• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2015 (Oct 26 - Nov 1)

It had dry periods, sure, (which seems kind of moot, all consoles experience dry periods) but its still been seeing good and steady releases aligned more with Japan (big and small). And, I'm pretty sure in my post that I said it was selling around PS3 levels, so I don't know why you think I am expecting more from it. The only thing I think is a weak showing is the overall affect of the price cut.

Unless you want to tell me that BB, MGSV, DQH, and the various other titles I'm on the spot forgetting are somehow not big releases + all the usual annual staples. Witcher 3 was a surprise hit, doesn't take away from everything else that hit this year, though.
Well BB, MGSV and DQH definitely were big releases. They are also only releases that have crossed 100k during first week this year on PS4. Regarding of bolded by saying that ''this is still not a good number.'' tells to me that you were expecting more. If it's historically in same ballpark as home console sales have been for 6 years I would say that it's at least doing decently and it's kinda weird to expect more than that. Maybe if you just look at Japan price cut didn't raise the sales enough to be worth it at least in short term but it seems Sony is thinking pricing of PS4 globally like they did with PS3. Would have been weird if Japan had been only place not to get the price cut.

Are those ok numbers for God Eater on PS4? Seems like I would expect higher? Is it just offset by the equivalent offering on PSV?

Vena

Using the same time frame could someone post the LTD for both PS3 and PS4, pls?

Launch aligned is a bit misleading since the PS3 launched holiday but PS4 launched in February. Of course, conversely, the PS3 was considerably more expensive and had ample market competition.

PS3 LTD after 87 weeks on market: 2,207,348
PS4 LTD after 87 weeks on market: 1.945.196

Well BB, MGSV and DQH definitely were big releases. They are also only releases that have crossed 100k during first week this year on PS4. Regarding of bolded by saying that ''this is still not a good number.'' tells to me that you were expecting more. If it's historically in same ballpark as home console sales have been for 6 years I would say that it's at least doing decently and it's kinda weird to expect more than that. Maybe if you just look at Japan price cut didn't raise the sales enough to be worth it at least in short term but it seems Sony is thinking pricing of PS4 globally like they did with PS3. Would have been weird if Japan had been only place not to get the price cut.

The PS3 wasn't the only console to market with any sort of performance, that is why I said it wasn't a good number (so its not historically within the ballpark unless you look at it in a vacuum, and without looking at the price differences of said consoles). And, regardless, its still not a good number. The amount of software being thrown at the system, even if its not breaking 100k, is still a release schedule that few piece of hardware can claim to enjoy. These are all factors that help it perform better than it did last year, on top of the big releases. The fact that so few things are breaking 100k may be saying more about the state of the software environment.

And we're in a sales pit so small that even small releases that move 2-4k units of hardware will have a noticeable affect.

Arzehn

I believe the hunting genre can work on console, but it needs to be tailored towards console. All that we've seen so far is up-rezzed ports. If you made a hunting game that has console level graphics and gameplay it will sell on console. There's not enough reason to get GE on PS4 over Vita when there is little improvement visually, and no gameplay differences.

Right now GE2RB and GER have sold roughly ~35-40k on PS4 FW. I have no doubt that number could be 225k+ FW for GE3 even if it was exclusive to PS4 (which it won't), but took more advantage of the system. By that I mean actually looked and played like a PS4 game.

With that said the PS4 to Vita ratio has in fact increased from the last GE game.

crinale

At the level of XB1 sales in Japan what makes them sell and what won't can't be judged by normal reasoning. Neither price cut nor Halo5 boosted sales by much but week before last week it managed to sell 4 digits.

Mahonay

Banned
At the level of XB1 sales in Japan what makes them sell and what won't can't be judged by normal reasoning. Neither price cut nor Halo5 boosted sales by much but week before last week it managed to sell 4 digits.
The Japan XB1 unit sales are so small such that there's really not much you can decipher by looking the small fluctuations within those numbers.

Launch aligned is a bit misleading since the PS3 launched holiday but PS4 launched in February. Of course, conversely, the PS3 was considerably more expensive and had ample market competition.

PS3 LTD after 87 weeks on market: 2,207,348
PS4 LTD after 87 weeks on market: 1.945.196

Thanks! It seens it's doing almost the same, next year will be more interesting because the PS3's third year was it's best one sales wise.

Vena

Thanks! It seens it's doing almost the same, next year will be more interesting because the PS3's third year was it's best one sales wise.

Yes, between the price cut and slim launch (on top of a killer line up) it was a hot 1.8m on the year. I don't think there's much chance in the PS4 catching the PS3 but it should have another good year ahead of it next year.

NeonZ

I believe the hunting genre can work on console, but it needs to be tailored towards console. All that we've seen so far is up-rezzed ports. If you made a hunting game that has console level graphics and gameplay it will sell on console. There's not enough reason to get GE on PS4 over Vita when there is little improvement visually, and no gameplay differences.

Other games in similar conditions (Ps4/Vita) have had significantly higher percentage of console sales though (compared to this, I don't necessarily mean PS4 > Vita).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

It sold 4 digits that week because of the price cut/bundle is what previous posters have been saying FYI. Seems like they released the bundle before Halo 5 released.

Famitsu #s
01./00. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.626) - 114.994 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] God Eater: Resurrection # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.663) - 28.487 / NEW

03./01. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.10.22} (¥5.076) - 21.292 / 79.886
04./00. [PSV] Yomawari <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) (¥6.458) - 21.196 / NEW
05./04. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥6.156) - 12.823 / 386.421
06./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.968) - 12.806 / 1.597.600
07./00. [PS4] NBA 2K16 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥7.020) - 8.499/ NEW
08./06. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 8.113 / 763.086
09./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.320) - 6.869 / 1.124.502
10./10. [3DS] Picross 3D 2 <PZL> (Nintendo) {2015.10.01} (¥3.240) - 5.971 / 61.372
11./02. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1! <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2015.10.22} (¥5.832) - 5.821 / 36.626
12./09. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 5.785 / 357.862
13./00. [XB1] Halo 5: Guardians # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥7.452) - 5.549 / NEW
14./05. [3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VFD <RPG> (Sega) {2015.10.15} (¥6.469) - 5.143 / 90.441
15./00. [PS3] NBA 2K16 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) (¥6.264) - 5.033 / NEW
16./08. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥7.128) - 4.789 / 97.545
17./00. [PSV]&#12450;&#12522;&#12450;&#12474; &#12459;&#12540;&#12491;&#12496;&#12523;&#65281; &#12469;&#12463;&#12521;&#12513;&#12531;&#12488;&#12304;dramatic create&#12305;( Alias Carnival! ?) (¥6.900) - 3.737 / NEW
18./00. [PSV] &#24651;&#24859;&#12522;&#12505;&#12531;&#12472;&#12304;TGL&#12305;(¥4.980) - 3.413 / NEW
19./13. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2015.09.17} (¥5.076) - 3.083 / 255.252
20./14. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Returns <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.08} (¥6.145) - 3.070 / 37.471
21./11. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥8.208) - 2.909 / 68.480
22./18. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥5.389) - 2.843 / 14.087
23./17. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.08.27} (¥6.458) - 2.749 / 850.184
24./16. [3DS] Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.10.08} (¥5.076) - 2.648 / 28.302
25./12. [PS4] Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection <Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception> <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.10.08} (¥7.452) - 2.432 / 34.622
26./15. [PSV] Tokyo Xanadu # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2015.09.30} (¥6.998) - 2.355 / 118.328
27./25. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 2.307 / 2.894.190
28./20. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 2.247 / 413.320
29./19. [PSV] Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) {2015.09.24} (¥7.344) - 2.073 / 43.039
30./23. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 1.978 / 503.703

Hardware
PS4 - 20850
3DS - 18567
Vita - 14808
Wii U - 8139
PS3 - 1476
XB1 - 405

Arzehn

Other games in similar conditions (Ps4/Vita) have had significantly higher percentage of console sales though (compared to this, I don't necessarily mean PS4 > Vita).

I don't believe the conditions are similar however. In most of those cases the lead platform has been console, while the handheld would get the port. Recent example being Yoru no Nai Kuni.

Vena

I don't believe the conditions are similar however. In most of those cases the lead platform has been console, while the handheld would get the port. Recent example being Yoru no Nai Kuni which has more sales on console.

Far as I am aware, it doesn't. It got the promotion and lead platform but was still outsold after the first week.

Oh, you edited.

Arzehn

Far as I am aware, it doesn't. It got the promotion and lead platform but was still outsold after the first week.

Oh, you edited.

I did, but it really did sell more on console (PS4+PS3) but it didn't really matter to my point.

About the PS4 price cut, I agree with Vena. It's nowhere near amazing. Compared with the trends before the cut/after the Bloodborne bundle, and considering there was a 40k release this week, its effect on sales seems minimal. As was pointed out, the PS3 was a more expensive system at this point, and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think the PS3 was considered a success in Japan until after it stayed on the market for long enough to reach an all right LTD.

Still doing better than the Wii U and it will stay on the market longer, but I don't feel like this price cut will have changed much at all in the long run.

I guess just how successful or unsuccessful the PS4 will end up being perceived as might be impacted by the NX, depending on what it is and how home console Japanese developers react to it.

About the PS4 price cut, I agree with Vena. It's nowhere near amazing. Compared with the trends before the cut/after the Bloodborne bundle, and considering there was a 40k release this week, its effect on sales seems minimal. As was pointed out, the PS3 was a more expensive system at this point, and, correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think the PS3 was considered a success in Japan until after it stayed on the market for long enough to reach an all right LTD.

Still doing better than the Wii U and it will stay on the market longer, but I don't feel like this price cut will have changed much at all in the long run.

I guess just how successful or unsuccessful the PS4 will end up being perceived as might be impacted by the NX, depending on what it is and how home console Japanese developers react to it.

I'd argue that since and including price cut week there's been no decent size release to help the cut further. If the games aren't there for people then the price is only going to help so much. I'd imagine sales would be pretty bad now and through Xmas if there was no cut to help it. Take a look at last years number and potentially it could be even less per week if it stayed the way it was.

It's not going to be a success like many hope and revive the console market in Japan but these numbers are decent and without a really big game this Xmas to help.

I'd argue that since and including price cut week there's been no decent size release to help the cut further. If the games aren't there for people then the price is only going to help so much. I'd imagine sales would be pretty bad now and through Xmas if there was no cut to help it. Take a look at last years number and potentially it could be even less per week if it stayed the way it was.

It's not going to be a success like many hope and revive the console market in Japan but these numbers are decent and without a really big game this Xmas to help.

The comparison shouldn't really be with last year's numbers, it should be with the pre-price cut numbers. The Bloodborne bundle helped the PS4 tremendously in that it stabilized it at higher levels ever since it was introduced.

Virtually all price cuts positively impact hardware sales for a minimum of a few weeks, but it's where it's at after that that will tell you whether it was worth it or not. For example, Nintendo is not dropping the price of the Wii U or offering crazy bundles because they know the impact on sales would be short-lived and end up not being worth the loss in revenue. I think the same will be true with the PS4 price cut, but we'll see.

BKK

Launch aligned, it will be more expensive at every point in it's life. PS3 RRP is currently at ¥28,058 after nine years, lol.

The PS3 wasn't the only console to market with any sort of performance, that is why I said it wasn't a good number (so its not historically within the ballpark unless you look at it in a vacuum, and without looking at the price differences of said consoles). And, regardless, its still not a good number. The amount of software being thrown at the system, even if its not breaking 100k, is still a release schedule that few piece of hardware can claim to enjoy. These are all factors that help it perform better than it did last year, on top of the big releases. The fact that so few things are breaking 100k may be saying more about the state of the software environment.

And we're in a sales pit so small that even small releases that move 2-4k units of hardware will have a noticeable affect.

Well I was looking solely home consoles and for home consoles it's not in vacuum to compare this performance to PS3 if we are looking sales during past 6 years. Well I guess you could include Wii and WiiU but that really doesn't change the picture post 2008. Of course if we go farther to the history then it starts to look worse but I don't know if making that comparison is that meaningful knowing how much the market for deticated gaming devices (and especially for home consoles) has cratered. PS4 sales now are not good or bad for the current home console market. That is just the sad state of home console market today in Japan

The comparison shouldn't really be with last year's numbers, it should be with the pre-price cut numbers. The Bloodborne bundle helped the PS4 tremendously in that it stabilized it at higher levels ever since it was introduced.

Virtually all price cuts positively impact hardware sales for a minimum of a few weeks, but it's where it's at after that that will tell you whether it was worth it or not. For example, Nintendo is not dropping the price of the Wii U or offering crazy bundles because they know the impact on sales would be short-lived and end up not being worth the loss in revenue. I think the same will be true with the PS4 price cut, but we'll see.

Difference between WiiU and PS4 is though that PS4 actually has some kind of release schedule. Price drops wouldn't help WiiU as much because there are so many weeks with absolutely nothing releasing on it. Cheaper point of entry for PS4 will also have an effect on how much the software releases push hw.

Launch aligned, it will be more expensive at every point in it's life. PS3 RRP is currently at ¥28,058 after nine years, lol.
Just couple of weeks ago PS4 and PS3 were same price launch aligned and if Sony drops the price another 5k late next year they will have same price again launch aligned. PS3 just had insane launch price (it saw 50% reduction in price in just 3 years). After next year PS4 should still see price cuts unlike PS3 though because it has lot smarter system architecture that allows far lower manufacturing costs.

Vena

Well I was looking solely home consoles and for home consoles it's not in vacuum to compare this performance to PS3 if we are looking sales during past 6 years. Well I guess you could include Wii and WiiU but that really doesn't change the picture post 2008. Of course if we go farther to the history then it starts to look worse but I don't know if making that comparison is that meaningful knowing how much the market for deticated gaming devices (and especially for home consoles) has cratered. PS4 sales now are not good or bad for the current home console market. That is just the sad state of home console market today in Japan

Well, yes. Not much else to say really. :p

BKK

Just couple of weeks ago PS4 and PS3 were same price launch aligned and if Sony drops the price another 5k late next year they will have same price again launch aligned. PS3 just had insane launch price (it saw 50% reduction in price in just 3 years). After next year PS4 should still see price cuts unlike PS3 though because it has lot smarter system architecture that allows far lower manufacturing costs.

Oops, my bad, I misremembered the size of the first PS3 price cut. Still, PS4 will mostly be cheaper, than PS3 launch aligned.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
2013 is back the bigger Wii U year in Japan ( iric, by 1k).
Will be interesting see how will sell Wii U by now, seem pretty unlucky the 2013 numbers, but who know, Splatoon bundle incoming for the nexts 2 weeks can be very important.

CS_z8PRWwAE94vG.png:large

Nexts Wii U weekly sales

Code:
Week              2013                 2014
W45	           17.737	          4.787
W46	           15.906	         14.002
W47	           21.002	          9.615
W48	           28.518	         12.496
W49	           48.762	         24.469
W50	           74.903	         27.334
W51	          109.113	         38.314
W52	           73.178	         43.950

And PS4 is selling much better than last year, but i'm too bored for made a graph. :p

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2015 (Oct 26 - Nov 01)

01./00. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥5.626) - 125.876 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥6.663) - 25.700 / NEW
03./00. [PSV] Yomawari <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.10.29} (¥6.458) - 22.472 / NEW
04./01. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.10.22} (¥5.076) - 19.499 / 73.893 (-64%)
05./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.968) - 19.355 / 1.694.351 (-7%)
06./00. [PS4] God Eater: Resurrection - Crossplay Pack & Animation Vol.1 <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥10.778) - 16.281 / NEW
07./04. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥6.156) - 13.764 / 350.803 (-13%)
08./06. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 11.969 / 749.447 (-9%)
09./00. [PS4] NBA 2K16 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.29} (¥7.020) - 8.707 / NEW
10./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.320) - 7.679 / 1.106.582 (-11%)
11./00. [XB1] Halo 5: Guardians # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2015.10.29} (¥7.452) - 7.455 / NEW
12./08. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 7.155 / 382.419 (-5%)
13./02. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1! <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2015.10.22} (¥5.832) - 6.561 / 40.596 (-81%)
14./05. [3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VFD <RPG> (Sega) {2015.10.15} (¥6.469) - 6.224 / 92.000 (-53%)
15./11. [3DS] Picross 3D 2 <PZL> (Nintendo) {2015.10.01} (¥3.240) - 6.162 / 64.309 (+4%)
16./00. [PS3] NBA 2K16 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.29} (¥6.264) - 5.194 / NEW
17./09. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥7.128) - 5.040 / 87.453 (-22%)
18./10. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2015.09.17} (¥5.076) - 4.923 / 248.417 (-23%)
19./13. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 4.100 / 415.820 (-17%)
20./12. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Returns <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.08} (¥6.145) - 4.026 / 42.447 (-32%)

Top 20

3DS - 8
PS4 - 4
PSV - 3
PS3 - 2
WIU - 2
XB1 - 1

HARDWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|  PS4  |     22.104 |     22.801 |      8.906 |    974.529 |    771.020 |   1.945.196 |
| 3DS # |     21.880 |     21.429 |     69.673 |  1.486.956 |  2.141.789 |  19.325.401 |
| PSV # |     15.173 |     13.763 |     11.406 |    764.582 |    972.319 |   4.288.509 |
|  WIU  |      9.127 |      9.961 |      4.696 |    508.178 |    443.183 |   2.651.758 |
|  PS3  |      1.931 |      1.909 |      5.066 |    197.035 |    404.240 |  10.366.026 |
|  XB1  |        534 |      1.009 |        599 |     15.130 |     34.927 |      58.397 |
|  ALL  |     70.749 |     70.872 |    100.475 |  3.946.410 |  4.873.963 |  38.635.287 |
| PSVTV |        807 |        782 |        718 |     28.518 |     66.697 |     178.731 |
|  PSV  |     14.366 |     12.981 |     10.688 |    736.064 |    905.622 |   4.109.778 |
|n-3DSLL|     16.824 |     16.144 |     41.633 |    986.405 |    326.123 |   1.853.463 |
| n-3DS |      3.559 |      3.530 |     14.040 |    310.146 |    134.712 |     679.452 |
| 3DSLL |        509 |        478 |      9.270 |     89.909 |  1.266.850 |   6.922.532 |
|  3DS  |        988 |      1.277 |      4.730 |    100.496 |    414.104 |   9.869.954 |

Famitsu Sales: Week 44, 2015 (Oct 26 - Nov 01)

01./00. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥5.626) - 114.994 / NEW <60-80%>
02./00. [PS4] God Eater: Resurrection # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.29} (¥6.663) - 28.487 / NEW <60-80%>
03./01. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes <ADV> (Nintendo) {2015.10.22} (¥5.076) - 21.292 / 79.886 <60-80%> (-64%)
04./00. [PSV] Yomawari <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.10.29} (¥6.458) - 21.196 / NEW <80-100%>
05./04. [WIU] Super Mario Maker # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.09.10} (¥6.156) - 12.823 / 386.421 <80-100%> (-14%)
06./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5) {2015.07.11} (¥4.968) - 12.806 / 1.597.600 <80-100%> (-15%)
07./00. [PS4] NBA 2K16 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.29} (¥7.020) - 8.499 / NEW <60-80%>
08./06. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 8.113 / 763.086 <80-100%> (-14%)
09./07. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2015.07.30} (¥4.320) - 6.869 / 1.124.502 <80-100%> (-16%)
10./10. [3DS] Picross 3D 2 <PZL> (Nintendo) {2015.10.01} (¥3.240) - 5.971 / 61.372 <80-100%> (+1%)
11./02. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1! <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2015.10.22} (¥5.832) - 5.821 / 36.626 <40-60%> (-81%)
12./09. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 5.785 / 357.862 <80-100%> (-10%)
13./00. [XB1] Halo 5: Guardians # <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2015.10.29} (¥7.452) - 5.549 / NEW <80-100%>
14./05. [3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VFD <RPG> (Sega) {2015.10.15} (¥6.469) - 5.143 / 90.441 <80-100%> (-60%)
15./00. [PS3] NBA 2K16 <SPT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.29} (¥6.264) - 5.033 / NEW <40-60%>
16./08. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥7.128) - 4.789 / 97.545 <80-100%> (-28%)
17./00. [PSV] Alia's Carnival! Sacrament <ADV> (Dramatic Create) {2015.10.29} (¥7.452) - 3.737 / NEW <60-80%>
18./00. [PSV] Renai Revenge # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) {2015.10.29} (¥5.378) - 3.413 / NEW <60-80%>
19./13. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2015.09.17} (¥5.076) - 3.083 / 255.252 <80-100%> (-26%)
20./14. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Returns <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.10.08} (¥6.145) - 3.070 / 37.471 <80-100%> (-24%)
21./11. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥8.208) - 2.909 / 68.480 <80-100%> (-37%)
22./18. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥5.389) - 2.843 / 14.087 <60-80%> (-20%)
23./17. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.08.27} (¥6.458) - 2.749 / 850.184 <80-100%> (-23%)
24./16. [3DS] Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.10.08} (¥5.076) - 2.648 / 28.302 <40-60%> (-26%)
25./12. [PS4] Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection <Uncharted: Drake's Fortune \ Uncharted 2: Among Thieves \ Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception> <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.10.08} (¥7.452) - 2.432 / 34.622 <60-80%> (-42%)
26./15. [PSV] Tokyo Xanadu # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2015.09.30} (¥6.998) - 2.355 / 118.328 <80-100%> (-41%)
27./25. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 2.307 / 2.894.190 <80-100%> (+11%)
28./20. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 2.247 / 413.320 <80-100%> (-26%)
29./19. [PSV] Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) {2015.09.24} (¥7.344) - 2.073 / 43.039 <80-100%> (-37%)
30./23. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076) - 1.978 / 503.703 <80-100%> (-18%)

Top 30

3DS - 12
PSV - 7
PS4 - 6
PS3 - 2
WIU - 2
XB1 - 1

HARDWARE
Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
|  PS4  |     20.850 |     21.562 |      8.014 |    909.813 |    749.948 |   1.835.383 |
| 3DS # |     18.567 |     19.394 |     63.076 |  1.466.246 |  2.167.822 |  19.313.302 |
| PSV # |     14.808 |     13.516 |     11.057 |    742.568 |    969.556 |   4.165.643 |
|  WIU  |      8.139 |      9.349 |      3.623 |    510.038 |    424.944 |   2.633.321 |
|  PS3  |      1.476 |      1.433 |      4.645 |    173.361 |    402.878 |  10.191.895 |
|  XB1  |        405 |        813 |      1.264 |     14.625 |     35.912 |      60.583 |
|  ALL  |     64.245 |     66.067 |     91.765 |  3.816.651 |  4.834.383 |  38.200.127 |

D a t a b a s e
Japanese Sales database <-download it here

Previous Threads
2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2015 (Oct 19 - Oct 25)

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Long time lurker, first time poster. It's going to be really interesting to see the BOIII split in Japan this year. Last year the split favoured PS3 and it was the same for the dubbed edition. Meanwhile this year the last-gen version isn't much of a version at all and the PS4 is selling about 25 percent better this week than on subbed Advanced Warfare's release week last year. I know that COD doesn't move much hardware in Japan but frankly the PS4 needs something more than 20k and COD should be good for decent numbers.

I have to ask though, why is there a dubbed edition later? It sells very few copies.

Edit: Nvm, Chris1964 I'm dumb. i'll see myself out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbone and Halo sells better in Finland than in Japan.

There's something you definitely couldn't say about the 360.

hiska-kun

Week 45, 2015 (5th of November)

[PS4] [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Sony Japan) <6th of November>
[3DS] Disney Magic Castle 2: My Happy Life (Bandai Namco)

Week 46, 2015 (12th of November)

[3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World (Bandai Namco)
[PS4] Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Ubisoft)
[WIU] Splatoon Bundle Set (Nintendo)

Week 47, 2015 (19th of November)

[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront (EA Japan)
[WIU] Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (Nintendo) <21st of November>
[3DS] Pokemon Rumble World (Pokemon Co.)
[PS4] [PSV] Grand Kingdom (Spike Chunsoft)
[PS4] [PS3] [PSV] Atelier's Sophie (Koei Tecmo)
[PS4] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco)

Week 48, 2015 (26th of November)

[3DS] Monster Hunter Cross (Capcom) <28th of November>
[3DS] Aikatsu! My No.1 Stage (Bandai Namco)
[PS4] [PS3] Blade Arcus from Shining EX (Sega)
[WIU] Taiko no Tatsujin: Atsumete Tomodachi Daisakusen (Bandai Namco)

Week 49, 2015 (3rd of December)

[PS4] Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition (Sony Japan)
[3DS] Mario & Luigi RPG: Paper Jam (Nintendo)
[WIU] Yo-kai Watch Dance: Just Dance Special Version (Level 5) <5th of December>

Week 50, 2015 (10th of December)

[PS4] Gravity Daze (Sony Japan)
[PSV] Idol M@ster Must Songs (Bandai Namco)

Week 51, 2015 (17th of December)

[3DS] Monster Strike (Mixi)
[PS4] Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
[PS4] [PS3] JoJo Bizarre's Adventure: Eyes of Heaven (Bandai Namco)
[PS4] [PSV] Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky (Spike Chunsoft)
[PS4] [PS3] [PSV] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition (Sega)
[PSV] Miracle Girls Festival (Sega)

Week 52, 2015 (23rd of December)

[PSV] Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme VS Force (Bandai Namco)
[3DS] Medarot 9: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Rocket Company)
[WIU] Genei Ibunroku #FE (Nintendo) <26th of December>

jjonez18

And PS4 is selling much better than last year, but i'm too bored for made a graph. :p

Pretty please? :)

That is, if you have the time.

Long time lurker, first time poster. It's going to be really interesting to see the BOIII split in Japan this year. Last year the split favoured PS3 and it was the same for the dubbed edition. Meanwhile this year the last-gen version isn't much of a version at all and the PS4 is selling about 25 percent better this week than on subbed Advanced Warfare's release week last year. I know that COD doesn't move much hardware in Japan but frankly the PS4 needs something more than 20k and COD should be good for decent numbers..

On COMG at least, the PS4 BO3 is tracking more in line with the combined PS4/PS3 totals from AW. The PS3 version isn't doing so hot. The total won't be back to the near 200k launches of CoD in its heyday but it will be >= AW with PS4 taking at least >100k of those sales. Should move a nice chunk of hardware too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2015.11.12}

[3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.171)
[3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World (1/1)(Limited Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.778)
[3DS] Kaite Oboeru: DoraGana <EDU> (Shogakukan) (¥4.860)

[PSV] Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki with Power-Up Kit - HD Version <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥6.264)

[WIU] Splatoon (1/1)(Wii U Splatoon Set) <ACT> (Nintendo) (¥36.720)
[WIU] Art Academy: Home Studio <HOB> (Nintendo) (¥3.996)
[WIU] Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.776)

[PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥9.072)
[PS4] Need for Speed <RCE> (Electronic Arts) (¥8.424)
[PS4] Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.776)
[PS4] The Crew [1/1][Ubi the Best] <RCE> (Ubisoft) (¥4.298)

[XB1] Rise of the Tomb Raider # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥7.452)
[XB1] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥9.072)
[XB1] Need for Speed <RCE> (Electronic Arts) (¥8.424)

[PS3] Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.776)
[PS3] Shining Resonance [1/1][PlayStation 3 the Best] <RPG> (Sega) (¥3.229)

[360] Rise of the Tomb Raider <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥6.372)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Pretty please? :)

That is, if you have the time.

Tomorrow. :D

On COMG at least, the PS4 BO3 is tracking more in line with the combined PS4/PS3 totals from AW. The PS3 version isn't doing so hot. The total won't be back to the near 200k launches of CoD in its heyday but it will be at least >= AW with PS4 taking at least >100k of those sales.

I predict 120,000 for BO III on PS4 next week.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw does Mario Tennis not have a release date yet in Japan?

And are we expecting Disney Infinity 3.0 to bomb as badly as the previous ones in Japan? Or can Star Wars help it a little bit?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
PS4 will be >26k next week or I will eat my hat.

On COMG at least, the PS4 BO3 is tracking more in line with the combined PS4/PS3 totals from AW. The PS3 version isn't doing so hot. The total won't be back to the near 200k launches of CoD in its heyday but it will be > AW with PS4 taking at least >100k of those sales. Should move a nice chunk of hardware too.

Wow that is very promising, thanks.

Activision said Black ops III pre orders are much bigger than Advanced Warfare.

They were talking about worldwide though, not that I would expect Black Ops to have Ghosts/Advanced Warfare difficulties in Japan despite that but hey.

I was sort of worried until now about both the split and the sales level.

Edit: I'm still dumb, I shouldn't post in Media Create threads, sorry.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have to ask though, why is there a dubbed edition later? It sells very few copies.

Are you sure?

2010 CY {2010.01.04 - 2011.01.02} 214. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2010.12.16} (¥7.980) - 47.887 / 47.887
2011 CY {2011.01.03 - 2012.01.01} 159. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2010.12.16} (¥7.980) - 81.893 / 129.780

2011 CY {2011.01.03 - 2012.01.01} 215. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition [1/2][Bargain Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.09.01} (¥3.990) - 51.448 / 51.448
2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 233. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition [1/2][Bargain Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.09.01} (¥3.990) - 40.837 / 92.286

2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 292. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition [2/2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940) - 29.855 / 29.855
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 253. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition [2/2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940) - 31.224 / 61.079
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 716. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition [2/2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥2.940) - 3.530 / 64.610

2010 CY {2010.01.04 - 2011.01.02} 696. [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2010.12.16} (¥7.980) - 9.435 / 9.435
2011 CY {2011.01.03 - 2012.01.01} 807. [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2010.12.16} (¥7.980) - 6.626 / 16.061

2011 CY {2011.01.03 - 2012.01.01} 181. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.12.22} (¥7.980) - 68.549 / 68.549
2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 130. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.12.22} (¥7.980) - 79.423 / 147.973
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 000. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.12.22} (¥7.980) - 17 / 147.990

2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 276. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition [1/2][Bargain Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥3.990) - 32.052 / 32.052
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 317. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition [1/2][Bargain Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.09.06} (¥3.990) - 21.793 / 53.845

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 648. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition [2/2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.09.05} (¥2.940) - 5.977 / 5.977
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 502. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition [2/2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.09.05} (¥2.940) - 7.231 / 13.208

2011 CY {2011.01.03 - 2012.01.01} 740. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.12.22} (¥7.980) - 7.903 / 7.903
2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 852. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2011.12.22} (¥7.980) - 4.911 / 12.814

2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 143. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 71.971 / 71.971
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 086. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 108.613 / 180.585
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 000. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 95 / 180.680

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 286. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition [1/2][Bargain Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.09.05} (¥3.990) - 25.576 / 25.576
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 203. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition [1/2][Bargain Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.09.05} (¥3.990) - 35.702 / 61.279

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 266. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition [2/2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥3.024) - 24.101 / 24.101

2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 640. [WIU] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 8.720 / 8.720
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 482. [WIU] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 10.303 / 19.023
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 980. [WIU] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 1.778 / 20.800

2012 CY {2012.01.02 - 2012.12.30} 753. [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 6.166 / 6.166
2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 736. [360] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.12.20} (¥7.980) - 4.679 / 10.844

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 162. [PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.12.12} (¥7.980) - 58.650 / 58.650
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 196. [PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.12.12} (¥7.980) - 38.340 / 96.990

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 501. [PS3] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104) - 7.329 / 7.329

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 184. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.02.22} (¥7.980) - 40.476 / 40.476

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 589. [PS4] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104) - 5.138 / 5.138

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 834. [360] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.12.12} (¥7.980) - 3.651 / 3.651
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 918. [360] Call of Duty: Ghosts - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.12.12} (¥7.980) - 2.059 / 5.709

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 225. [PS3] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.12.04} (¥8.424) - 31.869 / 31.869

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 309. [PS4] Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Dubbed Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.12.04} (¥8.424) - 18.764 / 18.764

DrWong

All right Mafia Creators, I'm going to pull the parts of Nintendo's Q&A - in regards to mobile that is - that I feel are most relevant.

Normally I'd respond item by item, but to avoid setting the tone of the discussion, I'll let at least a few people weigh in first before responding myself.

I've broken up the quotes into short segments since I think I'll probably be replying to them that way later.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029qa/index.html

I realize that's a lot, but I still cut out like 2/3rds or 3/4ths of their statements to try and reduce to statements that contain any form of meaning.
Yes it's a lot but in the end I take it that way:
- They want to pollinate the smarpthone ecosystem with exclusives app/games and companions apps for their consoles while using, when there's money involved, different monetization methods.
- The first goal is to evangelize for their dedicated systems/IPs, second to take smartphone monies
- That said, they're aware of their unique position as software maker/IPs owner and know they can find the next new big thing on smartphone by taking advantage of the system and leveraging on their developper experience. So they're ambitious on this front and not only chasing the accounts.

All of this will be encompassed byt the Nintendo Account and when NX will launch there will be, already, 10s of millions of accounts in the wild so it should make an interesting hardware transition.

The account system is their key to the future, a future where a Nintendo platform will no more be defined by the systems but by the Nintendo Account (paraphrasing Iwata in an IR Q/R where he said it but with NNID).

I agree with their strategy but now, they have to execute.

system11

Had to blink a few times. Still not convinced I saw a XB1 title in the Japanese top 20. Have quickly checked outside to make sure I'm not currently in some kind of terrifying dream world.

Top Bottom