• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2015 (Nov 2 - Nov 8)

Ōkami

1. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 89pts
    [*][PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - 60pts
    [*][3DS] Project x Zone 2: Brave New World (Limited Edition) - 55pts
  2. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 44pts
    [*][3DS] Project x Zone 2: Brave New World - 38pts
    [*][PS4] Need for Speed - 28pts
  3. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection - 27pts
  4. [3DS] Disney Magical Castle 2 - 21pts
  5. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes - 19pts
  6. [WIU] Splatoon - 17pts
  7. [WIU] Super Mario Maker - 11pts
  8. [3DS] Famista Returns - 11pts
  9. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 9pts
  10. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team - 9pts
  11. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online - 8pts
  12. [3DS] Yokai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad- 8pts
  13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 7pts
  14. [PSV] Yomawari - 6pts
  15. [3DS] Picross 3D 2 - 6pts
  16. [3DS] Rhythm Heaven: The Best + - 6pts

Arzehn

Looks like CoD is holding very well in it's 2nd week. Project x Zone 2 sales look pretty poor.

At least on comgnet.

Grakl

Hi yall, I know I haven't contributed so I'm asking for a lot, but I'm wondering (for a paper I'm doing for school) when the big shopping weeks are in Japan for vidya. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Project X-Flop 2: Brave New Bomba on COMGnet.

CoD has a good hold.

Splatoon bundle doesn't seem to be doing all that amazing, we'll see.

hiska-kun

CoD has a good hold.

Splatoon bundle is not tracked at this Software chart. It won't be on Tsutaya's either.
Anyway, I'm just execting a 10k boost, for hardware and for Splatoon Software overall.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Week 46, 2015 (Nov 9 - Nov 15)

01./01. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2: My Happy Life
02./02. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III
03./00. [3DS] Project x Zone 2: Brave New World
04./07 [WiiU] Splatoon *
05./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
06./00. [PS4] Need for Speed
07./05. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1!
08./19. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker
09./08. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes
10./00. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team
11./11. [3DS] Picross 3D 2
12./06. [PSV] God Eater Resurrection
13./10. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
14./00. [3DS] Famista Returns
15./09. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III
16./00. [3DS] Kaite Oboeru: Dora-Gana
17./17. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad
18./04. [PSV] To Love Ru Trouble: Darkness - True Princess
19./00. [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
20./00. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V

*The Splatoon Wii U Bundle was the best selling console of the week, but there is not too much difference compared to PS4 sales. This is according to Rakuten Books, where there are Rakuten-only related sales. In the main site, the bundle sold by Bic Camera was far more popular. Splatoon amiibo also sold very well, and it's between the fifth and the sixth place, but they are not out of stock. So, the situation was stabilized, at least in terms of running out of stock from the first days.

In Shibuya TSUTAYA, they are pushing the last reservations. Two weeks only for the release of Monster Hunter X.
3ylu3Ae.jpg
In Bic Camera Hachioji, they got new stock for Splatoon amiibo, and are requesting people to buy them as soon as possible. Also, they are offering the combo with the Splatoon Wii U Bundle.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I predict 30-35k for Splatoon and 20-25k for Wii U This week.

What do You expect anyway?

EDIT: Also, wow at Wii U Over PS4 :O
Was expect, but i Hope This mean The Wii U bump was very good, and not that PS4 drop was bad.

Vena

So, DQH did ~31K in the US according to cream....

D5 did relatively well.

Zestiria and DQH did not. The Steam release (Niro can correct me if I am wrong as I cannot check at the moment, but it should be around a 30k difference) outsold the PS4 release pretty handily. Since its WW for Steam-Spy it will be hard to get just US numbers for the PC performance.

Going to be curious to see how the 3DS RPGs perform in the near future, but I have a suspicion that the jRPG market isn't on home consoles in the US.

heidern

Going to be curious to see how the 3DS RPGs perform in the near future, but I have a suspicion that the jRPG market isn't on home consoles in the US.

How many good Japanese games have been released in the US? The audience has been built on COD and co so not a surprise the audience leans towards western games.

casiopao

D5 did relatively well.

Zestiria and DQH did not. The Steam release (Niro can correct me if I am wrong as I cannot check at the moment, but it should be around a 30k difference) outsold the PS4 release pretty handily.

I dont really remember here but coreect me if I am wrong here. Dont nippon ichi hope that d5 to sell more on the west here? After the jp sales not doing that hot?

It is going to be interesting to see whether next year 3ds rpg is going to do much better vs jrpg release on ps4.

Bravely second, fe fates, dq7,8, shin megami tensei 4 final all had huge chances of doing really well.

CoD has a good hold.

PxZ real test is going to be the west. It sold most of its copies there.^~^

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bravely sold over 1 million worldwide and thus at least 600-700K in the West right? Whereas DQ9 was 1M in the West or something? I wouldn't put Bravely in the same category as SMT4 and PxZone though... Bravely Second is likely going to fall to those lows though thanks to SQEX T_T.

Nintendo did a stout job advertising BD:FF in the US. I saw one or two commercials for it each week for a month surrounding the launch.

Sterok

In the NPD thread I questioned whether or not we were sure DQ XI PS4 would outsell the 3DS version. It would be awkward if the 3DS version ended up doing better seeing how we thought the PS4 version existed for the west. From what I can tell the only thing we know is that the 3DS is the only system in the west that has an established audience for JRPGs, though FF XV will hopefully change that.

Project X Zone... is that falling into the same too safe sequel problem Bravely Second fell into that Fire Emblem If avoided?

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 46 2015

01./01. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
02./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate <ACT> (Ubisoft)
03./00. [3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)

04./02. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2: My Happy Life <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./04. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
06./03. [PSV] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
07./00. [PS4] Need for Speed <RCE> (Electronic Arts)
08./00. [3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World (Limited Edition) <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games)

09./06. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes <ADV> (Nintendo)
10./07. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
11./12. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
12./08. [WIU] Super Mario Maker <ETC> (Nintendo)
13./13. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
14./20. [3DS] Famista Returns <SPT> (Bandai Namco Games)
15./15. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
16./14. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami)
17./05. [PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force <RPG> (Compile Heart)
18./10. [PSV] Yomawari <ADV> (Nippon Ichi Software)
19./09. [PS4] God Eater: Resurrection <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
20./21. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami)

hiska-kun

Maybe this Call of Duty will have better legs that other subtitled versions, since their legs were cut off by the release of the dubbed version, that doesn't exist this time.

the only thing we can be sure is that the price will be higher than the last bundle (Splatoon), which was higher than the previous bundle (Mario Maker), which was higher than the previous bundle, which was higher than the previous bundle... and so on :D

True 8)

It's 22th. So yes, it's out of Top 20.

Rakuten seems very Nintenfo biased, and also the less accurate shop that we post here.

Project X Zone... is that falling into the same too safe sequel problem Bravely Second fell into that Fire Emblem If avoided?

PxZ was very ripetitive and probably also frontloaded, I remember some shops last year still trying to sell it into the "basket of the damned" and I still regret I didn't buy the limited edition (used, of course) 2 years ago for less than $10 -_-

so yes, it might have the same problems Bravely had (latest dungeons were so so iirc)

Hi yall, I know I haven't contributed so I'm asking for a lot, but I'm wondering (for a paper I'm doing for school) when the big shopping weeks are in Japan for vidya. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Golden Week is the biggest one, you see a lot of publishers structure game releases to coincide with it. Obon is also probably pretty important.

DQH's opening for NPD was in the same ballpark as some of the mainline DQ. Perhaps, SE's expectations are not lofty? I do think DQ11 can put up respectable numbers in the west (relative to the performance of past DQ titles) with the right promo and what not.

To give you an idea of how DQ4 + DQ5 + DQ6 sold in the West, here are opening month NPD figures:

DQ4 Opening Month (September 2008) - 34K

DQ5 Opening Month (February 2009) - 22K

DQ6 Opening Month (February 2011) - 46K

sörine

Banned
DQH's opening for NPD was in the same ballpark as some of the mainline DQ. Perhaps, SE's expectations are not lofty? I do think DQ11 can put up respectable numbers in the west (relative to the performance of past DQ titles) with the right promo and what not.
To keep perspective, DQIV/V DS were so bad SE dropped publishing the franchise right before IX. I don't think those Heroes numbers are what they'd consider fine.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Wow, the superior DQ(V) got lower sales than IV and VI. :/

Though how did the spinoffs do namely DQM, DQM2, DQJ, and DQJ2? Since I think that's where DQH should be compared coz it's also a spin-off.

Ōkami

One of the sites I follow posted this neat chart.

The pie shows the preorders software have on each platform (only on his store, not all of Japan) while the table or whatever shows the number of titles, now he makes it clear that he's not counting all upcoming games on the platform but only notable/ones that have some notable preroders, point and case, he says that the lone WiiU game there is Genei Ibunroku #FE.

Pretty sure that if you keep track of preorders on whatever site you know that the bulk of 3DS preorders is Monster Hunter X, which the guy makes pretty clear, as in if he were to make the chart a couple of weeks later there'd be a drastic change.

He also mentions the most preordered games on his story, which are.

[3DS] Monster Hunter X
[PS4] Fallout 4
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront
[PS4] Dragon Quest Builders
[PS4] Exist Archive
[3DS] Monster Hunter
[PSV] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Extreme VS Force
[PSV] Valkyrie Drive : Bhikkuni
[PSV] Chou Jigen Taisen Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls: Yume no Gattai Special
[PSV] Dragon Quest Builders

Note that that might not be the actual order, he just says "these are the top preorders" and then posts a bunch of images.

Dude also notes the performance of western games on PS4, namely Star Wars, Fallout and Rainbow Six.

Vena

Though how did the spinoffs do namely DQM, DQM2, DQJ, and DQJ2? Since I think that's where DQH should be compared coz it's also a spin-off.

Badly. Pirated into oblivion.

sörine

Banned

I don't have exact figures handy but I recall the GBC games selling well while the DS ones flopped (including Rocket Slime). DWI-III GBC also sold relatively well.

Swords might be an okay comparison. It was nominally an action rpg but really a railshooter, sort of like how Heroes is nominally an action rpg but really a Musou. Both also had dubbed audio and were on the leading home consoles of their day. Anyway Swords did 15k it's first npd.

&#332;kami;185636267 said:
One of the sites I follow posted this neat chart.

The pie shows the preorders software have on each platform (only on his store, not all of Japan) while the table or whatever shows the number of titles, now he makes it clear that he's not counting all upcoming games on the platform but only notable/ones that have some notable preroders, point and case, he says that the lone WiiU game there is Genei Ibunroku #FE.

Pretty sure that if you keep track of preorders on whatever site you know that the bulk of 3DS preorders is Monster Hunter X, which the guy makes pretty clear, as in if he were to make the chart a couple of weeks later there'd be a drastic change.

He also mentions the most preordered games on his story, which are.

[3DS] Monster Hunter X
[PS4] Fallout 4
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront
[PS4] Dragon Quest Builders
[PS4] Exist Archive
[3DS] Monster Hunter
[PSV] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Extreme VS Force
[PSV] Valkyrie Drive : Bhikkuni
[PSV] Chou Jigen Taisen Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls: Yume no Gattai Special
[PSV] Dragon Quest Builders

Note that that might not be the actual order, he just says "these are the top preorders" and then posts a bunch of images.

Dude also notes the performance of western games on PS4, namely Star Wars, Fallout and Rainbow Six.
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I am curious to see how Fallout 4 will sell compared to TW3. Fallout 4 is an RPG with a FPS/TPS mode that can be changed with the simple push of a button. I am confident it will do well enough in Japan.

As for the DQH and other sales figure, guys it is best to just discuss it in the NPD thread. If anyone wants to discuss with me, I am posting in the NPD thread. I'd rather keep it there instead of derailing Media Create here.

Splatoon bundle is not tracked at this Software chart. It won't be on Tsutaya's either.
Anyway, I'm just execting a 10k boost, for hardware and for Splatoon Software overall.
I know it's not tracked on those, I was just commenting on the not-so positive reports from numerous people in JP. Will probably boost Wii U to like 18K-ish, it's also kinda costly, and the value isnt all that amazing.

Vena

&#332;kami;185636267 said:

Wouldn't this make it statistically irrelevant? How many stores is this? Also rather surprising how different it is from COMG, if you pulled a pie of that it'd be a pac-man.

Edit:

Xbro

Wouldn't this make it statistically irrelevant? How many stores is this? Also rather surprising how different it is from COMG, if you pulled a pie of that it'd be a pac-man.

Edit:

Oh you....I was just about to post a pie chart.

5dc2a4560f8087f19a519edff3d2b08c.png

Vena

Oh you....I was just about to post a pie chart.

Apologies. I thought it'd be prudent to put graphs to words right after posting.

Anyway, I'll be curious to know how many stores the former represents and the overall order #s. Graphs are rather meaningless without actual numbers and labels tied to them, especially pie charts as they are nothing more than relative % distribution which can be representing anything from 10 things to a 1,000,000 things with no distinction without clarification. I'd quote the COMG numbers with my graph if they weren't readily available in this thread and elsewhere for little effort.

Project X Zone 2 bombed, which is not surprising given the bad word of mouth the first one got. Its existence is solely due to Western sales - it sold 10 times the expectations over here.

So, DQH did ~31K in the US according to cream....

Poor numbers. SMTIV debuted at 75k units or so.

You do know SMTIV is a mainline SMT title and DQH isn't.

The comparison was just to highlight that NA audience for Japanese games exists - SMT is really a niche franchise that never sold high numbers, and the last mainline entry was on PS2, around 10 years ago. Also, DQ should be more popular than SMT among general public - DQVIII and IX both sold around 500k units in NA. But, again, the comparison wasn't really a direct one - DQ Heroes can be considered poor by themselves.

Golden Week is the biggest one, you see a lot of publishers structure game releases to coincide with it. Obon is also probably pretty important.

in term of sales neither GW nor Obon week is comparable to week 51 and 52, in term of releases recently we had a peak during the end of March, which is also the end of the fiscal year.

You do know SMTIV is a mainline SMT title and DQH isn't.

Persona 4 Golden did about 33K in its Vita debut when the system was far weaker. FFXHD Vita did around 70K+ in NPD(I recall seeing 73K or so, but was unsure if that was after two months or not).

Matching a Vita port's sales is not that great.

Top Bottom