• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2014 (Sep 29 - Oct 05)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Famitsu numbers for FF5 are pretty good

11./07. [WIU] Fatal Frame: Oracle of the Sodden Raven <ADV> (Nintendo) {2014.09.27} (¥7.128) - 8.100 / 40.576 <80-100%> (-75%)

zeromcd73

When you put it like that...
Here's a full one nicely aligned and pretty coded :)

Code:
[B]33 Weeks launch aligned (Famitsu)[/B]
GBA: 3,433,896
WII: 2,839,133
PS2: 2,835,230
NDS: 2,332,198	
3DS: 2,028,570	
PSP: 1,562,593
GC: 1,342,890
WIIU: 996,825
PS3: 982,947
PSV: 821,205		
DC: 724,257	
PS4: 717,338
XBX: 280,963
360: 151,366

sörine

Banned
Glad we can all now officially accept Japan as the irrelevant market it hat become.
I think it's more some need to come to terms with PS4 (and consoles in general) being irrelevant in Japan. And handhelds look headed the same direction long-term. The Japanese market overall is in better shape than ever.

Of course this isn't exclusively a Japanese phenomenon either. They're just slightly ahead of the curve.

Amazon Amiibo

#17 Link
#24 Kirby
#25 Mario
#27 Zelda (sold out)
#30 Marth
#31 Samus (sold out)
#35 Pikachu
#37 Villager
#40 Peach
#42 Pit
#46 Fox
#47 Captain Falcon
#49 Yoshi
#50 Luigi
#58 Donkey Kong
#61 Wii Fit Trainer
#64 Little Mac
#67 Diddy Kong

Poor your fave.

Xater

Because the Playstation is not doing well there?

Home consoles in general are not doing well over there. The dystopian future John TV presented on the latest 8-4 Play is probably realer than most people would like to think.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;133422203 said:
I think it's more some need to come to terms with PS4 (and consoles in general) being irrelevant in Japan. And handhelds look headed the same direction long-term. The Japanese market overall is in better shape than ever.

Of course this isn't exclusively a Japanese phenomenon either. They're just slightly ahead of the curve.

I don't think we can say this for Nintendo handhelds, to be honest.

Opiate

Home consoles in general are not doing well over there. The dystopian future John TV presented on the latest 8-4 Play is probably realer than most people would like to think.

Well, home consoles not doing well there doesn't make the market irrelevant. They still produce a lot of influential portable software and their mobile segmentis highly developed.

I haven't seen this. What is it that John TV suggests?

I bet anything *&#969;* would sell better in 'Merica if they market it to Neptunia fans. Surprised there's no localization announced yet. Not too surprised by it's sales though.

I'd have thought IFI would've been all over this since it's an early-gen Japanese game on the console with the biggest western userbase. Get in there early like all the Cross-Edge-esque rubbish stuff that released early on PS3 but sold well enough.

Thing is, there's not much other stuff on the console to say that the userbase that is there is interested in these games. Natural Doctrine & Akiba's Trip, but they're both also on PS3Vita. So I'm not sure it would sell too well.

Still, only one way to find out.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There are 4 WiiU games in the Top20, not 3 @OP.

Positively surprised that Bayonetta is still there BTW.

Since I'm not doing it manually I don't see how a mistake is possible.
06./00. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts Strter Pack: HD 1.5 + II.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.10.02} (¥10.584) - 13.656 / NEW <80-100%>

Strange, this is out of Media Create top 20 and sold more than 13k on Famitsu.

Who says it's out?

in week 4 smash bros basically didn't drop, while yw2 dropped in week 4, smash hold is better but yw2's numbers were bigger by absolute numbers, this bodes well for ssb.

pretty crazy that everything dropped this week, revision affecting the whole market?

Usobuko

Banned
sörine;133422203 said:

I wish they find a second wind with collaborations in Asia.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Amazon Amiibo

#17 Link
#24 Kirby
#25 Mario
#27 Zelda (sold out)
#30 Marth
#31 Samus (sold out)
#35 Pikachu
#37 Villager
#40 Peach
#42 Pit
#46 Fox
#47 Captain Falcon
#49 Yoshi
#50 Luigi
#58 Donkey Kong
#61 Wii Fit Trainer
#64 Little Mac
#67 Diddy Kong

Poor your fave.

Clearly Nintendo doesn't understand the demand for female characters. :p

sörine;133422203 said:

I don't think we can say this for Nintendo handhelds, to be honest.
I think they're still on the way to further decline, but as the equivalent of core oriented home consoles in the West, they seem to have some life left in them.

The issue arises if they become completely unviable in the West. Like it's really unlikely that there will be another Sony handheld since even if it's the second best performing dedicated platform in Japan (which isn't saying that much), it makes no sense to launch another one because it sells absolutely jack shit anywhere else.

PlayStation only?
I think he means that Japan is very strong on mobile even if these hardware charts look dire.

Scum

Glad we can all now officially accept Japan as the irrelevant market it hat become.

I don't think Japan is irrelevant. But that's me. lol
Just consoles, as they are are doomed. There's still a good enough market there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think they're still on the way to further decline, but as the equivalent of core oriented home consoles in the West, they seem to have some life left in them.

The issue becomes if they become completely unviable in the West. Like it's really unlikely that there will be another Sony handheld since even if it's the second biggest dedicated platform in Japan (which isn't saying that much), it makes no sense to launch another one because it sells absolutely jack shit anywhere else.

I think he means that Japan is very strong on mobile.

Japan is very strong in mobile, and I could agree with the portable Sony statement (of being unable to sustain another project despite being the second best selling console in Japan, with very struggling western sales), but Mpl90 distinction about Nintendo portable still remains.
roughly speaking just for the sake of discussion, I'd say that a 20 LTD millions console in Japan, 65 LTD millions total worlwide, hardly lead us into a world without a Nintendo portable device, imho.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Japan is very strong in mobile, and I could agree with the portable Sony statement (of being unable to sustain another project despite being the second best selling console in Japan, with very struggling western sales), but Mpl90 distinction about Nintendo portable still remains.
roughly speaking just for the sake of discussion, I'd say that a 20 LTD millions console in Japan, 65 LTD millions total worlwide, hardly lead us into a world without a Nintendo portable device, imho.

I don't think there's an imminent issue (in that I think there will be another handheld that's at least some level of successful), but if the 4DS is also a decline generation, where's that lead eventually?

Or I guess rephrased another way, there wasn't really a huge issue for Nintendo home consoles in terms of being viable until they finally took enough steps down (excluding the Wii) that the numbers got too low.

It's gotten pretty hard to make a console game in Japan for example if you don't have some international appeal or aren't also on a handheld. If we moved back to the PS2 generation or even the middle of the Wii/PS3 generation I don't think many people would have had that immediate concern.

Here though, the erosionary concern would be from overseas decline first I feel, since again it's harder to lose the last platform since there isn't a great home for a lot of what local developers make otherwise.

That said, I guess you could hypothetically sit on a platform for a very long time if you thought you couldn't launch another due to external factors. We'll see how long it takes the software support to evaporate on Vita, sine that's essentially a similar situation to a nigh-worst-case scenario.

zeromcd73

:)
I meant this as a decisive argument that PS4 is dead in Japan and that for the forseeable future.
I'm not giving up just yet on PS4 just yet since I can count the Japanese games that aren't ports that released this year on it on one hand. If it bombs next year I give up hope :(

L~A

Dang it... first time in 2014 that Youkai Watch (1) isn't in the Top 20.

End of an Era.

lefantome

Code:

Ps4 has never been through the holyday season yet.

Opiate

PlayStation only?

No, it's just the figure quoted by Xater. Some systems are doing poorly (Wii U, PS4, Vita) while some do well (3DS, iOS, other mobile platforms).

If you are a console centric gamer for whom the rest of the gaming world is invisible, then yes, Japan is now irrelevant. The home console market has declined massively there. If you are just looking at the market as a whole, Japan is doing quite well, with some major new players (e.g. GungHo) growing rapidly in just the last few years.

Orgen

[WII] Fatal Frame 2: Wii Edition
1st week: 24.804
2nd week*: 4.502
*Famitsu data

Thanks! Do you have the FF IV second week numbers? I see in japanltdranking that FF IV and the remake did almost the same first week but they had a 30.000 difference in the final LTD. Let's see if FF V can surpass 75.000 LTD (although the movie bombed, right?)

The issue arises if they become completely unviable in the West. Like it's really unlikely that there will be another Sony handheld since even if it's the second best performing dedicated platform in Japan (which isn't saying that much), it makes no sense to launch another one because it sells absolutely jack shit anywhere else.
Well its not like Sony didn't try or didn't want the Vita to succeed in the west, no doubt they're primary focus will be to expand their portable business in the west, its just that Japan is the region that cares about handheld and not the west. Smartphones succeeding everywhere in general will benefit Sony against Nintendo, since the PSP died long before smartphones took off, I think next-gen they will take the tablet/mobile hybrid like Nintendo that will also include the traditional dedicated market, instead of leaving it altogether.

Its not gonna look much better after this holiday season.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well its not like Sony didn't try or want the Vita to succeed in the west, no doubt they're primary focus will be to expand their portable business in the west, its just that Japan is the region that cares about handheld and not the west. Smartphones succeeding everywhere in general will benefit Sony against Nintendo, I think next-gen they will take the tablet/mobile hybrid like Nintendo that will also include the traditional dedicated market, instead of leaving it altogether.

While it's not impossible, and I used to humor this more, the most compelling argument someone made to me was basically that if they're having a ton of content come off the Google Play store, where do they make their money?

At that point you basically have to make it off of hardware margins in the West even if you could get local developers to make content directly for the device that's sold at retail.

Once you set up that you're playing mobile games natively, you also give developers an incentive to just go that route directly even if they were making games for dedicated devices, since they can target both even more easily.

Code:

GBA: 3,433,896
PS2: 2,835,230
XBX: 280,963

Not an excuse for poor performance. PS2 and GBA sold 3m+ before their first holiday.

Thanks! Do you have the FF IV second week numbers? I see in japanltdranking that FF IV and the remake did almost the same first week but they had a 30.000 difference in the final LTD. Let's see if FF V can surpass 75.000 LTD (although the movie bombed, right?)
Rounded to 8,900, slightly better than FFV.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For first week / LTD:

64: 183,097 / 1,632,055
Melee: 357,101 / 1,349,418
Brawl: 816,198 / 2,303,103
3DS: 987,239 / 1,539,505 and counting

Might get over 64 even without digital next week.

SerTapTap

I'd have thought IFI would've been all over this since it's an early-gen Japanese game on the console with the biggest western userbase. Get in there early like all the Cross-Edge-esque rubbish stuff that released early on PS3 but sold well enough.

Thing is, there's not much other stuff on the console to say that the userbase that is there is interested in these games. Natural Doctrine & Akiba's Trip, but they're both also on PS3Vita. So I'm not sure it would sell too well.

Still, only one way to find out.

I'm pretty sure that unlike in Japan a significant amount of those PS3 owners interested in that sort of game have or will transition to PS4. I wonder if Neptunia V2 won't be their first western PS4 game though, they'd have to be completely insane to not localize that.

While it's not impossible, and I used to humor this more, the most compelling argument someone made to me was basically that if they're having a ton of content come off the Google Play store, where do they make their money?

At that point you basically have to make it off of hardware margins in the West even if you could get local developers to make content directly for the device that's sold at retail.

Once you set up that you're playing mobile games natively, you also give developers an incentive to just go that route directly even if they were making games for dedicated devices, since they can target both even more easily.
Well the lines are gonna get more blurred in terms of mobile and dedicated handheld games, they have to support it one way or another, the other option is leaving the entire market altogether. I just don't see why they would leave when the PS4's success will help make next-gen's migration a bit easier for Sony, just as the PSP sold well in its early life. They have the the best third party support in the industry on a global scale, they just have to figure out a way to leverage the support to their portable business too, it's the same problem Nintendo face in regards to third party support for their consoles and western support in general for both their consoles. In this sense Nintendo's job is even harder than Sony when it comes to third party support and they surely haven't left any markets.

AniHawk

i wonder if ssb 3ds can hit brawl's numbers. if shortages are real, then it should have a shot with the new hardware and holidays coming up. really hadn't expected it to do this well (or for the game to actually work pretty well from what i've played)

i wonder if ssb 3ds can hit brawl's numbers. if shortages are real, then it should have a shot with the new hardware and holidays coming up. really hadn't expected it to do this well (or for the game to actually work pretty well from what i've played)
It'll easily surpass it, portability is just way too big in Japan.

prateeko

I had not looked at these numbers in ages. I honestly had no idea the PSV was doing as well as it is over in Japan. Is it mainly flying on shared apps that you normally get on mobile and if it's doing well, why is it receiving such poor support?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Sales were largely unchanged this week, it's not that far away, and we're not even into the heart of the holiday season, so I'm pretty optimistic on the possibility.

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm not giving up just yet on PS4 just yet since I can count the Japanese games that aren't ports that released this year on it on one hand. If it bombs next year I give up hope :(

If MGSV, FFXV and RE7 were releasing relatively close to each other in 2015 then there would be more hope. Can MGSV alone sustain PS4 sales for the first half of 2015?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't think there's an imminent issue (in that I think there will be another handheld that's at least some level of successful), but if the 4DS is also a decline generation, where's that lead eventually?

Or I guess rephrased another way, there wasn't really a huge issue for Nintendo home consoles in terms of being viable until they finally took enough steps down (excluding the Wii) that the numbers got too low.

It's gotten pretty hard to make a console game in Japan for example if you don't have some international appeal or aren't also on a handheld. If we moved back to the PS2 generation or even the middle of the Wii/PS3 generation I don't think many people would have had that immediate concern.

Here though, the erosionary concern would be from overseas decline first I feel, since again it's harder to lose the last platform since there isn't a great home for a lot of what local developers make otherwise.

That said, I guess you could hypothetically sit on a platform for a very long time if you thought you couldn't launch another due to external factors. We'll see how long it takes the software support to evaporate on Vita, sine that's essentially a similar situation to a nigh-worst-case scenario.

everything you said is right, but I think that projecting the discussion until the possible declining LTD of the 4DS is a little bit too much for me ;p
we saw that the market can have fluctuation, change of market leader, brand new unexpected successes, burning failure...I mean, it is a very "risky" or unpredictable thing to imagine a firm scenario that will take place from...2016 to 2021? More or less

yes, generally speaking, mobile entertainment is growing and portable declining. That said I'd say that the 3Ds is a pretty succesfull product and I firmly believe that Nintendo will propose another iteration of their portable hardware business.

This could see another decline from the 3DS LTD numbers, still being relevant for the market and for their business. Everything else is a little to much of speculations for me

I'd discuss Sony handheld department and Nintendo home console one fate, but not the post-4DS destiny right now :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I had not looked at these numbers in ages. I honestly had no idea the PSV was doing as well as it is over in Japan. Is it mainly flying on shared apps that you normally get on mobile and if it's doing well, why is it receiving such poor support?

For what the modern standards of the Japanese market are, the support actually isn't half bad.

That said it's also sharing heavily with PS3/PS4, though mobile sharing is certainly increasing as traditional publishers go more heavily into mobile.

L~A

Just realised that DQX 3DS finally reached 100k.

15./11. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104) - 4.696 / 101.145 (-34%)

Well, I'll be damned. I certainly wasn't expecting that. Before launch, I was thinking that 50k would be decent numbers, but it ended up selling twice as much.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
everything you said is right, but I think that projecting the discussion until the possible declining LTD of the 4DS is a little bit too much for me ;p
we saw that the market can have fluctuation, change of market leader, brand new unexpected successes, burning failure...I mean, it is a very "risky" or unpredictable thing to imagine a firm scenario that will take place from...2016 to 2021? More or less

yes, generally speaking, mobile entertainment is growing and portable declining. That said I'd say that the 3Ds is a pretty succesfull product and I firmly believe that Nintendo will propose another iteration of their portable hardware business.

This could see another decline from the 3DS LTD numbers, still being relevant for the market and for their business. Everything else is a little to much of speculations for me

I'd discuss Sony handheld department and Nintendo home console one fate, but not the post-4DS destiny right now :p
Oh yes, I can definitely appreciate that the long term horizon is a bit far off to have a really indepth discussion.

I just wanted to clarify that my concerns aren't immediate, and that when I'm pessimistic it's not really "This will do awfully in six months." or "The 4DS will bomb off the face of the earth.", but more that I'm just looking at a trend line both in worldwide sales and publisher behavior and feeling that it's not super rosy, since to an extent the discussion does enter that arena in the thread from time to time. I only bring it up from time to time because when people talk about "Everything is dead.", that's something that happened over a very long time, and the check for the statement would be "Well, are they heading in a direction that looks bad, or is there currently a strong reason to believe change is coming?".

Obviously things have a very large window in which they can change.

As for this Fall, the 3DS I feel is holding well for an imminent new device release and it's certainly showing a lot of software strength. There is demand for the content on the system certainly.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If MGSV, FFXV and RE7 were releasing relatively close to each other in 2015 then there would be more hope. Can MGSV alone sustain PS4 sales for the first half of 2015?

Well, with RE Revelations 2 being early 2015, I don't think we'll see RE7 so soon.
MGSV and FFXV could be not so neat to each other neither, considering that if FFXV will be a 15 title, will probably be a Fall release
But PS4 will have other games you didn't mention in early 15: Bloodborne (the most important exclusive so far, I think, until FFXV will hit, being only on Xbone other than PS4) and DQ Heroes (that to me is a million seller, PS3/4 combined)
I already said this: PS4 will receive a very solid support, even if mixed in terms of PS3/Vita/4 multiplatform releases, and I think it will start selling 3DS-like* numbers from early 15 easily (or even more)

*first half of 2013 3ds numbers, not the hottest ones

DNAbro

We don't have a MGS release date and there is also Dragon Quest and Persona.

Top Bottom