• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
the WiiU is a gimmick like the Wii.
Wii U does things that some people cherish, such as Off Tv and local multiplayer, on top of playing some damn good exclusives.

About the gimmick thing, I'd like you to comment on that. My two most played games on the platform this year are FIFA 13 and TW101, two titles that play like on any other console/controller (with additional control options).

crinale

Nintendo made quite a lot of profit on the Gamecube. Actually, if my memory serves me right they made more money that gen than Sony did with the PS2. Even though the PS2 sold many more units.

They did because of handhelds. And as for PS2 that's really BS.

Nintendo or Bamco should have released a game last week to have a smaller drop in sales or keep it at the same level. I'm not sure why Nintendo/Bamco are releasing SM3DW/Taiko on the same day.

True true, spacing their releases have been a large problem. Even if some of their titles won't increase hardware numbers they can potentially mitigate hard drops. Taiko is going to get massively overshadowed by 3D World.

Of course it will.

Hey crazier things have happened. Then again I just remembered that they're releasing a GE2 bundle as well so maybe you're right lol.

Jamix012

Yeah no it didn´t. Nintendo was barely in the plus during the gamecube era most of the time although they had a massively successful handheld with the GBA.

Let's not make shit up. From the info I got (granted it was one of the first results on a quick google search so it ma not be 100% accurate but find me something better first.) Nintendo was more profitable than Sony's gaming division in 2002 and 2004-2011

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, which will sell better in Japan: Super Mario 3D World or Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds?

Mario 3D world: Japan still likes Mario, but this is on Wii U

Zelda: ALBW: On the 3DS, but Japan doesn't particularly care for Zelda beyond 2-300K at best.

So much vitriol. Wow.

Wii U is more powerful than those old systems, and I'm so sick and tired of the word "gimmick" being tossed around as though it means "something bad for gaming".
Don't pay that any mind, things are only a "gimmick" when Nintendo does them. When competitors follow suit, it's "cool". Off screen play... yeah.

daxgame

Asked...

...and answered.

(I should elaborate. I was laughing at Frillen calling the 3DS healthy platform and then in the next breath, using missed / revised targets to call the Vita an unhealthy platform).

But the 3DS did meet the forecasts for Japan, I think?

sörine

Banned
Yeah no it didn´t. Nintendo was barely in the plus during the gamecube era most of the time although they had a massively successful handheld with the GBA.
Gamecube was profitable. We know this from IR reports and interviews with Nintendo staff. I'm also unsure where you've gotten the idea Nintendo was barely profitable during that generation? They made more money from 2000-2005 than PS2-era SCE did and they never posted a loss.

duckroll

So, which will sell better in Japan: Super Mario 3D World or Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds?

Zelda: ALBW: On the 3DS, but Japan doesn't particularly care for Zelda beyond 2-300K at best.

Are you kidding? OoT 3D sold like 500k. ST sold over 700k. PH sold over 900k. :p

This thread.
BBRRry7.gif

Scum

Zelda: ALBW > FFXIII LR > SM3DW

Wii U does things that some people cherish, such as Off Tv and local multiplayer, on top of playing some damn good exclusives.

About the gimmick thing, I'd like you to comment on that. My two most played games on the platform this year are FIFA 13 and TW101, two titles that play like on any other console/controller (with additional control options).
People do tend to like the off tv play, but the range is very limited and the tablet controller is expensive for Nintendo to make, preventing needed price cuts.
The PS4/vita combo might be more appealing in Japan (despite the cost) because the Vita can be taken outside and played separately. Plus it has games of its own.

Maybe. But Winning Eleven 2014 PS3 could be first as well.
I didn't even know about that game releasing next week... :/
what irony specifically?
You calling someone out for "picking" on Vita when you may as well put "Wii U" in the subject line of like 80% of your posts.
whitney-i-wanna-c-receipts.gif

if U did not expect the Wii U to drop U have not been following

still kinda sad... next bump during Mario 3D World I guess but Wii U cannot really do much when 3DS is the bread and butter

they wont give it a true Pokemon

Jamix012

They did because of handhelds. And as for PS2 that's really BS.

Actually no, Nintendo WAS more profitable than Sony during that gen. It's hard to say exactly what was pushing these numbers, but it's unlikely even with the juggernaught GBA that they'd have been able to pull them off if Gamecube was pushing them into the red.

L Thammy

I'm sorry but you don't send a gift to a girl your not interested in, even if the gift is cheap.

That's true, but I've bought Happy Meals for street kids. A PS3->Vita port and a carpet bomb port are not signs of interest.

Look at how Capcom and Square Enix they supported the PSP and then how they supported the Vita. For Capcom you can compare the Vita's first year of support with the 3DS. If you can't see the difference, you are a crazy person

Koei and Namco may be interested in the Vita, but certainly those two.

jmood88

So much vitriol. Wow.

That's hardly vitriol.

Wii U is more powerful than those old systems, and I'm so sick and tired of the word "gimmick" being tossed around as though it means "something bad for gaming".

We've seen nothing to suggest that it's more powerful than the 360 or ps3 and you can be sick and tired of it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that neither Nintendo nor the few third party developers making games for their system have absolutely no idea what to do with that controller. They put out an underpowered system and their major "innovation" is a controller that lacks the functionality of every other touchscreen device. There's nothing about the system that justifies it being called "a good piece of kit" that deserves good sales.

Scum

if U did not expect the Wii U to drop U have not been following

still kinda sad... next bump during Mario 3D World I guess but Wii U cannot really do much when 3DS is the bread and butter

they wont give it a true Pokemon

I'm not so sure about a "true Pokemon" akin the handheld series on the WiiU. But a fully fledged out Pokemon Stadium with online shenanigans will be a better idea. Now include the PokeBank into the equation...

Clearly a linear trend downwards. The Handheld Zelda 2 games after ALBW will sell -100k.
C'mon, man. Goalposts and all... OoT was a remake to the best selling Zelda game of all time and did pretty good for a game on a struggling 3DS. Phantom Hourglass REVERSED Zelda's downward trend. And Spirit Tracks performed in line with every *second* Zelda game (Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword) where there's a tapering off of the fanbase

We've seen nothing to suggest that it's more powerful than the 360 or ps3 and you can be sick and tired of it all you want, it doesn't change the fact that neither Nintendo nor the few third party developers making games for their system have absolutely no idea what to do with that controller. They put out an underpowered system and their major "innovation" is a controller that lacks the functionality of every other touchscreen device. There's nothing about the system that justifies it being called "a good piece of kit" that deserves good sales.
WiiU is certainly more powerful than the PS3/360 but there is no incentive for developers to use it. End result is shoddy ports.

ironic because they have a Dragon Quest Game in the first Quarter...+ Zelda

Heh, kind of embarrassing that I missed that. But even then, Terry's Wonderland and the original's bundle didn't push as many units as DQVII did and this is a sequel that's unlikely to attract a new audience, so the overall point about sales still stands. Especially for Zelda vs. Luigi.

Jamix012

C'mon, man. Goalposts and all... OoT was a remake to the best selling Zelda game of all time and did pretty good for a game on a struggling 3DS. Phantom Hourglass REVERSED Zelda's downward trend. And Spirit Tracks performed in line with every *second* Zelda game (Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword) where there's a tapering off of the fanbase

Sorry, I was kind of making a joke. Obviously the Zelda handheld game 2 games from now won't sell negative 100k. I'm still somewhat cautious about ALBW's potential in JP, but I'm willing to accept it could do well.

Madouu

Today's thread feels like someone suddenly unleashed the hounds from all sides, not much interesting dicussion apart from that.

For me, the Wii U dropping by this amount seemed pretty normal considering the numbers it has achieved last week. If anything it's still better than the disastrous situation it was in earlier, even if it's only by an infenitesimal amount. I can't find the post Aquamarine made about previous Wii U drops but this seems to be in the middle of them.

Battlefield 4 is a bit lower than BF3 opening I think, at least it's not showing growth which might be worrying for a franchise that's supposed to be growing in new markets for it like Japan.

I really like how Vita has been settling at around 20k units recently, GE2 couldn't have asked for a better context to launch in.

Finally, I think Bandai Namco has been doing pretty well this year.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
But the 3DS did meet the forecasts for Japan, I think?

Yes, somewhere in these threads were posted Nintendo's targets for Japan last year that were easily topped. I don't know if there is a seperate forecast this year but most likely Japan won't be the responsible territory for the upcoming 2013 shipment downgrade.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
The Wii U had quite a steep drop to be honest. Not what I was expecting.

The Wii U is a good console and has its merits; however, the longer Nintendo prolonged the software and the adequate support it deserved, the longer consumers can shape an opinion of the Wii U and make their mind of it. There is this ''stigma'' associated with the Wii U currently in many gamers mind, and I don't know if it will dissipate anytime soon.

It's a shame :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You calling someone out for "picking" on Vita when you may as well put "Wii U" in the subject line of like 80% of your posts.

It just gets a little bit weird when this week Vita pulls in okay stable baseline sales with no real big software to speak of, and people are still trying to kick it in the teeth for quite frankly very transparent transference. The ghost of Laguna is a powerful force in MC threads, and as the distasteful event of really good Vita sales next week crests the waves, his power over the weakened forces in this thread is fueled further still and at an all time high...

Welp, WiiU all the way back down. Vita should have a big bump next week of course. Also curious to see what Vita TV does.

..... How? Next week the 3DS is most likely going to be down YoY, and that gap is unlikely to shrink after it happens. And the downward trend only gets worse if you only look at the beginning of the fiscal year, sales from that quarter received a huge boost from Luigi and Dragon Quest. I doubt Nintendo has anything set for the coming quarter comparable to Dragon Quest in system selling potential.

Their goal is to sell 5m this year which they will. Their goal isn't to surpass 2012 which was easily one of the best years for any system anything in Japan ever.

EDarkness

Because you haven't learned to read. Try again, and start from the top this time.

You said... "Japan doesn't care for Zelda on consoles."

I don't see anything about numbers of handheld games sold or anything close to it in that comment. I was just asking a more general question for the heldheld side. In which case you responded with some rude comment.

We'll see how 3D World holds up. The preorder numbers look bad, but Mario is the kind of series that never sells impressively its first week, but remains in the top 10 for the next century. So we'll see if 3D World has those kinds of sales numbers.

Top Bottom