• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2012 (Sep 24 - Sep 30)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's better from the joke launch list of Wii.

Monster Hunter alone will sell better than almost all the Wii launch third party games ( excluding Dragon Ball Budokai) combined. Multiple times, even.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Monster Hunter alone will sell better than almost all the Wii launch third party games ( excluding Dragon Ball Budokai) combined. Multiple times, even.

Wii did not have a 3rd party game break 200K until DQ:Swords in July of 2007, and only DQ:Swords and Umbrella Chronicles broke 200K in the first year. Two on rails titles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wii did not have a 3rd party game break 200K until DQ:Swords in July of 2007, and only DQ:Swords and Umbrella Chronicles broke 200K in the first year. Two on rails titles.

Oh damn i really forgot how bad third partys treated the Wii, especially Square Enix with epic failure called Crystal Bearers which they delayed for years and instead of delivering a solid Action RPG they tried something different and awful.

Nekki

What a lineup... And someone was saying that Nintendo would have left 3DS uncovered this Christmas with just Animal Crossing.

Yeah, it's great to see how much support the 3DS has acquired over time. Next year should be great.

All in all though, last holiday was huge in terms of big sellers, but this lineup shows a more diverse and healthy platform.

Nintendo could also pull Kirby in Summer and Zelda in Decemeber.

I was going to tell you that i wanted them to take their time with Zelda still, but i forgot it's already almost one and half years old, so... yeah that sounds pretty possible. Can't wait for something!

Oh ok, i thought those games had already set a date. Is this the frist time we see the date?

About the other discussion, yeah, i guess that is what he ment after thinking more about it. I wasnt trying to focus much on the word "scary", but maybe it looked like it because i answered everyone who quoted me on it.

It was said "THIS is the most scary aspect of Vita sales right now", so i was just wondering why this was scary now when we knew about the low Vita sales for months. It wasnt any critcizm, just wondering about what he ment with that sentence :) But yeah, after thinking more about it, i guess that maybe ment that it was scary to see the big drop compared to launch.

I dont mean to rip this discussion up too much, but it is just important for me to say that i didnt criticize what he said.

No, they did not have a date yet.

By the way, it's clear to me that something like the ratio between first week sales and total sales becomes more and more evidente as the time passes.

Road

Famitsu 2012 Fiscal Year First Half (03/26~09/30)

famitsu.com/news/201210/04022297.html

Software: 114.26 billion yen (+15.8%)
Hardware: 61.08 billion yen (+2.2%)

Total: 175.34 billion yen (+10.7%)

Hardware:
Code:
	FY 2012 H1	   LTD

3DS	2,075,596	 7,517,620
PS3	  440,221	 8,313,573
PSP	  356,056	18,912,220
Vita	  327,728	   947,147
Wii	  243,605	12,582,809
360	   27,149	 1,563,051
DS	   11,939	32,860,999

Software:
Code:
1. [NDS] Pokémon Black 2 / White 2	2,754,595
2. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2	1,202,879
3. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 3D	  886,349
4. [WII] Dragon Quest X			  598,124
5. [WII] Mario Party 9			  547,297

donny2112

Don't know why people keep bringing up in comparision to the Vita. It took the PS3 around the same amount of time to hit a million in Japan.

PS3 1st week - ~82K
PSV 1st week - ~325K

After ~9 months, both hit 1 million. Take away the first week, and PS3 has been ahead of Vita since week 6, doubling Vita's LTD (starting with 671K to 335K) for a few weeks. Still think they're comparable?

I know I could be ripetitive and all, but the most scaring thing about Vita is not the actual LTD, but the incidence of the launch.

In the past generations, we've seen the losing console always starting with a low profile launch ( 120k for the Gamecube, 100k for the Dreamcast, 80k for PS3) and then selling lower and lower through time. But Vita had a respectable launch, with 325k units sold and then...a scary collapse. Basically, Vita is now behind Dreamcast despite having a launch more than 3x than Dreamcast / 4x PS3. THIS is the most scary aspect of Vita sales right now. Not just the terribad numbers, but how it progressed from launch.

Yes, exactly.

I wonder if Wii can squeeze out another 418k to break 13m?

Should be able to with a 200K Nov/Dec period. Will see how that goes, though.

So the PSVita has been on the Japanese market for around 43(?) weeks.

1st week sales = 325,000
LTD sales = 947,147
Average weekly sales = 14,813 (622,147 / 42)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If it wasnt for WiiU i still could kinda believe in a big Vita comeback - but with the situation now i doubt we will see a repeat of the PSP vs. Wii edition.

Till it stops being produced?
Absolutely.

It still has a shot for this year even.
It's a slim chance though.

Whether it makes it this year all depends if it gets a price cut when wii u launches, I mean isn't the wii still 20k¥ surely it must be getting a drop

DGRE

Banned
Famitsu 2012 Fiscal Year First Half (03/26~09/30)

Hardware:
Code:
	FY 2012 H1	   LTD

3DS	2,075,596	 7,517,620
DS	   11,939	32,860,999
PSP	  356,056	18,912,220
Vita	  327,728	   947,147

I'm not sure why some people keep downplaying it, but Sony's inability to kill off the PSP is a major factor in Vita's floundering.

Why are they letting a last-gen console stifle their current-gen machine's sales? Nintendo was so aggressive with their pricecut that they actually made the 3DS cheaper at MSRP than the DS (at least for a bit).
There is no way anyone could argue that the PSP selling more units YTD than the Vita is not having a negative impact on Vita sales.

I'm not sure why some people keep downplaying it, but Sony's inability to kill off the PSP is a major factor in Vita's floundering.

Why are they letting a last-gen console stifle their current-gen machine's sales? Nintendo was so aggressive with their pricecut that they actually made the 3DS cheaper at MSRP than the DS (at least for a bit).
There is no way anyone could argue that the PSP selling more units YTD than the Vita is not having a negative impact on Vita sales.

If anything though killing the PSP would probably do more for the 3ds than it does for for vita

DGRE

Banned
If anything though killing the PSP would probably do more for the 3ds than it does for for vita

If combined with a price cut I disagree. Sony has brand loyal fans just like Nintendo does, maybe some of them still just haven't seen good enough reason to move forward yet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It's crazy to think of it this way but if the reviled UMD drive was somehow put on the Vita it probably would have subsumed the original PSP's sales by now. It's not that much more expensive and it does offer better visual fidelity and control options.

Japan just doesn't care about digital sales when the device needs to be tethered to a wifi connection and isn't a phone.

BadWolf

All I can think of when I see Sony's lack of action is that they are either completely lost as to what to do or they are planning a major relaunch of sorts. If they do it a year or whatever after with a price cut then no one will really complain, like they did with the whole Ambassador thing. Whatever they do now will be squashed by the WiiU anyway so right now is not too good a time to make any drastic moves, early next year is probably better.

Whatever the case though, Vita is screwed this holiday season.

If combined with a price cut I disagree. Sony has brand loyal fans just like Nintendo does, maybe some of them still just haven't seen good enough reason to move forward yet.

I'd wager more PSP owners are monster hunter loyalists than Sony loyalists

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Code:
3DS	2,075,596
PS3	  440,221

As you can see, the PS3 is absolutely crushing the 3DS and dominating the attention of every Japanese publisher.

Here are some charts that help prove this.

college10uc3e.jpg

20081120-baltic-dry-s2lfbr.png

It should be obvious to everyone that the PS3 shall continue its domination well into 2018, as the opportunity cost of switching to a new platform is simply too high.

Celine

Problem isn't PSP stealing sales from PSV, since PSP is just enjoying the last tail of its lifespan ( a big and cheap catalogue and some interesting new releases).
Problem is that Vita isn't desirable enough to quickly expand it's userbase thus giving confidence to publishers to put in the pipeline more projects.

Last year in the same timeframe DS still sold 210K, yet 3DS totaled 1.12M.

BadWolf

Problem isn't PSP stealing sales from PSV, since PSP is just enjoying the last tail of its lifespan ( a big and cheap catalogue and some interesting new releases).
Problem is that Vita isn't desirable enough to quickly expand it's userbase thus giving confidence to publishers to put in the pipeline more projects.

Last year in the same timeframe DS still sold 210K, yet 3DS totaled 1.12M.

Its directly backwards compatible though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd wager more PSP owners are monster hunter loyalists than Sony loyalists

Yeah, I don't think the PSP's success was founded upon loyalty to Sony, but rather the kinds of games that Sony traditionally attracted like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, and Monster Hunter.

However, these days, one of those is in steep decline, another has dropped notable handheld entries, and the third moved exclusively to their competitor.

But if Sony killed off the PSP, would those devs/pubs that are still making PSP games start making exclusive Vita games? I'd doubt it. We see games that are PSP/Vita like God Eater 2 which obviously means devs/pubs have little to no confidence in the Vita, so killing the PSP off probably isn't the best way to go. Sony just needs to convince consumers and third parties that the Vita is the future, but they've done a terrible job at doing just that.

So the PSVita has been on the Japanese market for around 43(?) weeks.

1st week sales = 325,000
LTD sales = 947,147
Average weekly sales = 14,813 (622,147 / 42)

In the Beating a Dead Horse Dept.: In the weeks between launch and the price cut announcement last year, 3DS averaged over 43K. Take out the second (>200K) week, and 3DS still averaged over 34K.

It's about third parties, not just fans. Were PSP no longer an option, how many current PSP-supporting third parties would choose Vita over a handheld that has PSP+ specs, the most popular PSP franchise, and a much, much larger userbase? The answer is probably greater than zero, but a lot less than a majority.

Code:
3DS	2,075,596
PS3	  440,221

As you can see, the PS3 is absolutely crushing the 3DS and dominating the attention of every Japanese publisher.

Here are some charts that help prove this.

college10uc3e.jpg

20081120-baltic-dry-s2lfbr.png

It should be obvious to everyone that the PS3 shall continue its domination well into 2018, as the opportunity cost of switching to a new platform is simply too high.
lolol

A++

FoneBone

Nirolak already addressed this above, but given how much their successes have relied on third-party franchises, I really, really doubt that they have brand loyalists to the extent that Nintendo does.

DGRE

Banned
But if Sony killed off the PSP, would those devs/pubs that are still making PSP games start making exclusive Vita games? I'd doubt it. We see games that are PSP/Vita like God Eater 2 which obviously means devs/pubs have little to no confidence in the Vita, so killing the PSP off probably isn't the best way to go. Sony just needs to convince consumers and third parties that the Vita is the future, but they've done a terrible job at doing just that.

It's a catch 22 though. Vita needs to push more units to gain publisher confidence, but they need more games to sell units. If Sony had confidence that Vita was the right choice moving forward, I think they would be happy to kill off the PSP.

It just goes back to how asinine their "10 year cycle, everything's going according to plan" comments are.

test_account

XP-39C²
Has a system literally been killed off before? The only way i can see this is possible is to refuse anyone to get their games certified for that system.

Takao

Banned
It's a catch 22 though. Vita needs to push more units to gain publisher confidence, but they need more games to sell units. If Sony had confidence that Vita was the right choice moving forward, I think they would be happy to kill off the PSP.

It just goes back to how asinine their "10 year cycle, everything's going according to plan" comments are.

SCE didn't kill off the PS2, and they very much believed that PS3 was the right choice moving forward. While SCE(E of all divisions) is still publishing new PSP releases they're not developed internally. Their support outside of SCEJ doing marketing campaigns for new colours, and key third party releases is done.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good question. I mean, even Dreamcast didn't see its last licensed releases until 2007.
Yeah, i think this is the problem (to put it in that way), that many developers still see the PSP as a viable platform. Even if Sony offers the exact same terms, or even better terms, for the Vita, the userbase is still the problem.

DGRE

Banned
SCE didn't kill off the PS2, and they very much believed that PS3 was the right choice moving forward. While SCE(E of all divisions) is still publishing new PSP releases they're not developed internally. Their support outside of SCEJ doing marketing campaigns for new colours, and key third party releases is done.

Did everyone miss where this wasn't so much about software, but rather price? The DS was proving prohibitive at the beginning of the 3DS' life. The price cut did wonders for a multitude of reasons, one of them being that they actually made the 3DS cheaper than the DS (LL only, I think?) making it stupid not to purchase a 3DS.

PSP doesn't need to keep shifting units if developers want to make games for it. It already has a healthy installed base. Vita NEEDS to move hardware if Sony ever wants devs to move their efforts there.

Is this making any sense?

muu

Sinobi said that Iwata said during the retailer meeting yesterday that there are going to be less Wii U units available than what people seem to be thinking. Plus the basic set is going to take up the largest portion of what will be available, despite the premium set and MH3GHD bundle seemingly having the most demand at the moment.

https://twitter.com/sinobintage/status/253818716125528064
https://twitter.com/sinobintage/status/253819822100578304

most demand off his affiliate links.

General public at large is clearly going to eat up the cheaper units, and that's likely where the majority of sales are going to be.

test_account

XP-39C²
Virtual Boy?
The Virtual Boy was discontunied pretty fast indeed, same with Sega 32X, but i think that is also in combination with the low hardware sales, so that no one saw the need to contunie to publish games for it. Even if Sony should stop selling PSP hardware right now, there are over 19 million units sold already.

Top Bottom