• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

noshten

ComG! preorders

header-logo.png

Super mario odyssey surprise me, better than I thought, 20 units ahead of super mario land 3ds, i don't know if super mario odyssey will win vs super mario land 3ds but for now it's good, really, best day score (+6, pokémon US/UM +5, MH:W +3 http://www.comgnet.com/ranking/ ):

MARIO 3D

877114e6.jpg

:p

Super mario odyssey switch:

ComG! preorders(22 days left, no bundle included): 93 pt
Hardware: 2 million?

Super mario 3d world wii u:

ComG! preorders (last day): 66 pt
22 days left: -
First week (famitsu): 106.967
LTD: 613.693
Hardware: 1.173.014

Super mario 3d land 3ds:
ComG! preorders (last day): 262 pt
22 days left: 73 pt
First week: 344.698
LTD: 2.111.490
Hardware: 2.356.915

Super mario galaxy 2 wii:
ComG! preorders (last day): 313 pt
22 days left: 72 pt
First week: 337.569
LTD: 1.046.696
Hardware: 11.607.212

Super mario galaxy wii:
ComG! preorders (last day): 201 pt
22 days left: 43 pt
First week: 256.341
LTD: 1.025.664
Hardware: 3.725.999

Super mario sunshine gc:
First week: 280.610
LTD: 789.989
Hardware: 1.453.421

Super mario 64 n64:
First week: 162.111
LTD: 1.646.558
Hardware: 159.943

Best ComG! preorders: Super mario galaxy 2 wii
Best first week: Super mario 3d land 3ds
Best LTD: Super mario 3d land 3ds

I've no doubt that SMO will be the biggest launch of a 3D Mario game in Japan due to Switch demand and bundles. If the bundle is >50% of available Switch units for November it's going to be close to overtaking MK8D before December hits. While if it's >50% of available Switch units for December it will likely clear 1.5 million this year and be well on it's way to catch up to Super Mario 3D Land.
However if it's heavily bundled there will be a ton of used copies floating around after the holidays - so it likely will disappear completely from the charts until next Obon or Christmas. We are seeing the effect of heavily bundled games with Splatoon 2 - on COMG for example last week they sold more used copies than new and this will probably be the norm until used copies from the bundles are sold out.
Its going to be another underestimated Switch game on our annual prediction league - on average GAF predicted that it would sell 711K for 2017.

Orgen

Q4 2016 (last known Famitsu numbers)
2016.10.08 Monster Hunter Stories - 330.576
2016.10.20 Mario Party: Star Rush - 188.795
2016.11.18 Pokemon Sun / Moon - 3.902.672
2016.11.23 Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo - 249.200
2016.12.01 Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 1.159.468
2016.12.08 Miitopia - 231.060
2016.12.15 Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki - 751.191
2016.12.15 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes - 120.737
2016.12.22 Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! - 408.958

Q4 2017
2017.10.05 Mario & Luigi: RPG1 DX
2017.11.02 Girls Mode 4: Star & Stylist
2017.11.17 Pokemon Ultra Moon / Ultra Moon
2017.11.30 Kirby Battle Royale
2017.11.30 Attack on Titan 2
2017.12.07 Yo-kai Watch Busters 2
2017.12.28 Mario Party: The Top 100

We must play the game of how lower it will go this year. More interesting to watch is how weaker software will affect hardware sales of both PS4 and 3DS.
First signs have already shown but December will be the barometer. Switch supply will play a role too.

Are you "worried" about the LTD for the Q4 titles or just the Q4 sales? Let's see the battles (LTD):

Pokemon S&M vs Pokemon US&UM - S&M will win by a landside (let's hope US&UM can reach 2 million)
Yokai 3 Sukiyaki vs Yokai Busters 2 - Is Busters 2 two different SKU like the first one? I see Busters 2 selling 500.000 LTD so I think this battle is going to be close
Mario Party Rush Hour vs Mario Party the Top 100 - Top 100 is going to win :D
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes vs Attack on Titan 2 - Another close one. I see Titan reaching 100.000 LTD even if you don't expect it.
Miitopia vs Girls Mode 4 - 3DS expected life could play against Girls Mode legs... but should be another close one.
Animal Crossing vs Kirby - This I don't know because I haven't been following the Kirby title and I don't know what to expect from it. 300.000 LTD could be too much or not?
Super Mario Maker 3DS vs Mario & Luigi RPG DX - Yep, another no contest. Let's see if M&L can sell more than 10% of Mario Maker's LTD.

The problem is third party games (MH Stories & Momotaro Densetsu) and of course a big Nintendo title like Mario Maker last year. But all in all not a bad holiday line up I'd say.

Bamco's support is better than Capcom's I think.

Bamco:
Xenoverse 2
Namco Museum
One Piece Unlimited World Red Deluxe
Pokken DX (Developer only)
Untitled Taiko
Untitled Tales

Capcom:
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Resident Evil Revelations Collection
MHXX: Switch Ver.

Once Bamco actually reveals what the Taiko and Tales games are, it won't even be close I think. That being said, they need to stop asking fans to beg for ports. It's clear that at the very least DBFZ would do well on the Switch and the SAO game probably would do decently. They need to stop making excuses.

Not really. Bamco just has a larger output of games (same with SE) and still a lot of them are predictably missing the SW.

Clear to you is very different from being evidently clear as well.

WestEgg

I've no doubt that SMO will be the biggest launch of a 3D Mario game in Japan due to Switch demand and bundles. If the bundle is >50% of available Switch units for November it's going to be close to overtaking MK8D before December hits. While if it's >50% of available Switch units for December it will likely clear 1.5 million this year and be well on it's way to catch up to Super Mario 3D Land.
However if it's heavily bundled there will be a ton of used copies floating around after the holidays - so it likely will disappear completely from the charts until next Obon or Christmas. We are seeing the effect of heavily bundled games with Splatoon 2 - on COMG for example last week they sold more used copies than new and this will probably be the norm until used copies from the bundles are sold out.
Its going to be another underestimated Switch game on our annual prediction league - on average GAF predicted that it would sell 711K for 2017.

Isn't the bundle just a download code? Or is that just North America?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Are you "worried" about the LTD for the Q4 titles or just the Q4 sales? Let's see the battles (LTD):

Pokemon S&M vs Pokemon US&UM - S&M will win by a landside (let's hope US&UM can reach 2 million)
Yokai 3 Sukiyaki vs Yokai Busters 2 - Is Busters 2 two different SKU like the first one? I see Busters 2 selling 500.000 LTD so I think this battle is going to be close
Mario Party Rush Hour vs Mario Party the Top 100 - Top 100 is going to win :D
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes vs Attack on Titan 2 - Another close one. I see Titan reaching 100.000 LTD even if you don't expect it.
Miitopia vs Girls Mode 4 - 3DS expected life could play against Girls Mode legs... but should be another close one.
Animal Crossing vs Kirby - This I don't know because I haven't been following the Kirby title and I don't know what to expect from it. 300.000 LTD could be too much or not?
Super Mario Maker 3DS vs Mario & Luigi RPG DX - Yep, another no contest. Let's see if M&L can sell more than 10% of Mario Maker's LTD.

The problem is third party games (MH Stories & Momotaro Densetsu) and of course a big Nintendo title like Mario Maker last year. But all in all not a bad holiday line up I'd say.

Q4 2017
2017.10.05 Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - 100.000
2017.11.02 Style Savvy: Styling Star - 150.000
2017.11.17 Pokemon Ultra Moon / Ultra Moon - 2.000.000
2017.11.30 Kirby Battle Royale - 150.000
2017.11.30 Attack on Titan 2 - 50.000
2017.12.07 Yo-kai Watch Busters 2 - 300.000 (?)
2017.12.28 Mario Party: The Top 100 - 100.000

You can inflate numbers 50% for everything (except Pokemon) and still talk for a >50% drop.

Orgen

Q4 2017
2017.10.05 Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - 100.000
2017.11.02 Style Savvy: Styling Star - 150.000
2017.11.17 Pokemon Ultra Moon / Ultra Moon - 2.000.000
2017.11.30 Kirby Battle Royale - 150.000
2017.11.30 Attack on Titan 2 - 50.000
2017.12.07 Yo-kai Watch Busters 2 - 300.000 (?)
2017.12.28 Mario Party: The Top 100 - 100.000

You can inflate numbers 50% for everything (except Pokemon) and still talk for a >50% drop.

Are your Q4 numbers LTD? If so there are some low predictions there... Are you counting digital? Hahaha

Yeah, there's going to be a drop of course but I'm pretty sure that no one expected a 3DS holiday line up for 2017 like the one we are having. And almost no one thought that 3DS could do more than 1.5m YTD (HW) and here we are...

Next year will see the biggest drop for 3DS, SW and HW wise.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For Pokemon and Yo-kai Watch, which will be the main sellers, 2m and 300k look high end predictions to me. The other look expected since we have remakes, spin-offs and new entries on declined series.

WestEgg

Just 2 million?I think it’s be better than that

I would have agreed to lower end estimates a week ago, but with the recent trailer, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon finally seem to have some genuine hype and positive buzz around them. Not sure how well this will translate in the long run, but if the reviews come back saying this is a genuinely different product, I could see it doing better than most 3rd versions.

A higher digital sales rate is obvious considering Kiseki I & II were on PS3 & Vita, still it's nice to see Falcom reacting about the launch and being seemingly not so depressed about it. Who would have thought.

Fisico

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/916125714394447872

Falcom says that Sen III had the highest DL sales in the series history and the package version has sold over 100k copies

That's... a big non news lol.
They're basically just showing first week famitsu numbers and stating the obvious with the DL sales.

There are no comments about meeting expectations, if they're happy with the sales or anything else, just a bland PR tweet.

Falcom Wars Part 2:Nihon Falcom twitter account strikes back
I would have agreed to lower end estimates a week ago, but with the recent trailer, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon finally seem to have some genuine hype and positive buzz around them. Not sure how well this will translate in the long run, but if the reviews come back saying this is a genuinely different product, I could see it doing better than most 3rd versions.
Same,I think it will do good,even though the lack of backward compatibility will hurt it a lot

zeromcd73

http://www.level5.co.jp/news/20171006/

Level 5 delayed their Otome Yusha mobile game from Summer to WInter. Hopefully they will be able to put out an internally developed mobile game one day...

Timeline for this game: Announced last year for a 2016 Winter release -> delayed to Spring 2017 -> delayed to Summer 2017 -> delayed to Winter 2017

Moonlight

Banned
somehow getting the impression falcom could straight up release a statement about how happy they are with the sales and you'd still get replies assuming falcom must be in damage control mode

So an opening around 120k. Thats good. Should be set for 150k+ LTD.

Their highest digital sales yet don't mean the game is suddenly on track to hit 150k. Their highest digital sales yet could be 5k.

Someone correct me if we actually know what their digital sales were for previous titles. Edit: It looks like we do and I'm wrong? Maybe?

somehow getting the impression falcom could straight up release a statement about how happy they are with the sales and you'd still get replies assuming falcom must be in damage control mode

The fact that they haven't might be telling.

Fisico

It's not about being happy or unhappy, they just stated facts already known, nothing more nothing less, it's not bringing any new information and there's nothing to debate about it.

Looking at past similar titles on PS4 CS3 is probably in the 10-15k ballpark for digital, previous CS were all way below 10k due to lower digital sales on PSV and especially PS3.

@encephalon : 6.1k first month for CS1, same ballpark for CS2 (famitsu digital estimates)

L~A

I’m kinda lost,how does missing lotteries links mean bigger stocks?I mean the lotteries are still happening,right?

If there's too many units, setting up lotteries is not possible (too complicated). If there's no lotteries this week, just means stores are expected to get too big a shipment for lotteries to be viable.

What is considered a decent sell through rate in your opinion?

Depends on the game, genre, platform, audience. Family-focused titles: sales focused on the week-end, so low Day 1 sell-through is ok. "Core"-oriented titles (like JRPG): sales focused on first days, so low sell-through: possibly bad news.

http://www.level5.co.jp/news/20171006/

Level 5 delayed their Otome Yusha mobile game from Summer to WInter. Hopefully they will be able to put out an internally developed mobile game one day...

Timeline for this game: Announced last year for a 2016 Winter release -> delayed to Spring 2017 -> delayed to Summer 2017 -> delayed to Winter 2017

Hey, but they did. In July of this year, in fact. Unless Layton's Mystery Journey isn't internal?

Their highest digital sales yet don't mean the game is suddenly on track to hit 150k. Their highest digital sales yet could be 5k.

Someone correct me if we actually know what their digital sales were for previous titles.

PS4 usually has 10%+ digital in JP.

Moonlight

Banned
if they generally communicate that after a kiseki game comes out without a major milestone like 'most successful launch ever' then sure, it might be telling. i'm not actually sure, if they tend to and stopped with sen 3, i got too ahead of myself.

either way i doubt falcom feels obligated to relieve any consternation forum posters might have over this. just kinda funny to me that whether falcom breaks the silence or doesn't, there's a cynical reason for either

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Level-5 would be better off canceling games and starting new ones instead of trying to constantly update their in development projects to modern mobile standards.

I guess it's possible they're trashing existing work on the products a la Layton 7 -> New Layton 7, which would effectively be the same, but the iterative delays make that seem less likely.

That's... a big non news lol.
They're basically just showing first week famitsu numbers and stating the obvious with the DL sales.

There are no comments about meeting expectations, if they're happy with the sales or anything else, just a bland PR tweet.

Sorry to insist but how is that tweet not indicative of being happy with the sales when the wording is, according to Gematsu translation :

"The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III has achieved 1st place in the weekly sales ranking! This time, the rate of digital version sales was by far higher than previous entries in the series, but we were able to achieve over 100,000 units in the first week with physical version sales alone."

If you're not at least quite happy with the sales of your product, you don't report about it at all usually. We also know via Famitsu and Dengeki that the game sold at least 80% of its shipment first week.

Fiendcode

No, LMJ is developed internally. In fact, Otome Yusha is being developed by h.a.n.d.
Getting this from Level-5's website in the infographics at the bottom of the games' web pages.

http://www.layton.jp/mystery-journey/
http://www.otome-yusha.jp/
No, h.a.n.d. did indeed work on LMJ. They’ve historically been contracted for a lot of Level 5’s games like the previous 3DS Laytons and the Yokai Watch trilogy but often go uncredited as shadow devs. I guess they’re big enough now they can get some billing though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
No, h.a.n.d. did indeed work on LMJ. They've historically been contracted for a lot of Level 5's games like the previous 3DS Laytons and the Yokai Watch trilogy but often go uncredited as shadow devs. I guess they're big enough now they can get some billing though.

With the mobile era, the balance of power shifted back toward independent developers and the strength of their own brands, especially since they often outperformed major publishers on mobile, so it makes sense that h.a.n.d. would really want credit for whatever they do, and that the people who work with them would allow that to happen.

That said, some still get pushed into the background, or only end up being listed on their own site.

http://www.hand.co.jp/develop/ds/

Hand definitely was definitely involved in the development of Lady Layton. They developed it together with Level 5.

No, h.a.n.d. did indeed work on LMJ. They’ve historically been contracted for a lot of Level 5’s games like the previous 3DS Laytons and the Yokai Watch trilogy but often go uncredited as shadow devs. I guess they’re big enough now they can get some billing though.

Ahh so I was right first time.

My bad. Sorry. A bit shady that they aren't credited on the LMJ page tho, although that happens more often, I know.

lyrick

If you're not at least quite happy with the sales of your product, you don't report about it at all usually. We also know via Famitsu and Dengeki that the game sold at least 80% of its shipment first week.

The PR statement is simply focusing on the positive facts, It was the best selling title last week and it apparently had a larger margin of Download sales than previous entries.

They obviously don't want to showcase the sales drop-off from previous entries in a PR blurb, but trying to determine whether or not they are "quite happy" with the sales or if they hit internal targets is not possible by the tweet given.

It's not about being happy or unhappy, they just stated facts already known, nothing more nothing less, it's not bringing any new information and there's nothing to debate about it.

Looking at past similar titles on PS4 CS3 is probably in the 10-15k ballpark for digital, previous CS were all way below 10k due to lower digital sales on PSV and especially PS3.

@encephalon : 6.1k first month for CS1, same ballpark for CS2 (famitsu digital estimates)

So maybe 8-10k. Given that it appears some stores were sold out, it'll be interesting to see how well it does come the next media create thread.

casiopao

Sorry to insist but how is that tweet not indicative of being happy with the sales when the wording is, according to Gematsu translation :

Since when did ever PR said negative thing toward their product there.O_O

Even Capcom tried to spin all their flop title lol.

MoonFrog

I'm not that deep into Falcom (Just played four Ys games and TitS 1 at this point), but I do hope that someone comes along to port their games to Switch to help keep their domestic sales up.

I'd also hope their games could sell on Switch.

Top Bottom