• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2015 (Nov 2 - Nov 8)

sörine

Banned
So, what's your opinion about Minecraft apparently finally coming to WiiU (for the japanese market obviously)?
Could it still get as good numbers as on Vita, and is there overlap with the Splatoon audience? Or is that just something that won't really do anything apart from the first week?
Should've been on 3DS.

tumblr_nfjqqoKwIz1te1xnqo1_500.gif

A cat with 2 tails and ... a spermatozoon?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Right, this in itself might not do especially well. Looking at One Piece Warriors on PC, it did about 50K (and was a very troubled port, which I'd put down as a worst case scenario event for the DQH port).

I just view it as an interesting corporate initiative of bothering to do the port despite headwinds.

It's a follow-up on releasing the Dragon Quest paid apps on mobile in the West as well, which I can't imagine made much money, but have yet to discourage them.

It's a tone change for the series and how they're handling it in the West. We'll find out over time if this applies to their other more niche Japaense series as well.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
19./00. [3DS] LEGO Jurassic World (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.11.05} - 3.794 / NEW
30./00. [WIU] LEGO Jurassic World (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.11.05} - 2.235 / NEW

37./00. [PS4] LEGO Jurassic World (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2015.11.05} - 1.687 / NEW

Lego didn't even chart in Dengeki on PS3? Ouch. Seems like what audience is there on the PS ecosystem is on PS4.

Mory Dunz

Latest example from last month's NPD: 7.) Disney Infinity 3.0 (360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3) (it's funny how Sony keeps making these deals with Disney, but kids clearly don't care for these games on PS4 & PS3 lol)
Didn't ps4 have Bundle that wasn't counted though? Not sure how much it did

sörine;185153090 said:
Should've been on 3DS.

At this point Minecraft wouldn't sell too many 3DS I think, and it's not like Minecraft really "needs" the 3DS even though it'd assuredly sell great. They may not want to release a super gimped version and they can afford to skip one platform.

But Minecraft as a launch game on NX needs to happen. Or, depending on when the NX releases, in time for its first holiday season at least.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Wii U is irrelevant in the US and most Americans have already bought Minecraft elsewhere.

Doesn't matter if the Wii U has a larger share in a smaller market, it has sold more and still sells more in the US (technically the Americas, but other than Canada the region's numbers are probably low.) I just showed this with proof.

We have no reason to believe Minecraft has reached saturation when it's a consistent top 10 NPD game for the retail version in a larger market (maybe it won't show up this one, who knows.) Virtually guaranteed the US market is more important for Microsoft for Minecraft than Japan, this isn't 3DS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The idea of Minecraft is to release it wherever they feel they will reach a number of new customers with a satisfactory experience.

Most games that appeal to children have the same release model these days. Just look at the Toys To Life genre. They're even tripping over themselves to get on Apple TV.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Mario Tennis Wii U is January 28th ww

It's only Jan 28th in Japan though? US still has it as 11/20. Not sure about EU?

Release dates I've got for Japan

Wii U:
Mario Tennis Ultra Smash - 1/28/2016 (JP)
Twilight Princess HD - 3/10/2016 (JP)
Pokken - 3/18 Japan
Star Fox Zero - 4/21 (JP)
Zelda Wii U - still 2016

3DS
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam - 12/3/2015 (JP)
Hyrule Warriors Legends: 1/21 (JP)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 3DS - 2/18 (JP)

saw something called Culdcept Revolt (3DS) on the Japanese stream?

Thanks to the localizations, the Western 3DS release slate had a lot more to show at the Direct. Third parties had already announced most of the games for Japan beforehand :).

Ōkami

2016 for WiiU so far is.

28/01 Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
18/02 Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games
10/03 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
18/03 Pokken Tournament
21/04 Star Fox Zero

Arguably the best first quarter the WiiU has ever had (I know, Star Fox isn't Q1)

What's kind of funny is that Q1 (arguably) biggest release is a set of games that came out 20 years ago.

Eolz

Meh, my thread was locked, but it's nice to see S-E and Nintendo in a good relationship lately.
Pretty nice last year for both consoles in terms of quality imo.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ōkami;185243636 said:
2016 for WiiU so far is.

28/01 Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
18/02 Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games
10/03 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
18/03 Pokken Tournament
21/04 Star Fox Zero

Arguably the best first quarter the WiiU has ever had (I know, Star Fox isn't Q1)

What's kind of funny is that Q1 biggest release is a set of games that came out 20 years ago.

You really think that retail release will be big? Isn't it just some download cards? Was Mario & Sonic for Wii U as well? Didn't realize.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Daily Chart (2015.11.12)

01./01. [3DS] Disney Magic World 2
02./02. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III
03./00. [3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World
04./00. [PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
05./05. [WiiU] Splatoon

Amiibo products were very popular yesterday, especially the Fire Emblem ones (Lucina and Robin/Daraen), and Wii U sold more than PS4, of course because of the Splatoon bundle.

I wonder if Linkle can make the Zelda franchise a bit more popular in Japan.

Linkle amiibo needs to happen at some point. It would be great if she was a playable character in the new Zelda game too.

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-Through {2015.11.12}

[3DS] Project X Zone 2: Brave New World # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.171) - almost 50%. It dropped from the past entry

[PS4] Assassin's Creed: Syndicate <ACT> (Ubisoft) (¥9.072) - 40%

[PS4] Need for Speed <RCE> (Electronic Arts) (¥8.424) - 60%

[WIU] [PS4] [PS3] Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.776) - 20%

[XB1] Rise of the Tomb Raider # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥7.452) - 60%

Rabbids Land

[WIU] Art Academy: Home Studio <HOB> (Nintendo) (¥3.996) - 7%
[3DS] Kaite Oboeru: DoraGana <EDU> (Shogakukan) (¥4.860) - ;)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
First Day Sell-Through {2015.11.12}
[WIU] [PS4] [PS3] Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.776) - 20%
Rabbids Land

[WIU] Art Academy: Home Studio <HOB> (Nintendo) (¥3.996) - 7%
Ouch at these two.... Do we expect Disney Infinity to sell more in the holidays?

sörine

Banned
At this point Minecraft wouldn't sell too many 3DS I think, and it's not like Minecraft really "needs" the 3DS even though it'd assuredly sell great. They may not want to release a super gimped version and they can afford to skip one platform.

But Minecraft as a launch game on NX needs to happen. Or, depending on when the NX releases, in time for its first holiday season at least.
If Minecraft wants to be a multimillion seller this gen in Japan, it definitely "needs" 3DS.

Are there numbers for previous Star Wars games? I keep reading about how Battlefront is apparently going to eat Japan alive and it seemed weird because I don't remember how any previous SW games performed.

Ōkami

Are there numbers for previous Star Wars games? I keep reading about how Battlefront is apparently going to eat Japan alive and it seemed weird because I don't remember how any previous SW games performed.
I really think its more wishful thinking by those people, given that western games are doing good now and the game is doing alright on preorders.

Nontheless, historically Star Wars games have performed rather poorly in Japan, even those released alongisde the prequel movies.

This is some of the data I have

[PS1 ] Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace: 11.124 / 11.124 Square EA 09/12/1999

[PS2 ] Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith : 19.335 / 61.221 Electronic Arts 09/07/2005
[PS2] Star Wars: Battlefront II: 14.532 / 27.419 Electronic Arts 26/01/2006
[PS2 ] Star Wars: Battlefront: 6.566 / 16.739 Electronic Arts 07/10/2004
[PS2 ] Star Wars: The Force Unleashed: 1.900 / 1.900 Activision 09/10/2008

[PSP] Star Wars: Battlefront II : ? / 17.878 Electronic Arts 06/04/2006

[XBX] Star Wars: Republic Commando: 5.378 / 5.378 Electronic Arts 17/02/2005

[N64 ]Star Wars Episode I: Racer: 32.403 / 87.826 Nintendo 21/07/1999
[N64 ]Star Wars: Rogue Squadron: 18.113 / 44.337 Nintendo 28/11/1997
[N64 ]Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire: 18.534 / 28.038 Nintendo 14/06/1997

sörine

Banned
Right, this in itself might not do especially well. Looking at One Piece Warriors on PC, it did about 50K (and was a very troubled port, which I'd put down as a worst case scenario event for the DQH port).

I just view it as an interesting corporate initiative of bothering to do the port despite headwinds.

It's a follow-up on releasing the Dragon Quest paid apps on mobile in the West as well, which I can't imagine made much money, but have yet to discourage them.

It's a tone change for the series and how they're handling it in the West. We'll find out over time if this applies to their other more niche Japaense series as well.
It's worth mentioning that while 50k is hardly great, it's also still better than OPPW3 did on any other platform in the west. It's first NPD was 15k total.

SE is definitely shooting in all directions to try and establish a western base for DQ rather than put all their eggs in one basket. And that's the right approach I think.

Sterok

So, how did Japan react to the Smash news? Excited I assume.

Wonder how these will do. Boxed digital codes are counted right?

xlSyjV6.jpg

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw, are folks thinking Twilight Princess HD might do worse than Wind Waker HD in Japan? Or will the larger active install base save it a bit?

random25

Btw, are folks thinking Twilight Princess HD might do worse than Wind Waker HD in Japan? Or will the larger active install base save it a bit?

I'd say TPHD will sell much better than WWHD. I think TP is one of the most popular Zelda games, so that may factor in.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'd say TPHD will sell much better than WWHD. I think TP is one of the most popular Zelda games, so that may factor in.

It sold well but i doubt its more popular than WindWaker - i see TP selling better though since the Userbase has grown quite a bit since Wind Waker and ...well the Wolf Amiibo lol.

random25

It sold well but i doubt its more popular than WindWaker - i see TP selling better though since the Userbase has grown quite a bit since Wind Waker and ...well the Wolf Amiibo lol.

Is amiibo really that helpful in Japan though? The only amiibo I can remember that kinda helped the related game to spread popularity is the Splatoon set, as well as the amiibo cards from AC. But yeah, more userbase should help by at least a little.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

The original release of Wind Waker sold more in Japan than Twilight Princess actually despite the smaller userbase. GC Twilight Princess was only sold online in Japan or something (it was a very limited run).

GC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Nintendo 6800 742,609

WII The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 145,068 554,109 Nintendo 2006-12-02

sörine;185286887 said:
It's worth mentioning that while 50k is hardly great, it's also still better than OPPW3 did on any other platform in the west. It's first NPD was 15k total.

SE is definitely shooting in all directions to try and establish a western base for DQ rather than put all their eggs in one basket. And that's the right approach I think.

50k is global number for Steam when 15k is only for US. Europe is far stronger market for One Piece games. OPPW3 sold more in France alone first month than in US. I don't think you can safely say that Steam was the highest selling platform for the game.

Alrus

sörine;185286887 said:

Yeah, no. One Piece is still pretty big in Europe (because 4 kids didn't ruin the franchise chance here) and I'm sure it sold much more than 50k in Europe alone.

I just think that N is milking a little too much Zelda franchise (Zelda Musou, ALBW, Majora remake, TPHD, Zelda 4 Adv, Zelda Musou 3DS and Zelda U in just 3 years)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To follow up on a discussion from an early October Media Create thread about Fallout 4 versus Skyrim:

The hype surrounding Fallout seems kind of different than Skyrim's. I'm guessing it's due to being less impressive compared to titles being released around the same time than compared to Skyrim. I'm still expecting to do like 7-9 million but the LTD being like 15 million
This is part in what I meant with Skyrim being a perfect storm. It was, at the time, a bit of a snowflake vs. if it had come out today.
Skyrim flourished on word of mouth, mods, and the community it developed that spread the title like wildfire over the internet.

I don't doubt that F4 will have similar boons to its cause but it may not be as extreme because Skyrim was a perfect storm of sorts and, in many ways, continues to exist strongly enough as to impede future in some ways (especially with modding effectively making it an evergreen title in terms of content, graphics, and performance). Of course, a new title bring a new engine to mod and new options.

Then again, the whole culture of these AAA titles now is full on-hype cycles and hype-machines, so...
I think a much bigger hurdle is that's it is not a fantasy game and doesn't carry that audience with it. A post apocalyptic theme just doesn't appeal in the same way.
It doesn't pull much of a female audience while fantasy RPGs often do. It just gives it a wider reach. I just don't see Fallout doing much better than the older ones and I'm much more of a fan than Skyrim which I didn't even buy.

Fallout 4 has shipped 12 million on launch day compared to 7 million for Skyrim.

We'll see if it can generate a good bump in Japan as well, though the platform situation is much more difficult there.

Darius

Banned
From Falcoms financial report. Falcom suffered a decline, ~40%-45% yoy

year on year comparison (in million yen)

Total Sales

Operating Profit

Operating Income

Current Net Income

sörine

Banned
50k is global number for Steam when 15k is only for US. Europe is far stronger market for One Piece games. OPPW3 sold more in France alone first month than in US. I don't think you can safely say that Steam was the highest selling platform for the game.
I think it's a safe bet. France is by far the biggest OP market in Europe and it's not especially popular in the UK (and the PAL charts reflected that). Unless you consider "PlayStation ecosystem" a singular platform then Steam most likely took the top spot outside Japan.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I just think that N is milking a little too much Zelda franchise (Zelda Musou, ALBW, Majora remake, TPHD, Zelda 4 Adv, Zelda Musou 3DS and Zelda U in just 3 years)

I agree honestly. I think TP HD is not very smart considering the # of titles they've released recently.

Mory Dunz

I agree honestly. I think TP HD is not very smart considering the # of titles they've released recently.

Dunno, I could see it doing decently (more in the west) with the amiibo bundle.

And maybe it isn't all that expensive.

Given that it looks decent if not unspectactular, I probably would've preferred Sunshine, but oh well.

Top Bottom