• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2015 (Oct 26 - Nov 1)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./00. [PSV] Renai Revenge # <ADV> (Technical Group Laboratory) {2015.10.29} (¥5.378)
22./18. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [1/1][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥5.389)
23./15. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.10.01} (¥8.208)
24./00. [PSV] Alia's Carnival! Sacrament <ADV> (Dramatic Create) {2015.10.29} (¥7.452)
25./17. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.08.27} (¥6.458)
26./14. [PSV] Tokyo Xanadu # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2015.09.30} (¥6.998)
27./20. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072)
28./21. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best+ <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.06.11} (¥5.076)
29./19. [3DS] Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.10.08} (¥5.076)
30./25. [3DS] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village DX <ETC> (Capcom) {2015.09.10} (¥4.309)
31./28. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937)
32./16. [PS4] Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection <Uncharted: Drake's Fortune \ Uncharted 2: Among Thieves \ Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception> <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.10.08} (¥7.452)
33./23. [PSV] Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) {2015.09.24} (¥7.344)
34./36. [PSV] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational [1/1][PlayStation Vita the Best] # <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.10.10} (¥2.940)
35./29. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800)
36./24. [PS4] FIFA 16 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.10.08} (¥8.424)
37./30. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156)
38./32. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616)
39./35. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
40./22. [PSV] Geki Jigen Tag: Blanc + Hyperdimension Neptunia Vs. Zombie Gundan # <ACT> (Compile Heart) {2015.10.15} (¥7.344)
41./27. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥6.264)
42./39. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V [2/2][New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} (¥3.499)
43./37. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.12.06} (¥7.776)
44./00. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 <SPT> (Konami) {2015.03.26} (¥7.538)
45./41. [PS3] Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen # <SLG> (Aqua Plus) {2015.09.24} (¥7.344)
46./31. [PS3] FIFA 16 # <SPT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.10.08} (¥7.344)
47./42. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥6.145)
48./44. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800)
49./34. [PSV] World Trigger: Borderless Mission <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.09.17} (¥6.145)
50./33. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344)

Top 50

3DS - 18
PSV - 12
PS4 - 9
PS3 - 6
WIU - 4
XB1 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    481.000 |    362.000 |    435.000 | 26.917.000 | 32.456.000 |

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 45, 2015 (Nov 9 - Nov 15)

01. [3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World < 60k (average 50k)
02. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate < 40k (average 35k)
03. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2 < 30k (average 25k)

Ryng_tolu

Banned
YSO predictions

Week 45, 2015 (Nov 9 - Nov 15)

02. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate < 40k (average 35k)

[WEEK 47] ASSASSIN'S CREED UNITY - 36.400 / NEW

Looks like they are gonna be close, but in the west Syndacate has better legs... i hope Syndacate will beat Unity in LT sales

Thank you for correcting me.
2 million doesn't seem out of question. But it will be possible only if we get another price reduction of 5000 yen. Which is possible but a bit unlikely

imo, there is less than 1% chance for 2 million.
This should mean sell more than PS3 peak, which sold >150k in the Slim released week and >200k in the Final Fantasy week.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All right, getting back to the mobile quotes as I said I would. Here's the reference link for the fiscal Q&A: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029qa/index.html

For the smart device applications that we will be releasing after Miitomo, we are considering monetization methods optimal for each application, including charging a fixed amount at point of purchase.
I don't feel anything that's an upfront cover fee is likely to make a significant amount of money. I would view it as rather akin to making a Nintendo eShop release.

That's fine if they don't have big ambitions and just want to make some things that might move a few million units at $1-$5 targeting kids without handhelds. I think free 2 play with extremely light monetization (or none) would still be a better fit for raw exposure though.

If their goal instead is to establish a strong and consistent revenue stream from mobile, this is a poor fit.

If they try to put out $10+ mobile games, that's going no where.

Regarding the alliance with DeNA, things are running smoothly as initially announced. Nintendo has been developing the applications and DeNA will take care of data analysis, etc. The alliance is moving forward with each company contributing in their areas of expertise.
DeNA seems less involved than I felt the initial announcement implied. I assumed they were helping design the games, but it sounds like they're just doing telemetry, distribution, networking backends, and maybe advising them on the rate at which they should add new content. I suspect they're not very involved in monetization either given what Nintendo is thinking of doing.

Other than this first application called Miitomo, we are planning other applications that will work with Nintendo&#8217;s dedicated video game systems.
If I'm interpreting this correctly, they're thinking of apps a la Pokemon Shuffle that are on both mobile and handhelds.

I guess they could be referring to companion apps as well, but generally those are things that don't have monetization elements and wouldn't be something you'd talk about as part of five mobile games a year.

For our applications that will be enjoyed only on smart devices, we are creating ideas so that even those smart device users who do not usually play with applications can enjoy them.
While I get why they want to go this route, it strikes me as kind of an odd idea. I feel there are very few people who own a smartphone, almost never touch games on either phones or dedicated devices, but would totally touch Nintendo games. Nintendo's brand cachet strikes me as something that appeals largely to people who at least like the concept of video games and would engage with them on at least a somewhat regular basis. I realize there was the Wii era where they were appealing to people who had never played a game before, but I'm not sure how likely they are to reach an audience that would be interested in trying games, yet has never really ventures to try something on their phone. The barrier to entry seems to have already been dropped to the floor.

While it is important for us to earn profits from our smart device business alone, our primary objective is to encourage smart device users to be interested in and to play with our dedicated video game systems, and we are focused on this goal.
This strikes me as slightly counterproductive. Sonic Dash at 150 million downloads is a great way to advertise the Sonic brand, and then that brand is offered to people in as many ways as possible (dedicated device games, more mobile games, tv shows, merchandizing, etc). A paid game would often struggle to pass 1 million copies, which is obviously endlessly worse at extended brand reach. Now, obviously Sonic Dash has some light monetization that makes money, but not a tremendous amount, and I would think that'd be the best option for Nintendo to reach audiences if their primary goal is promotional. Instead, it sounds like they want to take the method of Hitman Go, which is kind of an oddity meant to appeal to people who play both console games and mobile games already, and introduce the brand to them in a way they might like. That's a way more specific audience than I feel Nintendo should be going for however.

Also, I think as long as you view a mobile title as a gateway to another product, you're doing a disservice to the product itself. Sonic Dash is actually treated as a core product of the series, gets frequent big updates, and even a sequel. They even do cross-over promotions with it, have a studio dedicated to Sonic mobile titles, and followed up with more Sonic games to engage with that audience.

Taking another more traditional gamer oriented product, Hearthstone is a great way to get people interested in Warcraft, but it's never treated as a gateway to WoW. Obviously Blizzard has strong cross promotions between all their products, so for example Hearthstone gives you a mount in WoW and WoW gives you card backs in Hearthstone. The game itself though is treated as an absolute front line product and even got its own debut event while World of Warcraft: Legion was tied in with all their other Gamescom announcements.

Now, this might not be an issue in practice, and they'll treat each mobile title as an important product on its own merits that has the bonus of potentially funneling people to their dedicated devices, but if they're making decisions to limit these products or otherwise cap investment in an effort to try to upsell people, I think that's the wrong approach.

On the other hand, revenue is gained at different times on free-to-start applications and the ones we will ask consumers to pay a certain amount of money for when they download them, and we are planning to apply different revenue systems for each of the approximately five titles that we are aiming to release by the end of March 2017.
This one just strikes me as kind of an odd statement. Like, free 2 play games are frequently big earners up front and many months of a successful mobile game would actually be a lot of revenue. Of course, Nintendo is a very large company, and free 2 play revenue is still usually a lot lower than say selling 10 million copies of Smash Bros in a quarter, so this statement could be an artifact of that.

I'm curious to see what they mean about different revenue systems for each of the five products.

While we have not changed our policy of wanting to grow our smart device business into one of the pillars for revenue, the dedicated video game system business remains to be the core of Nintendo&#8217;s business, and we do not expect our smart device business to immediately constitute half of our revenue.
I don't think people were really expecting otherwise. Almost every traditional publisher has taken at least three years to really ramp mobile into a huge a business for themselves, assuming they succeeded.

It is good to see they feel that mobile games should be large revenue drivers and the end of that statement implies they could see a future where mobile games actually do represent half their earnings.

I believe Nintendo has shown results with its core dedicated game business by flexibly deciding how to allocate its limited human and other resources, but we are also always challenging ourselves with projects that have the potential to become the next big thing. And now, we see that our smart device business has the potential to become this next big thing.
Investing in new opportunities is always smart, and it's good they see mobile as part of that equation, since I think everyone agrees there's at least a conceptual space where there are major hit Nintendo games on mobile. Of course, actually finding those ideas and executing on them well is much more difficult. You're not going to have any chance at this success without trying though.

Upon releasing an application, we believe it is necessary to communicate about the application at least about two months before its release in one way or another.
This is a pretty common marketing time frame for a Japanese mobile producer these days, but it does mean we'll be getting a healthy heads up on Nintendo mobile apps instead of just "Available Now!!!" That's something that was not actually entirely clear before hand.

As for the impact on our financial performance for the fiscal year ending March 2016, as we previously confirmed when the initial forecast was released (in May this year), we were not expecting a large impact if the application were to be released in December, since it is a free-to-start type application. Therefore, we expect the impact to be minimal due to rescheduling the release timing of our first application to March 2016.
I commented on a similar comment above. I probably should have removed this one from the list or grouped it up there, but I just wanted to make a note since I said I'd address every point.

For example, this is one of the objectives of deploying our IP on smart devices but it includes our attempt to increase the awareness of Nintendo by delivering our messages to people whom we have not been able to communicate with when deploying our IP on dedicated game systems.
They do seem to correctly recognize that their IPs are no longer reaching people nearly as much as they used to given the state of the Wii U and 3DS along with how dormant their licensing business had been until recently. Creative IP is only as valuable as the amount and type of people who like it.

Other than creating new IP, we believe that one of the challenges of developing and expanding character IP is how we can popularize existing IP such as Mario and Link even more among young consumers. Thus, as Mr. Miyamoto mentioned previously, we would like to actively consider measures such as using smart devices and utilizing Nintendo 3DS even more.
Again, I think this is smart. I suspect the demographics for the Wii U skew heavily toward long term Nintendo fans instead of heavily toward younger or expanded audiences.

Children really, really, really love smart devices, and it's the best way to reach them at as early an age as possible. I think they also realize here that expensive consoles are harder to reach children on and thus a legacy system like the 3DS (or maybe even the Nintendo NX handheld after some price drops) will be their best bet of ensuring the continued existence of their healthy children's business.

--

Overall I think their presentation about mobile showed a good understanding of the multitude of potential benefits mobile has to offer their business, but a much shakier ground for their actual strategy of going after it. This is their first attempt at making games like this however, and they don't seem too interested in leveraging DeNA for their actual game design in that regard, so I'm expecting a slow moving train as they spend a lot of time getting their head around the market and what does and doesn't work.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
This strikes me as slightly counterproductive. Sonic Dash at 150 million downloads is a great way to advertise the Sonic brand, and then that brand is offered to people in as many ways as possible (dedicated device games, more mobile games, tv shows, merchandizing, etc). A paid game would often struggle to pass 1 million copies, which is obviously endlessly worse at extended brand reach. Now, obviously Sonic Dash has some light monetization that makes money, but not a tremendous amount, and I would think that'd be the best option for Nintendo to reach audiences if their primary goal is promotional. Instead, it sounds like they want to take the method of Hitman Go, which is kind of an oddity meant to appeal to people who play both console games and mobile games already, and introduce the brand to them in a way they might like. That's a way more specific audience than I feel Nintendo should be going for however.

Also, I think as long as you view a mobile title as a gateway to another product, you're doing a disservice to the product itself. Sonic Dash is actually treated as a core product of the series, gets frequent big updates, and even a sequel. They even do cross-over promotions with it, have a studio dedicated to Sonic mobile titles, and followed up with more Sonic games to engage with that audience.

Sonic Dash has 150 million downloads and yet every single Sonic title released afterwards a console/handheld has been a complete flop right (true the quality was terrible and were on Wii U/3DS...)? The TV show has done ok? Not sure about the merchandising. I think the Dash has little if any effect at all yet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sonic Dash has 150 million downloads and yet every single Sonic title released afterwards a console/handheld has been a complete flop right (true the quality was terrible and were on Wii U/3DS...)? The TV show has done ok? Not sure about the merchandising. I think the Dash has little if any effect at all yet.
Yeah, no one is going to pay $250 + $60 to buy a horribad game when they have a better one on their phone.

They've been quite happy with the TV show and merchandizing though which is why we're still getting all this Sonic Boom stuff.

Some examples:

Former SEGA America producer Stephen Frost has called Sonic Boom a &#8220;huge success&#8221;, thanks to the project&#8217;s cartoon and toy licensing initiatives.

In an audio interview with SEGA Nerds, the producer &#8211; who has been at the forefront of all Sonic Boom-related developments, from the video games to the cartoon and merchandising efforts &#8211; said that the animated show in particular helped broaden the audience for Sonic the Hedgehog in the US. This also encouraged an explosion of toy sales, which Frost added initially sold out in 24 hours.

&#8220;I think from that standpoint it was a success. The audience for the cartoon is [healthy], the toys are selling really well. I remember hearing reports that in the early days, Sonic Boom toys at Toys R Us were selling out in 24 hours &#8211; that wasn&#8217;t just [sales] from fans, it was from people who were looking for something new.&#8221;

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2015/03/stephen-frost-on-sonic-boom/

According to the show's PR firm, Sonic Boom has seen double- and triple-digit gains with key demographics since it began airing 8th November on Cartoon Network. It also claims the #1 spot in its time slot for the demo groups of boys 6-11, boys 9-14, and kids 9-14. It should be noted that this time slot is Saturday at 7 a.m. Eastern Time, when two 11-minute episodes are aired back to back. That's not exactly prime time, but it's nice to know the Saturday morning cartoon vibe is still being kept alive.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/12/sonic_boom_is_doing_pretty_well

Which was still holding true as of:

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. &#8211; June 9th, 2015 &#8211; SEGA® of America Inc. announced today that its iconic &#8216;blue blur,&#8217; Sonic the Hedgehog, will be racing once again in Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice for Nintendo 3DS. The newest title will build off of the highly successful animated series on Cartoon Network, currently the #1 program on all TV among boys 6-11 and 9-14 in its time period, and serve as the latest chapter in the Sonic Boom&#8482; franchise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1059651

And from the Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom press release:

San Francisco, London, 8th October 2015 - SEGA® is happy to confirm that today Sonic is back in Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom&#8482;, the sequel to the mobile success Sonic Dash&#8482;, which has been downloaded over 140 million times.

The launch of Sonic Dash 2: Sonic Boom continues the franchise&#8217;s momentum led by a #1 animated series for kids, all boys, and all girls in its timeslot on Boomerang in the UK. It is also the strongest show on Canal J in France, Cartoon Network Australia and Malaysia and the number one show Cartoon Network in the U.S. The series will launch in more than 70 countries in 2016, furthering exposure for the franchise and building affinity with consumers.The Sonic merchandising program has also surged at retail led by master toy partner TOMY and with more than 150 partners across a range of key categories.

http://pressreleases.triplepointpr....boom-now-available-on-a-device-very-near-you/

Things like widely distributed mobile games help keep that brand awareness up, especially among wider audiences. Given the age range of the people watching the show, they clearly weren't playing Sonic on the Genesis or even necessarily the Wii.

Just look at how much Rovio sold off of Angry Birds. It slowed down later due to them having less success and not getting into other kinds of longer term merchandizing fast enough (see cartoons and cartoon films especially, so kids get attached to the characters).

Well, PS3 wasn't an astonishing success in Japan and sales declined a lot with respect to PS2 - software sales dropped even harder. That said, we should look PS3 average baseline, and how much more than 40k sold during those weeks. PS3 had some nice holidays sales that at the moment PS4 will hardly reach. Also, PS3 had against a still active PS2 at the beginning and a huge PSP which took away a lot of fan base - PS4 is selling worse in an environment with much less competition from Sony itself.

what you say it's right (amazing that i can agree with you) and i would like to add PS3 in the beginning had to compete to the astonishing Wii, if we take a closed look to PS3 sales we will notice that they took off when Wii sales started to get low (2009 plus slim release)

but 10 years ago the market was different compared to now, as 10 years ago was different than 15 years ago (PS2 era)
home market has shrinked from the beginning of XXI century, this is a statement everyone knows here and admitted in the past.

and as I said even PS3 during its best time just sold 40k weekly a dozen on times, so I think it's absurd to pretend that PS4, considering the above reasons, could sell 40k weekly on a regular basis or more pointless comparing handhelds with homes ("if 3DS managed 40k weekly PS4 can do the same").

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well I honestly think most of the discussion about "console/handheld sales" isn't based on how much each console sold in Japan yearly. Let me help here.

Portables & Home Consoles 6th / 7th / 8th Gen Yearly Performances (Famitsu):

Code:
By yearly sales:
1. DS (2006) 8,862,969
---------------------------------------------- 150K a week (7,800,000)
2. DS (2007) 7,143,702
3. 3DS (2012) 5,626,763
---------------------------------------------- 100K a week (5,200,000)
4. 3DS (2013) 4,931,509
5. GBA (2001) 4,200,311
6. 3DS (2011) 4,135,739 (launch / 44 weeks of data)
7. DS (2008) 4,029,804
8. DS (2009) 4,025,313
9. DS (2005) 4,002,871
----------------------------------------------- 75K a week (3,900,000)
10. PS2 (2000) 3,748,200
11. WII (2007) 3,629,361
12. GBA (2003) 3,613,259
13. PS2 (2002) 3,652,800
14. PS2 (2001) 3,603,700
15. PSP (2008) 3,543,171
16. GBA (2002) 3,366,723
17. 3DS (2014) 3.153.045 
------------------------------------------------ 60K a week (3,120,000)
18. PSP (2007) 3,022,659
19. DS (2010) 2,963,709
20. WII (2008) 2,908,342
21. PSP (2010) 2,890,476
22. PS2 (2003) 2,812,514
23. PS2 (2004) 2,750,776
----------------------------------------------- 50K a week (2,600,000)
24. GBA (2004) 2,574,987
25. PSP (2009) 2,307,971
26. PSP (2005) 2,225,799
27. PS2 (2005) 2,134,863
----------------------------------------------- 40K a week (2,080,000)
28. WII (2009) 1,975,178
29. PSP (2011) 1,960,177
30. PSP (2006) 1,946,911
31. WII (2010) 1,728,293
32. PS3 (2009) 1,727,041
---------------------------------------------- 30K a week (1,560,000)
33. PS3 (2010) 1,558,480
34. PS2 (2006) 1,547,866
35. PS3 (2011) 1,467,261
36. PS3 (2012) 1,327,185
---------------------------------------------- 25K a week (1,300,000)
37. GBA (2005) 1,255,011
38. PS3 (2007) 1,206,347
39. PSV (2013) 1,197,980
40. PSV (2014) 1.147.938
41. DS (2004) 1,095,930 (launch / 4 weeks of data)
------------------------------------------------ 20K a week (1,040,000)
42. GC (2003) 1,039,687
43. GC (2002) 1,034,484
44. PS3 (2008) 991,303
45. WII (2006) 989,118 (launch / 5 weeks of data)
46. PSP (2012) 941,992
47. WII (2011) 937,451
48. PS4 (2014) 925.570 (launch / 44 weeks of data?)
49. GC (2001) 925,924
50. WIU (2013) 880,088
51. PS3 (2013) 824,167
52. PS2 (2007) 816,419
------------------------------------------------- 15K a week (780,000)
53. DS (2011) 711,204
54. PSV (2012) 674,365
55. WIU (2012) 638,339 (launch / 4 weeks of data)
56. GC (2004) 608,163
57. WIU (2014) 604.856 
------------------------------------------------ 10K a week (520,000)
58. WII (2012) 492,999
59. PS2 (2008) 480,664
60. PS3 (2006) 466,716 (launch / 8 weeks of data)
61. PS3 (2014) 450.034 
62. GBA (2006) 433,336
63. PSP (2013) 429,393
64. PSV (2011) 402,794 (launch / 2 weeks of data)
65. PSP (2004) 339,944 (launch / 3 weeks of data)
66. 360 (2009) 331,706
67. 360 (2008) 317,859
68. GC (2005) 305,000
------------------------------------------------- 5K a week (260,000)
69. 360 (2007) 257,841
70. PS2 (2009) 256,131
71. 360 (2010) 208,790
72. 360 (2006) 208,697
73. 360 (2011) 114,075
74. PS2 (2010) ~90,000
75. GC (2006) 89,775
76. 360 (2005) 81,770 (launch / 3 weeks of data)
77. WII (2013) 77,337
78. GBA (2007) 74,089
79. 360 (2012) 67,273
80. XB1 (2014) 45.958 
81. DS (2012) 28,627
82. 360 (2013) 19,548

Code:
Home Consoles 6th / 7th / 8th Gen Yearly Performances (Famitsu):

By yearly sales:

----------------------------------------------- 75K a week (3,900,000)
1. PS2 (2000) 3,748,200
2. WII (2007) 3,629,361
3. PS2 (2002) 3,652,800
4. PS2 (2001) 3,603,700
------------------------------------------------ 60K a week (3,120,000)
5. WII (2008) 2,908,342
6. PS2 (2003) 2,812,514
7. PS2 (2004) 2,750,776
----------------------------------------------- 50K a week (2,600,000)
8. PS2 (2005) 2,134,863
----------------------------------------------- 40K a week (2,080,000)
9. WII (2009) 1,975,178
10. WII (2010) 1,728,293
11. PS3 (2009) 1,727,041
---------------------------------------------- 30K a week (1,560,000)
12. PS3 (2010) 1,558,480
13. PS2 (2006) 1,547,866
14. PS3 (2011) 1,467,261
15. PS3 (2012) 1,327,185
------------------------------------------------ 25K a week (1,300,000)
16. PS3 (2007) 1,206,347
------------------------------------------------ 20K a week (1,040,000)
17. GC (2003) 1,039,687
18. GC (2002) 1,034,484
19. PS3 (2008) 991,303
20. WII (2006) 989,118 (launch / 5 weeks of data)
21. WII (2011) 937,451
22. GC (2001) 925,924
23. PS4 (2014) 925.570 
24. WIU (2013) 880,088
25. PS3 (2013) 824,167
26. PS2 (2007) 816,419
------------------------------------------------- 15K a week (780,000)
27. WIU (2012) 638,339 (launch / 4 weeks of data)
28. GC (2004) 608,163
29. WIU (2014) 604.856 
------------------------------------------------ 10K a week (520,000)
30. WII (2012) 492,999
31. PS2 (2008) 480,664
32. PS3 (2006) 466,716 (launch / 8 weeks of data)
33. 360 (2009) 331,706
34. 360 (2008) 317,859
35. GC (2005) 305,000
------------------------------------------------- 5K a week (260,000)
36. 360 (2007) 257,841
37. PS2 (2009) 256,131
38. 360 (2010) 208,790
39. 360 (2006) 208,697
40. 360 (2011) 114,075
41. PS2 (2010) ~90,000
42. GC (2006) 89,775
43. 360 (2005) 81,770 (launch / 3 weeks of data)
44. WII (2013) 77,337
45. 360 (2012) 67,273
46. XB1 (2014) 45.958 
47. 360 (2013) 19,548

Just look at how much Rovio sold off of Angry Birds. It slowed down later due to them having less success and not getting into other kinds of longer term merchandising fast enough (see cartoons and cartoon films especially, so kids get attached to the characters).

Yeh I knew about Angry Birds. Good to see Sonic do well, but at the same time, how much of that is really Sonic Dash's contribution? We saw how Youkai Watch's show was the catalyst for that franchise. I realize it's hard to tell though, but cool. I guess it's making an ecosystem, just like YW did. It's why Nintendo's starting to branch out again (the Symphonies have been pretty successful based on Zelda going for 3 years now and Pokemon starting), Activision is doing the TV studio, etc. It makes sense. I just think mobile's power to fuel sales is overestimated sometimes.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Well I honestly think most of the discussion about "console/handheld sales" isn't based on how much each console sold in Japan yearly. Let me help here.

Portables & Home Consoles 6th / 7th / 8th Gen Yearly Performances (Famitsu):

Code:
1. DS (2006) 8,862,969

This is crazy lol.

&#332;kami;184707110 said:
1. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 342 pts
2. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 82 pts
5. [WIU] Splatoon - 27pts
12. [WIU] Super Mario Maker - 13pts

Wonder if this is finally the week of Splatoon > Mario Maker.

...If not, will be definitively the week after that.

61hQuck13gL._SL160_SL160_.jpg

And DAT COD. :O

Ōkami

1. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 342 pts
    [*][PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 82 pts
    [*][3DS] Disney Magic Castle My Happy Life 2 - 74pts
  2. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection - 52pts
  3. [WIU] Splatoon - 27pts
  4. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes - 26pts
  5. [PSV] To Love-Ru Trouble Darkness: True Princess (First Print Limited Edition) - 22pts
    [*][PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Limited Edition) - 22pts
    [*][PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force - 20pts
  6. [PSV] Yomawari - 18pts
  7. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 15pts
  8. [WIU] Super Mario Maker - 13pts
  9. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team - 12pts
  10. [PS4] God Eater: Resurrection - 11pts
  11. [3DS] Famista Returns - 11pts
  12. [PSV] To Love-Ru Trouble Darkness: True Princess (Limited Edition) - 10pts
  13. [3DS] 7th Dragon III: Code VFD - 10pts
  14. [3DS] Picross 3D 2 - 10pts
  15. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 10pts
  16. [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon - 9pts

DrWong

I don't think Sega and Nintendo have the same ambitions regarding mobile and taking into account brand recognition, ressources and development skills, I can understand why they're not interested by the easy route (i.e Mario Runner). And Mario is not Sonic sales wise. As usual with Nintendo, we'll have to wait how they execute and what kind of real mobile games they'll release.

I don't think Sega and Nintendo have the same ambitions regarding mobile and taking into account brand recognition, ressources and development skills, I can understand why they're not interested by the easy route (i.e Mario Runner). And Mario is not Sonic sales wise. As usual with Nintendo, we'll have to wait how they execute and what kind of real mobile games they'll release.

I dont think Nintendo cares about Mobile and i think it really irritates them that they've been forced into that market.

I think the DeNA partnership is just there to keep investors off their backs while they prepare for the projects that they actually care about (NX).

Eolz

It's not entirely true. Sure, it's partly to keep investors off their back, but they know they also need to do that to keep their brand as relevant as before.
It's just that in true Nintendo fashion, it's not a matter of "easy" or not (there's no "easy" in game development and businesses), nor even a matter of being different. As they've said countless times in investors meetings, why not try pushing the envelope further there as well. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. It was never supposed to be their main focus, but nor was it supposed to be "just for fun". They're doing this seriously, just not the way people expected/wanted it to be.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Week 45, 2015 (Nov 2 - Nov 8)

01./00. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2: My Happy Life
02./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III
03./00. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
04./00. [PSV] To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - True Princess
05./04. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1!
06./01. [PSV] God Eater Resurrection
07./05. [WiiU] Splatoon
08./02. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes
09./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III
10./08. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
11./07. [3DS] Picross 3D 2
12./00. [PS4] NBA 2K16
13./00. [PSV] Teikoku Kaigun Renbojou: Meiji Yokosuka Koushinkyoku
14./00. [3DS] Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
15./00. [PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
16./00. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V
17./09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad
18./06. [PS4] God Eater Resurrection
19./10. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker
20./00. [PS4] NBA 2K16

*Splatoon Amiibo ranked between the second and the third place. We can expect around 20,000 units sold of that SKU across Japan.

Which was still holding true as of:

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – June 9th, 2015 – SEGA® of America Inc. announced today that its iconic ‘blue blur,’ Sonic the Hedgehog, will be racing once again in Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice for Nintendo 3DS. The newest title will build off of the highly successful animated series on Cartoon Network, currently the #1 program on all TV among boys 6-11 and 9-14 in its time period, and serve as the latest chapter in the Sonic Boom™ franchise.

Is Fire & Ice meant to coincide with anything? Considering its similarities with Shattered Crystal, a game that didn't do well critically and commercially, it would have to release next to something big to have a chance at being more successful.

Scum

I dont think Nintendo cares about Mobile and i think it really irritates them that they've been forced into that market.

I think the DeNA partnership is just there to keep investors off their backs while they prepare for the projects that they actually care about (NX).
I don't agree with this one bit. If anything, QoL seems more like an excuse for the investors than mobile gaming.

Amiibos outselling games.

lol

I don't like the DLC attached to the Amiibo lark (even though I'm part of the problem) but it's a shame that it took NCL so long to make these. Either way, kudos to them.

Sterok

Uh, Dream Team? Is that right? I know Paper Jam coming out soon probably means that DT is getting some sort of price cut and/or promotion, but still.

07./05. [WiiU] Splatoon

*Splatoon Amiibo ranked between the second and the third place. We can expect around 20,000 units sold of that SKU across Japan.
im not really familiar with the Rakuten stores nor how reliable this has proven to be in terms of matching Media Create, Famitsu or Degenki.

im quoting because i find it interesting to see Dream Team there. Was there a clearance sale or is it an effect of the next Paper/Team Mario coming up?

And 3rd place no less in a week with somewhat significant releases.

Edit: Sterok post wasn't there when i was typing XD

Celine

4. 3DS (2013) 4,931,509
I remember there was a gaffer who was convinced 2013 was a bad year for 3DS in Japanjust because it sold less than the year before.
When a guy is clueless ...

Mory Dunz

07./05. [WiiU] Splatoon
11./07. [3DS] Picross 3D 2
12./00. [PS4] NBA 2K16
13./00. [PSV] Teikoku Kaigun Renbojou: Meiji Yokosuka Koushinkyoku
14./00. [3DS] Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
15./00. [PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
16./00. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V
17./09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad
18./06. [PS4] God Eater Resurrection
19./10. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker
20./00. [PS4] NBA 2K16

I thought that was the new M&L at first and was like what?
I've never bought an old game because a new sequel was coming out soon, but apprently that happens a lot.

horuhe

Uh, Dream Team? Is that right? I know Paper Jam coming out soon probably means that DT is getting some sort of price cut and/or promotion, but still.
Yes, that's right. Dream Team actually, is at 1,296yen since this week.
http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/12348419/
im not really familiar with the Rakuten stores nor how reliable this has proven to be in terms of matching Media Create, Famitsu or Degenki.

im quoting because i find it interesting to see Dream Team there. Was there a clearance sale or is it an effect of the next Paper/Team Mario coming up?

And 3rd place no less in a week with somewhat significant releases.

Edit: Sterok post wasn't there when i was typing XD
Well, talking about reliability of Rakuten, at least, is a better metric than Amazon, in my opinion. Lots of stores sell their products on there Joshin, Bic Camera (the most important), Sofmap, Edion, even Amiami. But the rank I post is Rakuten-only based, so it is biased toward everything Rakuten does.
I thought that was the new M&L at first and was like what?
I've never bought an old game because a new sequel was coming out soon, but apprently that happens a lot.
It's, as I said to Sterok, a pricecut at Rakuten.

Darius

Banned
no, i don't defeat, i just stop cause keep discussing with people like you it's just a waste of time

It would be great if you actually did that, but as of now you jump on any factual data from anyone, that doesn´t fit your view about the "great performing PSV", and quite frankly that´s really annoying, since the responses often end up to be just baseless defensive drivel and accusations without any relevant data. At the very least you are starting to move from PSV to PS4.Since the trajectory got far too obvious. lol

saichi

I wonder how many times a home system sold 150k in the latest 5 years (launch week excluded obviously)

130k is not 150k :)

answer : PS3 on Dec.2009 (245k)

PS3 sold more than 40k :
2007 - 10 times
2008 - 3 times
2009 - 12 times
2010 - 9 times
2011 - 7 times

PS4 sold more than 40k :
2015 - 5 times (estimate : 10 times including Dec. and one week in Nov.)(optimistic)

even PS3 which sold 10mln units barely sold 40k weekly and this should be the standard for PS4 for not being called a failure

well, nothing to add, numbers are worth than a thousand words :)

Does Wii count as a handheld?

Ōkami

Did Square Enix ever did such a large advertisement campaign for Call of Duty?

Sony is doing a good job, wonder why Microsoft even bothered with localization.

It would be great if you actually did that, but as of now you jump on any factual data from anyone, that doesn´t fit your view about the "great performing PSV", and quite frankly that´s really annoying, since the responses often end up to be just baseless defensive drivel and accusations without any relevant data. At the very least you are starting to move from PSV to PS4.Since the trajectory got far too obvious. lol

at least i made you laugh, your comments are always annoying and don't vary from "vita is doomed" to "PS4 isn't selling good" to "let's praise all together the mighty 3DS King of sales and dominant system"

as i said discussing with you it's just a waste of time

sense

at least i made you laugh, your comments are always annoying and don't vary from "vita is doomed" to "PS4 isn't selling good" to "let's praise all together the mighty 3DS King of sales and dominant system"

i like to read his comments for a good laugh because he always manages to put a negative spin on anything playstation.

WOAH, MHX just went up by 49pts today at COMG! It's been higher and higher over the last few days, what did Capcom do just now to get these numbers?

Here's the previous week for perspective (+points from previous day):

Nov 8th - 1931pt (+49)
Nov 7th - 1882pt (+30)
Nov 6th - 1852pt (+24)
Nov 5th - 1828pt (+17)
Nov 4th - 1811pt (+23)
Nov 3rd - 1788pt (+26)
Nov 2nd - 1762pt

The Wii in 2010 still outsold the best year of the PS3 lol. So no, it wasn't "quiet" in 2009 or even 2010 lol.

ok but excluding winter holiday weeks or price dropw, i don't know how many times a home system sold 150k weekly, that's an insane amount even for nintendo handhelds

StormKing

PS4 and Vita hardware sales are mediocre. The 3DS sold more than both systems combined last year. Last year was also the 3DS worst year in terms of hardware sales so far. That is what is considered good sales.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
ok but excluding winter holiday weeks or price drops, i don't know how many times a home system sold 150k weekly, that's an insane amount even for nintendo handhelds

So... I guess why did you ask the question lol? That's a lot of exclusions too, for what you already think is an insane #.

Not including holidays, MH4 did it for 3DS, but that's a handheld.
3DS # | 276.792 | 79.191 | 60.903 | 2.813.463 | 3.120.009 | 12.593.343

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
For a handheld.

How about a console?

In this and age? I'd love to see a console get above 1.5M for once. Looks like the PS4 will likely FINALLY hit 1M for a year this year, which is a sad first for this gen (the GC did that 2 years despite being a failure). I'd say 1.5 - 2.5M is fairlly healthy for a year, but I doubt we'll get anywhere close.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's happening slowly but I feel like Japanese gaming market is getting westernized to some extent.

Not only on dedicated devices either.

Pulling from the current top 100 grossing mobile charts on iOS in Japan:

8. Game of War: Fire Age
19. Clash of Clans
28. Clash of Kings
45. Candy Crush Soda Saga
47. Hearthstone
63. Paradise Bay
69. Candy Crush Saga
71. Hay Day
96. Minecraft

These days Activision is a better mobile publisher in Japan than half the traditional publishers.

Top Bottom