• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't understand why Nintendo does this at all. Why don't Nintendo expand their workforce instead of rely on Bandai Namco's workforce? In the short term, I understand it could be due to cost but long term cost of not having the home grown talent.
I don't think they do it out of a lack of manpower...

Oregano

Well continually shovelling money and IP at Koei Tecmo seems to have finally paid off in getting them to release their other games on Nintendo platforms.

test_account

XP-39C²
MHW sales slowed to a crawl over the past four or five days on COMG, not sure why. Been like 2-3 points.
Probably because the game is nearly 4 months away. Same thing with Mario Odysset, also going at a crawl in comparsion, but that game being closer to release. Dont think it means much at this point in time. How much do you think those games will end up at in COMG points at launch date by the way?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Monster Hunter is a huge franchise, in fact it is monster ;)

But the non-portable version is by default smaller compared to the potentially handheld versions. Additionally I feel like it has fallen from its absolute prime at this juncture, so I'm personally not putting my money on it... Odyssey on the other hand..

These Media Create topics have suddenly become fun again. I don't wanna miss this moment right now.

Vena

Probably because the game is nearly 4 months away. Same thing with Mario Odysset, also going at a crawl in comparsion, but that game being closer to release. Dont think it means much at this point in time. How much do you think those games will end up at in COMG points at launch date by the way?

Not the way to look at this, Odyssey (like all Mario games) doesn't really show huge pre-orders or first week sales, they have long, long legs. MH, conversely, on 3DS always had huge pre-order numbers (and with the same months of time before launch too) from core players but bad ratios because the games had a very active audience that would pre-order to get the game first week.

I think it's going to sell like the Galaxy titles. I could be wrong of course, but that's my guess.
On a portable I think Mario might have the edge.
Not sure how Japan reacts to sandbox Mario, however.
Then why does Nintendo license out help for some of their titles?
Smash is too large for the studio that originally created it.
Going with Namco was probably the fastest way to get Smash 4 up and running and by a studio with fighting game knowledge

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Really interested to see how SMO shakes up. A 3DLand-esque opening would be great. Bundles should help to carry the game a good amount.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Then why does Nintendo license out help for some of their titles?
Because its suppose to bring goodwill between Nintendo and 3rd parties, working together on projects leads to benefits on usually both sides and hopefully gets their fandoms interested in other projects by those companies

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't understand why Nintendo does this at all. Why don't Nintendo expand their workforce instead of rely on Bandai Namco's workforce? In the short term, I understand it could be due to cost but long term cost of not having the home grown talent.
While Nintendo is expanding very aggressively, there's only so many qualified developers in Japan, and a lot of them are effectively married to their publisher for life due to how employee-worker relations play out in Japan.

If a third party publisher has the skill set they don't, or a skill set they're in short supply of, it makes a ton of sense to go after.

Can you imagine what Nintendo's line-up would look like if you removed the following studios from it?

Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Paper Mario)
Game Freak (Pokemon)
HAL Laboratories (Kirby, BoxBoy)
Good-Feel (Yoshi)
AlphaDream (Mario & Luigi)
Bandai Namco (Smash Bros, Pokken)
Camelot (Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Golden Sun)
Syn Sophia (Style Savvy)
Koei Tecmo (Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors)
Mercury Steam (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Next-Level (Luigi's Mansion, Punch Out)
Vanpool (The Dillon Series)
Indies Zero (The Retro Game Challenge and NES collections)
HeadStrong (Art Academy)
Jamworks (Culdcept)
Jupiter (Picross)

Sure, any individual entry might not be that impressive, but it really starts adding up, and I didn't include everyone by a long shot.

Malakai

On a portable I think Mario might have the edge.
Not sure how Japan reacts to sandbox Mario, however.

Smash is too large for the studio that originally created it.
Going with Namco was probably the fastest way to get Smash 4 up and running and by a studio with fighting game knowledge

Building relation with third parties? Safer relation as there is no need for mass firing not used employees? Cheaper in economic case.

In the case of Bandai Namco, Nintendo required their help not only for Smash Bros but for Mario Kart 8 DX, ARMS and Pokken. Yet they have the audacity to ask fans to bag for ports?

hiska-kun

If we thought that big shipments would happen this week because no lotteries, it seems it is the otherwise. No shipment at all this week for Switch.

Fisico

Wonder if Bandai Namco is even actually making a Tales Switch game any more.

"So we announce series Z for Platform X
- Damn platform X sales are beyond expectations
- Let's cancel series Z for platform X then"

Does that make sense for you?

As stated in another topic there was a 4 months gap between the announcement of Tales of Symphonia UP/Chronicles and its release (July 2013 - Nov 2013), they are just doing the exact same thing.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Galaxy numbers would be quite disappointing considering how much 3DLand/3DW sold last gen and the numbers Switch is putting up.

But yeah.... That's quite unlikely anyway.
There isn't in reality any chance Odyssey does only 1m, not with the way Switch hardware and software sells. Even 3d World will sell 800k on Wii U. If I wanted to give a smaller window 1,5-2m is a realistic prediction, if it mamages to go over 2m it will be the true successor of Mario 64 also at sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Namco is a good example of what I was talking about earlier.

They're a company that's making dedicated device games for the West and mobile games for Japan, and the Switch is getting lost in the shuffle.

Just to take a look at their last four big games:

Tekken 7: PS4/PC/XB1
Tekken Mobile: iOS/Android

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet: PS4/PC/XB1
Sword Art Online: Integral Factor: iOS/Android

God Eater 3: PS4/PC/XB1
God Eater: Resonant Ops: iOS/Android

Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker: PS4/PC/XB1
Naruto x Boruto: Ninja Voltage: iOS/Android

Yup
And Bandai is just one example
Switch third party situation is in real trouble despite what people yelled at me for months

test_account

XP-39C²
Not the way to look at this, Odyssey (like all Mario games) doesn't really show huge pre-orders or first week sales, they have long, long legs. MH, conversely, on 3DS always had huge pre-order numbers (and with the same months of time before launch too) from core players but bad ratios because the games had a very active audience that would pre-order to get the game first week.
Both Mario and MH games usually sell for a longer period of time, but my point was that i think Odyssey having low numbers now doesnt mean that it will sell bad, far from it i think.

What is your take on the MHW points at this point in time? How many points do you think it will have at the launch day?

I just checked the COMG archive, and i didnt find MH3G, 4 or 4G being available for pre-orders within the same time duration. I did find MHX and MHXX, being at around 250p and 182p respectively. I also found MHP3rd at about 950p. Otherwise true that pre-order numbers excalated more rapidly, but arent people expecting far less from MHW? The general consensus in these threads seems to be around ~1.5m LTD if i'm not mistaken. Then lower pre-orders should also be expected?

ksamedi

Yup
And Bandai is just one example
Switch third party situation is in real trouble despite what people yelled at me for months

While Nirolaks analysis is spot on, Switch does seem like a market with very brisk software sales. I think its a matter of time before all Japanese third parties jump in. The Switch market is just too good to ignore at this point. Especially so because it adds the advantage of a potentially huge Japanese player base as well.

fortunato

Banned
The new Itadaki Street game is releasing in a week and a half. How is it going to sell? Platforms are PS4 and PSV. These are the entries featuring Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Mario characters:

WII Itadaki Street Wii 35.811 211.552 Square Enix 01/12/2011
NDS Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest & Super Mario 140.560 424.948 Square Enix 21/06/2007
PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable [All Versions] 48.118 154.591 Square Enix 25/05/2006
PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special [All Versions] 185.809 399.715 Square Enix 22/12/2004

To me, the platform choice doesn't play in favor of the game. I don't think they'll have trouble in cracking 150k units but as the game will likely stay in Japan, that might be that much. I totally see this game and World of Final Fantasy more fitting Nintendo platforms, as they are more family/kid-friendly games.

This is the first mainline MH game on PS home console (since the original),PC and XB. Persona is a long running series on PS home consoles. Especially for XB, PC users it was probably better to call it World.

I know, but it didn't scare new consumers (I guess there were plenty according to sales number).

The new Itadaki Street game is releasing in a week and a half. How is it going to sell? Platforms are PS4 and PSV. These are the entries featuring Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Mario characters:

WII Itadaki Street Wii 35.811 211.552 Square Enix 01/12/2011
NDS Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest & Super Mario 140.560 424.948 Square Enix 21/06/2007
PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable [All Versions] 48.118 154.591 Square Enix 25/05/2006
PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special [All Versions] 185.809 399.715 Square Enix 22/12/2004

To me, the platform choice doesn't play in favor of the game. I don't think they'll have trouble in cracking 150k units but as the game will likely stay in Japan, that might be that much. I totally see this game and World of Final Fantasy more fitting Nintendo platforms, as they are more family/kid-friendly games.

I know, but it didn't scare new consumers (I guess there were plenty according to sales number).

Sure but there's no denying that a new title is more welcoming than a numbered title of a series that has never come to the platform and so the devs went with that.

Its a minor point either way. Whats more important is that MHW is being treated as a mainline title and made by the main team.

fortunato

Banned
Final Fantasy VII

Yeah, there are pretty notable examples of numbered entries that didn't scare away any consumer and, in fact, attract plenty of new ones. In the same franchise there was Monster Hunter 3, the first chapter on a Nintendo platform, and following a non-existant entry in the West (Monster Hunter 2). IIRC, Ace Combat 6 on Xbox 360 (the first mainline entry on a non-Sony platform) sold more than Ace Combat V in the US.

Eolz

This is the first mainline MH game on PS home console (since the original),PC and XB. Persona is a long running series on PS home consoles. Especially for XB, PC users it was probably better to call it World.

This worked for Final Fantasy in the west if you prefer ;)

Edit: lol beaten, forgot to refresh.
But yeah, plenty of examples, it's World instead of 5 more for marketing purposes and in case it doesn't do as well as expected and they decide to use 5 on another title. Not the first time this technique would have been used either.
Calling it World or 5 doesn't make it more appealing to newcomers.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
While Nintendo is expanding very aggressively, there's only so many qualified developers in Japan, and a lot of them are effectively married to their publisher for life due to how employee-worker relations play out in Japan.

If a third party publisher has the skill set they don't, or a skill set they're in short supply of, it makes a ton of sense to go after.

Can you imagine what Nintendo's line-up would look like if you removed the following studios from it?

Intelligent Systems (Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Paper Mario)
Game Freak (Pokemon)
HAL Laboratories (Kirby, BoxBoy)
Good-Feel (Yoshi)
AlphaDream (Mario & Luigi)
Bandai Namco (Smash Bros, Pokken)
Camelot (Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Golden Sun)
Syn Sophia (Style Savvy)
Koei Tecmo (Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors)
Mercury Steam (Metroid: Samus Returns)
Next-Level (Luigi's Mansion, Punch Out)
Vanpool (The Dillon Series)
Indies Zero (The Retro Game Challenge and NES collections)
HeadStrong (Art Academy)
Jamworks (Culdcept)
Jupiter (Picross)

Sure, any individual entry might not be that impressive, but it really starts adding up, and I didn't include everyone by a long shot.
Truth be told some of those companies while technically 3rd party are built substantially with Nintendo employees or rather given former Nintendo employees. I know with Intelligient systems, that's definitely the case. As they were given a team by Nintendo and worked inside a Nintendo office for a long while.

So it'a less the need for the employee's talent in those case but more how those companies and their relationship grew and developed.

Top Bottom