• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm impressed that 3DS is selling that well with the new model coming out (this week or next?).

Vita I was hoping it would sell over 20k with those 2 games but eh it didn't :/

Everything else is bad :(

braves01

Banned
Not good numbers for Bayo 2, not bad though either taking the Wii U factor into account. Such a shame only a small percentage of people will ever get to enjoy what seems like a fantastic game, since it's not going to other platforms any time soon. Wii U peeps need to savor this one.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS4's back to 7,000 units already, according to Famitsu.

And next week's release (Omega Quintet) won't help.

Will OQ reach 5,000 units in its first week?

So some good debuts on Sony systems, which also happened to give Vita a decent HW bump. Another disappointing week for the PS4, though.

Small Wii U bump with a meh FF debut (Even if it did beat the prior Wii game's opening week depending on who you're looking at). Bayo 2 has fallen off a cliff. 3DS somehow is still selling despite the N3DS right around the corner. YW2 is still ridiculous.

XB1 defies all odds and hangs on to 4 digit sales.

Jashobeam

Bayonetta 2 is such an appealing game with so much action, and gameplay, it's a real shame that Japanese gamers aren't interested in it.

Jamix012

it sold relatively the same amount as it did when the first two launched on the PSP, and on a system with a smaller base. Those are solid numbers, both for it and Legend of Heroes.

I'm gonna pipe in and say that Dangan Ronpa is one of those franchises, like Persona, that is growing and should see a large increase in sales for the 3rd mainline entry. This game is a spin off and an indication of the increasing strength of the brand rather than the increasing strength of the Vita (in the same way P4G was an indication strength of the Persona brand.)

That having been said this about lines up with my expectations as a spinoff but should have MUCH shorter legs than the 2 mainline games.

Sold less according to Media Create though. I thought the movie would've helped.

Wii - Fatal Frame 4 - 33,456 / 78,635
WiiU - Fatal Frame 5 - 27.505 / ???

It probably did help, the WiiU has a far lower install base then the Wii would have had at that point in time I suspect.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's very early, but Final Fantasy: Record Keeper at least debuted well.

It's DeNA/Mobage though, so I wouldn't get my hopes too high given their recent troubles maintaining relevance.

ffmobagee2kzx.png

zeromcd73

Everything selling pretty crappy as usual.

Can't wait for New 3DS vs New 3DSLL and hoping PS4 can at least start averaging 15k+ after February.

NicolasCage

Neo Member
Yoshi's New Island's slow crawl to 200k was almost as agonising as listening to its soundtrack. Almost.

On the flipside, it's sad to see so many Wii U games not having much stamina after their soft launches. What are the chances of Mario 3D World, DKC:TF, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, Fatal Frame 5 or even Wonderful 101 getting a new run/chart comeback during the holidays when Nintendo hardware traditionally sells in large quantities?

I'm guessing chances are low. This holiday, the Wii U is likely to be a Smash and Mario Kart machine.

SmokyDave

Nah, Vita will do fine for the rest of the year. Next year will be brutal though. Don't think they can sell as much as it did this year.

Indeed. I'm thinking this year will get tight towards the end, but that 200k cushion will help.

Next year though, next year will be ugly.

Jamix012

Could you post the numbers from the last few holidays if it's not too much? I'm having a hard time believing Vita will go down this year.

I don't think Vita will go down from mid november, but it's had some of the worst holiday periods I've ever seen. I think from here to about mid november it's definitely going to be in serious free fall.

No, they're just not interested in buying a whole new system to play it.

Don't get me wrong, being on the Wii U probably resulted in it selling a 1/5 or less or what it could've otherwise done, but it's certainly not a game that would have broken records had it been on other consoles.

Percy

Banned
It's a pretty standard debut for the series actually.

I know, I was just "joke" rationalising some reasoning for a western release. It's probably pointless to expect too much from home consoles on any front in Japan at this point, I get that.

FLEABttn

Banned
Bayonetta 2 is such an appealing game with so much action, and gameplay, it's a real shame that Japanese gamers aren't interested in it.

I think something is only appealing if it actually appeals to people.

I don't find the drop surprising. Disappointing, maybe, but not surprising.

qko

Not good numbers for Bayo 2, not bad though either taking the Wii U factor into account. Such a shame only a small percentage of people will ever get to enjoy what seems like a fantastic game, since it's not going to other platforms any time soon. Wii U peeps need to savor this one.

Here we go...

Nibel

We have a thread incoming momentarily from duckroll, but Akihiko Yoshida has joined mobile and f2p company CyGames.

I write that separately as they also have a PS4 title coming, but given who they are, odds are very high that it's f2p.

Mobile companies continuing to go for the big hires.

Waaaait, the Square/SquareEnix guy?!

Don't get me wrong, being on the Wii U probably resulted in it selling a 1/5 or less or what it could've otherwise done, but it's certainly not a game that would have broken records had it been on other consoles.

Who said it would be?

I thought we were past all the port begging, man.

Jamix012

Even if it did, it would just be joining every other platform on the market. It's a minor miracle that it's managed to pull out a 200k lead.

I luv ya Dave, but please stop hanging on the YoY comparison. It's meaningless if the platform itself is still doing badly/mediocrely relative to its competition and predessecor.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter how PS4 sells this year.

This is not something I agree with. Every month that passes where the PS4 sells like shit puts its comeback further into question as it fades into irrelevance. It's very hard to relaunch a console after people have stopped caring about it. At the rate it's going I do expect somewhat of a comeback from the PS4 but if it keeps tanking so hard, and we have to potentially wait till mid-late 2015 for it's bigger hits of next year? I'm not so sure.

Tripon

The PS4 selling shit for the rest of the year is pretty much confirmed. Sony is targeting Feb/March of 2015 to try to revive the console. It is what it is.

SmokyDave

I luv ya Dave, but please stop hanging on the YoY comparison. It's meaningless if the platform itself is still doing badly/mediocrely relative to its competition and predessecor.
I'm not hanging on it dude, I just find it interesting. I'm surprised you've not read any of the multitude of posts where I clearly state that the Vita is in dire straits, always has been in dire straits, and will continue to be in dire straits. Trust me, next year will look like the 3DS drop did this year. Just 3DS too, not even including the LL cushion :(

Dave, best case scenario, what would you realistically like to see happen for Vita and its possible successor?
Best case? Hang on in there for another 2 years and give me 3-4 titles on the level of Dynasty Warriors 8 (amongst the constant flood of cross-buy indies). That's the most I'd ask for.

There will not be another dedicated handheld from Sony. Simple as.

Even if it did, it would just be joining every other platform on the market. It's a minor miracle that it's managed to pull out a 200k lead.

Wii U might be up YOY these holidays, thanks to SSB and MK8 legacy (and probably some bundle); and Wii U sold better than PSV last year's December. Also 3DS has a high chance of being up these holidays. This shows just how lazy Sony is wrt PSV in Japan.

Top Bottom