• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2012 (Oct 29 - Nov 04)

Just a thought but I notice both animal crossing wild world and let's go to the city have both snuck into the lower reaches of amazons top 100, could this weeks AC craziness drag either (or both) into this weeks chart

test_account

XP-39C²
Probably, the fact is that Sony wasn't able to be competitive in a market where basically was dominating.
Yeah, Sony was not able to make a device that was as popular as the PS2 indeed, but it is possible to be comeptitive eventhough that you dont have a huge marketshare like the PS2 had though. The PS3 has sold about 65 million units worldwide, so it has been competitive overall despite the rough first years.

The problem regarding this with all products is that it isnt possible to control what the competitors does. Even if someone make a super product, the competitors can also make a super product. Then there will automatically be competition there.

It's also possible that Dragon Quest IX never existed and we all dreamt about it.
It is not unthinkable that games changes platforms very early on (see Monster Hunter 3 for example), so what you say there isnt comparable at all to what i said. Do you think it is that unlikely that DQ9 could have been planned for PS2? I dont have any strong feeling about that this is a likely senario or not, so this is not really an arguement i make for it. It was just an idea i threw out there regarding how the platform chosing for DX9 went down, but i dont find it to be 100% impossible.

But let's try to keep the most likely scenarios. In your case, by the way, it would have been even worse for Sony, because they left a big exclusive to Nintendo without doing nothing.
Unless anyone of us have any official sources to how the process went down, what is concidered as the most likely senario is very subjective. We are both just guessing here.

*Iwata quote on Dragon Quest*

Are you still sure that Nintendo's involvement was negligible?
I didnt say that Nintendo did a good job on promoting and trying to make DQ popular in the west. I'm not trying to downplay anything that Nintendo did just to mention that. What i was wondering about is if what was said at the DQ9 conferance had a big influence on the platform choice for DQ10. It could very well be, as i mentioned earlier i'm open to both possibilites. I'm just speculating about it.

I didn't say the choice was completelet driven by Nintendo. Never. I just said that Nintendo worked to secure the IP, which indeed never appeared on other platforms after 2006. So, what are you arguing about?
And i never said that Nintendo didnt have a part in it at all, so what are you arguing about? :)

I think it is possible that Square Enix went to Nintendo saying they wanted to make DQ9 and DQ10 for the 3DS and Wii, and then Nintendo was to a lot of help, making the decision for Square Enix very easy to make.

But i also concider the possibility that Square Enix themself was the biggest drive in the decisions of platforms for DQ9 and DQ10, and that DQ9 and DQ10 would have been released on 3DS and Wii respectively regardless of Nintendo's involvement. This isnt downplaying Nintendo's involvement (i know you didnt say i did this, but i just want to mention it anyway :)), because we know that Nintendo did do good things for Square Enix here. I'm just wondering how the platform choosing process mainly went down. That was my arguement.

Third parties were already on board on PS3; maybe you don't remember, but before the platform was completely unveiled, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Koei games, Metal Gear Solid were sure things. Then we all know how it ended, with 90% of them becoming multi-platform titles.
True, and i do remember that, but i was thinking more about the continued support and the additional ~450 PS3 games to the ones that you mentioned.

There wasnt a dominating console in this generation like the PS2 was, so going exclusive with the big IPs could be a bigger risk.

beril

But do you think it is that unlikely that DQ9 could have been planned for PS2?

Considering that the earliest release imaginable would have been late 2007 (we all know it launched much later than that), I'd say that's very unlikely. Even with DQs history of arriving late in a console cycle, that's usually because of massive delays. They don't plan for games to be released years after the new consoles have launched.

test_account

XP-39C²
Considering that the earliest release imaginable would have been late 2007 (we all know it launched much later than that), I'd say that's very unlikely. Even with DQs history of arriving late in a console cycle, that's usually because of massive delays. They don't plan for games to be released years after the new consoles have launched.
I was thinking about it since it was about 4 years between DQ7 and DQ8, and that is including a platform change (PS1 to PS2) which probably means working on a new game engine and all that. There were also a different developer for DQ7 and DQ8, so if that was the senario for DQ9 as well, the developement could have started before DQ8 was released, which could mean a late 2006 release could be possible for DQ9. But i have no strong feelings about this to be honest, i just threw the idea out as a possibility regarding how the platform decision was made for DQ9.

Yeah, Sony was not able to make a device that was as popular as the PS2 indeed, but it is possible to be comeptitive eventhough that you dont have a huge marketshare like the PS2 had though. The PS3 has sold about 65 million units worldwide, so it has been competitive overall despite the rough first years.

The problem regarding this with all products is that it isnt possible to control what the competitors does. Even if someone make a super product, the competitors can also make a super product. Then there will automatically be competition there.

It doesn't work... exactly like this. Sony wasn't able to be competitive for what concerns many elements of its strategy: price, launch time, internal software. Some things worked well (the fact that PS3 was a Blue-ray Disk player surely helped), but here we were talking about the strength of Sony in third parties relationship. Honestly, how it is possible to say that it is a fact that Sony has been historically strong in those, when with PS3 it basically lost all the exclusive support from third parties, and even now it is not able to keep key franchises? That was my point. And until now, you're proven it by confirming that, indeed, that's not a fact.

It is not unthinkable that games changes platforms very early on (see Monster Hunter 3 for example), so what you say there isnt comparable at all to what i said. Do you think it is that unlikely that DQ9 could have been planned for PS2? I dont have any strong feeling about that this is a likely senario or not, so this is not really an arguement i make for it. It was just an idea i threw out there regarding how the platform chosing for DX9 went down, but i dont find it to be 100% impossible.

I think it's unlikely that Dragon Quest IX was planned on PS2; in any case, if you introduce this state of nature, you're even strengthening my point: it means that Sony didn't do anything to keep the best selling third party IPs in Japan on their platforms.

The fact is that Dragon Quest IX was announced as a DS exclusive to begin with. We know that Nintendo did its part to have the franchise on its platforms, therefore Nintendo was able to build some kind of relationship with a third party (historically, and this is a fact, a third party that had many up and downs with Nintendo); Sony just stood watching. If the unlikely scenario you brought up really happened, that's even worse, because it means that at a certain point Square Enix was developing the next mainline entry of Dragon Quest on PS2, and the company basically didn't do anything to keep it.

Unless anyone of us have any official sources to how the process went down, what is concidered as the most likely senario is very subjective. We are both just guessing here.

You're moving around the point: was Sony able to keep one of the most important third party franchises on its platforms? No. Either Dragon Quest IX was planned from scratch on DS or not, Square Enix decided to go with Nintendo, and Nintendo surely helped to distribute, promote and keeping the franchise under its wings. I mean, no Dragon Quest on Sony platforms after 2006, and PS2 got four of them. And no hopes for the IP to land on Sony platforms in the future, given that Dragon Quest VII (originally, a PS1 game; wasn't it even partly funded by Sony itself?) is coming on 3DS.

I didnt say that Nintendo did a good job on promoting and trying to make DQ popular in the west. I'm not trying to downplay anything that Nintendo did just to mention that. What i was wondering about is if what was said at the DQ9 conferance had a big influence on the platform choice for DQ10. It could very well be, as i mentioned earlier i'm open to both possibilites. I'm just speculating about it.

And i never said that Nintendo didnt have a part in it at all, so what are you arguing about? :)

I hope you realize that all these side issues doesn't change my point, that is: "Sony relationship with third parties has been historically strong" is not a fact at all, let alone Nintendo ability to secure some key Japanese franchises and Microsoft ability to got 90% of external support on home console.

I think it is possible that Square Enix went to Nintendo saying they wanted to make DQ9 and DQ10 for the 3DS and Wii, and then Nintendo was to a lot of help, making the decision for Square Enix very easy to make.

But i also concider the possibility that Square Enix themself was the biggest drive in the decisions of platforms for DQ9 and DQ10, and that DQ9 and DQ10 would have been released on 3DS and Wii respectively regardless of Nintendo's involvement. This isnt downplaying Nintendo's involvement (i know you didnt say i did this, but i just want to mention it anyway :)), because we know that Nintendo did do good things for Square Enix here. I'm just wondering how the platform choosing process mainly went down. That was my arguement.

That was your argument, but that wasn't the original point. Dragon Quest is just an example of how Sony wasn't able to keep for itself one of the most important Japanese IPs on its platforms. I can tell you that Monster Hunter is not coming to any Sony platform, that the next Metal Gear Solid is planned for both PS3 and 360, that Final Fantasy XIII was released on Microsoft platform as well, etc. Examples to show that Sony wasn't strong at all with third parties, otherwise some of those things wouldn't have happened.

True, and i do remember that, but i was thinking more about the continued support and the additional ~450 PS3 games to the ones that you mentioned.

There wasnt a dominating console in this generation like the PS2 was, so going exclusive with the big IPs could be a bigger risk.

That's why Sony should have had more convincing arguments for third parties to develop exclusively on its platforms...? (other than making a more affordable console, of course).

test_account

XP-39C²
It doesn't work... exactly like this. Sony wasn't able to be competitive for what concerns many elements of its strategy: price, launch time, internal software. Some things worked well (the fact that PS3 was a Blue-ray Disk player surely helped), but here we were talking about the strength of Sony in third parties relationship.
Yeah, Sony designed the PS3 to be too expencive compared to their competitors to begin with, so it was hard for them to be competitive on the price at launch, that is true. I was thinking more about how the whole generation turned out in total, that the PS3 was able to compete in the long run. It was though for the PS3 at launch for sure, but now the price and software are very competitive :)

Honestly, how it is possible to say that it is a fact that Sony has been historically strong in those, when with PS3 it basically lost all the exclusive support from third parties, and even now it is not able to keep key franchises? That was my point. And until now, you're proven it by confirming that, indeed, that's not a fact.
I only said "i think", i didnt say it was a fact. It also depends on how one defines exactly what a good/strong relationship is.

I think it is possible to have a good relationship with 3rd parties even if you dont get a lot of exclusives. In the next generation of consoles i expect to see very few 3rd party exclusives (outside of some exclusive/timed exclusive DLC), and i think that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony will have a good 3rd party relationship anyway.

I think it's unlikely that Dragon Quest IX was planned on PS2; in any case, if you introduce this state of nature, you're even strengthening my point: it means that Sony didn't do anything to keep the best selling third party IPs in Japan on their platforms.

The fact is that Dragon Quest IX was announced as a DS exclusive to begin with. We know that Nintendo did its part to have the franchise on its platforms, therefore Nintendo was able to build some kind of relationship with a third party (historically, and this is a fact, a third party that had many up and downs with Nintendo); Sony just stood watching. If the unlikely scenario you brought up really happened, that's even worse, because it means that at a certain point Square Enix was developing the next mainline entry of Dragon Quest on PS2, and the company basically didn't do anything to keep it.
Fair enough.

Yep, Nintendo has been good on this part. I have no idea if Sony just stood watching or if they tried something.

You're moving around the point: was Sony able to keep one of the most important third party franchises on its platforms? No. Either Dragon Quest IX was planned from scratch on DS or not, Square Enix decided to go with Nintendo, and Nintendo surely helped to distribute, promote and keeping the franchise under its wings. I mean, no Dragon Quest on Sony platforms after 2006, and PS2 got four of them. And no hopes for the IP to land on Sony platforms in the future, given that Dragon Quest VII (originally, a PS1 game; wasn't it even partly funded by Sony itself?) is coming on 3DS.
That was your argument, but that wasn't the original point. Dragon Quest is just an example of how Sony wasn't able to keep for itself one of the most important Japanese IPs on its platforms. I can tell you that Monster Hunter is not coming to any Sony platform, that the next Metal Gear Solid is planned for both PS3 and 360, that Final Fantasy XIII was released on Microsoft platform as well, etc. Examples to show that Sony wasn't strong at all with third parties, otherwise some of those things wouldn't have happened.
I'm not moving my point around. My very first point was indeed about Sony's general relationship with 3rd parties, that is true. But as the discussion went on and you said "Square Enix had an argreement with Nintendo" regarding Dragon Question, then i asked you about this. From this point in the discussion i was pretty much only focusing on how much influence Nintendo had on the DQ9 and DQ10 platform decision. I wasnt trying to use this an arguement to what i said first about Sony's general 3rd party relation. I felt that the focus changed as the discussion went on. Sorry if i didnt make that clear.

I hope you realize that all these side issues doesn't change my point, that is: "Sony relationship with third parties has been historically strong" is not a fact at all, let alone Nintendo ability to secure some key Japanese franchises and Microsoft ability to got 90% of external support on home console.
That is fair enough. I'm not really trying to change your point. I'm just presenting my opinions and thoughts on this matter. If you agree or disagree with my opinions in this case, i respect your opinions either way :)

I think you make several of good and valid points regarding the choice of platforms for Dragon Quest 9 and 10 even if i wonder if Square Enix would have chose the DS and Wii for Dragon Question 9 and 10 regardless of Nintendo's involvement (which of course didnt make the choice for Square Enix any harder).

That's why Sony should have had more convincing arguments for third parties to develop exclusively on its platforms...? (other than making a more affordable console, of course).
It it was possible for Sony to come with a convincing arguement to keep all those games exclusive on the PS3, then sure, i agree. But concidering the rough first years for the PS3 and the pressure/competition from Microsoft, i think this was quite difficult.

Hobby

Tsutaya Ranking (11/5/12 ~ 11/11/12)

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (DL version)
3. Shin Sangoku Musou 6 Empires
4. Tales of Xillia 2
5. Winning Eleven 2013 (PSP)
6. Okami HD Edition (PS3)
7. Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition (PS3)
8. Bravely Default
9. Silent Hill: Downpour (PS3)
10. Winning Elevent 2013 (PS3)
11. New Super Mario Bros. 2
12. Dark Souls with Artorias of the Abyss Edition (PS3)
13. Halo 4
14. Resident Evil 6
15. Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! (3DS)
16. Girls Mode
17. AKB48+Me
18. Little Battlers eXperience W (PSP)
19. Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3)
20. Winning Eleven 2013 (3DS)

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090

Hero

Tsutaya Ranking (11/5/12 ~ 11/11/12)

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (DL version)
3. Shin Sangoku Musou 6 Empires
4. Tales of Xillia 2
5. Winning Eleven 2013 (PSP)
6. Okami HD Edition (PS3)
7. Yakuza 1&2 HD Edition (PS3)
8. Bravely Default
9. Silent Hill: Downpour (PS3)
10. Winning Elevent 2013 (PS3)
11. New Super Mario Bros. 2
12. Dark Souls with Artorias of the Abyss Edition (PS3)
13. Halo 4
14. Resident Evil 6
15. Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! (3DS)
16. Girls Mode
17. AKB48+Me
18. Little Battlers eXperience W (PSP)
19. Zone of the Enders HD Edition (PS3)
20. Winning Eleven 2013 (3DS)

http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090

So Animal Crossing download cards are ranked number two? That is insane. Like often talked about and speculated, AC is a great game to have digitally since you don't have to swap carts and what not, I wonder what the ratio is of retail to digital. Look forward to these numbers.

Also, in the 360/Wii/PS3/NDS/PSP generation, what was the biggest game in terms of week one sales? I'm trying to remember what it was, DQ9?

beril

So Animal Crossing download cards are ranked number two? That is insane. Like often talked about and speculated, AC is a great game to have digitally since you don't have to swap carts and what not, I wonder what the ratio is of retail to digital. Look forward to these numbers.

Also, in the 360/Wii/PS3/NDS/PSP generation, what was the biggest game in terms of week one sales? I'm trying to remember what it was, DQ9?

Pokemon B/W 2,637,285
Dragon Quest IX 2,343,440
Monster Hunter P3rd 2,146,467

Hero

Pokemon B/W 2,637,285
Dragon Quest IX 2,343,440
Monster Hunter P3rd 2,146,467

Thanks for the info.

I doubt AC will be able to break any of those records but it should definitely beat all 3 in LTD as long as it has good worth of mouth and keeps the momentum through the holidays and into the remaining years of the 3DS.

Thanks for the info.

I doubt AC will be able to break any of those records but it should definitely beat all 3 in LTD as long as it has good worth of mouth and keeps the momentum through the holidays and into the remaining years of the 3DS.

I have certain doubts that AC will quite live up to them, but that's nothing to be ashamed of.

If it does, then it's definitely time to promote the franchise to the Kings of Japan; Pokemon, Mon Hun, 2D Mario, Dragon Quest.

Hobby

Wii U stands playing video have begun to appear at various electronics stores in cities in Japan. The stands feature two screens, and the videos shown on it include an introduction to Wii U, as well as launch lineup introduction videos such as New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land.

ONzeM.jpg

EPnCx.jpg

More pics here:
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/11/12/61301.html

Hero

I have certain doubts that AC will quite live up to them, but that's nothing to be ashamed of.

If it does, then it's definitely time to promote the franchise to the Kings of Japan; Pokemon, Mon Hun, 2D Mario, Dragon Quest.

Pretty sure Animal Crossing DS did better better LTD numbers than Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest. Maybe Pokemon. I'm sure someone with numbers could clarify.

ohlawd

Pretty sure Animal Crossing DS did better better LTD numbers than Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest. Maybe Pokemon. I'm sure someone with numbers could clarify.

[GCN] Animal Crossing+ (Nintendo) - 92.568 / 641.300 / 14,43% 14/12/01
[GCN] Animal Crossing e+ (Nintendo) - 91.658 / 386.258 / 23,73% 27/06/03
[N64] Animal Crossing (Nintendo) - 36.263 / 213.981 / 16,95% 14/04/01
[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 335.425 / 5.157.481 / 6,50% 23/11/05
[WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 303.204 / 1.221.459 / 24,82% 20/11/08

from here.

urfe

Skewed sample, but everyone I know who bought Animal Crossing (I haven't) bought the downloadable version.

Funnily, one comment from a friend treated having a downloaded version as a cool novel concept. She said "look, I have the DS game you lent me (English Layton), and Animal Crossing both in my 3DS right now)". Definitely feels like the game to bring digital games to the masses in Japan.

Cipherr

Skewed sample, but everyone I know who bought Animal Crossing (I haven't) bought the downloadable version.

Funnily, one comment from a friend treated having a downloaded version as a cool novel concept. She said "look, I have the DS game you lent me (English Layton), and Animal Crossing both in my 3DS right now)". Definitely feels like the game to bring digital games to the masses in Japan.

So finally a game where the "b...b....but the digital sales" excuse for a Media Create BOMBA would be valid. I suppose this game won't need that defense though if the rumors about the first day sellthrough are true.

Probably been said a million times already but just wanted to add my anecdotal evidence that AC is sold out basically everywhere in Tokyo. I wasn't looking for it, there were just huge displays for it in every shop always accompanied by a sold out sign.

urfe

Probably been said a million times already but just wanted to add my anecdotal evidence that AC is sold out basically everywhere in Tokyo. I wasn't looking for it, there were just huge displays for it in every shop always accompanied by a sold out sign.

I should mention it's not sold out around my place at all (90 min out of Tokyo), and all stores I've been to appear to have lots of stock. Definitely popular (Streetpass confirms this), but stores around here (and Nintendo) seem to have prepared for that.

AC is already up there with them all.

My argument was that it needed repeated success at that level to really cement it; City Folk wasn't up there after all.

By Iwata's announcements, it certainly seems to have done the trick. I'm fascinated to see what future impact the 200K download sales have on Nintendo's business and the Japanese market.

My argument was that it needed repeated success at that level to really cement it; City Folk wasn't up there after all.

By Iwata's announcements, it certainly seems to have done the trick. I'm fascinated to see what future impact the 200K download sales have on Nintendo's business and the Japanese market.
AC DS vs AC Wii is like comparing portable MH to console MH. They will never compare just because those series are a much better fit for handhelds. It has nothing to do with the actual series popularity.

AC DS vs AC Wii is like comparing portable MH to console MH. They will never compare just because those series are a much better fit for handhelds. It has nothing to do with the actual series popularity.

Eh, I needed a repeat performance to make sure it wasn't a Nintendogs or Brain Training-style flash in the pan.

It's more than earned its place now.

saichi

Thanks for the info.

not Pokemon B/W which should be over 5.5 million in Japan now.

EDIT:

This week we'll have a Xillia repeat of how low Xillia 2 can go?

Under 50K

I guess this is the defining week for Digital vs. Retail and how much of an impact it is going to have on the charts moving forward. Animal Crossing could very well popularize the medium for the masses in Japan.

I guess this is the defining week for Digital vs. Retail and how much of an impact it is going to have on the charts moving forward. Animal Crossing could very well popularize the medium for the masses in Japan.

And I can't say I'm happy about that because Japan is the only territory we get good sales for and because of the lack of popularity with DD the numbers remained pretty accurate. 1/4 of Animal Crossing's sales not being counted throws everything out of whack.

test_account

XP-39C²
Marvelous AQL earnings release presentation: http://pdf.irpocket.com/C7844/JA1b/gVW4/bStj.pdf

Senran Kagura Burst: 103k
Rune Factory 4: 152k

Gungho earnings release presentation: http://www.morningstar.co.jp/news/video/webnar/pdf/gungho1211.pdf

Ragnarok Odyssey: 200k (around that in Asia and Japan only, over 200k when included NA)
Good to see this success :) Is there any info about net income for the companies in total?

And I can't say I'm happy about that because Japan is the only territory we get good sales for and because of the lack of popularity with DD the numbers remained pretty accurate. 1/4 of Animal Crossing's sales not being counted throws everything out of whack.
It is possible that a big part of the 200k downloads comes from those retail cards, those should be counted. But if Nintendo shipped 600k physical copies (which assumeably is mostly sold out), maybe the trackers can show 700k+ sales if the retail download cards are counted as well. We'll know for sure in two days :)

Road

Good to see this success :) Is there any info about net income for the companies in total?

Well, it's on those presentations. I'm too lazy to translate thoroughly.

MAQL 6 months (yoy comparisons):
- Revenue up 16% - 7.9 billion yen
- Net profit up 143% - 0.645 billion yen
- Online and consumer games both up

Gungho 9 months:
- Revenue up 66% - 11.7 billion yen
- Net profit up 124% - 2.8 billion yen
- PC online games down, mobile and consumer games increased a lot.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, it's on those presentations. I'm too lazy to translate thoroughly.

MAQL 6 months (yoy comparisons):
- Revenue up 16% - 7.9 billion yen
- Net profit up 143% - 0.645 billion yen
- Online and consumer games both up

Gungho 9 months:
- Revenue up 66% - 11.7 billion yen
- Net profit up 124% - 2.8 billion yen
- PC online games down, mobile and consumer games increased a lot.
Thanks for the numbers :) Good to see that they both have increased profit.

Top Bottom