• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2011 (Oct 24 - Oct 30)

Nuclear Muffin said:
But it isn't really your typical 3D Mario. It's a hybrid of 2D and 3D Mario and has been positioned and promoted as such.

Yes, it has, but has the advertising been effective? There's obviously a barrier of sorts for the Japanese audience when it comes to 3D Marios, and while Nintendo have been clearly positioning advertising for 3D Land - and SMG2 before it - with this in mind I'm not sure it will be enough to win over the audience who want something more like a pure 2D platformer, like NSMB.

Truth101

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Yes, it has, but has the advertising been effective? There's obviously a barrier of sorts for the Japanese audience when it comes to 3D Marios, and while Nintendo have been clearly positioning advertising for 3D Land - and SMG2 before it - with this in mind I'm not sure it will be enough to win over the audience who want something more like a pure 2D platformer, like NSMB.

Well, if a large retail with a lot of chains says that in 4 days they sold what they had predicted to be 2 weeks worth of copies, then you would think the advertisement has been successful.

Though we might as well wait till we get Media Create data in a day.

Edit:

I would also expect shortages if we see similar sell throughs for other retail chains, unless Nintendo sends another shipment fast.

Truth101 said:
Well, if a large retail with a lot of chains says that in 4 days they sold what they had predicted to be 2 weeks worth of copies, then you would think the advertisement has been successful.

Though we might as well wait till we get Media Create data in a day.

Again, it depends on what their predictions were based on - did they order low based on 3D Mario performance, coupled with the slow-ish sales of 3DS software so far (I know retailers in the UK got burnt with overorders early on and are now hesitant on new titles) or did they stock up based on sales of NSMB?

The game could be doing in line with SMG/SMG2 and the retailer simply underordered for the first week (in which case no noticeable impact from the ads) or it could be performing more like NSMB (in which case perhaps the ads did their job).

You're right though - MC data is here soon and that should put this particular Q to bed.

Truth101

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Again, it depends on what their predictions were based on - did they order low based on 3D Mario performance, coupled with the slow-ish sales of 3DS software so far (I know retailers in the UK got burnt with overorders early on and are now hesitant on new titles) or did they stock up based on sales of NSMB?

The game could be doing in line with SMG/SMG2 and the retailer simply underordered for the first week (in which case no noticeable impact from the ads) or it could be performing more like NSMB (in which case perhaps the ads did their job).

You're right though - MC data is here soon and that should put this particular Q to bed.

What I mean is, that it out-did whatever their predictions were. So no matter what it sold in their eyes it was a great success.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
get6-2 gives some (uncorfirmed) news for MH3G initial shipment.

The original plan was 700k but then it was reduced to 300k and that's the reason for stock problems.

BurntPork

Banned
Chris1964 said:

The original plan was 700k but then it was reduced to 300k and that's the reason for stock problems.
That's not good...

By the way, will the bundled copies count in the sales?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Chris1964 said:

300K ? For the software or the 3DS bundle ?
300K software copies would be lame - though it probably will have enormous legs.

Cygnus X-1

Rhod said:
The google trans is fine. No glaring errors.

'Mario has obtained the top ranking by exceeding expectations and selling our predicted first two weeks' volume in four days'.

'3DS hardware jumped 2.5x following Ice White'

'PS3 new big hitters Battlefield and Uncharted somewhat cannibalised each others' sales but still sold over 2x their predecessors'.

Never underestimate Mario. Never.

Cygnus X-1

Mpl90 said:
400k would be the best debut for a 3D Mario EVER. Not something so normal.
IMHO, they were expecting something in between SMG and SMG2.

Do we have first week numbers of Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2?

Gianni Merryman said:
If you put it like this it sounds much better, still I can't possibly fathom why should they launch with such a ridiculous initial shipment.
I can think of only one possibility, but that's a bit too much cynic: To take the wind out of Vita's launch by letting the floodgate open then. but I don't get why Capcom would want to do that anyway

walking fiend said:
I can think of only one possibility, but that's a bit too much cynic: To take the wind out of Vita's launch by letting the floodgate open then. but I don't get why Capcom would want to do that anyway

Actually I believe MH3G was clearly scheduled in mid december on purpose, so as to strategically steal the general attention from Vita's launch.

It may sound cynical, but I reckon it was a move Nintendo and Capcom planned together.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
ONLY 300k FOR LAUNCH?!? ARE THEY CRA...

...Ah, right. Capcom.
Well, now they have time to bring the shipment at 700k again.
How in the fuck they could think to have only 300k for the FW

EDIT:...But the theory of walking fiend COULD make sense, even for Capcom... but the demand is too high.

Mpl90

Cygnus X-1 said:
What pisses me off is that Capcom will then complain 3DS is not a profitable platform for them.

Well, it seems they won't complain at all...with Nintendo.
But with who decided the 300k of first shipment XD

Michan

Mpl90 said:
Well, it seems they won't complain at all...with Nintendo.
But with who decided the 300k of first shipment XD
Nah, Capcom recently has been releasing a lot of "tests" for Nintendo platforms with practically no fanfare, and has a history of screwing them over with expensive "exclusives" (see Resident Evil 4's GameCube release for the best example).

Spiegel

Michan said:
Nah, Capcom recently has been releasing a lot of "tests" for Nintendo platforms with practically no fanfare, and has a history of screwing them over with expensive "exclusives" (see Resident Evil 4's GameCube release for the best example).

And this is not the case with the 3DS.

Before the first year in the market is over Capcom are going to release two exclusive games on their two biggest franchises for 3DS.
Not even PS2 got this kind of support early on its lifetime

Mpl90

Michan said:

This time, everything seems different.
Capcom has to increase the first shipment, now, and they'll be very happy of doing it. XD

KingDizzi

Banned
frankie_baby said:
Could that just mean 300k of one of the versions?

Surely has to, or it will get a second huge shipment quickly. Also Capcom shareholders must have got a piece of whatever Nintendo pais for MH3G, no way would they have agreed to MH3G not being on PSP were it not for compensation.

Don't think we'll ever find out if MH3P reaches 5 million. :(

Edit - Scratch that we will, Capcom have a page where they post shipments

donny2112

The real problem with underestimating initial sales for third-party 3DS games is the same problem with underestimating DS initial sales. It takes too long for Nintendo to rev up the facilities to create more. See FFIII getting squeezed by needed production capacity for Pokemon. Capcom should intentionally over-order (e.g. MHTri) to cover this possibility on 3DS, not cut their orders. o_O

Michan

Spiegel said:
And this is not the case with the 3DS.

Before the first year in the market is over Capcom are going to release two exclusive games on their two biggest franchises for 3DS.
Not even PS2 got this kind of support early on its lifetime
If 300k units turns out to be true, then I see no reason for people to continue to question Capcom's ten years of stupid decisions for Nintendo platforms.

Mpl90

donny2112 said:
The real problem with underestimating initial sales for third-party 3DS games is the same problem with underestimating DS initial sales. It takes too long for Nintendo to rev up the facilities to create more. See FFIII getting squeezed by needed production capacity for Pokemon. Capcom should intentionally over-order (e.g. MHTri) to cover this possibility on 3DS, not cut their orders. o_O

I think, considering all the games coming, they considered this possibility, and so they improved the production.
But there's also to say that five years and so many games have passed since then XD

jcm

donny2112 said:

It seems likely to me that cartridge manufacturing capability is close to maxed out for the rest of the year. Maybe 300K is all Nintendo can make for Capcom?

Spiegel

Michan said:
If 300k units turns out to be true, then I see no reason for people to continue to question Capcom's ten years of stupid decisions for Nintendo platforms.

The same rumor says that the initial expectations from Capcom for the first shipment were 700k. As jcm says some kind of problem with the cartridge manufacturing capability seems more likely than 'Oh, surely Capcom wants to troll Nintendo'.

Questioning Capcom's 3DS decisions after them announcing or releasing Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Street Fighter games not even a year after the console is in the market is pretty ridiculous.

Mpl90

Spiegel said:
The same rumor says that the initial expectations from Capcom for the first shipment were 700k. As jcm says some kind of problem with the cartridge manufacturing capability seems more likely than 'Oh, surely Capcom wants to troll Nintendo'.

Questioning Capcom's 3DS decisions after them announcing or releasing Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Street Fighter games not even a year after the console is in the market is pretty ridiculous.

Magicpaint said:
Ha, 300K for MH is pretty bad.

Reading these two posts consecutively is... awesome.

KingDizzi

Banned
Spiegel said:

You just don't understand, Capcom does not like Nintendo. It's not like they are businesses or anything where making a profit is the only goal. Nintendo ran over Capcoms dog, these burnt bridges can't ever be rebuilt.

I want a 3DS 500K week, it's do able looking at the games releasing.

Sadist

KingDizzi said:
You just don't understand, Capcom does not like Nintendo. It's not like they are businesses or anything where making a profit is the only goal. Nintendo ran over Capcoms dog, these burnt bridges can't ever be rebuilt.
what

KingDizzi said:

what

Mpl90

I think KingDizzi was just being sarcastic and that your sarcasm meters are broken.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
jcm said:
It seems likely to me that cartridge manufacturing capability is close to maxed out for the rest of the year. Maybe 300K is all Nintendo can make for Capcom?
Maybe there is some true into this as Nintendo will have to increase current software capacity many times for holidays.

The current remored shipment is not impossible to increase. Last October the rumored initial shipment for MHP3 was 1 million and in the end that number doubled, but then Sony had problem to ship further copies.

Mpl90

Chris1964 said:
Maybe there is some true into this as Nintendo will have to increase current software capacity many times for holidays.

The current remored shipment is not impossible to increase. Last October the rumored initial shipment for MHP3 was 1 million and in the end that number doubled, but then Sony had problem to ship further copies.

Yeah, just as I said.

saichi

If Capcom can only manufacture 300K for Dec 10th, why not delay the launch for a week and launch on Dec 17th to produce more copies? ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
idwl said:
Why is MH being released a week before vita. Why not the same day?
Maybe they thought Vita would be released a week earlier.

Top Bottom