• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2013 (Oct 21 - Oct 27)

Tripon

I would be totally unsurprised if it turned out X had suffered a budget cut and the final product doesn't represent the original vision.

Thoroughly disappointed, but not surprised.

Nah, that's not going to happen. They gave the budget to make W101 as good as it could be, they're looking like they are doing the same with Bayo 2. To suddenly be penny wise, pound foolish for the one big AAA game done in house(outside of Zelda) would mean Nintendo is truly panicking.

I feel the problem with X is not the appeal, but rather Nintendo's lack of experience in marketing to the demographic it would appeal to. We're not talking about just general audiences or kids here. This is the sort of title which I view as a "big core title". Being a RPG is less important in this case than being a blockbuster. But the problem is, with these games you need very aggressive marketing to let that audience know that its a big deal. There's so much competition in this space that if you don't make it seem like a huge deal, you lose out to titles which do - including western titles like CoD, GTA, etc these days.

The sort of audience the game would be competing for are those who are used to seeing 8 page Famitsu articles with advertising spreads, lots of trailers and marketing in stores and all over. Having a big presence at game shows and events, and so on. Nintendo doesn't do that. In fact, they actively resist that style of marketing because they feel that their games can stand on their own quality. It's good to be confident about your product, but ignoring the business reality is part of what landed the WiiU in the situation it is today, and I fear that even if Monolithsoft gives their all on X, they will be let down by how Nintendo fails to understand how to engage the audience the game is made for.

I also don't feel that X is specifically a "Japanese" title. It definitely has international appeal, but again, all the points I raised apply to promotion in the US and in Europe as well. :(

This has been a problem with alot of the big six 3rd parties about their midsized efforts, too. It's almost as they don't understand the interaction with potential receptive audience and giving off an air of confidence about their next signifigant release (especially in their best-made ones). This forments Get Hype, Please Be Exciting, and Enthusiasm but the other firms seem not to notice. Guys like Baba and Ono are such rarities.

The problem with giving X the marketing a typical hardcore game would get is that it sounds like throwing good money after bad. Is X's audience going to buy a Wii U to play one RPG? I doubt it. The machine doesn't even have the same kind of third party RPGs that Wii had, and we saw how Xenoblade performed there. I don't think X will ever make money for Nintendo, so it's a question on if they'll try to minimize losses.

Thats a good point and a real shame because its looking like a might fine rpg. Though I will be guilty for this as well as I will be borrowing my friends WiiU to play the game. Might just buy another copy just to support the dev.

X is not the type of game that will do well on failing console like Wii U. The demographics aren't there, the marketing isn't there, and honestly is a big budget game like X really going to do very well on any console? The situation is just made worse on Wii U. Unfortunately for Monolith Nintendo will probably 101 it and basically pretend like it doesn't exist until a month until release and then watch it bomb. Hopefully there aren't any layoffs there.

Oregano

X is not the type of game that will do well on failing console like Wii U. The demographics aren't there, the marketing isn't there, and honestly is a big budget game like X really going to do very well on any console? The situation is just made worse on Wii U. Unfortunately for Monolith Nintendo will probably 101 it and basically pretend like it doesn't exist until a month until release and then watch it bomb. Hopefully there aren't any layoffs there.

Nintendo doesn't do layoffs. Iwata has said as much.

Takao

Banned

I'm not port begging, but there's little doubt in my mind about X performing well on PS3, at least in Japan.

Tripon

Something like X on the PS3 with normal marketing from a major publisher would probably sell over 500k in Japan.

The issue with that is that Sony Japan wouldn't be able to get a game out in any decent time.

Just look at the Last Guardian.

I have no doubt a game like X would do 500k+ on PS3. To be frank I am still astounded that WKC did 339k despite the PS3's low user base of 2.6 million at the time.

The issue with that is that Sony Japan wouldn't be able to get a game out in any decent time.

Just look at the Last Guardian.

The issue is that they have abandoned the genre. They had several massive (relative to nowadays of course) jrpg hits during the PS1 era:

Arc the Lad 2: 816k
Wild Arms (Best): 415k

Yet they did very little to nothing during the PS3 gen. Hearing Verendus' rumours I do hope that they get back into the genre.

I'm sorry, I guess I should have clarified since this is a Japanese thread, but I meant worldwide and do well enough to make back it's budget. I'm sure the game could at least do 350k on PS3 right now.

Takao

Banned
I have no doubt a game like X would do 500k+ on PS3. To be frank I am still astounded that WKC did 339k despite the PS3's low user base of 2.6 million at the time.

Especially given that game's made by the kusoge co known as Level-5 and published by the eternally confused SCE.

duckroll

In my head, I would assume a game like X would come from SCE Japan Studio, if Sony wanted to make it.

What does this have to do with Sony? Also why would you assume that when Sony has a history of publishing RPGs developed by other studios, rather than developing them themselves? Level 5, Media Vision, etc.

We're talking about whether a game like X would sell well on "any console". No one is talking about Sony here.

Tripon

What does this have to do with Sony? Also why would you assume that when Sony has a history of publishing RPGs developed by other studios, rather than developing them themselves? Level 5, Media Vision, etc.

We're talking about whether a game like X would sell well on "any console". No one is talking about Sony here.

Well, I'm also assuming similar conditions that a game like X could be okayed on the PS3. You're talking about a MMO-like/MonHun-like hybrid game that isn't going to charge a subscription rate, or isn't free to play, charging the tradtional retail price.

The closest game to X that is coming out is arguably MonHun which aren't interested going back to consoles in a non subscription format anytime soon, and Deep Down, which already went through the free to play model.

I personally think Square Enix, Capcom, Namco-Bandai, et al. couldn't justify the price tag of a game like X without screwing up with it. Just look at Capcom and Deep Down. That game is already compromised with the F2P model and all the potential difficulties F2P brings to consumers.

The closest game that is coming out to Japan I can think of is Dark Souls I & II, and those games are very different from what X will eventually come.

So, I think by default it would have to be a 1st party who is interested in developing a game that attracts people to their console, but aren't looking at a financial model that could bring in the most revenue like free to play. So that means it has to be a Sony SCE Japan production, which means to me that game would have a hard time coming out due to SCE Japan having issues releasing any games.

So trying to sell 500K would be a moot point.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling at this point.

Takao

Banned
As Duckroll has stated, SCE can fund projects not made by SCE Japan Studio. In fact, most of their Japanese games are made that way.

Tripon

As Duckroll has stated, SCE can fund projects not made by SCE Japan Studio. In fact, most of their Japanese games are made that way.

Yeah, but like I said before. SCEJ (or Sony in general) did that with Deep Down, and that game still went free to play.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, but like I said before. SCEJ (or Sony in general) did that with Deep Down, and that game still went free to play.

That game is published by Capcom. I believe Sony's involvement is just from an engineering perspective.

Well, I'm also assuming similar conditions that a game like X could be okayed on the PS3. You're talking about a MMO-like/MonHun-like hybrid game that isn't going to charge a subscription rate, or isn't free to play, charging the tradtional retail price.

The closest game to X that is coming out is arguably MonHun which aren't interested going back to consoles in a non subscription format anytime soon, and Deep Down, which already went through the free to play model.

I personally think Square Enix, Capcom, Namco-Bandai, et al. couldn't justify the price tag of a game like X without screwing up with it. Just look at Capcom and Deep Down. That game is already compromised with the F2P model and all the potential difficulties F2P brings to consumers.

The closest game that is coming out to Japan I can think of is Dark Souls I & II, and those games are very different from what X will eventually come.

So, I think by default it would have to be a 1st party who is interested in developing a game that attracts people to their console, but aren't looking at a financial model that could bring in the most revenue like free to play. So that means it has to be a Sony SCE Japan production, which means to me that game would have a hard time coming out due to SCE Japan having issues releasing any games.

So trying to sell 500K would be a moot point.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling at this point.

SE has two next gen jrpgs which likely have budgets far bigger than X. I agree that first parties can take more of a financial burden and so may be more likely to delve into jrpg's however your SCEJ point is just plain wrong.

Your mistaking Team ICO for SCEJ. SCEJ has like 400+ people iirc, various teams, with Team ICO being one of them. They always take a long time lol.

Takao

Banned
I thought they also gave financial help to Deep Down.

Okay, but that doesn't change my point. It's not a SCE game developed by Capcom. It's a Capcom game developed by Capcom with assistance by SCE. That's a big difference to something like Wild ARMs, Over My Dead Body, White Knight Chronicles, etc. that are funded, and published by SCE but developed by an outside company. SCE's outside projects rarely go on the vaporware tour like internal stuff.

Do we actually know any of this, or are we just assuming?

L Thammy

Xenoblade seems to be very well-received among hardcore audiences.
(Mind, it doesn't seem to appear on the more general poll, though the games that sandwich it here are around 37 and 45.)

Despite what Duckroll says, I think there's a large audience that values things like character customization and multiplayer in their RPGs. I'm specifically thinking of why Dragon Quest 9 did as it did (in comparison to other entries).

kingkaiser

Something like X on the PS3 with normal marketing from a major publisher would probably sell over 500k in Japan.

I highly doubt that. The game doesn't seem moé enough to reach those numbers in Japan. More serious and mature looking RPGs like this or the main Megami Tensei games usually sale between 200k and 300k copies at best.

duckroll

Don't you think it's presumptuous to think that X is some super duper high budget MMO game when we know so little about it? Monolithsoft has about a hundred employees across two studios. The other studio is helping Nintendo out with graphics on their various games. That leaves less than a hundred people at most on the core development staff.

How big is the game world? How populated is it? How expansive are the online services? Are there even any online services or is it just a peer to peer online multiplayer mode? Without knowing the answers to these questions, it would be extremely foolish to assume anything about the overall cost of the game. Yes, it's positioned as a blockbuster style console RPG, but that's about all we know so far.

L Thammy

Don't you think it's presumptuous to think that X is some super duper high budget MMO game when we know so little about it? Monolithsoft has about a hundred employees across two studios. The other studio is helping Nintendo out with graphics on their various games. That leaves less than a hundred people at most on the core development staff.

How big is the game world? How populated is it? How expansive are the online services? Are there even any online services or is it just a peer to peer online multiplayer mode? Without knowing the answers to these questions, it would be extremely foolish to assume anything about the overall cost of the game. Yes, it's positioned as a blockbuster style console RPG, but that's about all we know so far.

At the very least, we know it's got something based on Xenoblade's battle system and a (semi-?) open world environment. I believe we've also seen both a male and female protagonist that very closely resemble each other - as in, they seem more like two options than two separate characters.

Doesn't suggest how high budget it will be, but we can certainly guess at it being more Western-style again.

I highly doubt that. The game doesn't seem moé enough to reach those numbers in Japan. More serious and mature looking RPGs like this or the main Megami Tensei games usually sale between 200k and 300k copies at best.

The fuck you talking about?

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dragons Dogma, Demons/Darks Souls all do extremely well despite not being moe. In fact the moe rpgs are often the niches ones lol.

Tales is the only one I can think of but they are pretty great rpgs so it works out. They are hardly moe but much more in tune with anime culture.

It wouldn't. It's way too much open world for typical modern jrpg audience.

And at the same time it's too Japanise for western Skyrim bro gamers.

L Thammy

The fuck you talking about?

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dragons Dogma, Demons/Darks Souls all do extremely well despite not being moe. In fact the moe rpgs are often the niches ones lol.

Tales is the only one I can think of but they are pretty great rpgs so it works out. They are hardly moe but much more in tune with anime culture.

In fact, the biggest games on the PS3 are of much harder looks. Yakuza, Metal Gear, what have you. I'm pretty sure calling Final Fantasy "moe" is a huge stretch even if it's anime-styled.

It wouldn't. It's way too much open world for typical modern jrpg audience.

Assuming it's the same as Xenoblade, it would be composed of a set of large sections that you travel through in a linear pattern to progress the story and can explore if you want. There's also probably going to be an arrow telling you exactly where to go to proceed. Is there any evidence that this is different?

duckroll

Lots of experts here who already played X, I see. :)

Personally I think it's fair to assume it'll be an expansion of Xenoblade's concepts, but how much more really remains to be seen.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The M in MMO stands for massive, looking at the WiiU Userbase I doubt X will be one.

Soriku

I don't have a whole lot of hope for X's JP sales. It should do OK but I'm not expecting it to be some sort of game changer. Western sales are probably going to be more crucial and I think it'll do better outside of Japan.

[3DS] MH4 – 118pt
[3DS] PKMN Y – 112pt
[3DS] PKMN X – 108pt

slay a biT

Wii Party had the best opening of all recent Wii U games at Comgnet, only behind Pikmin.

I'll wait for Aqua to comment more. :)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
[3DS] MH4 – 118pt
[3DS] PKMN Y – 112pt
[3DS] PKMN X – 108pt

slay a biT

Wii Party had the best opening of all recent Wii U games at Comgnet, only behind Pikmin.

I'll wait for Aqua to comment more. :)

Most likely includes bundles no?

Nintendo did actively promote Wii Party U in Japan, maybe an opening north of 40k at retail and 30k bundles?

Results wouldn't be great but its a start

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Most likely includes bundles no?

Nintendo did actively promote Wii Party U in Japan, maybe an opening north of 40k at retail and 30k bundles?

Results wouldn't be great but its a start

Comgnet would not include any bundles.

I would guess something like what you suggested- maybe 50K standalone, and then however many bundles sold.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think when you can count the game entirely as a bundle freebie, thats gonna skew perception of it doing well really.

Its all about how high the hardware can push next week, and a lot is riding on it. New first party software hitting sub 100k numbers from a once behemoth force isn't going to turn heads.

AzaK

Nintendo should just release X on Wii U and then after a few months when it's done it's sales dash, port it to PS3 :)

Wait why are people port begging.

I mean it's understandable that people want to play it but come one guys, it's a 1st party game.

If X is anything like Xenoblade, what you describe is certainly not X.

Shahed

Wait why are people port begging.

I mean it's understandable that people want to play it but come one guys, it's a 1st party game.

People aren't port begging, that is if you ignore the one in jest. It's an analysis of whether Nintendo has the right audience (or mindset) in order for X to be a success on Wii U. Saying that a title like X would do better on PS3 due to demographics makes sense. Just like how something like Puppeteer or soon Tearaway would more than likely do better on Nintendo devices

And no. This isn't a kiddy argument.

Code:
[B][U]Comgnet Software Sales Rankings: Week 44, 2013 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)[/U][/B]

01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 118pt
02. [3DS] Pokémon Y – 112pt
03. [3DS] Pokémon X – 108pt
04. [PS3] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 – 93pt
[b]05. [WIU] Wii Party U – 74pt[/b]
06. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V – 69pt
[B]07. [PSV] Gundam Breaker – 66pt[/B]
08. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 – 61pt
[b]09. [PSV] Chou Tsugitsugimono Game Neptune Re:Birth1 (Limited Edition) – 58pt[/b]
[b]10. [3DS] Little Battlers eXperience: Wars – 57pt[/b]
[b]11. [PS3] Tears to Tiara II: Haou no Matsuei (Limited Edition) – 48pt[/b]
[b]12. [PSV] Chou Tsugitsugimono Game Neptune Re:Birth1 – 41pt[/b]
13. [3DS] Battle For Money Sentouchuu: Densetsu no Shinobi no Survival Battle! – 28pt
[b]14. [PSP] Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko. (Limited Special Edition) – 21pt[/b]
15. [PS3] BlazBlue: Chronophantasma – 20pt
16. [PSV] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2013 – 18pt
17. [PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack – 14pt
18. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle – 10pt
19. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life – 10pt
20. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) – 9pt
[B]* New releases are in bold
* 1 pt = 1 sale
3DS - 6
PS3 - 6
PSV - 4
PSP - 3
WIU - 1[/B]

No Tsutaya yet, but I'll post it when it releases.

Road

Dengeki October 2013
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/743/743831/index-3.html
(2013-09-30~2013-10-27)

Software: 27.4 billion yen (+27.3%)
Hardware: 13.9 billion yen (+51.7%)

Total: 41.3 billion yen (+34.6%)

September

A stat usually overlooked in these threads, but software units increased 53.2% (3.5m -> 5.4m), while value only 27.3%; ASP decreased from 6100 yen to 5075 yen. Biggest reason being concentration on the handheld market. For instance, 2012 top 2 were RE6 and PES2013, MRSP of 7991 and 7980 yen; this year top 2 are PXY and MH4, 4800 and 5990 yen.

Top Bottom