• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2011 (Oct 31 - Nov 06)

Lord_Byron28 said:
While I see what you're saying and it could make a big difference. I recall this same arguement being made for Galaxy 1 and 2.

Really? I remember something similar for Galaxy 2 when it became obvious how Nintendo were going to promote it - heavy emphasis on 2D sections etc. - but I don't remember anyone saying that they should be treated as separate from Sunshine/64. Could be wrong though.

BurntPork

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Lack of software has nothing to do with the fall of Wii? It looks saturated the last 2 years.
I said "linked." As in, it's one of the reasons. I didn't mean that it's THE reason. I wasn't really clear, however, so the confusion is my fault. I'll take it as the end of my reasonable streak.

Michan

Lord_Byron28 said:
While I see what you're saying and it could make a big difference. I recall this same arguement being made for Galaxy 1 and 2.
They included 2d sections in Galaxy 2 (and indeed put emphasis on them in marketing), but ultimately they were trapped inside a 3d Mario. It seems that this time, they're working in the opposite direction, and have completely re-thought their marketing.

If this hasn't sold more than Galaxy's LTD figure by the first week of January, then a mod can permaban me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bebpo said:
What did Uncharted 2 sell in Japan first week for comparison?

[PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE) - 55.063 / 108.073 / 50,95% 15/10/09

Yeah, Uncharted 3 first week outdid the LTD of Among Thieves.

neutralgamer02 said:
That was before my time so I wouldn't know. Still stands, I doubt 3DS numbers would be this good if they didn't cut the price by 40%.

However, they did cut the price and they are this good. The more interesting question is how much the big software announcements served to boost the effect of the price cut and how much is simply the price cut at work.

Alrus

Cosmonaut X said:
However, they did cut the price and they are this good. The more interesting question is how much the big software announcements served to boost the effect of the price cut and how much is simply the price cut at work.

Seeing the October software versus hardware sales, it's pretty obvious the announcement helped sales a lot. Obviously the price drop helped a lot but sales in august were still not that great, and only started to go up after the conference.

noobie

Banned
Mpl90 said:
[PS3] Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (SCE) - 55.063 / 108.073 / 50,95% 15/10/09

Yeah, Uncharted 3 first week outdid the LTD of Among Thieves.
Wish other Territories sony have employed such measures to boast the game sales with same percentage... :)

gerg

Magicpaint said:
Oh FFS are we comparing the sales of 2D Mario (NSMB) and 3D (SM3DLand) now?

I really wouldn't characterise the comparison as so ridiculous. I just think that the correct answer is not that Super Mario 3D Land is representative distinctively of either traditional 2D or 3D Mario gameplay, but is instead a new blend of both. Heck, the designers of SM3DLand have even said as much.

As a result, I think it fair to compare both the New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy games to 3M3DLand in terms of their sales.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is it me or has the PS3 finally hit it's stride when it comes to software sales. It's doing pretty good these last couple of months, with a string of 100k+ selling titles.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
gerg said:
I really wouldn't characterise the comparison as so ridiculous. I just think that the correct answer is not that Super Mario 3D Land is representative distinctively of either traditional 2D or 3D Mario gameplay, but is instead a new blend of both. Heck, the designers of SM3DLand have even said as much.

As a result, I think it fair to compare both the New Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy games to 3M3DLand in terms of their sales.
No matter what Nintendo tried to do in the end SML3D remains a 3D game.

Mpl90

Michan said:
If this hasn't sold more than Galaxy's LTD figure by the first week of January, then a mod can permaban me.

If you're banned, who will update the Mario chart? :(

gerg

Chris1964 said:
No matter what Nintendo tried to do in the end SML3D remains a 3D game.

In terms of sales, or in terms of gameplay?

If you mean the former, then, yes, SM3DLand's sales are more similar to sales of previous 3D Mario titles than of previous 2D Mario titles. Although I would suggest that it is too early to make a definitive conclusion, perhaps we can subsequently conclude that Nintendo's efforts to create a new blend of different gameplay styles (as I argue below) has been unsuccessful.

If you mean the latter, then, as I have said above, the matter is not so clear. Although the most immediately noticeable characteristic of 2D Mario gameplay is its 2D perspective, this aspect lends itself greatly to another historic aspect of the series, its relatively linear gameplay. Aside from multiple entry and exit points into and out of levels, gameplay generally runs from left to right, sometimes with a vertical element added in as well.

By contrast, 3D Mario gameplay has very often focused more on explanation of, well, a three-dimensional world, using a 3D perspective to enable this. That SM3DLand tries to apply a 3D perspective to the more linear gameplay of previous 2D Mario titles reflects the new and different quality to the title.

matmanx1

Nice Mario launch. I am assuming it will have monster legs and take it's place in the proper Mario pantheon.

In other news, isn't strange to see 2 "western" games in the top 3, both with over 120k in 1 week of sales? Is Japan becoming more receptive to foreign games? And to shooters in general?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo waits for Mario to save them since N64

877114e6.jpg

BurntPork

Banned
Akkad said:
Funny how nobody mentions the price cut when talking about 3DS sales.
So, from now on, everyone should be talking about the price cut whenever 3DS sales are brought up? OK.

PS3 would not be selling like it is now if it were still at its launch price!

Alrus

matmanx1 said:
In other news, isn't strange to see 2 "western" games in the top 3, both with over 120k in 1 week of sales? Is Japan becoming more receptive to foreign games? And to shooters in general?

It's more shooters getting more popular than "western games", as shown by DKC, Crash Bandicoot and a few others, being made by western studios doesn't automatically exclude great sales. It's just that many western games are in genre japaneses aren't receptive to.

BurntPork said:
So, from now on, everyone should be talking about the price cut whenever 3DS sales are brought up? OK.

PS3 would not be selling like it is now if it were still at its launch price!

Not really comparable. The PS3 didn't cut its price by almost 50% within its first year of release. Also, it has been like 3 months since the 3DS price cut. It is still valid to mention it.

gerg said:

SM3DL is exactly like what PH and ST were but no one refered to them as 2D games or compared them.

matmanx1 said:
Nice Mario launch. I am assuming it will have monster legs and take it's place in the proper Mario pantheon.

From a marketing standpoint, UC3 had Harrison Ford, but BF3 as far as I can tell from a cursory Google search has had little recent advertising (its 2ch presence is fairly low, also). They had a non-trivial showing at TGS 2011, so... maybe that was the catalyst?

Laguna

Banned
Uncharted 3 sales are good for the series and it outperformed handily its predecessors but let´s not get carried away. We are talking about just 125k units. And it´s also not like it was published by a small publisher either, the opposite is the case and it also got expensive marketing campaign just to put things in perspective. While it´s a good start all things considered it really isn´t that big of an achievement looking at the numbers.

Mpl90

Ookami-kun said:
Not sure if troll or playful banter.

My sarcasm meter is so confused right now...

About the great success of Uncharted and Battlefield.
The fact is that yes, they're western games, but they belong to mass genres.

In the past, we've seen Western games doing well, if not very well in Japan, and these game were of different genres accepted even by Japan, even if not as in the rest of the world.
Apart from Crash Bandicoot in the PSX era, PS2 saw Grand Theft Auto doing even 400k. Or Ratchet games doing even 500k.
A mass genre game, that obtains to do not as in the West, but however good results is not something new in Japan.

What has changed recently is that the number of Western games with these factors have greatly increased due to the Western concentration on HD consoles, and so there are far more success stories of Western games in Japan.

I think a definitive role in this growth is also played by what Western concentration brought: massive marketing campaigns.

P.S. We cannot use DKCR: it's still from Nintendo, after all.
Neither we can talk about Just Dance as much as Battlefield 3. Because BF3 has been brought in Japan basically unchanged, while JD2 became something different from the original, with lots of new songs specifically targeted to Japanese audience.

Alrus

Mpl90 said:
Neither we can talk about Just Dance as much as Battlefield 3. Because BF3 has been brought in Japan basically unchanged, while JD2 became something different from the original, with lots of new songs specifically targeted to Japanese audience.

You know that being a Nintendo game doesn't immediately make a game sell well right? Goldeneye didn't do anything massive, nor did Epic Mickey...

Takao

Banned
Laguna said:
Uncharted 3 sales are good for the series and it outperformed handily its predecessors but let´s not get carried away. We are talking about just 125k units. And it´s also not like it was published by a small publisher either, the opposite is the case and it also got expensive marketing campaign just to put things in perspective. While it´s a good start all things considered it really isn´t that big of an achievement looking at the numbers.

SCEJ is closer to Spike than Namco Bandai. Can they really be considered a large publisher anymore?

Chris1964 said:
Adding all versions Uncharted 3 has not outsold Uncharted 2 yet. Next week possibly.

I thought the numbers for Uncharted 2 The best were only 5k for FW and we didn't know LTD numbers?

RamzaIsCool said:
Is it me or has the PS3 finally hit it's stride when it comes to software sales. It's doing pretty good these last couple of months, with a string of 100k+ selling titles.

Sure, but HW sales are stagnant, even with 2 100k+ sellers, it didn't get a boost.

Alrus

Takao said:
Based on the explosion of Inazuma Eleven and the similar sales of the first entry, will PSP finally get its first non-MH million seller? lol

I assume it's on PSP, since it would be a douche move to tease a game in a PSP game, and then say "JK guys, the sequel is on 3DS". It also follows in line with Level-5's constant engine milkage.

Well KH kinda did that with the secret movies at the end no? It would be kind of a douche move but they'll have to switch platform at some point anyway, and right now the 3DS is a better fit for the audience they're trying to get (and gives the franchise a chance to not completely bomb in the west).

BurntPork

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:
Not really comparable. The PS3 didn't cut its price by almost 50% within its first year of release. Also, it has been like 3 months since the 3DS price cut. It is still valid to mention it.
But it's not valid to act like it invalidates the sales or that it's the only reason it's selling well.

And I love how 40% turned into almost 50%.

donny2112

Mpl90 said:
My sarcasm meter is so confused right now...
About the great success of Uncharted and Battlefield.
The fact is that yes, they're western games, but they belong to mass genres.
In the past, we've seen Western games doing well, if not very well in Japan, and these game were of different genres accepted even by Japan, even if not as in the rest of the world.
Apart from Crash Bandicoot in the PSX era, PS2 saw Grand Theft Auto doing even 400k. Or Ratchet games doing even 500k.
A mass genre game, that obtains to do not as in the West, but however good results is not something new in Japan.
What has changed recently is that the number of Western games with these factors have greatly increased due to the Western concentration on HD consoles, and so there are far more success stories of Western games in Japan.
I think a definitive role in this growth is also played by what Western concentration brought: massive marketing campaigns.

Is there a reason why you're not a fan of paragraphs? This style makes it a little more difficult to read.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Takao said:
Based on the explosion of Inazuma Eleven and the similar sales of the first entry, will PSP finally get its first non-MH million seller? lol

I assume it's on PSP, since it would be a douche move to tease a game in a PSP game, and then say "JK guys, the sequel is on 3DS". It also follows in line with Level-5's constant engine milkage.

It should be on PSP if they plan to release it next year - maybe with an Vita HD Version, though i dont see how it could selll a million. Did i miss someting or why are you expecting it to sell that much more than the first title ?

Alrus

cw_sasuke said:
It should be on PSP if they plan to release it next year - maybe with an Vita HD Version, though i dont see how it could selll a million. Did i miss someting or why are you expecting it to sell that much more than the first title ?

He bases his prediction on the fact that the first Inazuma sold around 400k and the sequel sold more than a million copies.

Cygnus X-1

Mpl90 said:
And I quote also Cygnus when he says that it has a possibility of doing more than one million, even just this year, but not because of the Land brand (which IMHO lost basically its selling power with the change to Wario Land), but because of, yes, the pronounced 2Dness of the marketing, but above all because of the upcoming 3DS hardware sales, which will boost also 3DS software.

I was about to post something about that. Thanks for anticipating me.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Alrus said:
He bases his prediction on the fact that the first Inazuma sold around 400k and the sequel sold more than a million copies.

I dont think its that easy to predict - PSP isnt DS and LBX isnt IE2.

But if that GotY edition sells well enough, maybe the next title could sell + 500K. I still think a million isnt possible.

Top Bottom