• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2013 (Jan 21 - Jan 27)

Diablos54

3DS holding strong, Wii U, not so much. It's gonna be a rough few months for the Wii U until the games start hitting, it really seems like the 3DS all over again.

Vita dropped even while having 2 new titles in the top 10 says it all really, and SS isn't going to have much of an impact at this rate, no matter how hard Sony push it, especially considering the new 3DS trinity on the way.

Baki

What are the chances of a spring price drop? The Vita desperately needs one and may actually do some good in Japan (Bring the Vita to PS3 levels lol!)

Nintendo seems to have a track record of bouncing back.

The odds were against them with the: DS - they bounced back.
The odds were against them with the: Wii - they bounced back.
The odds were against them with the: 3DS - they bounced back.

The odds were against them with the: WiiU - ???.

This will be interesting to watch.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I honestly don't understand what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. I mean, how could they have not been prepared for this? They don't really even have third party software to back them up. They've released hardware before but just seems like amateur stuff to me.

When penny pinching catches up to you. They just didnt expand their software studios with any speed or scale to the level Sony has, and people arent exactly astounded by the number of games Sony can bring to the Vita alongside the PS3.

Iwata played the short term game well with the Wii and DS phenomenon, but now the long play plan doesnt seem to have been anywhere in place. Consolidation to portable only seems the only logical route forward at this point because their home console business is a dead end.

Something went wrong with their development I think. I thought they would be fine when Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, and Wii Fit U were all supposed to hit by the end of March.

Iwata's said as much to Japanese reporters today.

HD development's biting Nintendo hard, it seems.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
WiiU: Scotty, I need more power!
Nintendo: I'm givin' 'er all she's got, Cap'n! I don't have enough 3rd parties to push 'er any furtha!

Bulzeeb

Why would a teaser for a game with no title and no release date increase sales for a hardware in any meaningful way? Lol.

true that, I expect the wii u to get some decent sales once some of the games announced on the NDirect are launched, lets be honnest, the wii U has no games rigth now

WiiU: Scotty, I need more power!
Nintendo: I'm givin' 'er all she's got, Cap'n! I don't have enough 3rd parties to push 'er any furtha!

come on, if you by a Nintendo hardware you are not expecting much thrid party support, and rigth now they also lack first/second party games

test_account

XP-39C²
Really bad for Wii U

Is it doing better or worse than Ps3 in the same timeframe?
You mean in totalt or weekly numbers? In total, the WiiU is doing better because of the much stronger start (308k for Wii, and 81k for PS3). Weekly numbers, the PS3 did 71,727 in it's 8th week. Maybe not a 100% fair comparison because the PS3 launched earlier, so it's 8th week was right in the holiday season. But in end of January, the PS3 was around 19k.

oh my

lol
It has outsold all WiiU games combined as well. Animal Crossing is a beast.

Good because there'd be less systems to buy (this is more consumer focused).

Bad because Nintendo wouldn't be able to make as much money with only one product, and if it doesn't do well they can't fall back with one of their systems at least doing well as seen with 3DS's success and Wii U's meh sales so far (this is more business focused).

If they struggle to make money on two products though...
Also I disagree they'd make more money actually. They can re-engage with a wider audience and basically sell numerous consoles to a single household.

I like how Nippon Ichi has become so insignificant that no one here is even surprised that their major title from the Disgaea team on the PS3 has cratered. Lulz. :(
That's what they want you to think! In reality, it exceeded their expectations, that's how all NIS games work, and then we go "wtf but it sold like shit".

EDarkness

Something went wrong with their development I think. I thought they would be fine when Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, and Wii Fit U were all supposed to hit by the end of March.

It's fine that some games got pushed back. Things happen, but to have nothing else to fill in gaps? No third party software to help as well? Things must be really bad back at Nintendo HQ for it to be this way. This isn't just about third party software, but the lack of first party software really shows how bad the third party situation is...at least in Japan.

I always come back to the fact that they said they learned from the 3DS. What exactly did they learn? Looking at the release schedule for the next couple of months, I'd say they didn't learn anything.

Oersted

This week looks a lot like statistical noise and nothing else. Animal Crossing -17%, DMC -70, but both have still the lead...

Outside crappy Wii U numbers (deserved given the poor release list, and expected), I would focus the discussion on two themes:

-Fantasy Life; even though it has been sold out for almost a month, people still are willing to play it. That's a good news for Level-5, the game might have legs and proves that the company is still able to release successful software; Youkai Watch might succeed as well.

-Vita hardware; this week showed what I already said last year: it's useless to advertise the line-up of Feb / Mar when it's relying on existing userbase. If 50k software cannot move any units (or just a few hundreds), the platform is dead. The market has spoken: it does not want Vita.

I like how Nippon Ichi has become so insignificant that no one here is even surprised that their major title from the Disgaea team on the PS3 has cratered. Lulz. :(

I thought it was clear Nippon Ichi was nothing outside Disgaea...? I mean, they did not establish any new IP recently, and they keep porting Disgaea everywhere. When fans will be tired of two Disgaea per year, Nippon Ichi will be in a though position (not that they're celebrating now).

Glad to see Demon Gaze up there.
I'm currently hooked on it. Fantastic dungeon crawler.
Word is, Experience will be bringing Labyrinth Cross Blood to Vita in April too.
I'm totally cool with this.

3DS holding strong, Wii U, not so much. It's gonna be a rough few months for the Wii U until the games start hitting, it really seems like the 3DS all over again.

Vita dropped even while having 2 new titles in the top 10 says it all really, and SS isn't going to have much of an impact at this rate, no matter how hard Sony push it, especially considering the new 3DS trinity on the way.
I think Nintendo should have waited an extra year before unveiling the Wii U. Put out Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade(NA/EU) as high profile releases alongside Skyward Sword in 2011 for Wii to keep it going. Then showed Wii U off at this previous E3(2012). Its obviously painful that they underestimated HD development and started restructuring late. Otherwise we would have seen at least 1 other big 1st party title released for Wii U. I know this is all going to be old news come March when the true 1st party games hit and Wii U starts its 3DS rise but this is still painful to watch for the next month

Lionheart

Nintendo seems to have a track record of bouncing back.

The odds were against them with the: DS - they bounced back.
The odds were against them with the: Wii - they bounced back.
The odds were against them with the: 3DS - they bounced back.

The odds were against them with the: WiiU - ???.

This will be interesting to watch.
The odds (sales wise) were never against them with the Wii. The internet ('hardcore gamers') may have been against them, but I think from the initial impressions it was clear it had a big chance to be a success, resulting in shortages from day one.

But yeah, I think they will be able to turn sales around, but no more than the 3DS did (doing very well in Japan, decently elsewhere).

TyRaNtM

Neo Member
I think that is safe to show this:
mcax66tg

It's a joke.

I think Nintendo should have waited an extra year before unveiling the Wii U. Put out Pikmin 3 and Xenoblade(NA/EU) as high profile releases alongside Skyward Sword in 2011 for Wii to keep it going. Then showed it off at this previous E3(2012). Its obviously painful that they underestimated HD development and started restructuring late. Otherwise we would have seen at least 1 other big 1st party title for Wii U. I know this is all going to be old news come March when the true 1st party games hit and Wii U starts its 3DS rise but this is still painful to watch for the next month

You're underestimating how useful might one year of advantage. When in 2014 PS4 and Nextbox will suffer the obvious lack of games that every console has just outside the launch period, Nintendo will release their AAA titles, will cut the price (if not before), will do bundles and announcements. Having so many big games for the launch is not a feasible situation for publishers.

smbu2000

WiiU's fucked now, but games are coming that people want. Until then... I wonder if it'll go lower than 10,000.

I'm currently conflicted between buying a Vita or a Wii U. Leaning towards Vita. Found a White 3G for 19,000 yen used (reg 30,000).

If you don't mind black, I've seen used black wifi Vitas for 15,800 yen at the GEO near me. The used 3G black one is 16,800 yen.
If you have any GEO's near you, you should check them out.

You're underestimating how useful might one year of advantage. When in 2014 PS4 and Nextbox will suffer the obvious lack of games that every console has just outside the launch period, Nintendo will release their AAA titles, will cut the price (if not before), will do bundles and announcements. Having so many big games for the launch is not a feasible situation for publishers.
I did say Wii U is going to turn around starting in March. Not concerned with PS4/Xbox 720 atm. They will definitely have their own problems

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I did say Wii U is going to turn around starting in March. Not concerned with PS4/Xbox 720 atm. They will definitely have their own problems

The absolute earliest it could turn around would be April if Wii Fit U and another big title hits.

NotLiquid

I thought it was clear Nippon Ichi was nothing outside Disgaea...? I mean, they did not establish any new IP recently, and they keep porting Disgaea everywhere. When fans will be tired of two Disgaea per year, Nippon Ichi will be in a though position (not that they're celebrating now).

NIS and NISA publish the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, which some argue is on par or possibly more popular than Disgaea in the west.

Road

First week / LTD:

[PSP] Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman (Nippon Ichi Software) {2010-03-11} - 28,537 / 50,802

[PS3] Kamisama to Unmei Kakumei no Paradox (Nippon Ichi Software) {2013.01.24} - 24.903 / NEW

Nintendo doesn't even seem to care about their 1 year lead. They abandoned the Wii years early to get the jump on Sony and MS only to release an unfinished console with no games? Pikmin, Wii Fit, etc. are not enough, Nintendo is basically throwing away every bit of mindshare they could have had with a year lead and with the Durango/Orbis announcements coming soon it will be even worse.

DaBoss

PSV looks like it is going to hit 1.2 million next week.

Vita taking up 2/3rds of the top 6. Yeah, boyee.
How about this: if I ignore every title outside the top 6 and overlook the number of units sold inside the top 6, the Vita and 3DS are on equal footing for software sales this week.

How d'ya like them apples?

This is too much. It is actually 1/3 of the top 6. To claim that they are in equal footing is just so ridiculous. You've got 2 titles that have been released for a while for the 3DS, and then 2 titles for the PSV that have been released in the past week. When next week comes and the titles will maybe go somewhere in the top 15, will you be saying "2/15 of the top 15 are PSV titles".

javac

When penny pinching catches up to you. They just didnt expand their software studios with any speed or scale to the level Sony has, and people arent exactly astounded by the number of games Sony can bring to the Vita alongside the PS3.

Iwata played the short term game well with the Wii and DS phenomenon, but now the long play plan doesnt seem to have been anywhere in place. Consolidation to portable only seems the only logical route forward at this point because their home console business is a dead end.

I think we're all either getting ahead of ourselves, or writing some fan fiction on what we wish to happen to Nintendo because they 'aren't the same any more' and they 'penny pinch' when maybe its the fact that Nintendo are are toy company that started off making playing cards while Microsoft is a software giant with billions of dollars invested into networking and software and Sony is a multinational conglomerate corporation, I mean that cant be it right?

I mean really, people should keep away from the sensationalist 'Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft doomed' stuff unless they are able to keep their word on it and be prepared to eat crow when the inevitable happens and Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all have successful consoles that make profit, make their customers happy and continue on their merry way. Just maybe.

vareon

The absolute earliest it could turn around would be April if Wii Fit U and another big title hits.

I also question the performance of Wii Fit U. Casual titles (non AC) on 3DS did very little impact, and I always lump Wii Fit into that category.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I also question the performance of Wii Fit U. Casual titles (non AC) on 3DS did very little impact, and I always lump Wii Fit into that category.

Very true, but at the very least it has potential- something you really can't say about anything else coming anytime soon.

Nintendo doesn't even seem to care about their 1 year lead. They abandoned the Wii years early to get the jump on Sony and MS only to release an unfinished console with no games?

They will have some game before Summer. In the West Q1 is not so horrible with also MH, Rayman, Lego. The important thing is that they will have games whene the other two platforms will be in their post-launch fatigue. The one year lead is useful to re-evaluate the strategy without worrying too much about direct competition (see: 3DS). They could cut the price for the holiday season, and that's because they launched one year earlier. When the other platforms will be released, Wii U will have supposedly Mario Kart, Yoshi, and other AAA games. I mean, Q1 and Q2 look horrible, but a one year advantage might be useful.

SmokyDave

PSV looks like it is going to hit 1.2 million next week.
Nah, that's way too high. It'll be in the thousands, not millions.

This is too much. It is actually 1/3 of the top 6. To claim that they are in equal footing is just so ridiculous. You've got 2 titles that have been released for a while for the 3DS, and then 2 titles for the PSV that have been released in the past week. When next week comes and the titles will maybe go somewhere in the top 15, will you be saying "2/15 of the top 15 are PSV titles".
I can't believe you took the 'equal footing' post seriously.

Top Bottom