't know but I always had the impression that PS2>PS in hardware and software, perhaps that was just a WW thing. I know that RE4 PS2 didn't exceed the PS REs and the PS2 FFs didn't exceed FF7 and FF8 but I think there were things even bigger in popularity such as DQ8, GTA, KH, etc.

Beth Cyra

Lord_Byron28 said:
Didn't the PS2 somewhat buck that trend hardware wise though? Also didn't it come out with software that out sold PS Best selling software?

I genuinely don't know but I always had the impression that PS2>PS in hardware and software, perhaps that was just a WW thing. I know that RE4 PS2 didn't exceed the PS REs and the PS2 FFs didn't exceed FF7 and FF8 but I think there were things even bigger in popularity such as DQ8, GTA, KH, etc.
DQ 8 Didn't outsell DQ VII in Japan, or at least I thought it ended at a lower number.

Lord_Byron28 said:

Nope, PS2 is less than PS1 in Japan for hardware and top software. Maybe total software too, but I'm not sure?

Among the million seller series on both (DQ, FF, GT, Mingol) all of them sold more on PS1.

Boney said:
wasn't it dawn of dreams? or doesn't it count?
I haven't plated Dawn of Dreams, but those who have done so, think it is a very good game, some call it the best in the series.

When was the last Onimusha game?
You liked what happened to DMC?

To say the least, Onimusha is still a very reputable series, and a righteous sequel, I believe, will sell a lot.

beril

lunchwithyuzo said:
Nope, the reigning champ is still Famicom:

How does the number of million sellings games compare? I remember there being some talk about that some time ago and the NES was still ahead then; has the DS caught yet? garaph has 33 million selling DS titles but I don't know where to find any numbers for NES Games

edit: just by counting franchises in your post it seems the famicom beats the DS. Still interested in the actual number though

Road

lunchwithyuzo said:
Nope, PS2 is less than PS1 in Japan for hardware and top software. Maybe total software too, but I'm not sure?

Among the million seller series on both (DQ, FF, GT, Mingol) all of them sold more on PS1.
PS2 has sold more hardware (the total PS1 production shipments for Asian countries was 21.59 million units).

We (or at least I) don't have reliable information to know with great certainty which system sold more software, though (Famitsu info for the 90's is limited compared to the 00's and Sony's shipment are for Asian countries, not just Japan).

Takao

Banned
walking fiend said:
You liked what happened to DMC?

To say the least, Onimusha is still a very reputable series, and a righteous sequel, I believe, will sell a lot.

I actually think DmC looks pretty cool (though I have my concerns about the framerate and some of the designs), but that's not a popular opinion, lol.

It's just been like 5 years since a Onimusha game. You'd think they would've brought out something since then. Even a PSP port or something.

beril said:
How does the number of million sellings games compare? I remember there being some talk about that some time ago and the NES was still ahead then; has the DS caught yet? garaph has 33 million selling DS titles but I don't know where to find any numbers for NES Games
You mean world wide? I'd guess DS would have alot more due to the massive userbase.

edit: uh nvm

Kenka

Do we have an actual list of all million-sellers this gen sorted by plateform ? I would like to know if any game actually sold more than one million on PSP. Numbers would be extremely appreciated.

Any source that I would work myself would be great too, thanks.

Takao

Banned
Kenka said:
Do we have an actual list of all million-sellers this gen sorted by plateform ? I would like to know if any game actually sold more than one million on PSP. Numbers would be extremely appreciated.

I can tell you the PSP million sellers off the top of my head:
Monster Hunter Portable 2
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

If you're feeling generous and add up everything:
Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Road

Kenka said:
Chris just posted a link, but the million selling PSP list is easy:

MHP3rd: 4.51 million
MHP2nd: 4.17 million
MHP2: 1.72 million
MHP: 1.12 million

Famitsu info.

Boney

Banned
Kenka said:

monster hunter?

beaten bad

Kenka

Thanks Chris.

Some numbers are staggering : New Super Mario Bros. has reached 6.27 million units sold. It's barely below the original (6.81 millions).

Road said:
PS2 has sold more hardware (the total PS1 production shipments for Asian countries was 21.59 million units).

We (or at least I) don't have reliable information to know with great certainty which system sold more software, though (Famitsu info for the 90's is limited compared to the 00's and Sony's shipment are for Asian countries, not just Japan).
lol, for some reason I had it in my head that PS1 was higher. Looking at sales it seems PS2 just eeked out ahead and PSP is surprisingly close to both!

I wonder if PSP could actually end up being the best selling PS in Japan? I mean, it only has about 4 million left to go...

beril

Kenka said:

http://garaph.info is an extremely awesome database for japanese sales figures, stretching back to the early PS2 era
It's managed by a sales age regular ( I've forgotten who, sorry )

I've been using it for years, long before I joined gaf

Also, speaking of PSP, what are the chances that FF Type-0 will become its first non-Monster Hunter million seller? I haven't really been following the game

DiscoJer

magash said:
Thats it?

That's why losing MHP is such a big blow for the Vita (and has spawned several threads).

And among the games that have sold close to a million (more like around 600,000) a lot of them are MH clones like God Eater or PS:p

lunchwithyuzo said:

My bad, I would've thought naturally since the PS2 is still selling well it would've outsold the PS in Japan, I guess not.

Takao

Banned
Chris1964 said:
You included Dissidia when you should have included MHP1.

Meh, Dissidia OG release + budget release + Universal Tuning release is deathly close to a million isn't it?

Then again, if you start counting that then God Eater, and PSP2 get close to a million as well ... But those offered a tonne more new content than the Universal Tuning Dissidia release.

beril said:
Also, speaking of PSP, what are the chances that FF Type-0 will become its first non-Monster Hunter million seller? I haven't really been following the game

None.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
beril said:
We are waiting for PSP's first non-Monster Hunter million seller since ever. If it doesn't make it there isn't any other big title left.

magash said:
Thats it?

Yep. That's how important Monster Hunter was to the PSP. It was the sole game that brought it back from the dead and sparked new life into the platform.

beril said:

Very unlikely.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I wonder if PSP could actually end up being the best selling PS in Japan? I mean, it only has about 4 million left to go...

Vita will probably stop that from happening. There isn't anything big left after FF Type 0 hits the PSP. Still 18 odd million is hardly a small feat!

Takao

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Vita will probably stop that from happening. There isn't anything big left after FF Type 0 hits the PSP. Still 16 odd million is hardly a small feat!

God Eater 2, Little Battlers eXperience Boost, Gundam AGE, and potentially another Super Robot Wars game. Unless kids buy PSPs by the truck load, those are unlikely to boost hardware much.

Takao said:
God Eater 2, Little Battlers eXperience Boost, and Gundam AGE.

I wouldn't consider those to be system sellers though. They're the kind of games that appeal to the existing audience. (Ahh I see, you edited)

Takao

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
I wouldn't consider those to be system sellers though. They're the kind of games that appeal to the existing audience. (Ahh I see, you edited)

Gundam AGE, and LBX target a younger demographic than the average PSP owner (even though both franchises have seen entries on PSP), but we'll have to see if the kids will migrate from DS to 3DS or from DS to PSP. Sony should probably do a PSP price cut this season to help spur sales as gifts.

Takao said:
Gundam AGE, and LBX target a younger demographic than the average PSP owner (even though both franchises have seen entries on PSP), but we'll have to see if the kids will migrate from DS to 3DS or from DS to PSP. Sony should probably do a PSP price cut this season to help spur sales as gifts.

Well, there is that cut price PSP that lacks WiFi that they could release in Japan (but then it wouldn't be able to play Monster Hunter in multi...)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Well, there is that cut price PSP that lacks WiFi that they could release in Japan (but then it wouldn't be able to play Monster Hunter...)
Isn't the main appeal to MH in Japan playing MH locally though?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Next week the new 3DS color concurs with 3DS passing the 2 million at famitsu and maybe there is an early hw report.

Edit: Nah, 2 million this week

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Chris1964 said:
Next week the new 3DS color concurs with 3DS passing the 2 million at famitsu and maybe there is an early hw report.

Edit: Nah, 2 million this week

Yes, 3DS will be at 2 million and more this week.
But I think we'll have an eay HW report when the Pink comes out ( 20th)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Vita will probably stop that from happening. There isn't anything big left after FF Type 0 hits the PSP. Still 18 odd million is hardly a small feat!
That probably depends on how Vita performs. I mean how many units did PS2 move after PS3 launched and how many system sellers did it have left to launch?

Road

Takao said:
Meh, Dissidia OG release + budget release + Universal Tuning release is deathly close to a million isn't it?

Then again, if you start counting that then God Eater, and PSP2 get close to a million as well ... But those offered a tonne more new content than the Universal Tuning Dissidia release.
The God Eater situation isn't comparable to Dissida's, in my opinion.

Trackers combined both the append disc and the expanded game versions of Burst. That is, out of 450k copies reported as sold, 300k may have been just the equivalent of a DLC, while the other 150k copies, the actual game.

lunchwithyuzo said:
The PS2 has sold 1.9 million since the PS3 launched. Even if we're generous with the PSP and say it sells 2 million, it'll still be behind the PS2.

Top Bottom