• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2011 (Sep 26 - Oct 02)

Opiate said:
I think Galian would have a far more convincing argument if he instead argued that platform consolidation in general is in the interest of third parties, rather than consolidation around the Playstation specifically.

He points out that some games like Monster Hunter might have been hurt by being on the Wii. I agree. However, this isn't because the Wii can't sell software -- clearly it can -- but because MH is one of only a few select titles that made the leap.

Just as the Playstation 3 would have done better if it had MH3 announced for it, so too would the Wii have been a better software environment overall if it had a Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, etc. announced for it.

The enormous third party success on the DS suggests to me that third parties can succeed virtually anywhere, as long as they move en masse and don't fracture their market. Splitting up the fanbases of Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, et al is not a good idea, because many of those customers are actually the same people.

I can imagine them picking a Playstation system, because they have had success there in the past, as Galian suggests. However, I can also imagine them picking a Nintendo system, because any system without Nintendo on it creates a fractured market in Japan.

I'm not suggesting what I think is the right answer, just that it's probably best for third parties to collectively pick a direction and head there together. The strength of the software environment in the PS2 era was not because Sony systems have some magical aura that makes third party games sell better; it was because every single major third party was making their games exclusively for that system.

This

Cipherr

galian beast said:

None of "That" is what you were saying at all actually. He makes a valid and reasonable point. Your argument carried a few key variables differently making your position ridiculous.

Essentially, a console getting all of the third party titles, big and small create a healthy environment for further third party titles on that platform because of the crossover in fanbases for so many of the large franchises. If the third parties split their focus on multiple platforms instead of heaping on one, the consoles are likely to be less healthy than they could be if the third parties focused their releases all to one platform.

That makes sense. And it makes sense for any platform, not just Playstation consoles.

Cipherr said:
None of "That" is what you were saying at all actually. He makes a valid and reasonable point. Your argument carried a few key variables differently making your position ridiculous.

This.

galian beast said:
There were more street fighter games before SFA2 and after SF2.

Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
Likewise RE started it's decline on PlayStation with RE3. Guess PlayStation's responsible for that series going downhill too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow, the thread literally exploded.
And I quote Opiate's speech, but not galian's one.
This.

Cipherr said:

Essentially, a console getting all of the third party titles, big and small create a healthy environment for further third party titles on that platform. If the third parties split their focus on multiple platforms instead of heaping on one, the consoles are likely to be less healthy than they could be if the third parties focused their releases all to one platform.

That makes sense. And it makes sense for any platform, not just Playstation consoles.

You're quick to assume someone has an agenda. I do not. Simply pointing out that the decisions weren't great in my opinion. Japan's 3rd party support is very fractured, and the decisions to put certain games exclusively on certain platforms is mind boggling.

If anything I would make games multi platform, but exclusively placing a game where the demographic isn't, doesn't generally work out.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Likewise RE started it's decline on PlayStation with RE3. Guess PlayStation's responsible for that series going downhill too.

There was a massive decline in the dreamcast and gamecube titles. Not so much with RE3.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
cvxfreak said:
I don't get why Monster Hunter Tri is being argued. The fact it was a Wii game and not a PS3 game made it easier for Capcom to develop MHP3, all the while getting Nintendo to promote the game in the West and allowing the series to achieve its best sales in those regions to date.

Even if Tri was never made, I doubt MHP3 would have magically sold an extra 1 million units in Japan. And certainly a PSP release in the West would not have done much.

Result? Capcom has one game that sold 1.9 million and another that sold over 4.5 million, instead of one game that sold 4.5 million or 5 million or even 5.5 million.
Plus about 400K for MHP3rdHD, and likely 1M+ for MHTriG... I'd say that making Tri for Wii first was clearly the smartest decision Capcom made in a long while.

Opiate said:
I'm not suggesting which direction I think is the right answer, just that whichever direction they choose, it is in third parties' interest to choose it together. The strength of the software environment in the PS2 era was not because Sony systems have some magical aura that makes third party games sell better; it was because every single major third party was making their games exclusively for that system. They helped each other by all going to the same place.
Pretty much this. We saw it with Famicom, SuFami, PlayStation and PS2. We also didn't see it happen this past gen, which is also when we've seen the Japanese development community really fall into crisis. I think Japan would be much better off today had all 3rd parties really rallied around one mainstream platform (DS, PSP or Wii) and really focused all their top efforts there. The fractured approach we got led to a fractured and riskier market basically everywhere.

Opiate

Why don't we stop griping at each other? I mean that for all involved.

It sounds like we have reached -- generally speaking -- a consensus. That's pretty good, and pretty uncommon for internet arguments.

Let's leave it at that, and not proceed to argue over whose fault it is that consensus wasn't reached quicker and so forth.

I say say this as a poster, and not as a moderator; let's all try to be friends here. I like Galian and I like Cipherr. Thanks to all of you for creating an interesting discussion.

galian beast said:
There was a massive decline in the dreamcast and gamecube titles. Not so much with RE3.
RE3 was a 1.5m drop, and that's not counting RE2's Dualshock rerelease even. That's comparable to the drops SF2T and SSF2 had (and the SF games went multi on PCE/MD too, somewhat attributing to their drops on SNES). Additionally these were upgrades, not full sequels. Upgrades have virtually always sold worse (SFA to SFA2, SF4 to SSF4, RE1 to REDC, RE5 to RE5AE).

edit: sorry Opiate, I'm dun.

Cipherr

Opiate said:

It sounds like we have reached -- generally speaking -- a consensus. That's pretty good, and pretty uncommon for internet arguments.

Let's leave it at that, and not proceed to argue over whose fault it is that consensus wasn't reached quicker and so forth.

I say say this as a poster, and not as a moderator; let's all try to be friends here. I like Galian and I like Cipherr. Thanks to all of you for creating an interesting discussion.

1124466336.gif

It will be very interesting seeing how the Japanese charts look in a couple months when the Vita is out. Sony could have a pretty strong presence on the charts for a while (unless the 3DS manages to match the success of the DS in Japan).

Mpl90

Opiate said:

NO, I WANNA SEE BLOOD!!!YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

No, joking. And quoting Cipherr's gif. :D

Jokeropia

galian beast said:
List me the top 10-20 3rd party games in Japan on DS and Wii. With few exceptions, the performance in sales still aren't there.
DS alone has twice as many third party million sellers in Japan as the PSP and PS3 combined. It also beats PSP and PS3 combined for 500k+ sellers.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Pretty much this. We saw it with Famicom, SuFami, PlayStation and PS2. We also didn't see it happen this past gen, which is also when we've seen the Japanese development community really fall into crisis. I think Japan would be much better off today had all 3rd parties really rallied around one mainstream platform (DS, PSP or Wii) and really focused all their top efforts there. The fractured approach we got led to a fractured and riskier market basically everywhere.
I think the DS had the vast majority of 3rd parties rallying behind in a DS vs. PSP, handheld situation. PSP had some really good exclusives and things turned around in it's last few years but it's not like when the SNES and PS2 dominated there weren't meaningful exclusives on Genesis, Xbox(Halo) and GCN(Nintendo games, REmake, RE4, FF:CC, etc.)

magash

Jokeropia said:
DS alone has twice as many third party million sellers in Japan as the PSP and PS3 combined. It also beats PSP and PS3 combined for 500k+ sellers.

There seems to be a huge misconception about the 3rd party selling power of the DS by some posters. The DS was an absolute beast when it came to selling 3rd party software.

Lord_Byron28 said:
I think the DS had the vast majority of 3rd parties rallying behind in a DS vs. PSP, handheld situation. PSP had some really good exclusives and things turned around in it's last few years but it's not like when the SNES and PS2 dominated there weren't meaningful exclusives on Genesis, Xbox(Halo) and GCN(Nintendo games, REmake, RE4, FF:CC, etc.)
Eh, I wouldn't say that at all. A bunch of the major 3rd party franchises prioritized either PSP and/or HD consoles instead (MGS, Musou, PES, RE, Yakuza, FF, KH, Tales, Gundam, Tekken, etc). That really only now seems to be changing with 3DS, but even still things are far more fractured than they were from 1985-2005.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Eh, I wouldn't say that at all. A bunch of the major 3rd party franchises prioritized either PSP and/or HD consoles instead (MGS, Musou, PES, RE, Yakuza, FF, KH, Tales, Gundam, Tekken, etc). That really only now seems to be changing with 3DS, but even still things are far more fractured than they were from 1985-2005.
That's why I said specifically talking about handhelds. There has always been a huge division between Consoles and Handhelds.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JoshuaJSlone said:
I wish, but considering the original only spent one week in the Top 50 (putting it probably around 5K for the week), I think the Japanese fans are lucky they even bothered with the second.
The game probably sold less than 20k LTD, we'll find out next year, but even for that small number it had supply problems. Since the sequel is also localized they must have met expectations with the first one and I guess a similar performance from the sequel would satisfy them again.

At the retailer meeting last week Mario Kart was the game that impressed most.

BurntPork

Banned
Kazerei said:
Put it on the less popular platform first, wait a year, then port it to the more popular platform. Obviously. That's how to maximize sales :)
We have a winner! The extra content can even cause double-dipping.

Lord_Byron28 said:
That's why I said specifically talking about handhelds. There has always been a huge division between Consoles and Handhelds.
Thing is, this gen handhelds became overwhelmingly dominant. And even so 3rd parties still sunk an inordinate amount of support towards consoles. Hell, they put more into PS360 than they ever did GB, GBC or GBA, despite the consoles performing dramatically worse than any previous Game Boy.

Even just console side though, look at the Wii. Despite record breaking hardware and software sales upfront 3rd parties never even really considered it for the most part. When it got any major games they came years too late to build any sustainable market and were clearly the result of Nintendo putting a heavy hand into securing them (MH3, SM3, Graces, DQX, etc). Sometimes I really wonder what the current JP marketplace would look like today had Wii had gotten a PS2 like commitment from 3rd parties.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mr. Serious Business said:
It will be very interesting seeing how the Japanese charts look in a couple months when the Vita is out. Sony could have a pretty strong presence on the charts for a while (unless the 3DS manages to match the success of the DS in Japan).
Strong presense of Vita at software charts with these releases and the releases for the other systems isn't happening.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
The game probably sold less than 20k LTD, we'll find out next year, but even for that small number it had supply problems. Since the sequel is also localized they must have met expectations with the first one and I guess a similar performance from the sequel would satisfy them again.

60fps and 3D combined=win.
And yes, seeing what PSX and PS2 did in the past, it seems that for major core franchises the best thing is to concentrate almost all efforts (main entries and well developed spinoffs) on a single console, especially because if you invest for a certain series only on a console, you have no problem developing games which prepare the audience for the big one. Dragon Quest showed this principle very well: remakes and Monster: Joker all did well, and then...DQIX is the best DQ saleswise.
Or MH: MHP2nd, 2ndG, and all the Best releases paved the way to P3rd, and we know what happened. Higher than DQIX.
So, spreading the audience through various platforms, especially if done with some not-so-well-done efforts damages brand recognition, causing a decrease in sales.

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
Don't pay attention to Galian Beast. He's been banned in the past under different accounts (going back 6 years) because of similar reasons to what is going on in this thread.

I thought the name was notorious. I think his username was changed to "Idiot Member" after one banning, or am I thinking of someone else?

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that the developers should give multiplatform a better chance on handheld. It seems to be really rare, so it doesnt seem to be proven yet how well it can do.

Truth101

Banned
test_account said:
I think that the developers should give multiplatform a better chance on handheld. It seems to be really rare, so it doesnt seem to be proven yet how well it can do.

Hand-held games are largely Japanese and I feel that up till that there were not a large amount of multi-platform games released by Japanese devs.

You also have to consider the fact that control methods for DS/PSP and 3DS/Vita are drastically different in variety, so it would take more time to make games multi-platform.

Chris1964 said:
Strong presense of Vita at software charts with these releases and the releases for the other systems isn't happening.

Sony will have 3 competitive systems on the market. Even if the Vita only charts a game or two a week, it will be strong when matched with the presence of the PS3 and PSP. Of course, if the 3DS truly takes off, it could push a lot of less successful PS titles off the charts.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu

1989.04.21 (Nintendo GameBoy) - unknown (3 days) - ¥12.500
00. [NGB] Super Mario Land (Nintendo)
00. [NGB] Yakuman (Nintendo)
00. [NGB] Baseball (Nintendo)
00. [NGB] Alleyway (Nintendo)

1990.10.06 (Sega GameGear) - unknown (2 days) - ¥19.800
00. [SGG] Columns (Sega)
00. [SGG] Super Monaco GP (Sega)
00. [SGG] Pengo (Sega)

1995.07.21 (Nintendo VirtualBoy) - unknown (3 days) - ¥15.000
00. [NVB] Mario's Tennis (Nintendo)
00. [NVB] Teleroboxer (Nintendo)
00. [NVB] Red Alarm (Nintendo)
00. [NVB] Panic Bomber (Nintendo)
00. [NVB] Galactic Pinball (Nintendo)

1996.07.21 (Nintendo GameBoyPocket) - unknown (1 day) - ¥6.800
19. [NGB] Mole Mania (Nintendo) - 11.830
28. [NGB] Bomberman Collection (Hudson) - 7.669
00. [NGB] Namco Gallery Vol. 1 (Namco)

1998.04.14 (Nintendo GameBoyLight) - unknown (6 days) - ¥6.800
-

1998.10.21 (Nintendo GameBoyColor) - 155.774 (5 days) - ¥8.900
05. [NGB] Wario Land 2 (Nintendo) - 28.373
14. [NGB] Tetris DX (Nintendo) - 11.074
00. [NGB] Hexcite: The Shapes of Victory (NEC Interchannel)
00. [NGB] Pocket Bowling (Athena)

1998.10.28 (SNK NeoGeoPocket) - 21.471 (5 days)- ¥7.800
06. [NGP] The King of Fighters R-1 (SNK) - 17.804
00. [NGP] Samurai Shodown (SNK)
00. [NGP] Baseball Stars (SNK)
00. [NGP] NeoGeo Cup '98 (SNK)
00. [NGP] Pocket Tennis (SNK)
00. [NGP] Puzzle Tsunagete Pon (SNK)
00. [NGP] Melon-chan's Growth Diary (SNK)

1999.03.04 (Bandai WonderSwan) - 102.655 (4 days) - ¥4.800
04. [BWS] Chocobo's Dungeon for WonderSwan (Bandai) - 58.905
06. [BWS] Gunpey (Bandai) - 36.148
21. [BWS] Densha de Go! (Taito Corporation) - 12.215
00. [BWS] New Japan Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden (Tomy)

1999.03.19 (SNK NeoGeoPocketColor) - 18.809 (3 days) - ¥8.900
14. [NGP] The King of Fighters R-2 (SNK) - 17.937
00. [NGP] Baseball Stars Color (SNK)
00. [NGP] Neo Cherry Master Color (SNK)
00. [NGP] Neo Dragon's Wild (SNK)
00. [NGP] Neo Mystery Bonus (SNK)
00. [NGP] Pocket Tennis Color (SNK)
00. [NGP] Puzzle Link (SNK)
00. [NGP] Shogi no Tatsujin Color (SNK)

2000.12.09 (Bandai WonderSwanColor) - 145.975 (2 days) - ¥6.800
04. [BWS] Final Fantasy (Square) - 147.173
16. [BWS] Digimon Adventure 02: D1 Tamers (Bandai) - 14.459
00. [BWS] Gunpey EX (Bandai)
00. [BWS] Rhyme Rider Kerorican (Bandai)
00. [BWS] Soroban Gu (Bandai)

2001.03.21 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance) - 611.504 (5 days) - ¥9.800
01. [GBA] Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 219.551
05. [GBA] F-Zero: Maximum Velocity (Nintendo) - 116.116
06. [GBA] Power Pro Kun Pocket 3 (Konami) - 74.549
08. [GBA] Yu-Gi-Oh! Dungeon Dice Monsters (Konami) - 61.325
11. [GBA] Kururin (Nintendo) - 57.145
12. [GBA] Mega Man Battle Network (Capcom) - 43.048
13. [GBA] Mister Driller 2 (Namco) - 42.525
17. [GBA] Napoleon (Nintendo) - 26.152
19. [GBA] Castlevania: Circle of Moon (Konami) - 22.224
27. [GBA] Konami Crazy Racers (Konami) - 12.063
29. [GBA] Monster Guardians (Konami) - 10.210
00. [GBA] ChuChu Rocket! (Sega)
00. [GBA] Play Novel: Silent Hill (Konami)
00. [GBA] ESPN Final Round Golf 2002 (Konami)
00. [GBA] J-League Pocket (Konami)
00. [GBA] Momotaro Matsuri (Hudson)
00. [GBA] Pinobee: Wings of Adventure (Hudson)
00. [GBA] Super Dodge Ball Advance (Atlus Co.)
00. [GBA] Winning Post (Koei)
00. [GBA] GT Advance Championship Racing (MTO)
00. [GBA] Fire Pro Wrestling A (Spike)
00. [GBA] EZ-Talk Shokyuuhen 1-6 Kan Set (Keynet)
00. [GBA] Boku wa Koukuu Kanseikan (Tamsoft)
00. [GBA] Top Gear GT Championship (Kotobuki Systems)
00. [GBA] Tweety & The Magic Gems (Kotobuki Systems)

2002.07.12 (Bandai SwanCrystal) - 30.692 (3 days) - ¥7.800
04. [BWS] One Piece: Grand Battle - Swan Colosseum (Bandai) - 22.675
14. [BWS] Front Mission (Square) - 7.989
18. [BWS] Riviera: The Promised Land (Bandai) - 6.420

2003.02.14 (Nintendo GameBoyAdvance SP) - 117.859 (3 days) - ¥12.500
02. [GBA] Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Square) - 225.120
06. [GBA] Metroid Fusion (Nintendo) - 49.680

2004.12.02 (Nintendo DS) - 441.485 (4 days) - ¥15.000
02. [NDS] Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo) - 120.062
03. [NDS] WarioWare: Touched! (Nintendo) - 117.677
04. [NDS] Pokemon Dash (Pokemon Co.) - 50.011
06. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers (Nintendo) - 32.272
08. [NDS] Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sega) - 27.062
14. [NDS] Polarium (Nintendo) - 20.203
16. [NDS] Life Signs: Surgical Unit (Spike) - 17.478
29. [NDS] Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco) - 7.773
00. [NDS] Zoo Keeper (Success)
00. [NDS] Mahjong Taikai (Koei)
00. [NDS] The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
00. [NDS] Zunou ni Asekaku Game Series! Vol. 1: Cool 104 Joker & Setline (Aruze)

2004.12.12 (Sony PSP-1000) - 166.074 (1 day) - ¥20.790
05. [PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (SCE) - 66.079
06. [PSP] Ridge Racers (Namco) - 60.163
28. [PSP] Armored Core: Formula Front (From Software) - 11.210
00. [PSP] Vampire DarkStalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (Capcom) - 9.695
00. [PSP] Mahjong Fight Club (Konami) - 9.393
00. [PSP] Lumines (Bandai) - 6.991

2005.09.13 (Nintendo GameBoyMicro) - 148.117 (6 days) - ¥12.000
07. [GBA] Mario Tennis: Power Tour (Nintendo) - 42.857
09. [GBA] Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon (Nintendo) - 30.206

2006.03.02 (Nintendo DS Lite) - 67.653 (4 days) - ¥16.800
03. [NDS] Seiken Densetsu: Children of Mana (Square Enix) - 105.534
15. [NDS] Doraemon: Nobita no Kyouryuu 2006 DS (Sega) - 15.986
24. [NDS] Magnetica (Nintendo) - 9.767
00. [NDS] Daikoukai Jidai IV: Rota Nova (Koei)
00. [NDS] The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (D3 Publisher)

2007.09.20 (Sony PSP-2000) - 263.538 (4 days) - ¥19.800
03. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus (Konami) - 88.940
09. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus - Deluxe Pack {2007.09.20} - 14.775
00. [PSP] Burnout Dominator (Electronic Arts) - 3.100
00. [PSP] R-Type Tactics (Irem) - 2.900

2008.10.16 (Sony PSP-3000) - 155.720 (4 days) - ¥19.800
03. [PSP] Yuusha no Kuse ni Namaikida Or 2 (SCE) - 62.224

2008.11.01 (Nintendo DSi) - 170.779 (2 days) - ¥18.900
02. [NDS] Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (Square Enix) - 73.779
13. [NDS] Personal Trainer: Walking (Nintendo) - 16.927
15. [NDS] Avalon Code (Marvelous Entertainment) - 14.893
00. [NDS] Vitamin Y (D3 Publisher) - 5.100

2009.11.01 (Sony PSP Go) - 28.275 (1 day) - ¥26.800
00. [PSP] Persona 3 Portable (Atlus Co.)
00. [PSP] Dissidia: Final Fantasy - Universal Tuning (Square Enix)
00. [PSP] MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (SCE)
00. [PSP] Echoshift (SCE)
00. [PSP] PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe (SCE)
00. [PSP] LocoRoco: Midnight Carnival (SCE)
00. [PSP] Disgaea Infinite (Nippon Ichi Software)
00. [PSP] Tetris (Electronic Arts)

2009.11.21 (Nintendo DSi LL) - 103.524 (2 days) - ¥20.000
-

2011.02.26 (Nintendo 3DS) - 371.326 (2 days) - ¥25.000
03. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (Level 5) - 117.859
05. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends (Nintendo) - 68.973
06. [3DS] Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Koei Tecmo) - 43.044
08. [3DS] Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom) - 38.557
09. [3DS] Ridge Racer 3D (Bandai Namco) - 34.663
14. [3DS] Winning Eleven 3DSoccer (Konami) - 26.222
23. [3DS] Bust-A-Move Universe (Square Enix) - 8.885
28. [3DS] Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (Ubisoft) - 6.326

2011.12.17 (Sony Vita) (2 days) - ¥24.980 / 29.980 (3G)
00. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf 6 (SCE)
00. [PSV] Uncharted: Golden Abyss (SCE)
00. [PSV] Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja (SCE)
00. [PSV] Yuusha no Kiroku (SCE)
00. [PSV] Minna to Issho (SCE) (online)
00. [PSV] Sawari Makuru (SCE) (online)
00. [PSV] Monster Radar (Sony Marketing)
00. [PSV] Ridge Racer (Bandai Namco)
00. [PSV] Katamari Damacy (Bandai Namco)
00. [PSV] Dynasty Warriors (Koei Tecmo)
00. [PSV] Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom)
00. [PSV] Lord of Apocalypse (Square Enix)
00. [PSV] Army Corps of Hell (Square Enix)
00. [PSV] Virtua Tennis 4 (Sega)
00. [PSV] Dream Club Zero Portable (D3 Publisher)
00. [PSV] Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (Nippon Ichi Software)
00. [PSV] Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works)
00. [PSV] Project N.O.E.L.S. (Arc System Works) (online)
00. [PSV] Browser San Goku Shi: Touch Battle (AQ Interactive)
00. [PSV] Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru: 11 Hitome no Suspect (ChunSoft)
00. [PSV] Let's Try Bass Fishing: Fish On Vita (Kadokawa Shoten)
00. [PSV] F1 2011 (Codemasters)
00. [PSV] Dungeon Hunter Alliance (Ubisoft)
00. [PSV] Michael Jackson The Experience (Ubisoft)
00. [PSV] @Field (Sonic Powered)

test_account

XP-39C²
Truth101 said:
Hand-held games are largely Japanese and I feel that up till that there were not a large amount of multi-platform games released by Japanese devs.
Exactly, that is the "problem" :) It hasnt been tried much yet, so it isnt really proven if it could be a good investment or not.

Truth101 said:
You also have to consider the fact that control methods for DS/PSP and 3DS/Vita are drastically different in variety, so it would take more time to make games multi-platform.
With DS/PSP for sure, but not so much with the 3DS/Vita, especially now with that 3DS 2nd analog slider addon. Both system also have touch screen. The only big difference is 1 screen VS 2 screens. But i dont think that this is really that big of a hurdle in most cases because many 3DS games just use the 2nd screen for input stuff.

Truth101

Banned
test_account said:
Exactly, that is the "problem" :) It hasnt been tried much yet, so it isnt really proven if it could be a good investment or not.

With DS/PSP for sure, but not so much with the 3DS/Vita, especially now with that 3DS 2nd analog slider addon. Both system also have touch screen. The only big difference is 1 screen VS 2 screens. But i dont think that this is really that big of a hurdle in most cases because many 3DS games just use the 2nd screen for input stuff.

I still feel it will have an affect on multi-platform titles. Sure both have touch inputs now, but the second screen still offers unique experiences that cannot be experienced on the Vita.

In that same regard I could argue that the uses of the Vita back touchscreen can be replicated on the bottom screen of the 3DS. I don't see how the bottom screen of the 3DS could be replicated on the Vita.

Truth101

Banned
Boney said:
Well 999's sequel is multiplatform.

That's true, I don't say it is impossible. I just think the differences in the systems abilities and in general the characteristics of Japanese devs it just seems unlikely tat there will be many multi-platform titles between the two.

test_account

XP-39C²
Truth101 said:
I still feel it will have an affect on multi-platform titles. Sure both have touch inputs now, but the second screen still offers unique experiences that cannot be experienced on the Vita.

In that same regard I could argue that the uses of the Vita back touchscreen can be replicated on the bottom screen of the 3DS. I don't see how the bottom screen of the 3DS could be replicated on the Vita.
The bottom screen isnt really needed in many cases because it is simply used for input controls. A straight port isnt possible, but i dont think it would require much extra work. Like if the bottom screen is showing a minimap and/or buttons for quick selecting items etc., stuff like this can easily be redone to submenus instead.

Honestly i dont think that we will see many multiplatform handheld games coming from Japan in the next few years, but i would definitely like to see it just to see how it would work sales wise.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Chris1964 said:

Were there any other news/impressions out of that retailer meeting? I seemed to have missed this news.

Truth101

Banned
test_account said:
The bottom screen isnt really needed in many cases because it is simply used for input controls. A straight port isnt possible, but i dont think it would require much extra work. Like if the bottom screen is showing maps or buttons for quick selecting items etc., stuff like this can easily be redone to submenus instead.

It's not needed in some cases, but it does offer the potential at unique experiences that wouldn't be possible on the Vita, without a bit of tweaking.

Also, you have to consider that for a lot of developers hand-held games are given smaller budgets and it might not be worth it for them to port it from 3DS -> Vita or Vita -> 3DS.

it would be interesting from a sales perspective though, as it would allow you to compare the health of the market on that console for specific titles. Which is something that has neevr really been possible before.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dupy said:
Were there any other news/impressions out of that retailer meeting? I seemed to have missed this news.
The news for white 3DS, bundles and release dates came from that meeting.

test_account

XP-39C²
Truth101 said:
It's not needed in some cases, but it does offer the potential at unique experiences that wouldn't be possible on the Vita, without a bit of tweaking.
It wont be the exact same experience, that is true. Correct me if i'm wrong, but so far most of the 3DS games have only used the 2nd screen for input stuff and quick selecting stuff. Some tweaking as you mention is all that it takes. It is at least a much less hurdle this time around compared to DS/PSP.

Truth101 said:
Also, you have to consider that for a lot of developers hand-held games are given smaller budgets and it might not be worth it for them to port it from 3DS -> Vita or Vita -> 3DS.
True, but since they havnt tried it yet, it hasnt been proven if it could actually be more profitable. On consoles, it is definitely more profitable in many cases, otherwise there wouldnt be that many multiplatform games.

EDIT: Mostly thinking about the western market then. In Japan, consoles exclusive seem to be more common. But there are multiplatform games as well.

Truth101 said:
it would be interesting from a sales perspective though, as it would allow you to compare the health of the market on that console for specific titles. Which is something that has neevr really been possible before.
Indeed, that is why i mostly want to see it happening :)

Galiant Beast said:
CVXFREAK, Pokemon sales continue to move in a downward spiral.

Red/Blue/Green in Japan - 8 million vs Silver/Gold - 6.91 million (pretty large decrease, but 3 versions vs 2)

Yellow - 2.16 vs Crystal 2.4 million (slight increase)

Silver/Gold - 6.91 million vs 4.46 million (large decrease)

Crystal - 2.14 million vs Emerald - 1.1 million (large decrease even when compared to Yellow)

Then the remakes combined sell to 2.3 million.

How strong is pokemon right now, and how strong will it be in 5 or so years?

Mama smurf... Mario is dying down extremely quickly... Although I am a huge mario fan (SMB1-3, SMW) Mario's popularity has more to do with being bundled with the original nes, and continued bundling throughout til the SNES. Had Sony bundled Jak and Daxter 1-3 or Ratchet and Clank 1-3 will all of the PS2s, you would see a similar effect. Zelda also has had a rough time lately. Majora's mask was a huge step down, being different with wind waker was a mistake. I don't even know if the new zelda will bring the series back to it's gloriously high numbers. The series has bombed like many other big franchises this generation.

There are pretty good reasons why these franchises aren't selling well. Majora's mask was a step down in many peoples eyes from Ocarina of Time, then Wind Waker was very much a slap in the fact to many people. Kingdom Hearts is in my opinion most likely the "new" zelda.
Continues to argue this sentiment for a while even saying that once the big console games appear on the PSP, Pokemon won't be able to compete.

Galiant Beast said:
I guess time will shut these fanboys up more than I ever could.

I've been arguing with them since the dreamcast was released, and ive been right since. It's funny how they still kid themselves, but at the same time it really isn't.

I'll let time be my strongest witness once again.

Pokemon D/P sales- Roughly 6.0 million. I guess time really did show........

BurntPork

Banned
Lord_Byron28 said:
Continues to argue this sentiment for a while even saying that once the big console games appear on the PSP, Pokemon won't be able to compete.

Pokemon D/P sales- Roughly 6.0 million. I guess time really did show........
Is B/W still tracking ahead of D/P? I'm guessing they are.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
Don't bother, he's gone.
What a shame. There's a gif that I really want to use, and it needs something about 50% more outrageous than the things I say (in your opinion, obviously) for it to be effective. He was the only one able to do that...

Kazerei

Banned
Heh, it's always funny going back to threads from the start of this gen. Pokemon was on the decline, but then Diamond/Pearl ended up reversing that trend. Teehee.

BurntPork said:
Is B/W still tracking ahead of D/P? I'm guessing they are.
Prooobably not.
BW

B/W just fell behind D/P there, but A) Garaph software data is a couple months behind at the moment and B) D/P fell off the Top 30 for four months there, so it's hard to be exact.

Kazerei said:
Heh, it's always funny going back to threads from the start of this gen. Pokemon was on the decline, but then Diamond/Pearl ended up reversing that trend. Teehee.

Well, this shows how many predictions simply based on sales patterns turn to be clearly wrong. A series will decline if it has declined over the last two-three years? Probably not, and Pokémon showed this very well.

Mpl90

It's time.

Wekkly Comgnet chart

[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 633pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 auction, please be left in their Limited Edition! BOX - 288pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam AKB1/48 Idol Limited Edition - 187pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam AKB1/48 Idol (Limited Edition) - 161pt
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6, Takeshi future transfer - 84pt
[PS3] Dark Soul - 43pt
[PS3] F1 2011 - 39pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 34pt
[Wii] Family fishing is your computer Bundle - 33pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest NES and SNES I · II · III Final Fantasy Anniversary 25 - 32pt
[PSP] Legend of Heroes Ao no Kiseki (Limited Edition) - 30pt
[PS3] RAGE - 29pt
[PSP] 5D's TAGFORCE6 Yugioh - 24pt
[PS3] Resident Evil Revival Selection HD Remastered Edition - 20pt
[NDS] Atsumete! Kirby - 20pt
[3DS] Pokemon Super Scramble - 17pt
[Wii] Everybody's Rhythm Tengoku - 15pt
[PS3] HD collection of birth and imprinted God of War Chains of Olympus - 15pt
[PS3] Shadow of the Colossus - 15pt
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina 3D - 14pt

And the daily preorder chart

Updated: October 10, 2011 (Mon) 08:00
Ranking is closed at October 09, 2011

[PSP] Final Fantasy Zero Expressions - 383pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku-Project DIVA-extend - 199pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 195pt
[PS3] ACE COMBAT ASSAULT HORIZON - 144Pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (Slide Pad Bundle) - 134pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 119Pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 116pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Wars 2 - 106pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 82Pt
[PSP] NARUTO-Naruto - Shippuuden Narutimate Impact - 70pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 65pt
[PS3] Goodbye Special Edition ~ Macross F Movie Tsubasa ~ Hybrid Pack - 58pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's PORTABLE-THE GEARS OF DESTINY-GOD BOX Limited Edition - 52pt
[Wii] JUST DANCE Wii (Just Dance Wii) - 51pt
[PS3] PS3 Sengoku BASARA3 Banquet - 50pt
[PS3] hen I started de Fuca and Desuko 4 Disgaea Disgaea. Append Limited Edition - 48pt
[PS3] Battlefield 3 - 44pt
[NDS] One Piece Gigant Battle the New World 2 (Limited Edition) - 41pt
[PSP] special government agency Seventh Dragon 2020 "cloud masses" set decoration only - 40pt
[PSP] To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (Limited Edition) - 39Pt

Last week comparisons

Comgnet weekly chart

Index aggregation period: Tuesday October 02, 2011 ~ September 26, 2011

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6, Takeshi future transfer - 244pt
[PS3] Dark Soul - 146pt
[PSP] Legend of Heroes Ao no Kiseki (Limited Edition) - 139pt
[Wii] Dragon Quest NES and SNES I · II · III Final Fantasy Anniversary 25 - 67pt
[Wii] Family fishing is your computer Bundle - 55pt
[PSP] Ao no Kiseki Complete Edition Book Hero - 43pt
[PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd PSP the Best - 36pt
[PSP] Evangelion - Impact Sound - (Limited Edition) - 26pt
[PS3] Resident Evil Revival Selection HD Remastered Edition - 26pt
[PSP] Ao no Kiseki Drama CD Bundle The Legend of Heroes - 24pt
[PSP] 5D's TAGFORCE6 Yugioh - 23pt
[NDS] Atsumete! Kirby - 23pt
[PSP] Evangelion - Sound Impact - Special Edition (Limited Edition) - 22pt
[3DS] Kagura 閃乱 - portrait of young girls - - 22pt
[Wii] Everybody's Rhythm Tengoku - 21pt
[PS3] Limited Box Colossus and ICO / Wanda - 21pt
[PSP] Busou mk.2 Battle Masters - 19pt
[3DS] Pokemon Super Scramble - 18pt
[PS3] Tales of export Syria - 16pt
[PSP] ~ Apocalypse Edition Wand of Fortune 2 to sink to the space-time - 15pt

And an update on the daily chart

[PSP] Final Fantasy Zero Expressions - 336pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam Idol AKB1/48 auction, please be left in their Limited Edition! BOX - 262pt
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2012 - 228pt
[PSP] Hatsune Miku-Project DIVA-extend - 159pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (Limited Edition) - 148pt
[PS3] Armored Core 5 - 119Pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam AKB1/48 Idol Limited Edition - 117pt
[PS3] ACE COMBAT ASSAULT HORIZON - 110Pt
[PS3] OG Super Robot Wars 2 - 106pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIIIヴェルサス - 82Pt
[3DS] Monster 3G (Slide Pad Bundle) - 76pt
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 74pt
[PSP] ... When you have love in Guam AKB1/48 Idol (Limited Edition) - 70pt
[PSP] NARUTO-Naruto - Shippuuden Narutimate Impact - 58pt
[PSP] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's PORTABLE-THE GEARS OF DESTINY-GOD BOX Limited Edition - 51pt
[PS3] hen I started de Fuca and Desuko 4 Disgaea Disgaea. Append Limited Edition - 48pt
[PS3] Goodbye Special Edition ~ Macross F Movie Tsubasa ~ Hybrid Pack - 46pt
[NDS] One Piece Gigant Battle the New World 2 (Limited Edition) - 40pt
[3DS] 3D Super Mario Land - 39pt
[PSP] To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (Limited Edition) - 38Pt

Top Bottom