• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2015 (Nov 2 - Nov 8)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Question for folks here. Given the recent localization announcement of DQ7 & DQ8 here, and the release of Dragon Quest Heroes, is Square Enix now trying to get Dragon Quest to be big in the West again and that's why things are getting localized?

Question for folks here. Given the recent localization announcement of DQ7 & DQ8 here, and the release of Dragon Quest Heroes, is Square Enix now trying to get Dragon Quest to be big in the West again and that's why things are getting localized?

SQEX hopes DQ will be big in the West - DQ Heroes initial sales didn't look promising, but they will try harder with all the other PS games. DQ Builders should come, and it will likely bomb as well. DQXI will probably be the only game to sell moderately well.

SQEX hopes DQ will be big in the West - DQ Heroes initial sales didn't look promising, but they will try harder with all the other PS games. DQ Builders should come, and it will likely bomb as well. DQXI will probably be the only game to sell moderately well.
What am I missing here? We never had any concrete numbers except an estimate for the UK. There have been no figures for US in the NPD.

You honestly think DQ VII and VIII have a higher chance of selling on 3DS in 2016 in the West than DQ XI PS4 or Builders?

Sandfox

What am I missing here? We never had any concrete numbers except an estimate for the UK. There have been no figures for US in the NPD.

You honestly think DQ VII and VIII have a higher chance of selling on 3DS in 2016 in the West than DQ XI PS4 or Builders?

I would expect them to do better than Builders.

I'm guessing those titles are coming due to a fair amount of interest from western 3DS owners and how previous rpgs have fared on the 3DS so far.

Also shouldn't Nintendo be given the credit here, since they are the publishers and likely the ones doing the localizations? SE barely lifts a finger in the west on 3DS, with Final Fantasy Explorers their only major 3DS localization since Kingdom Hearts 3D in 2012. No Theatrhythm isn't nearly as big of a project (IMO).

Nintendo's really pulled their weight with SE's 3DS games in the west; Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest 7, and Dragon Quest 8.

Sandfox

Also shouldn't Nintendo be given the credit here, since they are the publishers and likely the ones doing the localizations? SE barely lifts a finger in the west on 3DS, with Final Fantasy Explorers their only major 3DS localization since Kingdom Hearts 3D in 2012. No Theatrhythm isn't nearly as big of a project (IMO).
When I checked a certain website Nintendo wasn't listed as the publisher so that threw me off. In that case its probably just Nintendo bringing over two titles that fans have been demanding in order to fill some gaps in their release schedule.

When I checked a certain website Nintendo wasn't listed as the publisher so that threw me off. In that case its probably just Nintendo bringing over two titles that fans have been demanding in order to fill some gaps in their release schedule.

Which? Amazon and the Direct (via logo) only mentioned Nintendo.

Where did he say XI PS4 would do worse than the 3DS games ?

I expect VII and VIII to do pretty well in the west. There have been quite a few JRPG success stories in the west (Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Project X Zone, SMT IV and Tales of the Abyss all did very well).
The climate has changed, there is less competition now than there was on the DS and people are hungry for more JRPGs.

casiopao

Nintendo's really pulled their weight with SE's 3DS games in the west; Bravely Default, Bravely Second, Dragon Quest 7, and Dragon Quest 8.

I am actually kinda shocked that Nintendo will give any love for DQ again there considering how they are been treated lol with no Heroes and Builder on their platform.

But it seems the fact that Nintendo still love Jrpg and needed to fill their release gap, so they choose to give more love to the fans who have been keep asking for the series.^_^

Where did I write that?

Where did he say XI PS4 would do worse than the 3DS games ?

I expect VII and VIII to do pretty well in the west. There have been quite a few JRPG success stories in the west (Fire Emblem, Bravely Default, Project X Zone, SMT IV and Tales of the Abyss all did very well).
The climate has changed, there is less competition now than there was on the DS and people are hungry for more JRPGs.
I was asking him this question that what he thinks DQ VII and VIII will sell in the West compared to the PS4 iterations. He said DQ: Heroes sales weren't promising when all we have is the chart position in UK. In NPD Top 10, the last title on the list has sold atleast >150k so all the niche games like DQ:H, ToZ and Disgaea 5 are definitely not reaching that number anytime soon.

He also said Builders will flop hard and that is despite there being a PS4 version.

I think Nintendo are the one localizing Dragon Quest VII and VIII as I highly doubt SE are doing it themselves. But I do think Builders and DQ XI have a very high chance of coming to PS4 in the West, being published by SE, and their success depends on how they are marketed since SE barely tried with the marketing of Heroes.

Where did I write that?
I was asking you a question. That's all.

I don't think DQ VII or VIII will do any decent in the West considering the state of 3DS. But again SE has never really marketed Heroes and that is the only game that was released recently and Nintendo might do more than SE did for DQ VII and VIII.

Honestly I'm not expecting comgnet pre-orders for DQ Builder's to be as high as they could be. I think other retailers have exclusive pre-order deals and comgnet didn't have any. The goal probably isn't to just have front-loaded sales anyway with a title like this.

Found it: http://gematsu.com/2015/10/dragon-quest-builders-first-print-retailer-specific-bonuses-announced

first print bonus : available everywhere, COMG shops included I suppose

square-enix eshop : online only, not tracked

amazon : online only, not tracked (and amazon limited versions are common for most of the games)

aeon : afaik it's a supermarket chain, never seen there selling games, anyway I think it's not big

tsutaya : ok (and tracked), but as amazon it's something usual

bic camera/sofmap/kojima : ok (and tracked)

yodobashi : see above

lawson / lawson online : not tracked (but as other conbini chains they sell digital cards)

in the end I don't see a big difference as other releases, considering stores like Gamers which sometimes makes special editions is missing

I just think the only difference from Minecraft will be the customer target, due to the high price probably kids will ignore DQB while teenagers might move from Minecraft to DQB due to the popularity of the brand and having more money into their wallets

horuhe

Wasn't rakuten the retailer that had Lego selling better on Sony platforms last week?
Yes, it was. Not exactly as you said, it was really something like this 3DS>PS4=PS3>>WiiU, but yeah it was it was. You know, Tsutaya had WE in 14th position, and this week it almost never appears.

I was asking him this question that what he thinks DQ VII and VIII will sell in the West compared to the PS4 iterations. He said DQ: Heroes sales weren't promising when all we have is the chart position in UK. In NPD Top 10, the last title on the list has sold atleast >150k so all the niche games like DQ:H, ToZ and Disgaea 5 are definitely not reaching that number anytime soon.

He also said Builders will flop hard and that is despite there being a PS4 version.

I think Nintendo are the one localizing Dragon Quest VII and VIII as I highly doubt SE are doing it themselves. But I do think Builders and DQ XI have a very high chance of coming to PS4 in the West, being published by SE, and their success depends on how they are marketed since SE barely tried with the marketing of Heroes.

I don't think DQ VII or VIII will do any decent in the West considering the state of 3DS. But again SE has never really marketed Heroes and that is the only game that was released recently and Nintendo might do more than SE did for DQ VII and VIII.
nintendo basically localizes dq for the west coz se doesn't give a damn, they know nintendo will be willing to do it

dq is about as established on the 3ds as it is on the ps4 in the west, as they both have had minor titles released for it and despite 3ds being its last legs, it seems to be doing ok in the west compared to japan, good hardware sales will get u future support, but it won't have any problem selling any titles released for it, the userbase is there

dq has also been nintendo, specifically handheld property for awhile now, which is an advantage it has over the ps4

i think dqxi will localized for both in the west, unless it flops hard on one platform, which i find unlikely

i think this was obvious when dqxi was announced for ps4, it definitely wasn't for the japan sales potential

SQEX marketed DQ Heroes quite a bit. Of course, the marketing was targeted the supposedly Japanese game fanbase on PS4 - but it wasn't a stealth release at all. The fact that DQ was coming back to PS was a big deal.

Dio

Banned
The Battlefront bump is probably going to be pretty big in Japan. I was in Nakano today and there was a group of Japanese customers staring in interest at some of the Battlefront footage playing in front of one of the game stores' televisions. In fact, every time I see any SW BF stuff in a JP store there's always some people looking in interest. I think it's going to drive a hell of a lot of PS4s there.

The Battlefront bump is probably going to be pretty big in Japan. I was in Nakano today and there was a group of Japanese customers staring in interest at some of the Battlefront footage playing in front of one of the game stores' televisions. In fact, every time I see any SW BF stuff in a JP store there's always some people looking in interest. I think it's going to drive a hell of a lot of PS4s there.
it'll have a better debut than previous star wars due to the increase in overall western titles selling in japan and the relatively little competition on the ps4 itself, general hype from the movie will also help

i think 100k fw is likely and will push hardware/software sales similar to cod overall

SQEX marketed DQ Heroes quite a bit. Of course, the marketing was targeted the supposedly Japanese game fanbase on PS4 - but it wasn't a stealth release at all. The fact that DQ was coming back to PS was a big deal.

He's clearly talking about the West. What marketing did DQH have there?
We don't even know how it did -____-

Darius

Banned

Honesty, I don´t think they´ve done themselves any favours in forgoing DQ releases after DQMJ2. It has been almost 5 years overall since then, and will be 5-6 years until they make a return to handhelds, even more if you just consider mainline entries (including remakes). We are looking at a timeframe that is almost a complete console generation, in which it didn´t see noteworthy actions in promoting the IP at all. It seems Hori was interested in localizations and the problem lied more on SQEX.

Looking at Nintendo publishing Bravely Default and Bravely Second, I think they would have localized the 3DS Dragon Quest games earlier if it weren´t for DQH, considering got the DQ7 as well as DQ8 announcements for 3DS, right after the launch of DQH. Even more telling that we are getting both games next year.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think it was a big deal outside of point of interest business wise and on gaming centric forums like NeoGAF. The sales numbers (eventhough that we dont have all of it) also seems to reflect that.

I dont think it was a big deal outside of point of interest business wise and on gaming centric forums like NeoGAF. The sales numbers (eventhough that we dont have all of it) also seems to reflect that.

There are Japanese games that are advertised very little, or just towards a dedicated fanbase, and can still sell really well (e.g. some of the latest Tales of, Bravely Default). DQ was quite a bif deal among gamers who like Japanese games - being the first DQ games on PS platforms since 2005, and the marking of DQ comeback on Sony's. In reality, apparently a few care, which doesn't bode well for future entries bar the mainline one.

isn't dqh the best selling ps4 game in japan? how was it not a big deal and in what world does the sales reflect that

wait mgs takes that title i think, i was thinking combined, either way it is still a big title

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't have very high expectations for Dragon Quest XI in the West given the JRPG genre is in tatters, but I don't think Musou is a very good barometer of that.

Similarly I don't think Theatrhythm spells huge trouble for Final Fantasy as opposed to general market conditions just being unfavorable for FF15 being nearly as big as your average WRPG in the West.

sense

There are Japanese games that are advertised very little, or just towards a dedicated fanbase, and can still sell really well (e.g. some of the latest Tales of, Bravely Default). DQ was quite a bif deal among gamers who like Japanese games - being the first DQ games on PS platforms since 2005, and the marking of DQ comeback on Sony's. In reality, apparently a few care, which doesn't bode well for future entries bar the mainline one.

lets conveniently forget that this is an "action rpg" with the popular presumption being it is a musou releasing at 60 dollars releasing during a busy season when the major coverage of games is elsewhere

Not just Dragon Quest, they are bringing pretty much everything over.

They are much better managed than they were last generation.

I don't have very high expectations for Dragon Quest XI in the West given the JRPG genre is in tatters, but I don't think Musou is a very good barometer of that.

Similarly I don't think Theatrhythm spells huge trouble for Final Fantasy as opposed to general market conditions just being unfavorable for FF15 being nearly as big as your average WRPG in the West.

Didnt Ni No Kuni sell a million in the west?

I think the western JRPG fans are going to flock to DQ11, alot of the JRPGs coming out are action RPGs, DQ11 is one of the few traditional turn based games coming out on PS4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I think the western JRPG fans are going to flock to DQ11, alot of the JRPGs coming out are action RPGs, DQ11 is one of the few traditional turn based games coming out on PS4.
I guess it's about what scale we're talking here.

1-2 million seems probable, but that'd also be pretty small for a flagship RPG.

It wouldn't matter given what the game will sell in Japan mind, but that was the context I was assuming here. Otherwise I'm not sure what we're actually doubting about the title's sales potential given how JRPGs have been selling and the platforms the game is coming to.

Eolz

I don't think it's due to the JRPG genre, it's pretty normal to not have high expectations for DQXI in the west due to DQ's lack of popularity in the west.

Celine

As December 2014, Ni No Kuni (PS3) has shipped 1.10 million units worldwide.

I don't see how a rhythm'n'game can be comparable to an action-RPG when talking about userbase overlapping in the jRPG genre - I can totally see a Western jRPG fan being interested in an action-based DQ with respect to a rhythm FF. DQ Heroes serves a better appetizer to a DQ mainline entry with respect to TFF to a FF mainline entry; after all, DQ Heroes "is not a Musou" but more of an action-RPG (this was said by the producer and gamers totally knew that), and we have already seen how the Asian audience accepted and bought the game despite not being a traditional jRPG.

lets conveniently forget that this is an "action rpg" with the popular presumption being it is a musou releasing at 60 dollars releasing during a busy season when the major coverage of games is elsewhere

Or, simpler, PS4 userbase is not interested in DQ - DQ Heroes is still an action-RPG with all beloved DQ characters, and was highly appreciated by Japanese gamers - meaning that the fact that was being developed by KT wasn't a deterrent. Actually, I can totally see an action-RPG being more than welcomed in Western markets with respect to traditional turn-based jRPGs.

test_account

XP-39C²
Exactly, it was a big deal for personal reasons for a group of people, and also a point of interest in terms of business decisions, but it was not a big deal sales wise. Same thing with DQ7 and 8 for 3DS as well, its a big deal for those who have been waiting for the localization of those games, but i dont think those titles are being seen as a big deal sales wise in the west.

Rolf NB

They need to get their eggs out of the 3DS basket before the well dries up, but betting on NX seems risky at this point.
Reaching a global audience again is definitely a motivation as well, just not sure if it's the primary one.

I kind of see a taken responsibility here to help foster the market you're extracting profits from. A stark contrast to the Wada era. I like it.

They need to get their eggs out of the 3DS basket before the well dries up, but betting on NX seems risky at this point.
Reaching a global audience again is definitely a motivation as well, just not sure if it's the primary one.

I kind of see a taken responsibility here to help foster the market you're extracting profits from. A stark contrast to the Wada era. I like it

Yeah its not even close. PS3 era was a disaster for the most part. This gen SE has as good of a lineup as anyone , spread over a variety of platforms.

Darius

Banned
SQEX lineup this gen isn´t that different compared to last gen, I would argue that overall they even have slowed down, when it comes to dedicated videogame systems.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't see how a rhythm'n'game can be comparable to an action-RPG when talking about userbase overlapping in the jRPG genre - I can totally see a Western jRPG fan being interested in an action-based DQ with respect to a rhythm FF. DQ Heroes serves a better appetizer to a DQ mainline entry with respect to TFF to a FF mainline entry; after all, DQ Heroes "is not a Musou" but more of an action-RPG (this was said by the producer and gamers totally knew that), and we have already seen how the Asian audience accepted and bought the game despite not being a traditional jRPG.
I'll be very frank. Dragon Quest Heroes looks like total garbage compared to the action RPGs Westerners are used to.

I expect Dragon Quest XI to compare significantly better to its genre contemporaries.

Like seriously, for the same price (or less) you can get Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Destiny + The Taken King, Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition, who is the audience for this?

Oregano

I'll be very frank. Dragon Quest Heroes looks like total garbage compared to the action RPGs Westerners are used to.

I expect Dragon Quest XI to compare significantly better to its genre contemporaries.

Like seriously, for the same price (or less) you can get Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Destiny + The Taken King, Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition, who is the audience for this?

I was going to suggest it was aimed at the audience that made Hyrule Warriors a massive success but it's not really aimed at them either.

Darius

Banned

I´ll be frank as well, PS4s audience mainly consists of the so called "dude-bros" nowadays. Even a better game behind the same concept wouldn´t have performed much better. DQ11 will sell better than DQH, but mainly because there´ll be a far better marketing campaign behind it because it´s part of the mainline series and it won´t suffer the stigma of beeing a spin-off, but even if it was the best game in its genre it won´t come close to popular western Rpgs and most likely there´ll also be quite a big cliff between this and FF15 saleswise.

It isn´t even just a matter of beeing an established IP, but simply a matter of the audience that more often than not, aren´t to fond of cartoony graphics. While you sometimes get a different impression in dedicated forums like this, due to very vocal nostalgic gamers, there has been a notable shift in the last decade, starting with PS3 and Sonys focus in western games, these kind of games have been pushed and the focus in marketing for years be it Microsoft or Sony, while others have been mostly neglected. JRPGs didn´t become niche overnight for no reason.

The point is, those games are substitutes to DQ Heroes - the latter is not (at least, totally) aimed at those who would buy a Western TPS, FPS or RPG. It is aimed at those who would buy a jRPG, or at least Japanese IP from the "beloved PS2-era". The fact is, this audience is non-existance on current home platforms - and might well not come anytime soon, even considering huge Japanese games such FF and KH.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
As December 2014, Ni No Kuni (PS3) has shipped 1.10 million units worldwide.

This game was given almost free after some point.
___

YSO predictions

Week 46, 2015 (Nov 16 - Nov 22)

01. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront < 120k (average 85k)
02. [WIU] Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival < 60k (average 45k)
03. [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book < 40k (average 30k)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

I guess what's the definition of "in tatters"? I'm presuming Pokemon is considered an exception, but things like Bravely Default's and Fire Emblem Awakening's success don't count either? Btw, other than Ni no Kuni, what RPGs actually sold well on PS3? I think the 3DS actually had better Western sales for their RPGs than the PS3 did surprisingly (although to be fair, I have no idea about European numbers).

This game was given almost free after some point
___

YSO predictions

Week 46, 2015 (Nov 16 - Nov 22)

01. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront < 120k (average 85k)
02. [3DS] [WIU] Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival < 60k (average 45k)
03. [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book < 40k (average 30k)

Um, Amiibo Festival doesn't release for 3DS though.

Also apparently Amiibos unlock songs in Taiko?
http://gonintendo.com/stories/246874-taiko-drum-master-atsumete-tomodachi-dai-sakusen-more-amiib

Oregano

I guess what's the definition of "in tatters"? I'm presuming Pokemon is considered an exception, but things like Bravely Default's and Fire Emblem Awakening's success don't count either? Btw, other than Ni no Kuni, what RPGs actually sold well on PS3? I think the 3DS actually had better Western sales for their RPGs than the PS3 did surprisingly (although to be fair, I have no idea about European numbers).

Um, Amiibo Festival doesn't release for 3DS though.

Well stuff like Bravely Default, Project x Zone and Shin Megami Tensei 4 have all done great relative to their project size but nowhere near as good as Dragon Quest IX and I imagine Square Enix wants to beat that otherwise making a PS4 was kinda pointless.

Fire Emblem was the only big breakout so far this gen.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well stuff like Bravely Default, Project x Zone and Shin Megami Tensei 4 have all done great relative to their project size but nowhere near as good as Dragon Quest IX and I imagine Square Enix wants to beat that otherwise making a PS4 was kinda pointless.

Fire Emblem was the only big breakout so far this gen.

Bravely sold over 1 million worldwide and thus at least 600-700K in the West right? Whereas DQ9 was 1M in the West or something? I wouldn't put Bravely in the same category as SMT4 and PxZone though... Bravely Second is likely going to fall to those lows though thanks to SQEX T_T.

Oregano

Bravely sold over 1 million worldwide and thus at least 600-700K in the West right? Whereas DQ9 was 1M in the West or something? I wouldn't put Bravely in the same category as SMT4 and PxZone though... Bravely Second is likely going to fall to those lows though thanks to SQEX T_T.

Well the gap between SMTIV(~350k+) and Bravely Default (~600k+) is probably smaller than the gap between Bravely Default and Dragon Quest IX and as I said they probably want to beat DQIX.

L~A

is pokken getting a wiiu bundle on march 18?

Previous page ;)

Also, Pokkén Tournament will get a Wii U bundle, no price yet.

Unfortunately, we have no idea what the bundle contains (most likely a regular Wii U premium set and the game, maybe with some amiibo cards or something since the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card that comes with all first-print copies implies there will be a Pokkén/Pokémon series of amiibo cards.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Well the gap between SMTIV(~350k+) and Bravely Default (~600k+) is probably smaller than the gap between Bravely Default and Dragon Quest IX and as I said they probably want to beat DQIX.

SMT4 did that well abroad? Didn't realize that to be honest. I remember a # like 90K for the US. Cool to see.

Previous page ;)

Unfortunately, we have no idea what the bundle contains (most likely a regular Wii U premium set and the game, maybe with some amiibo cards or something since the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card that comes with all first-print copies implies there will be a Pokkén/Pokémon series of amiibo cards.

Don't worry, they'll make sure it costs more than every other Wii U bundle previously released.

Oregano

SMT4 did that well abroad? Didn't realize that to be honest. I remember a # like 90K for the US. Cool to see.

Don't worry, they'll make sure it costs more than every other Wii U bundle previously released.

Well they announced it had sold 600k worldwide quite recently and I might be mistaken but I think it was around/below 250k in Japan. Of course it also had very nice sale prices on the eShop whereas Bravely Default has kept its value.

the only thing we can be sure is that the price will be higher than the last bundle (Splatoon), which was higher than the previous bundle (Mario Maker), which was higher than the previous bundle, which was higher than the previous bundle... and so on :D

Top Bottom