• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

L~A

Also wonder if old U games can get a good bump with Christmas.

I guess that'll depend on what games Nintendo include in this year's bundles. I expect Mario Kart 8, NSMBU, Super Mario 3D World to have a nice bump during the holidays.

Mory Dunz

Well there's the truth about Bayonetta 2 in Japan for all to see

I'm still not sure why it turned into a big "thing". I guess because the betrayalthon.

I mean, I knew it would be a thing, but a 20 page thread for FW sales in Japan? Really?

Maybe if it was 5 months out and platinum released a statement about being angry with sales or something, sure. But for this?

I think it's being fueled by delusional Nintendo fans who really need everything Nintendo to do "well" combating against people who are secretly enjoying the spectacular bomb....which makes for unnecessary threads.

3D world getting a thread like that made sense because it was a big game with big expectations in November.

Ah whatever. I guess we'll get threads for each European country and then NPD when it bombs.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Fatal Frame V, such a disappointment + the movie bombed horribly in Japan so I doubt the series will have much legs :(

One would of thought Nintendo would of provided more shipments of Super Smash 3DS - still sold out on Amazon.jp - should nonetheless achieve 1.6 million for Q2 which is amazing for only 1 territory.

I'm excited about the New 3DS debut in 2 weeks, seems like it's going to be a huge success.

sörine

Banned
I can't see why SE have shown it so little support, even some old ports would make them good money.
3DS, Vita and Wii U all seem relatively under served by SE given their Japanese performances so far. PS4 and XBO on the other hand have really strong support and got it rather quickly. At this point I think it's clear SE is favoring overseas markets over the domestic one even for their Japanese development priorities.

Wendler

Banned
sörine;132442196 said:
3DS, Vita and Wii U all seem relatively under served by SE given their Japanese performances so far. PS4 and XBO on the other hand have really strong support and got it rather quickly. At this point I think it's clear SE is favoring overseas markets over the domestic one even for their Japanese development priorities.

It's just not overseas market interest, Sony also has just way better connections to 3rd party publishers (or rather puts more effort into making connections exist).

Nintendo is just not seeing the importance of such 3rd-party moves, because most of the heavy hitters on their platforms are first-party games, indicating they don't need to put an effort into connecting with 3rd-party developers. Meanwhile, Sony is grabbing all the smaller fish Nintendo is straight up ignoring, which made the small Vita (and, though different circumstances, soon to be PS4) revival possible.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Again, FF 5's debut is on par with other games in the franchise. I don't see why it's such a disappointment.

With a small advertising campaign + a film to support the title, one would of thought it would of done better than Fatal Frame's 3 opening of 40k - it's disappointment on that front.

Eolz

Again, FF 5's debut is on par with other games in the franchise. I don't see why it's such a disappointment.

Obviously because it should have been on another platform
Just kidding but probably not

Takao

Banned

Because there was an attempt to build the IP through other mediums.

It's not a bad debut considering the IP, but I can see it being lower than publisher expectations.

Oemenia

Banned
sörine;132442196 said:
True but 3DS/Vita games cost way less and we've seen how well SE did on the PSP.

That Vita boost wasn't what I was hoping it to be.

But DanganRonpa & Legend of Heroes were just as good as I had hoped.

It's definitely selling to the same small fanbase pretty much. Sony really need to get some bigger games on board, but they seem happy just leaving it as a niche machine.

Otherwise... sad about NIS' new game (they really need to commit to a new platform, imo); Fatal Frame about expected.

Hardware as a whole not really worth talking about. Pretty poor across the board apart from 3DS holding on.

I'm still not sure why it turned into a big "thing". I guess because the betrayalthon.

I mean, I knew it would be a thing, but a 20 page thread for FW sales in Japan? Really?

Maybe if it was 5 months out and platinum released a statement about being angry with sales or something, sure. But for this?

I think it's being fueled by delusional Nintendo fans who really need everything Nintendo to do "well" combating against people who are secretly enjoying the spectacular bomb....which makes for unnecessary threads.

3D world getting a thread like that made sense because it was a big game with big expectations in November.

Ah whatever. I guess we'll get threads for each European country and then NPD when it bombs.

So the why of that threads existence in the first place is probably an interesting discussion. Nintendo seemed to position it early on as an important exclusive and combined with the game coming to Japan a month early made the only possible initial sales discussion of this new exclusive be Japan sales. Nintendo releasing it first in Japan also suggests whether correct or not that Japan is an important market for that game and thus sales there should be important.

As for what the thread turned into, there was some port begging, there really was. But the thread quickly turned into a circular case of wishful thinking. Some sales agers tried to suggest standard sales trends that core niches games have but it was to no avail. The thread would've been a lot shorter without all the spinning

Sakura

Man, what are Wii U owners doing with their Wii Us? Every once in a blue moon the Wii U is graced with a quality core title, yet all the Wii U owners seem to have no interest in buying them. Why the heck did they buy the system?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man, what are Wii U owners doing with their Wii Us? Every once in a blue moon the Wii U is graced with a quality core title, yet all the Wii U owners seem to have no interest in buying them. Why the heck did they buy the system?

Well, judging by sales, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, and NSMBU.

Some of the Wii _____ U titles didn't do too badly either though I'm not sure what percentage was bundled.

duckroll

I've tried to explain this before in pretty much every Media Create thread. It's not that hard to figure out if you think about it. Don't think of "WiiU owners" as some unique group of people who bought a WiiU and have it plugged in sitting in front of their televisions with nothing else, resisting the desire to purchase any WiiU game which comes out.

Instead think of them people who at some point bought a WiiU. It might not be the only game platform they own, it might not be their primary platform, they might not even own a WiiU anymore. I think everyone has bought a dud appliance at some point in their lives. At the point they bought it they probably thought they would get more use out of it, but once it becomes clear that it was a waste, they move on. It's not a personal attachment or huge investment. The appliance could be packed up, it could just sit there, or it could be resold or given away.

Considering how few WiiU units have been sold in Japan in begin with, when you think of this scenario, it's not surprising that WiiU games are no longer selling. The total number of units sold for a device is not the total active userbase for that device.

Jamix012

sörine;132442196 said:

I don't think 3DS is under served by SE at all, it's had really strong support from SE thus far, more than any other dedicated console right now.

Sakura

I've tried to explain this before in pretty much every Media Create thread. It's not that hard to figure out if you think about it. Don't think of "WiiU owners" as some unique group of people who bought a WiiU and have it plugged in sitting in front of their televisions with nothing else, resisting the desire to purchase any WiiU game which comes out.

Instead think of them people who at some point bought a WiiU. It might not be the only game platform they own, it might not be their primary platform, they might not even own a WiiU anymore. I think everyone has bought a dud appliance at some point in their lives. At the point they bought it they probably thought they would get more use out of it, but once it becomes clear that it was a waste, they move on. It's not a personal attachment or huge investment. The appliance could be packed up, it could just sit there, or it could be resold or given away.

Considering how few WiiU units have been sold in Japan in begin with, when you think of this scenario, it's not surprising that WiiU games are no longer selling. The total number of units sold for a device is not the total active userbase for that device.

Sure. But Mario Kart 8 has sold almost 700,000 units. So there should at least that many people out there with Wii Us, that are willing to turn them on to play a game.
It's not like there are 20 Wii U games coming out a month. There are a handful of good exclusive titles a year. I'm just a little disappointed that the Wii U owners out there only seem interested in buying the games with Mario in them.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Sure. But Mario Kart 8 has sold almost 700,000 units. So there should at least that many people out there with Wii Us, that are willing to turn them on to play a game.
It's not like there are 20 Wii U games coming out a month. There are a handful of good exclusive titles a year. I'm just a little disappointed that the Wii U owners out there only seem interested in buying the games with Mario in them.

Well it's not like some of us haven't been saying that for years now :)

duckroll

Again you're not looking at the full picture. You are assuming that every single person there only owns a WiiU, and that games like Bayonetta 2 and Fatal Frame are competing with nothing at all. The reality is more likely that almost everyone who owns a WiiU already has other forms of entertainment. They might own another console, they might mainly game on the 3DS or Vita or both, they might mainly play stuff on their smartphones.

Games like Mario Kart 8 are for general audiences, offer multiplayer, and have strong brand power, so it's not unusual at all that lots more people would be interested in playing it even if they don't usually use their WiiU. But why then would such people bother with other WiiU titles which might not be to their taste if they already have other means of getting general entertainment elsewhere?

It's sales like these that led to the stigma of Nintendo gamers only buying games with Mario. I'd wait to see how Bayo performs in the West to see if this stigma will continue to exist.

Sakura

Again you're not looking at the full picture. You are assuming that every single person there only owns a WiiU, and that games like Bayonetta 2 and Fatal Frame are competing with nothing at all. The reality is more likely that almost everyone who owns a WiiU already has other forms of entertainment. They might own another console, they might mainly game on the 3DS or Vita or both, they might mainly play stuff on their smartphones.

Games like Mario Kart 8 are for general audiences, offer multiplayer, and have strong brand power, so it's not unusual at all that lots more people would be interested in playing it even if they don't usually use their WiiU. But why then would such people bother with other WiiU titles which might not be to their taste if they already have other means of getting general entertainment elsewhere?
I'm not assuming everyone only has a Wii U. I'm just assuming they wouldn't have made a 300 dollar+ purchase for a system just to play a couple Mario games and not look at anything else. At least, I wouldn't make a purchase like that, but I guess the other Wii U owners out there don't think that way.
I just don't want Nintendo to come away from this thinking that there is no point in providing non-Mario, Zelda, etc exclusives, because regardless of what genres and settings and etc they give us, nobody is buying them, so why waste the money right?

duckroll

I just don't want Nintendo to come away from this thinking that there is no point in providing non-Mario, Zelda, etc exclusives, because regardless of what genres and settings and etc they give us, nobody is buying them, so why waste the money right?

Maybe there isn't a point. At least not business-wise. Sometimes that is the reality.

StevieP

Banned
It's just not overseas market interest, Sony also has just way better connections to 3rd party publishers (or rather puts more effort into making connections exist).

Nintendo is just not seeing the importance of such 3rd-party moves, because most of the heavy hitters on their platforms are first-party games, indicating they don't need to put an effort into connecting with 3rd-party developers. Meanwhile, Sony is grabbing all the smaller fish Nintendo is straight up ignoring, which made the small Vita (and, though different circumstances, soon to be PS4) revival possible.

You seem rather confident in your assertions.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
For those interested, this is how that New 3DS TVCM featuring Kyary is doing, in terms of amount of views. Or better, its current, short-term trend

As of September 29th, 2014 - 21:26 GMT --> 241,149 - 5,990 likes / 71 dislikes

As of September 30th, 2014 - 18:02 GMT --> 565,439 - 8,663 likes / 170 dislikes (+324,290 in around 21 hours)

As of October 1st, 2014 - 17:44 GMT --> 852,492 - 10,928 likes / 253 dislikes (+287,053 in around 24 hours)

Is Kyary that strong? O_O

Exile20

Yet the 3ds is flourishing. The N3DS will sell boatloads also.

Lots of third party are selling millions on the 3ds.

Doesn't really work given that the PS4 is right alongside the Wii U even though it's had very little appealing software released. Not to mention the worldwide numbers.

Basically you just sound a bit bitter.

This argument didn't count last year (WiiU)
Ps4 is selling worse than WiiU as far as I know.

umm, no. Basically you sound a bit bitter ;)
This is a thread about sales in japan (not worldwide).

random25

For those interested, this is how that New 3DS TVCM featuring Kyary is doing, in terms of amount of views. Or better, its current, short-term trend

As of September 29th, 2014 - 21:26 GMT --> 241,149 - 5,990 likes / 71 dislikes

As of September 30th, 2014 - 18:02 GMT --> 565,439 - 8,663 likes / 170 dislikes (+324,290 in around 21 hours)

As of October 1st, 2014 - 17:44 GMT --> 852,492 - 10,928 likes / 253 dislikes (+287,053 in around 24 hours)

Is Kyary that strong? O_O

Get Kyaryfied!

heidern

A typical console owner buys 2-3 games a year on average and more likely to make a purchase during the holidays. I don't know if there's any data as to whether the Wii U tie-ratio in Japan is much lower than average. Worldwide it's over 5:1 which is reasonable at this point in the life cycle. The problem is more low sales of the hardware leading to low software sales rather than low software purchase rates.

sörine

Banned
Doesn't really work given that the PS4 is right alongside the Wii U even though it's had very little appealing software released. Not to mention the worldwide numbers.

Basically you just sound a bit bitter.
Both systems had very little appealing software in the early days, and PS4 has tracked a bit behind even. It's more like the early days of Vita.

A typical console owner buys 2-3 games a year on average and more likely to make a purchase during the holidays. I don't know if there's any data as to whether the Wii U tie-ratio in Japan is much lower than average. Worldwide it's over 5:1 which is reasonable at this point in the life cycle. The problem is more low sales of the hardware leading to low software sales rather than low software purchase rates.
Japan's tie ratio is shit for the Wii U, just look at how lopsided the shipments are.

edit: I know shipments=/=sales, but the difference is pretty telling

tie ratios from Nintendo's report as of June 30, 2014:

Japan: 3.44
Americas: 6.26
Other: 6.33

and given the US tie ratio (even though it doesn't include digital or bundles, which there are actually a ton of the latter in the US), chances are the latter two are probably somewhat overshipped

Kysen

Lol this is me. I played a lot of mk8 when I bought the wiiu bundle but its been sat under my desk unplugged since. Shame I would have bought zero even in Japanese if the console was region free. I doubt it will be localised.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would honestly like to know what demographic is actually buying Wii U software and hardware in Japan.

Well, here's every title that has sold 100K or more. Some of these did that by being bundles for free to note.

wiiujapanlpjm8.png

My takeaway would be:

1.) Nintendo enthusiasts
2.) Some amount of family oriented buyers, which would fit with the holiday sales spikes

Monster Hunter is the only one that sticks out, but it may just be people who fit into one of the other two categories and also like this local megafranchise.

Dragon Quest also sticks out slightly, but it is the shiniest console version of the game so if that's the game you're primarily playing, why not get one.

As a whole I agree with duckroll that the vast majority of Wii U owners play games primarily on one or more systems that aren't the Wii U, and only pick up the absolute most notable titles on the platform.

Top Bottom