• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2015 (Oct 26 - Nov 1)

Well 3DS got pretty massive price cut during its first year and it also started to get first heavy hitters pretty soon in its life. When the sales start with the bang it's also natural that they drop far earlier as you start to run out of potential consumers faster (of course all is relative. 3DS is going to sell more this year than PS3 did during its peak year). Next year during this time 3DS has probably passed PS2 as a third best selling console of all time in Japan.

For example here is how PS3 did during same timeframe as 3DS

PS3 (2006) 466,716 (only one quarter)
PS3 (2007) 1,206,347
PS3 (2008) 991,303
PS3 (2009) 1,727,041
PS3 (2010) 1,558,480
PS3 (2011) 1,467,261

Pretty different behavior with relatively far smaller drops.

and after that:

PS3 (2012) 1,327,185
PS3 (2013) 824,167

When you consider PS4 as a gaming console I don't see why it couldn't follow same kind of path as PS3 as it has pretty much same kind of appeal as PS3 and is expensive home console (launch aligned it's 35k yen vs 40k yen). Next year could be the peak and after that still selling decently for some years.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think people were doubting it would go up, just the extent to which it would go up.

Like what do you expect it to sell next year?

If we're talking about a 200K variance between your projections I don't consider that to actually be meaningful.

I don't think people were doubting it would go up, just the extent to which it would go up.

Like what do you expect it to sell next year?

If we're talking about a 200K variance between your projections I don't consider that to actually be meaningful.

Well in the bigger picture it definitely isn't that meaningful. It still can be fun to have conversations about that 200k difference lol.

saichi

We should have realistic expectation on PS4 weekly number (20K is good!) because the market has changed. At the same time, since PS4 has the same appeal as PS3, it will follow the same sales pattern regardless the market is changed.

jeremy1456

We should have realistic expectation on PS4 weekly number (20K is good!) because the market has changed. At the same time, since PS4 has the same appeal as PS3, it will follow the same sales pattern regardless the market is changed.

So basically you're saying...

"The market has changed so we can't expect the PS4 to perform like past consoles."

and then...

"The PS4 will perform like past consoles regardless of the market changing."

xehanort

So basically you're saying...

"The market has changed so we can't expect the PS4 to perform like past consoles."

and then...

"The PS4 will perform like past consoles regardless of the market changing."

I believe he is saying that ...

"The PS4 will follow a tragectory similar past consoles regardless of the market changing"

Darius

Banned
GE fanbase is already on PSV; why should the hardware increase?

Based on what? Actual numbers imply that there may still be a good amount of fans that haven´t moved to PSV yet.

GE PSP sold 620k
enhanced verion
GERB PSP sold 420k

GE2 PSV 450k
GE2 PSP 210k
and enhanced version
GE2RB PSV 310k

crinale

The ratio of COD would be hideous between PS4 & XB1 but I guess that really means XB1 copies went beyond bombing.
(The guy says CoD: AW's ratio between Playstation & XB was already bad enough (30:1) so XB1 owners should accept the Overwatch thing that they're complaining these days, and BO3's ratio is even worse).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The ratio of COD would be hideous between PS4 & XB1 but I guess that really means XB1 copies went beyond bombing.
(The guy says CoD: AW's ratio between Playstation & XB was already bad enough (30:1) so XB1 owners should accept the Overwatch thing that they're complaining these days, and BO3's ratio is even worse).

There are hidden letters after the image but I don't understand what they could mean.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Isn't the XBO basically discontinued at this point in Japan? I mean why should retail outlets stock up and give it floorspace if it only sells like 1 console unit a month (if even that).

crinale

There are hidden letters after the picture but I don't understand what they could mean.

That part mentions about the worse ratio of BO3 compared to AW.

Well this is beyond obvious for many ppl but recently when Overwatch was announced PS4 only in Japan there has been a small disputes among gamers that Western devs are being "unfair" to skip Japanese XB1 market.. (duh). I guess that's why he had to point out the reality as the shopkeeper.

Isn't the XBO basically discontinued at this point in Japan? I mean why should retail outlets stock up and give it floorspace if it only sells like 1 console unit a month (if even that).

Yeah that's basically what the guy is saying.

Based on what? Actual numbers imply that there may still be a good amount of fans that haven´t moved to PSV yet.

GE PSP sold 620k
enhanced verion
GERB PSP sold 420k

GE2 PSV 450k
GE2 PSP 210k
and enhanced version
GE2RB PSV 310k

Firstly, if a GE fan had to move to PSV, he or she would have done it with GE2 instead of GE:R, being the latter a remake of the first entry. Secondly, I'm pretty sure the current market environment signals that GE will not be able to retain 100% of the fanbase created on PSP - and someone will be lost in the process. After all, PSV is vastly less popular platform then PSP, and a drop in fanbase is to be expected.

allan-bh

That part mentions about the worse ratio of BO3 compared to AW.

Well this is beyond obvious for many ppl but recently when Overwatch was announced PS4 only in Japan there has been small disputes among gamers that Western devs are being unfair to skip Japanese XB1 market.. (duh). I guess that's why he had to point out the reality as the shopkeeper.

Apparently these people doesn't see sales numbers.

If this is meant to be sarcastic post I don't get it. PS4 can have same kind of sales pattern as PS3 across its life with just lower yearly averages.

L~A

Don't expect me to make the new thread tonight, I'll be very busy.

Same for me. I haven't changed my schedule since time change. I can take over the threads again from next week.

Does that mean you'd have time to do it at the "usual" time (1h later)? If yes, might be better to simply use this thread to discuss new numbers while we wait for your new thread. Maybe a mod could add a notice in the OP/title to warn people.

L~A

That's weird... Well hopefully it will be more like Z than SMB Edition. Overworld and actual story this time, instead of a mere reskin.

Darius

Banned
Firstly, if a GE fan had to move to PSV, he or she would have done it with GE2 instead of GE:R, being the latter a remake of the first entry. Secondly, I'm pretty sure the current market environment signals that GE will not be able to retain 100% of the fanbase created on PSP - and someone will be lost in the process. After all, PSV is vastly less popular platform then PSP, and a drop in fanbase is to be expected.

No doubt the complete package (PSV) isn´t compelling enough to the ones that haven´t bought one yet, but obviously there have been over 200k GE fans that were just fine with the PSP version of GE2 instead, and don´t seem to have moved to PSV yet. At least that´s what the sales indicate. One of the possible reasons is that it was a part of the fanbase that might be GE fans but just prefer MH even more and chose accordingly. But nonetheless there is still a sizeable part of the GE fanbase missing.

L~A

Media Create:

PS4 33,442
New3DS LL 18,496
Vita 13,085
New3DS 10,448
Wii U 9,935
PS3 1,716
3DS 965
Xbox One 825
Vita TV 723
3DS LL 474

BO3 PS4: 143k (21k on PS3)
Disney: 73k

Nice debut for Disney Magic Castle - and nice hw boost after all.

Famista Returns and Picross 3D 2 showing some legs - as well as YW Busters.

Pokémon SMD super-dead (it dropped below 3k units).

Maniel

Banned
Nice bumps for ps4 and 3ds. Why did 3ds get a bump tho? Btw congrats to ps4 for passing 1 million YTD on media create

Also, in Famitsu, DQVIII surpassed the 850k mark retail - it should be around 890k units counting digital sales.

Nice bumps for ps4 and 3ds. Why did 3ds get a bump tho? Btw congrats to ps4 for passing 1 million YTD on media create

Disney Magic Castle bundle.

Well, Disney Magic Castle did better than I was expecting. Good job.

To Love Ru seems to have held on pretty damn well from the last game too, considering it's a pure VN now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ōkami;185038865 said:
I could make the new thread if you guys are ok with waiting an extra hour or so.

Let's see if I can make it in less than one hour :p

Orgen

Ōkami;185038865 said:
I could make the new thread if you guys are ok with waiting an extra hour or so.

If you can do it then go ahead! :D You can always update your post when Chris posts the info from M-C and Famitsu.

L~A

Nirolak, time to take Nintendo's mobile strategy out of your trash bin it seems. CEO of DeNA clarified that the first mobile games (ie: the 5 games announced) will all be "free to download".

All the smartphone games DeNA Co. is now developing with Nintendo Co. will be free to download, DeNA said, suggesting the joint project’s first few games will rely on revenue from in-app microtransactions.

“Games currently in the pipeline are all free to play,” said DeNA Chief Executive Isao Moriyasu said at an earnings briefing Wednesday. The smartphone-game and platform provider announced that April-September net profit was up 50% from a year earlier, to ¥16.2 billion ($132 million).

Source

Slides from the presentation:

CTgsCTsUYAA9VDI.jpg:orig

Source

crinale

Well as for Western titles it kinda follows the world wide trend (rather quick(er) next-gen adaptation).

Massive migration to PS4, comparing with Advanced Warfare last year.

Last year was like 64K for PS4 and 80K for PS3. People are migrating indeed.
(Still much slower than other countries though).

Kysen

Yep PS3 is done over there. Once battlefront comes out the few remaining hold outs of western games will jump ship.

Top Bottom