• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 42, 2012 (Oct 15 - Oct 21)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sony knew they had one of the shittiest second christmas line up for a gaming system ever and are banking everything on this spring (GE2, PSO2, Soul Sacrifice and most likely a pricedrop).

A well planned pricedrop + these 3 games (and who knows, maybe FFX HAHAHAHAHA) could do wonders for the system. Too bad MH4 is releasing around the same time and there won't be follow up games to carry the momentum because publishers must have zero confidence in the system.

I agree with you, but we should also remember that

- GE2 is multi with PSP. I think that postponing it to next spring will help in increasing the Vita % of sales compared to PSP ones, but I don't know if this can be a system seller, considering its multiplatform nature.

- PSO2 is a multiplatform online-only game (am I right?) and I think that this will tone down a lot its sales potential (on Vita in Japan at least) compared to a proper main episode like the one that sold a lot on PSP

- Soul sacrifice could be important, being exclusive, but it's also a new IP that must be "tested" on the market

Of course those three games with a good price cut will help a lot Vita in increasing its weekly sales. But we are not talking about three huge million seller titles, as for example was for Mario kart, Mario Land and Monster Hunter last year to re-launch the 3DS in Japan

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Of course those three games with a good price cut will help a lot Vita in increasing its weekly sales. But we are not talking about three huge million seller titles, as for example was for Mario kart, Mario Land and Monster Hunter last year to re-launch the 3DS in Japan

Yeah that was kind of what I was going for- the only reason these titles are considered that significant is because of how terrible Vita's lineup has been up until this point.

BadWolf

I agree with you, but we should also remember that

- GE2 is multi with PSP. I think that postponing it to next spring will help in increasing the Vita % of sales compared to PSP ones, but I don't know if this can be a system seller, considering its multiplatform nature.

- PSO2 is a multiplatform online-only game (am I right?) and I think that this will tone down a lot its sales potential (on Vita in Japan at least) compared to a proper main episode like the one that sold a lot on PSP

- Soul sacrifice could be important, being exclusive, but it's also a new IP that must be "tested" on the market

PSO2 is F2P.

I can see it doing fairly well on Vita.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PSO2 is F2P.

I can see it doing fairly well on Vita.

Maybe, but maybe not not. Depends how good it's offline functions are (if there is any), because being prodominantly online and requiring wifi, seems pointless if your interested in playing it portably. Might as well just get a laptop, probably be a better experience too. It's not like a vita is even outside the laptop price barrier, unless they are vastly more expensive in japan.

duckroll

My understanding is that PSO2 is literally F2P. So it's not going to sell any units at all. It's going to be.... literally free on PSN. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My understanding is that PSO2 is literally F2P. So it's not going to sell any units at all. It's going to be.... literally free on PSN. :p

I think they're releasing some kind of limited edition retail pack with in game items/redeemable game currency, but I could be going insane.

Takao

Banned
I think they're releasing some kind of limited edition retail pack with in game items/redeemable game currency, but I could be going insane.

They released Samurai & Dragons (also F2P on Vita) at retail, so PSO2 Vita definitely would be. Speaking of which, the ever continued updates to S&D implies to me it has done decently for SEGA.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I'm surprised by the lack of impressions of BD. Anyone? How is it, how does it play? I didn't like FF 4WoL, but loved FFIV, VI and IX, will I like this?

I thought VITA would get a decent boost...

saichi

2) New PS3 model is doing it right, helping the console to keep better weekly sales

it fell behind last year's number the week after the new model and RE6 were released. Without any price change, I would say it failed to make any impact.

Takao

Banned
I wonder if SCE provided Level-5 and Tri-Ace tools for it LBX W? Thus far the game doesn't use the second analog stick, nor does it use the touch screen at all. In fact, the player name text had to be inputted with the d-pad via a game proprietary keyboard rather than Vita's OS touch based one. The game itself looks no better than what one would expect a PSP game to look like rendered on Vita. Luckily the game uses a lot of colours so it still looks great.

Sony knew they had one of the shittiest second christmas line up for a gaming system ever and are banking everything on this spring (GE2, PSO2, Soul Sacrifice and most likely a pricedrop).

A well planned pricedrop + these 3 games (and who knows, maybe FFX HAHAHAHAHA) could do wonders for the system. Too bad MH4 is releasing around the same time and there won't be follow up games to carry the momentum because publishers must have zero confidence in the system.

I think they need a redesign, relaunch with new SKUs, price drop, moneyhat some big 3rd party games since there's absolutely nothing in Sony's portfolio that's a System Seller in Japan in order to make this thing relevant.

To be honest, I think they're just riding the waves and making a little money on it while they can.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it fell behind last year's number the week after the new model and RE6 were released. Without any price change, I would say it failed to make any impact.

well, but before its release, PS3 was doing PSP numbers.
Now, is doing better.

I'm starting to genuinely think the Vita might be done for. I have been sort of holding back on that because its such an extreme thing. But this thing might genuinely be dead in Japan. I mean like, seriously. Its at freaking 6k... I mean, how high does the holidays REALLY push this thing? 30k-40k for a few weeks?

Jesus.

<gives hug> I know... I'm sad too.. seriously. I came to that realization. Hopefully we can get a gravity daze sequel before it dies completely. =(

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
3DS's gonna be brutal when AC is out. Can't wait to see what happens

Vita, as usual
3973852_o.gif

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
3DS's gonna be brutal when AC is out. Can't wait to see what happens

My reaction to this week 3DS numbers is not so positive, honestly.
I mean: I know that there weren't releases, and that last week there was a new color, but I was expecting 3DS numbers to grow a little bit with the incoming holidays.
Probably I was wrong, btw

liger05

I think they need a redesign, relaunch with new SKUs, price drop, moneyhat some big 3rd party games since there's absolutely nothing in Sony's portfolio that's a System Seller in Japan in order to make this thing relevant.

To be honest, I think they're just riding the waves and making a little money on it while they can.

Are they making money on it?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean: I know that there weren't releases, and that last week there was a new color, but I was expecting 3DS numbers to grow a little bit with the incoming holidays.

With the upcoming bundles to be released i could see many customer sjust waiting to get the AC, Mario or all black MH Tri 3DS.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I also expect Assassin's Creed for Vita to destroy the 3Ds once and for all time.

gdamn you! I had to think twice about that

wasn't price-reduced MH also announced? i would wager people are just waiting for that...and AC

Mid-October is a bit early for holiday bumps. :p

It's October.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Console sales don't even traditionally grow in October in the US unless there is a massive pre holiday game out...which there usually is for the 360.

The first three points will make only a minimal difference without a stronger software lineup. As for moneyhats, Sony continues to face a twofold problem:

1. Sales being what they are, it's very likely that no incentive Sony could provide would suffice.
2. Even if moneyhats were effective, any such game would be a year or more away, by which point Vita will be even closer to death than it looks now.

pulga

Banned
:/ I can't even bring myself to say something about Vita. I really still can't believe Sony released such a massive flop.

Kerub

Banned
It's going to be interesting to see how well 3DS does this holiday with Paper Mario and Animal Crossing.

Especially compared to Vita, considering the Vita holiday games.

zroid

Banned
I don't know whether to arbitrarily support MC numbers this week, where BDFF tracked more units, or Famitsu numbers, where BDFF tracked fewer units but outsold RE6. :p

it's a dilemma

God damn, even the combined might of Trails and LBX couldn't budge the Vita's numbers significantly. It is toast. Sure they're re-releases but I expected at least a couple-thousand-unit sales bump. According to Famitsu there wasn't even any effect.

I think that speaks volumes about consumer perception of the Vita - it's seen as unnecessary. Nobody feels like they need it. I'm not sure even the holidays will do much for it - the best hope it has is Persona 4 getting picked up as a holiday gift.

Meanwhile, goddamn in wholly different sense at BDFF. This is what it feels like to witness the birth of a new franchise, ladies and gentlemen. And it was supply-constrained! I can't wait to see what it does over the holidays. SENA needs to announce an English version already.

I don't know whether to arbitrarily support MC numbers this week, where BDFF tracked more units, or Famitsu numbers, where BDFF tracked fewer units but outsold RE6. :p

it's a dilemma

Wait for dengeki, might get the best of both worlds

Edit - Lol slaughtered by slaughterking

God damn, even the combined might of Trails and LBX couldn't budge the Vita's numbers significantly. It is toast. Sure they're re-releases but I expected at least a couple-thousand-unit sales bump. According to Famitsu there wasn't even any effect.

I think that speaks volumes about consumer perception of the Vita - it's seen as unnecessary. Nobody feels like they need it. I'm not sure even the holidays will do much for it - the best hope it has is Persona 4 getting picked up as a holiday gift.

Indeed. To me, it seems that the market simply doesn't want Vita. It doesn't want Vita in the same way it didn't want the GC or the DC; it could find its own niche, sure.

Bladenic

Meanwhile, goddamn in wholly different sense at BDFF. This is what it feels like to witness the birth of a new franchise, ladies and gentlemen. And it was supply-constrained! I can't wait to see what it does over the holidays. SENA needs to announce an English version already.

Combined... might?

133554318271.gif

Kenka

One thing is clear. The Vita needs its own identity instead of being a "me too" platform by getting the PSP or PS3 games.
I support this view too. It is difficult to pinpoint the reason of its existence if it feels and plays the same as its brand counterparts. It's almost as if Sony did not add enough original features to it. Sounds... unprecedented.

Top Bottom