• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2012 (Oct 15 - Oct 21)

plufim

Absolutely.

Why, if it maintains this level of growth, its weekly sales will beat 3DS's after just 23 weeks, provided 3DS stays absolutely steady! :D

disco-stu.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Good second week for Bravely Default, considering it's apparently out of stock in most places. I expected Project X Zone to do a lot better.

Why was anyone expecting a Vita hardware bump this week? Of the two games it got, one is just an up-rez+voice of a PSP game from last year and one is a PSP up-port of a PSP game that came out the same day. Neither of these would sell any hardware.

AKB1/149: Love Election. It's coming to both PSP and Vita, but I think AKB fans will be more inclined to buy the Vita version than say, LBX fans.

Seeing the current performances on comgnet and amazon I'm thinking it could be even more one sided than little battlers was

saichi

Famitsu:

Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light - 34,891 / 154,525 (ltd 200,364)

EDIT: O it's second week.

I guess everyone is wrong expecting VITA to be back at 10k level this week.

AKB1/149: Love Election. It's coming to both PSP and Vita, but I think AKB fans will be more inclined to buy the Vita version than say, LBX fans.

And it will be released 12/20. That's almost two months from now. :(

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks, BD is not quite as far ahead as I thought it was, but that's still a great result.

The difference is that FFG was still selling its first shipment in its second week, while BD sold its first shipment and started selling the second shipment ( which it seems wasn't that big to begin with, given there are many reports of sold out).

DGRE

Banned
Vita - 6.791

Zero no Kiseki Evolution - 21.518
Little Battlers eXperience W - 16.842

Damn, I was expecting a lot more. This was supposed to be a nice week!

Vita could hit a new low every week from now on. Hold on to your wigs.
Sub 5k at the end of November? Definitely a possibility.

duckroll

Naming it LBX W makes it sound like it's just another remake. Why didn't they slapped a 2 on it?

It only sounds like that if you're not the target audience. There will be zero confusion in Japan because they've been running the anime sequel series for some time now, and it has the same title. This is a cross-media product, so there's a decent level of awareness for the brand beyond just gaming.

Takao

Banned
Why was anyone expecting a Vita hardware bump this week? Of the two games it got, one is just an up-rez+voice of a PSP game from last year and one is a PSP up-port of a PSP game that came out the same day. Neither of these would sell any hardware.

I wasn't expecting a big bump by any means, but I'd be lying if I said I expected this.

Everyone cannot be happy with PXZ sales.

Yeah, it's a flop. The initial shipment was big, and apparently a huge chunk of its first week sales were preorders. Imageepoch's PS3 debut is also doing pretty poorly.

jimmypython

lol Vita. Last week is probably the biggest week in terms of new software until next spring.

Next big thing is two new color versions in Nov.

Good second week for Bravely Default, considering it's apparently out of stock in most places. I expected Project X Zone to do a lot better.
Chances of getting a localized PXZ keep getting slimmer and slimmer.

BDFF is out of stock at most places, otherwise it'd've done better this week, right?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that the 4 interesting tidbits of this week are:

1) Good second week for BDFF especially considering that it seems sold out in various shops (retail and online)

2) New PS3 model is doing it right, helping the console to keep better weekly sales

3) Huge drop for the LBX brand compared to the first iteration. Probably PSP (slowing down) and Vita (not so hot...) are weaker than the PSP back in the days. Or the brand is weaker due to the continous re-release of the first episode, pushing back potential consumer waiting for the "1.5" revision

4) Vita struggles both hardware and software wise. There are reasons for this, but I don't know if there will be more important releases compared to LBW and The Legend of Heroes, so...

duckroll

I'll say that of the recent portable releases, Bravely Default is definitely the big winner. It's doing better than expected, and it had a lower shipment which sold out and has pretty good word of mouth.

LBX W didn't do badly either. It's at about 100k at launch, which while lower than the original game, is substantially stronger than the recent expansion and re-release games, which implies there's still a fanbase. It's on decline unless Level 5 does something to turn it around, but it's definitely not selling poorly.

PXZ definitely underperformed, but it's from a shitty team in Monolithsoft anyway, so I don't really have any sympathy. If anything, it might reflect that people actually played the previous games the team made and played them, and have a negative opinion on it! :D

Tokitowa = ROFLMAO Imageepoch sucks. Saving JRPG? How about saving your own shitty company first? :)

Cipherr

I'm starting to genuinely think the Vita might be done for. I have been sort of holding back on that because its such an extreme thing. But this thing might genuinely be dead in Japan. I mean like, seriously. Its at freaking 6k... I mean, how high does the holidays REALLY push this thing? 30k-40k for a few weeks?

Jesus.

liger05

Its over for the Vita. Can anyone honestly say they see the vita at anytime selling 50k a week (not including holiday season).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I'm starting to genuinely think the Vita might be done for. I have been sort of holding back on that because its such an extreme thing. But this thing might genuinely be dead in Japan. I mean like, seriously. Its at freaking 6k... I mean, how high does the holidays REALLY push this thing? 30k-40k for a few weeks?

Jesus.

At some point you have to ignore what seems far fetched and look at reality. Reality says Vita is selling at an insanely low weekly number and the current software list is anemic at best.

I see no realistic path towards salvaging things, barring Soul Sacrifice turning into Monster Hunter.

Its over for the Vita. Can anyone honestly say they see the vita at anytime selling 50k a week (not including holiday season).

It won't even sell 50k in the holiday season, maybe next year on some odd weeks with a biggish release it might do 30k or something but that's it

Takao

Banned
PXZ definitely underperformed, but it's from a shitty team in Monolithsoft anyway, so I don't really have any sympathy. If anything, it might reflect that people actually played the previous games the team made and played them, and have a negative opinion on it! :D

First week was pretty much identical to Namco X Capcom IIRC, which says A) SEGA has no relevance and B) some people really like janky SRPGs made by Monolith?

It'll affect its sales during next weeks, probably.

The glitches were found out immediately, and given the fanbase on Vita would be the enthusiast kind I have to imagine word spread fast.

Cipherr

At some point you have to ignore what seems far fetched and look at reality. Reality says Vita is selling at an insanely low weekly number and the current software list is anemic at best.

I see no realistic path towards salvaging things, barring Soul Sacrifice turning into Monster Hunter.

Im trying to hold out making such a prediction because I still believe Square Enix will give the Vita a very important and anticipated game. Who knows what it will be, but they have really been there for Sony. But its starting to reach a point where developers in Japan absolutely HAVE to be looking at this and changing their plans. There's just no way in hell they aren't noticing this by now.

Toss in a handful (or more), successes on the competing handheld, and they have a fucking disaster on their hands over there. I'm not sure another Crisis Core-esque announcement would even matter anymore at this point. I don't remember the PSP scraping the bottom of the barrel like this.

vareon

Will Bravely Default reach 200k this month?

Also yeah I completely forgot about Tokitowa. And when did the talks of Imageepoch's "savior of JRPG" come from? Is it from their conference?

schuelma

Im trying to hold out making such a prediction because I still believe Square Enix will give the Vita a very important and anticipated game. Who knows what it will be, but they have really been there for Sony.

But like you concede, there really is no logical reason to expect that. Even if SE had some amazing quadruple A game in development for Vita, it makes a lot more sense to either move it completely or do a PSP or PS3 dual release.

There is zero incentive right now to make a high profile Vita exclusive.

Im trying to hold out making such a prediction because I still believe Square Enix will give the Vita a very important and anticipated game. Who knows what it will be, but they have really been there for Sony. But its starting to reach a point where developers in Japan absolutely HAVE to be looking at this and changing their plans. There's just no way in hell they aren't noticing this by now.

Toss in a handful (or more), successes on the competing handheld, and they have a fucking disaster on their hands over there. I'm not sure another Crisis Core-esque announcement would even matter anymore at this point. I don't remember the PSP scraping the bottom of the barrel like this.

Crisis core was announced before the PSP ever released

jimmypython

lack of support from SE, CAPCOM (sigh) and even Kojipro (where is the Vita ZOE HD collection??) makes it impossible for Vita in Japan.

duckroll

Will Bravely Default reach 200k this month?

Also yeah I completely forgot about Tokitowa. And when did the talks of Imageepoch's "savior of JRPG" come from? Is it from their conference?

When Imageepoch first announced they were going into publishing, they had this conference where they hyped up how they were going to save JRPGs and how they love the genre blahblahblah. All talk. The head of Imageepoch is full of empty promises and has no real idea how to build his studio with good developers. He doesn't have the business sense of Hino either, so even the marketing comes off as fake and cheap.

Takao

Banned
lack of support from SE, CAPCOM (sigh) and even Kojipro (where is the Vita ZOE HD collection??) makes it impossible for Vita in Japan.

ZoE HD is dead and I'm not certain it entirely has to do with Vita's sales. Apparently the collection isn't running as well as one would expect it to on PS3/360 so imagine how "well" it would on Vita ...

ZoE HD is dead and I'm not certain it entirely has to do with Vita's sales. Apparently the collection isn't running as well as one would expect it to on PS3/360 so imagine how "well" it would on Vita ...

I guess Armature is back out of work again. Such a waste of talent.

Im trying to hold out making such a prediction because I still believe Square Enix will give the Vita a very important and anticipated game. Who knows what it will be, but they have really been there for Sony.

If SE had any major exclusive support to announce for Vita, it'd almost certainly have been announced by now. Crisis Core was announced before PSP launched, KH3D was announced well before 3DS launched, and Bravely Default and the two 3DS DQ games were announced a good deal earlier in 3DS' lifespan than where Vita is now. Maybe that PS3/Vita Unity ARPG and FFX HD are still coming, but I wouldn't expect anything more.

(But even if you're right and SE did announce a Vita exclusive of comparable scope to their big PSP titles, you're also right that one title wouldn't be nearly enough.)

I would not expect anything significant for Vita in the future from SE, Capcom, and Konami, and possibly not even Sega. Their absence from the Vita announcements section of Sony's TGS press conference speaks volumes. Namco is the only major Japanese publisher that seems to still be on board, and their biggest Vita titles aren't exclusive.

I was thinking of Vita holiday sales and realistically what could we could see for a system selling sub-10k numbers within the later weeks of the year? Am I right in assuming that we will start seeing holiday bumps as early as the first week of December, which will then continue through the first (maybe second?) week of January. Wii was pretty similarly dead last year at this point, but I still think it was maintaining 8,000 to 13,000 units a week. Plus it had significant releases (Skyward Sword (lol?), Kirby, Just Dance, Inazuma Eleven, + evergreen titles), and Nintendo hardware always seems to put up unreal numbers through the holiday, so I'm not sure if it's fair to compare Vita to it at all.

Was there a holiday that a system went into that consisted of almost no software releases and floundering hardware? Dreamcast year 2 maybe?

I think throughout December we will see Vita push close to 20k weeks.

Yeah, it's a flop. The initial shipment was big, and apparently a huge chunk of its first week sales were preorders. Imageepoch's PS3 debut is also doing pretty poorly.

Overshipped, of course, but a flop? How much did it cost to Namco Bandai? Come on, they probably would have recovered the development cost even with 20k.

Spiegel

Sony knew they had one of the shittiest second christmas line up for a gaming system ever and are banking everything on this spring (GE2, PSO2, Soul Sacrifice and most likely a pricedrop).

A well planned pricedrop + these 3 games (and who knows, maybe FFX HAHAHAHAHA) could do wonders for the system. Too bad MH4 is releasing around the same time and there won't be follow up games to carry the momentum because publishers must have zero confidence in the system.

schuelma

A well planned pricedrop + these 3 games (and who knows, maybe FFX HAHAHAHAHA) could do wonders for the system. Too bad MH4 is releasing around the same time and there won't be follow up games to carry the momentum because publishers must have zero confidence in the system.

I dunno. Those 3 games just by themselves with nothing substantial as a follow up strikes me as a temporary bump and nothing more.

vareon

When Imageepoch first announced they were going into publishing, they had this conference where they hyped up how they were going to save JRPGs and how they love the genre blahblahblah. All talk. The head of Imageepoch is full of empty promises and has no real idea how to build his studio with good developers. He doesn't have the business sense of Hino either, so even the marketing comes off as fake and cheap.

Oh my god hahahah this is what I was looking for. Hilarious now.

schuelma

That's... exactly what I said?

:p

I guess I took a bit of an issue with your wording that those games and a price drop could do wonders for the system. I don't even see that coming true for the short term.

But still..point taken :)

Top Bottom